ITT Technical Institute

Updated Aug 24, 2014

2.5

24 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Adjunct Instructor Interview

Interview process was relaxed and comfortable. I was given the jump drive with all curriculum, quizzes, and tests. The interview questions were not difficult as I had more questions than the interviewers.

Non negotiable

Other Interview Reviews for ITT Technical Institute

Adjunct Instructor Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ITT Technical Institute.

Interview was typical. First portion was a screening company asking a set of questions online; second part was in person interview, including a short "demonstrate teach."

The curriculum for each class is pre-set and includes PPs, handouts, and graded activities for each chapter. The grade book is set to record each assignment from the syllabus, so you have no opportunity to pick and choose topics / assignments according to class composition. It is often very hard to present the certain material to the wide range of academic levels and abilities within the student body. Some students can barely read, some feel the assignments are too easy and get frustrated that they are required to complete such primary work. Since you, the instructor, is evaluated on attendance, you must find a way to make sure each student finds value in coming to class each week.

Peer tutoring is not readily accepted by many of the the advanced students because they feel they are not advancing their knowledge. Sometimes peer teaching reinforces learning for the advanced students, but in many cases I have found the academic divide too great and shared their frustration. My solution to the problem has been to create enrichment activities with enough direction for the more advanced students that would not distract me from the teaching and helping those students working on the required assignments by the other students.

I often find myself walking the fine line of using classroom management and human psychology to keep the class feeling united.

Being an adjunct means that you are only there for your class time and that limits your opportunity of meeting other staff members. It can provide a sense of freedom, but it can also contribute to obstacles in collaboration with fellow colleagues and support staff.

Finally, being an adjunct means you never know whether you are teaching a class until a few days before the quarter begins. In addition, the Department Chairs have recently been required to increase their teaching loads and that has reduced the number of adjunct jobs.

Interview Questions
    • There was nothing unexpected, I was asked if I could work mornings, afternoons and/or evenings.   View Answer
    Given the uncertainty of getting a class for the term and low pay of $24-28 an hour (excluding time for preparation / creation of special assignments / grading, copying handouts [copier always breaking down], making weekly phone calls to each absent student, completing 2 mandatory online classes for continuing education each term and attending at least 2 faculty meetings per quarter), I would recommend this job as a hobby or an outlet for community service, not as a money maker.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at ITT Technical Institute in July 2014.

Detailed process including a ten minute presentation on a desired subject of your choosing in front of a panel of upper management, student chairs, associated instructors. I had the opportunity to present a portion of an actual presentation that I gave at Stanford University. I went in with confidence and was well prepared for the engagement.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were expected and answered with confidence   Answer Question
    Minimal

Adjunct Instructor Interview

I applied on line and was asked to complete some questionnaire. I got a phone call after a month for initial interview. I was interviewed by Dean and Associate Dean and asked for teach out a week later. I was told there would be several audiences at teach out but at that day only Associate Dean showed up. It was possible due to some conflicts but I am not sure. Then I was told I would need background check from HR and this check can only be done with a month of hiring.

Interview Questions
    • Basically all questions were related to teaching such as previous teaching experience, how to motivate students, how to deal with student's absence.   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Adjunct Instructor Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at ITT Technical Institute.

They called and scheduled a phone interview.
    After that, they asked me in for an in-person interview and to give a presentation. I provided my own.
    Small campus - one building. I work at a medium university, so that was an adjustment.
    People were very friendly, and this area isn't well known for friendly people.
    They had me do a short presentation to gauge my comfort in front of an audience, check for clear communication capacity, and ability to answer questions.
    I filled out their background check forms, and a few weeks later, I was offered the job, and we negotiated what class and what night(s) I was available and comfortable to teach.
    Since they don't pay adjuncts very well, they have high turnover and therefore, a fairly smooth and routine process - this is good. I've had too many interviews at other places that went poorly due to the interviewer not having a clue how to interview.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too difficult. Fairly standard interview with stock questions.
      Expect all of the standard interview type questions.

Both the phone and in-person felt like more of a conversation.

Answer Question
    No negotiation for adjunct faculty.

Adjunct Instructor Interview

I went for an interview with the Chair of the department. Then a second interview with the Dean. Finally, I completed a mock presentation for about 15-20 minutes. It is not difficult but it is tedious.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were pretty standard and predicted. Most questions are already answered with a good resume.   Answer Question

I had family issues and may request an opportunity later.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warrensville Heights, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warrensville Heights, OH

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at ITT Technical Institute in November 2012.

Incredibly fast-paced. They require three interviews: one phone and tow face-to-face, and one test-teach session. The test-teach is really simple, as you permitted to craft a short lesson in the your discipline.

Interview Questions
    • It's not that the questions are difficult, its more that each interview asks the same questions over and over again, which makes it difficult to determine whether you should say the same thing repeatedly to different people or have a new scenario for each interviewer. This also include the phone interview.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation, they offer a standard rate per class.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norfolk, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norfolk, VA

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at ITT Technical Institute in June 2011.

Was asked to come in and talk about the job. Then had to put together a 15 minute lesson plan and teach. Was made an offer after they verified my education

None

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at ITT Technical Institute in March 2011.

first a phone interview
    then you present on a topic related to the subject you want to teach -- have clear objectives and prep for about 15 minute presentation to 7 other faculty. be dynamic and interactive with them
    next is one on one interview with set questions about specific experience with different situations
    then possible one on one with dean
    then they will send you a link for a background check -- be precise or it will take longer than a week
    after background comes back you will be offered a class or two
    if you want more then call the other schools and tell them that you have been hired by one school and are available to teach at their campus too

Interview Questions
    • they are a questions with '"expalin a time when"..... and 'what did you do about it"
      like .... say a coworker steal

Answer Question
    no negotiation -- salary is $ 1500 for a 12 week class of 4 hours on one day each week.
    classes are either 9 am to 1 pm or 6 pm to 10 pm. if you have a lab it's one additional hour added to the class period

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boise, ID
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boise, ID

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at ITT Technical Institute in February 2011.

I was very apprehensive on the day of my interview due to my lack of experience teaching in formal setting as well as at an advanced level. The person who met with me first was very warm and informative. She excuded both a confidence and passion for her profession. She was very knowledgable and gave a great deal of insight into her management style which allowed me to decide if this was someone with whom I could have a relationship of mutual respect and growth. The instructors attending my teaching portion of the interview were attentive and respectful. I felt as though this was authentic as did all of my encounters during the extensive interview process.

Interview Questions
    • When was the last time you turned a fellow employee into management   View Answer
    no negotiation necessary