ITT Corp

Relevance Date Difficulty

Educational Recruiter Interview

Educational Recruiter
West Covina, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at ITT Corp in January 2011.

Interview Details – I submitted my application online and it took almost three weeks to hear from them. I was invited to a group interview (together with about six other people). The group interview was fairly easy, mainly the director of recruiting spoke and gave an overview over the position. She also addressed salary (which was in the lower $40.000-range) and that this job was sales job (which wasn't completely clear to me reading the position announcement).
About a week after the group interview I was asked to do a six minute Wonderlic test online which was fairly easy. Then I was I was invited to a phone interview with very standard questions. A few days later I had an on-site interview, again with the Director of Recruitment which was a bit of a disaster. I was supposed to be there at 10:30 am but the person who was supposed to interview me didn't show up till 11 am. Then I was supposed to take another Wonderlic test but the Director of Recruitment was unable to set the test up for me on one of the computers. The person tried for about 2 hours, finally called technical support. In the meantime she had me fill out (!) the questionnaire with the questions she was supposed to ask me during the interview, so technically she actually wasn't interviewing me. These questions were again pretty standard and a repeat of the questions from the phone interview. The only question that really irritated me was something along the lines of "How far would you go in distorting the truth if it helps your sale?" The wording was slightly different but it was pretty clear to me that they wanted to know if you would lie, if you "had" to. Whatever you answer to this question is, of course, your choice but considering that you are trying to get people to buy an education of $48.000/year (the merits of which are not entirely clear), I chose to answer honestly and tell them that no, I would not lie.
After almost three and a half hours (and another short interview with the Educational Director) I could finally take the test which was also not too difficult but I was honestly exhausted by then and stunned by the lack of professionalism in conducting this interview. After the skills test there was another 60 question personality test which contained questions like "Would you like to rule the world?", "Have you ever lied?", "Do you like to be the center of attention". They make you answer these questions in two ways: You are supposed to tell them how the ideal candidate for this job would answer the question and how you personally answer the question.
After the interview I did not hear back from them at all, so I called and I was told that my test score was below what they expected which was not completely surprising to me because I knew that I had been tired and weary by the time they finally had given me the test. I successfully completed graduate school and did very well on the GRE (which is considerably more difficult than the Wonderlic), so I know brains is not the problem. I was also told that they had a "hiring freeze" which was a bit surprising because the Director of recruitment conveyed a sense of urgency in hiring people.
Anyway, overall the Director of recruiting was very nice and friendly but this particular interview wasn't handled so well.

Internship Interview

Internship
College Station, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at ITT Corp in February 2010.

Interview Details – Included HR , Resume based and Technical questions on fluent proe and software questions u list on ur resume

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – NOT- much

Engineer Interview

Engineer
Santa Ana, CA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at ITT Corp in February 2010.

Interview Details – Hiring process was easy, the company was very cooperative and the behavior was quite professional

Interview Question – Describe a situation where you have dealt with a crisis and resolved it with teamwork?   Answer Question

Rotatonal Engineering Position Interview

Rotatonal Engineering Position
Fort Wayne, IN

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at ITT Corp in October 2008.

Interview Details – About 20 college recruits were all interviewed at once on site. The initial screening was from job fairs. All students were told via email that they wanted to bring us on site for an interview. A birth certificate was required along with lengthy paperwork to gain entrance to the building.

We were given a presentation all together about the company and the position, and then we had an informal lunch. From there, we were broken into three groups for the rest of the day. The groups rotated between three different activities: a tour, interviews, and a talk with current employees.

The interview section consisted of three or four group interviews. Each group interview seemed to have one senior engineer and two younger engineers. Each table focused on a different characteristic: leadership, technical knowledge, etc. Each session lasted 15 minutes.

Interview Question – Name a situation where you had to resolve a conflict in a former job and describe how you resolved it.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
Thousand Oaks, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at ITT Corp in June 2009.

Interview Details – Interviewed twice..once with the department manager, once with the System Project Manager and the Software Task Lead.

Interview Question – The questions were about my experience in embedded software...real time, and GPS   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I have an offer closer to home.

Very Difficult Interview

Assistant Manager Interview

Assistant Manager
Pune (India)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 3 months - interviewed at ITT Corp in July 2010.

Interview Details – 3 rounds on interview, 1st on telephone, next with the sales director and final on call with HR, excellent in transparency, gave full freedom to express myself and change to showcase my capability

Interview Question – They started discussing about how i should bring about changes in the cureent distribution network   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Yes, i was able to negotiate and we discussed all details with full freedom and transperancy

Adjunct Instructor Interview

Adjunct Instructor

Interviewed at ITT Corp

Interview Details – They asked too many questions for a job that only pays $1,500 per class. You are responsbile for things like student attendance you have no control over.

Finance Interview

Finance

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 months - interviewed at ITT Corp in June 2011.

Interview Details – The ITT conglomerate was split into three (3) companies in the fall of 2011. The spinoff companies are disorganized and unfocused, not knowing what the others are doing with regard to staffing despite their use of common resources in the process.

Standard interview process, multiple 1:1 interviews that lasted about a half day; enjoyed meeting the staff and they were informative. Feedback was positive then no communication for weeks despite my inquiries. After weeks of no information I was informed the position would not be filled.

I was invited to interview for a similar position with another spinoff company. This consisted of 3, 1:1 hour long interviews that also went well. The company made hotel arrangements in New Rochelle, NY for me despite the fact that their corporate HQ is in White Plains, NY about 20-30 minutes away with a hotel on the opposite side of the Interstate from the HQ building (strange). When I arrived I discovered that I had to pay for the room; it was not picked up by the comany. I submitted for reimbursement as instructed on the form provided. I included mileage of 400+ miles at the company specifed rate and submitted the form as directed to their AP group in Ft. Wayne, IN. They never paid (about $500.00).

About 6-8 weeks later, after numerous inquires, I was informed that I was not being considered for further interviews. Overall the worst comany I have dealt with in my career; poor communications, disorganized, and unprofessional. Although I enjoyed the interviews and found them informative I would caution prospective candidates to be prepared for uncommonly poor communications. I would also suggest that financial arrangements related to interviews be thoroughly discussed in advance so you do not show up at the hotel and have to pay for the room. Lastly I can only relate my personal experience with repect to ITT and their non payment of interview expenses despite proper submission on their company form and urge caution to prospective candidates.

And if you are wondering if they ever communicated with me after I submitted the expense reimbursement form (about 4-5 months ago), the answer is no; never heard one word from them. I was so disguted and didn't want to deal with their incompetence that I "ate" the $500.00.

Interview Question – Would you accept the position, if offered, for "X" dollars?   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Technical Department Manager Interview

Technical Department Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at ITT Corp in January 2010.

Interview Details – I was initially contracted by an ITT recruiter - I named my salary requirements. She set up phone interview with the department director. After the phone interview the recruiter called me and said they wanted to extend an offer. Recieved an offer via email within a couple of days which was consistant with my initial stated salary requirements. First day on the job within two weeks of accepting offer.

Interview Questions

• Asked me to descibe my experience   View Answer
  • Specific technical questions related to areas of experience.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I didn't have to negotiate. Not sure how much room there is for negotiation anyway, as salary packages are standard based on the position.

Instructor Interview

Instructor

The process took a day - interviewed at ITT Corp in May 2009.

Interview Details – There were the basic interview questions and a presentation in front of a few people.

Interview Question – What do you know about ITT   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Non-negotiable.