IXL Learning

Relevance Date Difficulty

Product Analyst - Science Interview

Product Analyst - Science
Foster City, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at IXL Learning in June 2014.

Interview Details – I applied to the Product Analyst position online without knowing anyone at the company and got notification that I'd be having a phone interview within about a week of my application.

The phone interview had all the standard questions (Why IXL?, etc) in addition to a brain teaser. I was also asked to describe my PhD research as I would to a kid in 4th Grade. I was notified at the end of the phone call that I'd be advancing to the next round, the skills test.

They emailed me the skills test with a few questions for me to answer at home over the space of a week. The questions were, apparently, a fairly good representation of the type of work you'd be doing for the company in this position. I did my best but was a little unsure about how I'd done, but it must have been good enough because within a few days I was notified that I would be advancing to the on-site interview round.

The onsite interview lasted about 2 hours. I met with 3 different people; a math product analyst, a science product analyst and a director. You are just left in one room the whole time while the interviewers come to you, but they give you some puzzles and reading material about the company to keep you entertained while you're waiting. The two product analysts were very heavy on skills questions, very similar to the take-home skills test but you are expected to answer on the spot. You're given an example of a problem that might appear on the website then asked how you would vary difficulty on this problem, what other types of questions you might ask and how you'd make it more engaging. The director asked more typical interview questions about past conflicts/resolutions at work, why I want to work at that company, what experience makes me the ideal candidate, etc.

In the end, I was left feeling unsure how I'd done but didn't feel like I'd said anything too stupid. I didn't get an offer so I don't have any useful advice about what they may be looking for.

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Recruiting Coordinator

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at IXL Learning in May 2014.

Interview Details – Found this job posting on LinkedIn and submitted my application through the the website. I was contacted the next day by a recruiter regarding a phone interview for next steps. The interviewer gave me an overview of the company, its value, and the company culture. She also gave me an overview of the recruiting coordinator role and asked me a couple of questions regarding my experience, why IXL and why this position would be a good fit for me. After the phone call, I was given a job test to complete within a week and that they would get back to me soon. After submitting the job test, the recruiting team got back to me regarding a second phone interview. The second phone interview was similar to the first, where the interviewer asked me questions regarding my recent work experience and work style.

After a couple of days, I was invited to an on-site interview. I came onsite and met with the same recruiter that I spoke on the phone with for my first phone interview. She talked about what makes IXL unique and gave me a quick tour of the office. The company had recently expanded, so they are now currently occupying both the 4th floor and the 6th floor. I met with the recruiting team, the recruiting manager, and the executive vice president. During my interview, I got to learn more about the company and its employees and how everyone was extremely passionate in what they were doing here at IXL. After the interview, they told me they would let me know within a week if I'd gotten the job. I received the offer letter 3 days later.

The whole interview process and hiring process was also very efficient and I was able to start soon after completing the interview process.

Interview Question – Typical interview questions. Interview focused on relevant experience and work style. Be prepared to provide examples to demonstrate wok style.   Answer Question

Product Analyst Interview

Product Analyst

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at IXL Learning.

Interview Details – The interview process was very straightforward and fair. The interviews were conducted by phone and I was given opportunities to ask questions. It seemed like there was a fairly set script for the interview process.

Interview Question – The second interview involved questions relating to a work sample. The interviewer was very good and very prepared, it was obvious that they looked extremely closely at the materials I submitted. The questions were very direct and probing. It was a challenging interview that caught me off-guard with the depth of their critique. I expected a bit more "getting to know you," from a second interview since they had gone through my qualifications very closely in the first interview. I thought this would give me more insight into who and how I would be working. Instead it was a more academic assessment of my skills. It also felt as if this were a scripted interaction and this was a bit awkward as the conversation did not flow as well and as easily as it could have if there were not specific items that were being worked through.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Software Engineer Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at IXL Learning.

Interview Details – After giving a recruiter my resume at a career fair at my university, they sent me an e-mail about two weeks later with a short coding skills test and gave me three days to complete it. After I sent it back, they got back to me within two days to set up a phone interview. I spoke to one of their engineers, who ran me through 3-4 verbal coding challenges (i.e. "How would you program this", with my answers coming as a hybrid of overall strategy and pseudocode). After I answered his questions, he asked briefly about the projects I had listed on my resume, then he asked if I had any questions for him about IXL. I answered all the coding questions and thought I did relatively well, but I got a final e-mail three days later informing me I was not going to receive an offer.

