ITT Technical Institute Adjunct Instructor Interview Questions

Updated Mar 19, 2015

2.5

Adjunct Instructor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at ITT Technical Institute in March 2015.

Interview

Quick phone interview followed by in-person interview. Had to present a sample presentation and go over a few basic administrative tasks. There were no questions so asess my knowledge of any of the subjects I would be teaching.

I was told I could teach 2 courses that I had very very little knowledge of, as they were desperate for instructors.
I had to present a sample presentation that I had very little notice to prepare. I completely bombed it, and still got an offer
I was in shock at how easy it was to become and instructor there. I can't imagine that students get a good value for their money, as they hire instructors who potentially cannot teach, or know the material.
It did not seem like a well-run operation by an stretch of the imagination. I would call it borderline dishonest.
I got an offer to teach 2 courses and could not say "No" fast enough.

If you want an easy teaching job go for it. It certainly isn't difficult to get an offer.

Interview Questions

• What experience do you have with the courses you would be teaching.   1 Answer

It did not seem like a well-run operation by an stretch of the imagination. I would call it borderline shady/dishonest.
I got an offer to teach 2 courses and could not say "No" fast enough.

Other Interview Reviews for ITT Technical Institute

Adjunct Instructor Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at ITT Technical Institute.

Interview

Easy met with 3-4 faculty members toured facility. Interview process was easy had to teach a 10 minute presentation like a classroom session to faculty. They are a bit disorganized so be flexible. Submitted to background investigation and have not heard back yet. Background has taken over 3 weeks and I have no adverse areas in my background.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at ITT Technical Institute (Memphis, TN).

Interview

The hiring process took a little more than two months and I was already in the system. Everyone I talked to was extremely pleasant and inviting. The questions were normal, nothing to difficult or unexpected. Once I was offered the position It took about a semester to finish all of the paperwork.

Interview Questions

• Trying to condense a class into a 10 minute block was a struggle both times. Timing is everything, but busting the clock isn't a killer.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation because this was essentially my first teaching job so I was just happy to be on a staff.

Adjunct Instructor Interview

Interview

Very good, very honest and thorough. There is a teach back session involved where you technical and teaching skills are assessed. Usually done the same day as the interview. The faculty are very friendly, professional and direct. They made clear potential difficulties with the job to ensure you know what to expect. However hours and non-class duties where not disclosed until work began.

Interview Questions

• What strategies would you use to increase student retention?   Answer Question

Adjunct Instructor Interview

Interview

Interview process was relaxed and comfortable. I was given the jump drive with all curriculum, quizzes, and tests. The interview questions were not difficult as I had more questions than the interviewers.

Negotiation

Non negotiable

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ITT Technical Institute (Pittsburgh, PA) in August 2014.

Interview

First a telephone call, first interview was scheduled, interview with director, interview with dean and a mock lesson in front of a group of five including the dean, director, librarian and professors.

Interview Questions

• technical questions regarding the software I used in the lesson   1 Answer

Adjunct Instructor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ITT Technical Institute.

Interview

Interview was typical. First portion was a screening company asking a set of questions online; second part was in person interview, including a short "demonstrate teach."

The curriculum for each class is pre-set and includes PPs, handouts, and graded activities for each chapter. The grade book is set to record each assignment from the syllabus, so you have no opportunity to pick and choose topics / assignments according to class composition. It is often very hard to present the certain material to the wide range of academic levels and abilities within the student body. Some students can barely read, some feel the assignments are too easy and get frustrated that they are required to complete such primary work. Since you, the instructor, is evaluated on attendance, you must find a way to make sure each student finds value in coming to class each week.

Peer tutoring is not readily accepted by many of the the advanced students because they feel they are not advancing their knowledge. Sometimes peer teaching reinforces learning for the advanced students, but in many cases I have found the academic divide too great and shared their frustration. My solution to the problem has been to create enrichment activities with enough direction for the more advanced students that would not distract me from the teaching and helping those students working on the required assignments by the other students.

I often find myself walking the fine line of using classroom management and human psychology to keep the class feeling united.

Being an adjunct means that you are only there for your class time and that limits your opportunity of meeting other staff members. It can provide a sense of freedom, but it can also contribute to obstacles in collaboration with fellow colleagues and support staff.

Finally, being an adjunct means you never know whether you are teaching a class until a few days before the quarter begins. In addition, the Department Chairs have recently been required to increase their teaching loads and that has reduced the number of adjunct jobs.

Interview Questions

• There was nothing unexpected, I was asked if I could work mornings, afternoons and/or evenings.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Given the uncertainty of getting a class for the term and low pay of $24-28 an hour (excluding time for preparation / creation of special assignments / grading, copying handouts [copier always breaking down], making weekly phone calls to each absent student, completing 2 mandatory online classes for continuing education each term and attending at least 2 faculty meetings per quarter), I would recommend this job as a hobby or an outlet for community service, not as a money maker.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at ITT Technical Institute (Portland, OR) in July 2014.

Interview

Detailed process including a ten minute presentation on a desired subject of your choosing in front of a panel of upper management, student chairs, associated instructors. I had the opportunity to present a portion of an actual presentation that I gave at Stanford University. I went in with confidence and was well prepared for the engagement.

Interview Questions

• All questions were expected and answered with confidence   Answer Question

Negotiation

Minimal

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ITT Technical Institute (Philadelphia, PA) in January 2014.

Interview

The interview process was fairly common. I was scheduled for an interview and was asked a number of questions regarding my work experience / hypothetical work related situations. I was asked to prepare a ten minute presentation. The presentation (teach out) was conducted in a classroom which included the dean and other faculty.

Low salary.

Adjunct Instructor Interview

Interview

I applied on line and was asked to complete some questionnaire. I got a phone call after a month for initial interview. I was interviewed by Dean and Associate Dean and asked for teach out a week later. I was told there would be several audiences at teach out but at that day only Associate Dean showed up. It was possible due to some conflicts but I am not sure. Then I was told I would need background check from HR and this check can only be done with a month of hiring.

Interview Questions

• Basically all questions were related to teaching such as previous teaching experience, how to motivate students, how to deal with student's absence.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation.