IRS

Getting the Interview

5 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Tax Examiner Interview

I applied online and interviewed at IRS.

Interview Details – Initial hiring is based on an online application, screening, and scoring system. Itf referred for consideration, it is more of a process for lower level than an interview. Application should NOT be a one or two page resume. Make it relevant, but be sure to be as detailed as possible.

Negotiation Details – Not applicable.

Philadelphia, PA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at IRS.

Interview Details – There was a job application to fill out at their site. There was also a test of general basic skills that a high school graduate would have followed by a brief interview for those who passed. The interviewer just asked if I was fine with the job conditions and requirements (such as wearing a headset, etc.). There were no questions on my backgroud or qualifications.

Negotiation Details – none

Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at IRS in February 2013.

Interview Details – Initially, I had to apply through the federal job website, then complete numerous processing forms (e.g. background check form, tax compliance form) and fingerprinting. Subsequently, I was contacted over the phone and had a brief interview with the hiring manager. The interview consisted of about six or seven questions and lasted about 15 - 20 minutes.

Interview Question – How do you deal with handling customer concerns?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It just necessitated replying to a job offer email.

Ogden, UT

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at IRS in February 2008.

Interview Details – I found the job listing on a job board and was asked to come in for a test. It was a similar test to the SAT. Once my score was tabulated, I spoke briefly with a recruiter who placed me in a position. It was an easy process, really, but there are a lot of background checks you must submit to to work for the government.

Interview Question – You have to submit to annual training to affirm that you won't disclose any sensitive taxpayer information. There is a lot that goes into that, and it's often difficult for some people to comply.   View Answer

Tax Examiner

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at IRS in January 2011.

Interview Details – You must apply online using usajobs.gov. If you have a 4-year degree, you should automatically qualify. If you're a military veteran or have prior service in any federal agency, you will be on a preferred list and be contacted before those who do not.
You'll receive an email telling you to report to the local campus, where you will get fingerprinted and fill out a bazillion forms. Make sure to know where you've worked and lived for the past 10 years for the background check. Make sure you are current and paid in full for both state & federal tax obligations.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation.

Interviews for Top Jobs at IRS

Worked for IRS? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at IRS Tax Examiner interview questions and advice. All 5 interview reviews posted anonymously by IRS employees and interview candidates.