IXL Learning Interview Questions

Updated Sep 15, 2014
Updated Sep 15, 2014

2.8

Product Analyst (Mathematics) Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at IXL Learning in September 2014.

Overall, my interview experience was quite pleasant. They contacted me within forty-eight hours of posting my resume (with cover letter) and I had a phone interview that very week. The interviewer was prompt, very polite and made the phone interview enjoyable. We discussed aspects of the position and the work environment which resonated with me.

Interview Questions
    • Answering what I would change or add to IXL Learning's math curriculum.   Answer Question

Product Analyst (Science) Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 months - interviewed at IXL Learning in December 2013.

I was introduced to IXL at my campus job fair. I went through three rounds of phone interviews spread over two months, each with a different member of the product management team. The interviews included general questions about my goals and achievements, science and math related questions, questions about pedagogy and the teaching process, and brain teasers (really fun!).

In the final stage, I was flown in for an on-site interview, which also consisted three rounds. I was asked to teach a topic of my choice to an imaginary 5th grade student. I was also asked to brainstorm ways to explain a concept to students at different grade levels. And of course, there were more brain teasers! I found my interviewers very friendly and warm, and at the same time, keenly attentive to my answers, reactions, and questions. I thoroughly enjoyed the interview process.

start date

Software Engineer Interview

Was contacted by one of the recruiter. She scheduled me next week with the interview. They were very polite and nice. When I was stuck, they gave me some hint as well. The whole process took about two weeks. Interview questions were not hard and nothing unexpected but I didn't do well because I was not prepared.

Software Engineer Interview

Had 3 phone interviews and then invited to onsite interview. The process went pretty well. Very nice HR and efficient communication.

Typical Software engineer interview question. Get yourselves familiar with DS and Algo before interview. And some brain teasers!!

Product Analyst Interview

Not an incredibly quick process. Not the most engaging of interviews. The focus on education was technical and not particularly focused on transforming digital education. It would have been nice to hear about interviewers' backgrounds other than degrees earned.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 months - interviewed at IXL Learning.

Had an initial interview, then was asked to complete a coding challenge, which I didn't have time to complete. The recruiter got back in touch with me to reopen the interview process, which was great since I didn't think I'd get a chance to continue after not completing the challenge. I did two phone interviews, then got another coding challenge, after which I had one more technical phone interview. Overall, everyone I talked to seemed pretty into the company's mission, but I got the feeling that it wasn't very innovative or exciting work (never met them in person though).

Interview Questions
    • Code a function that takes in an array of numbers and returns true or false depending on whether there are any duplicates or not.   Answer Question

Marketing Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at IXL Learning in July 2014.

Applied to this position through Jobvite. Conducted a phone interview were I was asked fairly standard questions, such as describe your experience, tell me more about yourself. Also had the chance to ask several questions.

After the phone interview, I received 5 questions to fill out over the next 4-5 days, which were essentially samples of how would you write copy for IXL Learning.

Product Analyst - Math Interview

I applied online - interviewed at IXL Learning in April 2014.

I applied online and got a phone interview. I did not move past that round. The interviewer asked me some straightforward questions followed by a brain teaser. I did not think that brain teaser was at all relevant for the position or how one would perform as a Product Analyst. The gentleman I interviewed with also told me that they didn't have any folks with a math education background who worked for them; it is mostly people with math backgrounds. I was surprised and felt that they needed more people with an education background.

Interview Questions
    • The brain teaser, which I was not prepared for or expecting.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at IXL Learning.

Was referred by an employee, the employee actually referred me a year ago, but recruiter somehow decided to get back to me a year later. Scheduled a phone call with one of the lead engineers. Interviewer just followed protocol; just asked the basic screening questions plus 2 basic programming questions. When he asked me when I had questions, which was near the end of the interview, he hadn't told me much about the position or the company itself. I don't understand why they would even interview me if they did not have any interest in the first place. Complete waste of my time.

Interview Questions
    • Typical programming questions (remove duplicates in array, printing an array backwards)   Answer Question

Product Analyst - Science Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Foster City, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Foster City, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at IXL Learning in June 2014.

I applied to the Product Analyst position online without knowing anyone at the company and got notification that I'd be having a phone interview within about a week of my application.

The phone interview had all the standard questions (Why IXL?, etc) in addition to a brain teaser. I was also asked to describe my PhD research as I would to a kid in 4th Grade. I was notified at the end of the phone call that I'd be advancing to the next round, the skills test.

They emailed me the skills test with a few questions for me to answer at home over the space of a week. The questions were, apparently, a fairly good representation of the type of work you'd be doing for the company in this position. I did my best but was a little unsure about how I'd done, but it must have been good enough because within a few days I was notified that I would be advancing to the on-site interview round.

The onsite interview lasted about 2 hours. I met with 3 different people; a math product analyst, a science product analyst and a director. You are just left in one room the whole time while the interviewers come to you, but they give you some puzzles and reading material about the company to keep you entertained while you're waiting. The two product analysts were very heavy on skills questions, very similar to the take-home skills test but you are expected to answer on the spot. You're given an example of a problem that might appear on the website then asked how you would vary difficulty on this problem, what other types of questions you might ask and how you'd make it more engaging. The director asked more typical interview questions about past conflicts/resolutions at work, why I want to work at that company, what experience makes me the ideal candidate, etc.

In the end, I was left feeling unsure how I'd done but didn't feel like I'd said anything too stupid. I didn't get an offer so I don't have any useful advice about what they may be looking for.

Worked for IXL Learning? Contribute to the Community!