IXL Learning

Relevance Date Difficulty

Associate Technical Support Analyst Interview

Associate Technical Support Analyst
San Mateo, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at IXL Learning in November 2012.

Interview Details – Overall, a very positive experience. Roughly two weeks after submitting a resume in response to a listing on Craigslist, I was contacted by an in-house recruiter who was my point of contact throughout the interview process. She set me up with a phone interview with the most senior member of the Tech Support team that lasted approximately 15 minutes. Pretty standard stuff for a phone interview -- the job's duties, my background, and the fit between the two.

I was sent a series of written exercises to gauge my problem solving abilities and writing skills about a week after the phone interview. These exercises helped me get acquainted with their products, and were good examples of questions that come up in the job. I was given plenty of time (a week) to complete the work and was able to submit my responses a few days after receiving the questions.

About two weeks after submitting the exercise responses, I went in for an interview where I spoke with three people. All the interviews were one-on-one. Nothing too out of the ordinary as far as questions went. After I left, I remember thinking about some of the interview reviews posted here, where people said things like their interviews seemed rote or scripted, because my experience was honestly the exact opposite. In my opinion, the interview seemed to flow pretty naturally and I left with all of my questions answered. This interview took roughly two hours.

A week after the first interview was a second, where I spoke with four people, including two from the first interview, all one-on-one again. I was given a brain teaser this time around, by the Tech Support team's manager. Communicating your problem solving process is important here, I think. We also talked more about things like the direction the company is headed during this interview. Finally, I negotiated my salary with the Vice President of the company at the end of the interview. This round of interviews was about two and a half hours.

Again, the process was very positive overall. I got the sense that everyone at IXL is glad to be there and excited about the future of the company. The interviews were professionally conducted, and the interviewers candid and up-beat. I was presented with an offer a few days after my second interview, which I accepted.

Interview Question – Maybe it was because I asked a lot of questions during my interviews, but I can't recall anything which was particularly difficult or unexpected... It's also been a little while.   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Associate Technical Support Analyst Interview

Associate Technical Support Analyst
San Mateo, CA

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at IXL Learning in November 2012.

Interview Details – The interview process at IXL Learning for the Associate Technical Support Analyst position was completely positive.

I e-mailed my application on October 27th. I received a response shortly thereafter from a person I took to be a very professional coordinator. We had my first phone interview scheduled within the first week of November. The questions were standard interview questions, but the Technical Support Director who interviewed me was exceptionally up-beat and positive. She also responded accurately and concisely to any questions I had.

Within a few days, I heard back from the application process coordinator who let me know they would like me to complete a written application exercise. The exercise consisted of responding to hypothetical, though frequently asked, customer e-mailed questions for the Technical Support department. They gave me from Friday, November 9th until Tuesday, November 13th to complete the exercise. I wanted to make sure I answered these questions quickly but accurately and thoroughly, so I spent a whole Saturday responding and formatting the document. I cleaned it up, edited it, and e-mailed it on Sunday.

After a few back and forth e-mails with the application process coordinator, she let me know the company wanted me to come in for an on-site interview. They were helpfully concerned about the logistics of how I would pull off such a feat, considering I lived near Boston, Massachusetts and IXL Learning is located in San Mateo, California. They even offered to set up an interview through one of the online video conferencing services. I let them know I have friends on the West coast and that I would absolutely be available to interview there.

When I arrived for the interview, the application process coordinator met me in the lobby of the building where the company's suite is located. She escorted me to the conference room where the interview would take place. The on-site interview process took about three hours. I interviewed first with three Technical Support Specialists, then with the Technical Support Director. All of these people were positive and helpful, knowledgeable about the company, and interested in my academic and professional experiences.

The next series of conversations we had were over the phone and though GoToMeeting. I had the opportunity to ask and answer additional questions, as well as to get to know the Tech Support team a little better. I finally spoke with a Vice President about myself, about the company and about the directions in which the company is growing. During these conversations with the Technical Support Director and the Vice President, we also discussed salary requirements and the great benefits IXL Learning offers. I heard back from the Technical Support Director within a few days after that and she offered me the job!

The whole process took from October 27th until December 12th. I found the interview, negotiation and hiring process exceptionally efficient and thorough. Before even beginning work, I feel like I have a solid knowledge of the company and I feel confident that the Technical Support team is a group of dedicated people I can really get along with.

Interview Question – The most unexpected question the Technical Support Director asked me was: What challenges do you see coming up in this position? I was a little thrown off by it only because I didn't feel like I really had enough information about the specifics of the job tasks I would be performing were I to be hired. After about ten minutes of saying "um" on my part, I asked the Director a few questions to sort of narrow the possibilities. She was very positive and provided useful responses, and I finally said that I might be challenged to maintain the vibrant energy I felt I could bring to the company, but also that I felt was already at IXL.   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response
Interviews for Top Jobs at IXL Learning

Worked for IXL Learning? Contribute to the Community!

IXL Learning Videos

IXL Learning – Why Work for Us?

​​​​​About IXL Learning​​​​​ IXL Learning was founded in 1998 to advance education through Web-based technologies. We create transformative products with an impact that makes them instant classroom essentials. ​​​​​Our… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at IXL Learning Associate Technical Support Analyst interview questions and advice. All interview reviews posted anonymously by IXL Learning employees and interview candidates.