ITT Technical Institute

Getting the Interview

21 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

National City, CA

I applied through other source - interviewed at ITT Technical Institute in August 2010.

Interview Details – Potential instructors are required to submit their resume. If they are called in, they perform a 5-10 minutes "lesson" to several of the department heads and the Dean.

Negotiation Details – No negotiations. They have set fees.

Interviewed at ITT Technical Institute

Interview Details – I applied on line and was asked to complete some questionnaire. I got a phone call after a month for initial interview. I was interviewed by Dean and Associate Dean and asked for teach out a week later. I was told there would be several audiences at teach out but at that day only Associate Dean showed up. It was possible due to some conflicts but I am not sure. Then I was told I would need background check from HR and this check can only be done with a month of hiring.

Interview Question – Basically all questions were related to teaching such as previous teaching experience, how to motivate students, how to deal with student's absence.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Chantilly, VA

I applied online - interviewed at ITT Technical Institute in February 2011.

Interview Details – Interview was with program chair. Expereace was layed back and no threatening. After interview had to give a presendation in front of a pannel of 5-6 people

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Adjunct Instructor

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at ITT Technical Institute.

Interview Details – They called and scheduled a phone interview.
After that, they asked me in for an in-person interview and to give a presentation. I provided my own.
Small campus - one building. I work at a medium university, so that was an adjustment.
People were very friendly, and this area isn't well known for friendly people.
They had me do a short presentation to gauge my comfort in front of an audience, check for clear communication capacity, and ability to answer questions.
I filled out their background check forms, and a few weeks later, I was offered the job, and we negotiated what class and what night(s) I was available and comfortable to teach.
Since they don't pay adjuncts very well, they have high turnover and therefore, a fairly smooth and routine process - this is good. I've had too many interviews at other places that went poorly due to the interviewer not having a clue how to interview.

Interview Question – Nothing too difficult. Fairly standard interview with stock questions.
Expect all of the standard interview type questions.

Both the phone and in-person felt like more of a conversation.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation for adjunct faculty.

Adjunct Instructor

Interview Details – I went for an interview with the Chair of the department. Then a second interview with the Dean. Finally, I completed a mock presentation for about 15-20 minutes. It is not difficult but it is tedious.

Interview Question – All questions were pretty standard and predicted. Most questions are already answered with a good resume.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I had family issues and may request an opportunity later.

Adjunct Instructor

I applied online - interviewed at ITT Technical Institute in March 2009.

Interview Details – Slow process between background, interview and hire. Too many people to inteview with that don't even have knowledge about an instructor's position.

Adjunct Instructor

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at ITT Technical Institute in September 2010.

Interview Details – I contacted the department chair after seeing an advertisement on the Internet for an adjunct instructor with prior experience in the related field. I met with the chair and was asked some basic questions related to what my prior education/work experience consisted of.. He then arranged for me to teach on a subject of my choosing, with several staff members (instructors and leadership) present. I was approved by the staff, went through the background check, then was approved to start teaching.

Interview Question – None - Standard questions related to my work/employment history.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Did not negotiate - Was offered a decent amount to teach on a part-time basis.

Warrensville Heights, OH

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at ITT Technical Institute in November 2012.

Interview Details – Incredibly fast-paced. They require three interviews: one phone and tow face-to-face, and one test-teach session. The test-teach is really simple, as you permitted to craft a short lesson in the your discipline.

Interview Question – It's not that the questions are difficult, its more that each interview asks the same questions over and over again, which makes it difficult to determine whether you should say the same thing repeatedly to different people or have a new scenario for each interviewer. This also include the phone interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation, they offer a standard rate per class.

Columbia, SC

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at ITT Technical Institute in August 2008.

Interview Details – Candidates apply online. Candidates are required to complete a Wonderlic general knowledge (IQ) test and personality test. Candidates will be called for a telephone interview with a school chair, and if that goes well will be required to complete a demonstration teaching. If the candidate does well in the demonstration teaching (IE: Illustrates potential as an instructor by catering to different learning styles, moves around the room, commands knowledge of the topic and speaks eloquently), the candidate gets interviewed by the Dean. If all goes well, the candidate is offered to teach.

Interview Question – Who was your favorite supervisor and why?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – The pay for adjunct instructors at most campuses is pretty fixed. You can take it or leave it.

Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at ITT Technical Institute in May 2010.

Interview Details – They called me in for an interview and it was VERY informal, just a brief "chat" with the Associate Dean. He told me that they would call me back for a teaching demo (which was unexpected) in the next few days. The teaching demo lasted about 15 minutes, after which I was asked questions by the Dean and the Program Chairs. After that, on the same day, I had a second one-on-one interview with the Dean.

About two weeks later they started the paperwork process. After I filled out the paperwork they commenced a background check. I have a flawless, crime-free background, but apparently the company they use is extremely picky and if any of the info I put did not match perfectly with what a former company reported to them (for instance, I rounded my previous salary to the nearest dollar) they instantly gave a blanket " do not approve" and so I had to call back and forth between the verification company and ITT several times in order to complete what should have been a simple process.

Interview Question – I was surprised that they asked me to do a teaching demo by the end of the same week as the first interview. They often offer more time for preparation. They did not offer any guidelines and simply said, "do whatever you think is best" without letting me know anything about their own curriculum or class structures for the course I would be teaching (even when I asked)   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There really was none. They handed me an offer letter, said "these are our set rates, and here's where you fall on the scale" then they told me I could sign or not sign. I was originally promised three classes, but when I got the offer letter it was for only two (three weeks before the new session started). Their response was, "Oops, sorry we forgot to mention that we couldn't give you what we'd said before. Hope that's ok."

Interviews for Top Jobs at ITT Technical Institute

Worked for ITT Technical Institute? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ITT Technical Institute Adjunct Instructor interview questions and advice. All 21 interview reviews posted anonymously by ITT Technical Institute employees and interview candidates.