IRS Tax Compliance Officer Interview Questions

2.0

3 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Rochester, NY
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at IRS in August 2012.

I was interviewing for a job in Maryland but did the interview at another IRS office. I dressed up and the person who was at the other location, said you can relax, it is just a phone interview..... Needless to say the interview went well. The phone interview was with my feature manager and one other manager at a different location. A few weeks later I was sent an email with the offer letter.

Interview Questions
  • None really, they even asked me a few math questions which I did in my head. I think the person who was there to watch me during the interview was impress. For the 2nd math question, I did use the person calculator even thou I still had the answer but just wanted to double check. I got no feedback from the managers during the time.   Answer Question
None, as it is done by OPM

Other Interview Reviews for IRS

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Greensboro, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greensboro, NC

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at IRS in September 2009.

This was an internal posting. I submitted an application via fax machine. A few days later, I received an email offering me an opportunity to interview for the position. I accepted, and the following morning I interviewed for the position. That same evening, I was offered and accepted the position by email.

Interview Questions
    • If you were given several tasks to be completed by the end of the day, in what order would you complete them and why.   View Answer
    There is no negotiation of salaries in the federal government. We follow the salary guides outlined by OPM (Office of Personnel Management).

Tax Compliance Officer Interview

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at IRS in June 2009.

I applied online for a TCO (grade 5/7/9) position. Part of the application process is to complete an online skills test that had 3 separate parts. Your score on that test, plus your resume and education level, determined your category rating (A,B,C) for each grade you apply for. I received a Category A for grade 9. Three months after I applied, I got an email asking me to call for an interview slot. I interviewed a few days after I called, and had an approximately 1 hour interview with 3 individuals. It was two group managers and a territory manager. The interview questions consisted of both personality/customer service (what would you do if a taxpayer did such-and-such) and skill/math questions, including how you arrived at your answer. Since the job involves auditing records and dealing with people face-to-face, they want to see how you'd handle it and if you can think on your feet. They wrote down all the answers to my questions on forms.

The managers I interviewed with were very pleasant but I got zero feedback on my answers to the questions. They described the job for me in more detail after the questions and then asked if I had any questions. After the interview, it was about a week before I got an email offering me the position, which I accepted.

Interview Questions
    • A taxpayer provides you with telephone records that show 60% personal use and 40% business use. His monthly bill is $75. How much of a deduction for business use would you allow on his taxes for the entire year?   View Answers (3)
    I had no experience other than a graduate degree before getting the position offer, so I was unable to negotiate, but I know those in public/private accounting with their CPAs were able to negotiate to make at least what they were earning at their previous jobs.

Worked for IRS? Contribute to the Community!