IRS

Updated Jul 27, 2014

1.5

6 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Tax Examiner Interview

I applied online – interviewed at IRS.

Well, there is nothing exceptional about it at all. Its an interview for a government position. If you fill out all there paperwork it should be smooth sailing. Just make sure you DO finish all your paperwork. That is key.

Other Interview Reviews for IRS

Tax Examiner Interview

I applied online – interviewed at IRS.

Initial hiring is based on an online application, screening, and scoring system. Itf referred for consideration, it is more of a process for lower level than an interview. Application should NOT be a one or two page resume. Make it relevant, but be sure to be as detailed as possible.

Not applicable.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at IRS.

There was a job application to fill out at their site. There was also a test of general basic skills that a high school graduate would have followed by a brief interview for those who passed. The interviewer just asked if I was fine with the job conditions and requirements (such as wearing a headset, etc.). There were no questions on my backgroud or qualifications.

none

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at IRS in February 2013.

Initially, I had to apply through the federal job website, then complete numerous processing forms (e.g. background check form, tax compliance form) and fingerprinting. Subsequently, I was contacted over the phone and had a brief interview with the hiring manager. The interview consisted of about six or seven questions and lasted about 15 - 20 minutes.

Interview Questions
    It just necessitated replying to a job offer email.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ogden, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ogden, UT

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at IRS in February 2008.

I found the job listing on a job board and was asked to come in for a test. It was a similar test to the SAT. Once my score was tabulated, I spoke briefly with a recruiter who placed me in a position. It was an easy process, really, but there are a lot of background checks you must submit to to work for the government.

Interview Questions
    • You have to submit to annual training to affirm that you won't disclose any sensitive taxpayer information. There is a lot that goes into that, and it's often difficult for some people to comply.   View Answer

Tax Examiner Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at IRS in January 2011.

You must apply online using usajobs.gov. If you have a 4-year degree, you should automatically qualify. If you're a military veteran or have prior service in any federal agency, you will be on a preferred list and be contacted before those who do not.
    You'll receive an email telling you to report to the local campus, where you will get fingerprinted and fill out a bazillion forms. Make sure to know where you've worked and lived for the past 10 years for the background check. Make sure you are current and paid in full for both state & federal tax obligations.

There is no negotiation.