Interview Question – How would you select a random number between 1 and 100? I thought it was straightforward but he was unsatisfied with my answer.   Answer Question

Palo Alto, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at IXL Learning in April 2014.

Interview Details – Met the first hire for the science product team at a campus career fair -- he was super friendly and excited about the product, and seemed enthusiastic about my background in science (will be graduating soon with 2 Masters degrees in science disciplines). I gave him my resume there, and a hiring manager from IXL contacted me within a few days to sign up for an interview slot during their on-campus recruiting the next week. The interview was only 30 min long, and was with a software engineer who had been at IXL for about 5 years. He only asked a few questions: a bit about my background and why I was interested in the position, what I thought about the IXL website, and to explain a scientific concept to a 3rd grader. I felt pretty good about the interview overall, and a few days later got an email with the written assignment, which I had 1 week to complete. Now waiting to hear back about that.

Interview Question – I had heard there would be a brain teaser, but I ended up answering 3! (not sure if we just had a lot of extra time, or what). I feel like I shouldn't reveal what the brainteasers were, though...suffice it to say they were pretty fun to figure out!   Answer Question

Renewal Specialist Interview

Renewal Specialist
San Mateo, CA

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at IXL Learning.

Interview Details – Hiring process took some time with approximately 2 weeks in between each step. First was a phone interview with a member of the department. If you get to the next level, they will schedule an in-person interview at their San Mateo HQ with a panel/group of people in that department. Each interviewer is allotted 30-45 mins each to interview you. One was conversational and the other two were semi-formal but not rigid like other interviews.

Applied for this position but ended being considered for another position which was good and bad. I was told I may be considered for another position but did not get into specifics until I received the actual offer. I was given two days to respond to their offer letter, which was rather fast in my opinion.

Interview Question – Standard interview questions.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Salary offer was WAY too low for standard cost of living in the Bay area

Product Analyst (Science)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at IXL Learning.

Interview Details – Applied online. Was contacted by recruiting team a day later asking for cover letter. Sent that over and then had a phone interview with a product analyst. Questions were about resume, suggestions for improving website and the jellybean brainteaser. Next was the written assignment round that asks you to write explanations for science problems. There were also some questions about problem generators. I was given a week to complete that assignment. I thought I did very well on it, but heard back from the recruiting team a couple of days after submission saying they decided to not proceed.

Interview Question – Written assignment - What are the rules for a problem generator   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Software Engineer Intern

I applied online and interviewed at IXL Learning.

Interview Details – Phase 1 - Coding questions. There were two fairly basic Java coding questions on data structures and simple algorithms. One required implementing a hash table and the other required using a set to factor out duplicate strings.
Phase 2 - Phone interview. The phone interview had further technical questions about Java and data structures.

Interview Question – Display all nodes of a tree except the leftmost node.   Answer Question

Product Designer Interview

Product Designer

I applied through college or university and interviewed at IXL Learning.

Interview Details – I found the job off of our campus career center website. In a couple of days they had set up an interview on campus and I went to the career center for the interview. They asked several behavioral questions and then a brain teaser question at the end. The overall experience wasn't too bad.

Interview Question – They asked me a brain teaser about finding a prize in three different boxes. There were clues to figure out where the prize was.   View Answer

Product Analyst (Science)

I applied online - interviewed at IXL Learning in March 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and got an email request for a phone screen. The interviewer was also a product analyst for Math. Nothing out of the ordinary. In general, I got the feeling that he didn't really care about the interview and was just going through the motions. I asked about the next step in the process, He told me I will hear from them in a week. The whole interview was less than 30 mins. I got an email response in a couple of days.

Interview Question – He asked what I thought about their site and had me give a sample teaching a science subject to a 4th grader. After that, he asked if I had any questions.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at IXL Learning

Worked for IXL Learning? Contribute to the Community!

IXL Learning Videos

IXL Learning – Why Work for Us?

​​​​​About IXL Learning​​​​​ IXL Learning was founded in 1998 to advance education through Web-based technologies. We create transformative products with an impact that makes them instant classroom essentials. ​​​​​Our… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at IXL Learning interview questions and advice. All 99 interview reviews posted anonymously by IXL Learning employees and interview candidates.