IRS Tax Compliance Officer Interview Questions

2.2

Tax Compliance Officer Interview

Interview

I applied and did not receive a response for 2 months. Then I received notification via email that I made the best qualified list and I was invited to complete an online assessment. I completed an online interactive assessment and a month later I received a call for an interview. Two weeks after the interview I received notification I was hired and I would start 2 weeks after I received the call. From submitting the application to hiring it took about 4 months.

Interview Questions

• How well do you handle pressure with competing deadlines?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is no negotiation.

Other Interview Reviews for IRS

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at IRS (Rochester, NY) in August 2012.

Interview

I was interviewing for a job in Maryland but did the interview at another IRS office. I dressed up and the person who was at the other location, said you can relax, it is just a phone interview..... Needless to say the interview went well. The phone interview was with my feature manager and one other manager at a different location. A few weeks later I was sent an email with the offer letter.

Interview Questions

• None really, they even asked me a few math questions which I did in my head. I think the person who was there to watch me during the interview was impress. For the 2nd math question, I did use the person calculator even thou I still had the answer but just wanted to double check. I got no feedback from the managers during the time.   Answer Question

Negotiation

None, as it is done by OPM

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greensboro, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at IRS (Greensboro, NC) in September 2009.

Interview

This was an internal posting. I submitted an application via fax machine. A few days later, I received an email offering me an opportunity to interview for the position. I accepted, and the following morning I interviewed for the position. That same evening, I was offered and accepted the position by email.

Interview Questions

• If you were given several tasks to be completed by the end of the day, in what order would you complete them and why.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There is no negotiation of salaries in the federal government. We follow the salary guides outlined by OPM (Office of Personnel Management).

Tax Compliance Officer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at IRS in June 2009.

Interview

I applied online for a TCO (grade 5/7/9) position. Part of the application process is to complete an online skills test that had 3 separate parts. Your score on that test, plus your resume and education level, determined your category rating (A,B,C) for each grade you apply for. I received a Category A for grade 9. Three months after I applied, I got an email asking me to call for an interview slot. I interviewed a few days after I called, and had an approximately 1 hour interview with 3 individuals. It was two group managers and a territory manager. The interview questions consisted of both personality/customer service (what would you do if a taxpayer did such-and-such) and skill/math questions, including how you arrived at your answer. Since the job involves auditing records and dealing with people face-to-face, they want to see how you'd handle it and if you can think on your feet. They wrote down all the answers to my questions on forms. The managers I interviewed with were very pleasant but I got zero feedback on my answers to the questions. They described the job for me in more detail after the questions and then asked if I had any questions. After the interview, it was about a week before I got an email offering me the position, which I accepted.

Interview Questions

• A taxpayer provides you with telephone records that show 60% personal use and 40% business use. His monthly bill is $75. How much of a deduction for business use would you allow on his taxes for the entire year?   3 Answers

Negotiation

I had no experience other than a graduate degree before getting the position offer, so I was unable to negotiate, but I know those in public/private accounting with their CPAs were able to negotiate to make at least what they were earning at their previous jobs.