ITT Technical Institute

Average Difficulty
22 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Adjunct Instructor

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at ITT Technical Institute.

Interview Details – Interview was typical. First portion was a screening company asking a set of questions online; second part was in person interview, including a short "demonstrate teach."

The curriculum for each class is pre-set and includes PPs, handouts, and graded activities for each chapter. The grade book is set to record each assignment from the syllabus, so you have no opportunity to pick and choose topics / assignments according to class composition. It is often very hard to present the certain material to the wide range of academic levels and abilities within the student body. Some students can barely read, some feel the assignments are too easy and get frustrated that they are required to complete such primary work. Since you, the instructor, is evaluated on attendance, you must find a way to make sure each student finds value in coming to class each week.

Peer tutoring is not readily accepted by many of the the advanced students because they feel they are not advancing their knowledge. Sometimes peer teaching reinforces learning for the advanced students, but in many cases I have found the academic divide too great and shared their frustration. My solution to the problem has been to create enrichment activities with enough direction for the more advanced students that would not distract me from the teaching and helping those students working on the required assignments by the other students.

I often find myself walking the fine line of using classroom management and human psychology to keep the class feeling united.

Being an adjunct means that you are only there for your class time and that limits your opportunity of meeting other staff members. It can provide a sense of freedom, but it can also contribute to obstacles in collaboration with fellow colleagues and support staff.

Finally, being an adjunct means you never know whether you are teaching a class until a few days before the quarter begins. In addition, the Department Chairs have recently been required to increase their teaching loads and that has reduced the number of adjunct jobs.

Interview Question – There was nothing unexpected, I was asked if I could work mornings, afternoons and/or evenings.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Given the uncertainty of getting a class for the term and low pay of $24-28 an hour (excluding time for preparation / creation of special assignments / grading, copying handouts [copier always breaking down], making weekly phone calls to each absent student, completing 2 mandatory online classes for continuing education each term and attending at least 2 faculty meetings per quarter), I would recommend this job as a hobby or an outlet for community service, not as a money maker.

National City, CA

I applied through other source - interviewed at ITT Technical Institute in August 2010.

Interview Details – Potential instructors are required to submit their resume. If they are called in, they perform a 5-10 minutes "lesson" to several of the department heads and the Dean.

Negotiation Details – No negotiations. They have set fees.

Interviewed at ITT Technical Institute

Interview Details – I applied on line and was asked to complete some questionnaire. I got a phone call after a month for initial interview. I was interviewed by Dean and Associate Dean and asked for teach out a week later. I was told there would be several audiences at teach out but at that day only Associate Dean showed up. It was possible due to some conflicts but I am not sure. Then I was told I would need background check from HR and this check can only be done with a month of hiring.

Interview Question – Basically all questions were related to teaching such as previous teaching experience, how to motivate students, how to deal with student's absence.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Chantilly, VA

I applied online - interviewed at ITT Technical Institute in February 2011.

Interview Details – Interview was with program chair. Expereace was layed back and no threatening. After interview had to give a presendation in front of a pannel of 5-6 people

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Adjunct Instructor

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at ITT Technical Institute.

Interview Details – They called and scheduled a phone interview.
After that, they asked me in for an in-person interview and to give a presentation. I provided my own.
Small campus - one building. I work at a medium university, so that was an adjustment.
People were very friendly, and this area isn't well known for friendly people.
They had me do a short presentation to gauge my comfort in front of an audience, check for clear communication capacity, and ability to answer questions.
I filled out their background check forms, and a few weeks later, I was offered the job, and we negotiated what class and what night(s) I was available and comfortable to teach.
Since they don't pay adjuncts very well, they have high turnover and therefore, a fairly smooth and routine process - this is good. I've had too many interviews at other places that went poorly due to the interviewer not having a clue how to interview.

Interview Question – Nothing too difficult. Fairly standard interview with stock questions.
Expect all of the standard interview type questions.

Both the phone and in-person felt like more of a conversation.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation for adjunct faculty.

Adjunct Instructor

Interview Details – I went for an interview with the Chair of the department. Then a second interview with the Dean. Finally, I completed a mock presentation for about 15-20 minutes. It is not difficult but it is tedious.

Interview Question – All questions were pretty standard and predicted. Most questions are already answered with a good resume.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I had family issues and may request an opportunity later.

Adjunct Instructor

I applied online - interviewed at ITT Technical Institute in March 2009.

Interview Details – Slow process between background, interview and hire. Too many people to inteview with that don't even have knowledge about an instructor's position.

Adjunct Instructor

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at ITT Technical Institute in September 2010.

Interview Details – I contacted the department chair after seeing an advertisement on the Internet for an adjunct instructor with prior experience in the related field. I met with the chair and was asked some basic questions related to what my prior education/work experience consisted of.. He then arranged for me to teach on a subject of my choosing, with several staff members (instructors and leadership) present. I was approved by the staff, went through the background check, then was approved to start teaching.

Interview Question – None - Standard questions related to my work/employment history.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Did not negotiate - Was offered a decent amount to teach on a part-time basis.

Warrensville Heights, OH

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at ITT Technical Institute in November 2012.

Interview Details – Incredibly fast-paced. They require three interviews: one phone and tow face-to-face, and one test-teach session. The test-teach is really simple, as you permitted to craft a short lesson in the your discipline.

Interview Question – It's not that the questions are difficult, its more that each interview asks the same questions over and over again, which makes it difficult to determine whether you should say the same thing repeatedly to different people or have a new scenario for each interviewer. This also include the phone interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation, they offer a standard rate per class.

Columbia, SC

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at ITT Technical Institute in August 2008.

Interview Details – Candidates apply online. Candidates are required to complete a Wonderlic general knowledge (IQ) test and personality test. Candidates will be called for a telephone interview with a school chair, and if that goes well will be required to complete a demonstration teaching. If the candidate does well in the demonstration teaching (IE: Illustrates potential as an instructor by catering to different learning styles, moves around the room, commands knowledge of the topic and speaks eloquently), the candidate gets interviewed by the Dean. If all goes well, the candidate is offered to teach.

Interview Question – Who was your favorite supervisor and why?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – The pay for adjunct instructors at most campuses is pretty fixed. You can take it or leave it.

Worked for ITT Technical Institute? Contribute to the Community!