IXL Learning Interview Questions

Updated Jun 24, 2015

2.9

Product Designer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at IXL Learning.

Interview

I applied online through my university and received an email requesting a phone screen about a week later. They were looking for a history curriculum developer, and I had a lot of experience in education and history, so no problems there. The phone screen was like what many others described. They used a brainteaser, slightly modified because I think they know people are hearing about the jelly bean one (this one was about treasure in 3 treasure chests). The brain teaser was a bit tacky and weird-it was hard to visualize/understand the construct of the question. Once I got it, I got it, but it was not well explained and the interviewer was not very cognizant of this.

Around the end, when the candidate asks questions, I asked about what kind of challenges the history curriculum was facing. The interviewer said that scoring and random generation were issues with this particular content. More on this below.

After the interview, I was emailed a work assignment, like others have noted. It was very in-depth and quite lengthy. I was already concerned given what I had read about other reviews on Glassdoor about doing a lot of work on an assignment and then getting no response/rejection back. An additional concern was that the questions specifically dealt with the random generation and scoring issues discussed in the interview. Basically, the assignment appeared to be free work for them to resolve an issue they were having right now.

They gave me a week to complete this. I decided to decline proceeding further in the process. The HR coordinator emailed me back with a brief thank you message.

Product Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at IXL Learning.

Interview

30 minute phone interview, which asked pretty standard questions about my background and tested product acumen, as well as a brain teaser. They then asked me to complete a homework assignment which I spent a fair amount of time on. I didn't hear back for a few weeks, so I reached out to the recruiter who said they were still working on it. A few weeks later I received an auto-generated email saying I wasn't a good fit. Absolutely no feed back on my home work and never heard directly from the recruiter. Very unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• You have three jars of jelly beans, one with only lemon flavored, one with only banana flavored, and one with a mix. You cannot tell the difference between the two flavors by looking at them, only by tasting them. Each of the jars is labeled “Banana”, “Lemon”, or “Mixed” accordingly. Someone comes along and mixes up the labels such that all are now incorrect. What is the smallest number of jelly beans you can taste to correctly replace the labels?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at IXL Learning.

Interview

Applied online and they got back to me within a day with a coding challenge. Sent back the coding challenge and they replied to me a couple days later to schedule a technical phone interview.

The phone interview went okay. The questions weren't too hard but I think I over thought them and did worse that I could have. About a week later they told me they weren't moving forward. I wasn't too surprised because I didn't think I did all that well on the phone interview and could have prepared better.

Interview Questions

• Agreed not to say but it's mostly Algorithms, Data Structures and some Logic problems.   Answer Question

Family Membership Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at IXL Learning (San Mateo, CA).

Interview

Applied, got in contact with the recruiter, then got a test. After a test is the phone interview with a very awkward man, who will interview you later in person (and it doesn't get less awkward). I had an in person interview with everyone who was on the team at the time, so you'll get a sense of who you will be working with. Very friendly people, but the interview seemed rushed and very superficial; I got a lot of "that's a great answer" to a lot of my responses. Overall, I had a good experience, but I'm giving a negative review for how the team presented themselves, as this may be an indication of their customer service values.

Interview Questions

• Very standard questions on customer service that you can Google.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online – interviewed at IXL Learning.

Interview

Very brief initial phone interview, no major questions asked of you, more of just a fuller job description and an opportunity to ask the recruiter questions. It didn't really give me a chance to impress them with anything, and then they sent an assessment.

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at IXL Learning (San Mateo, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

The interviews themselves were okay. Pretty standard, I would say. I had two phone interviews and then was invited to an on-site interview. The on-site visit consisted of 5 one-on-one interviews, which was exhausting, but overall, I felt they went well. I was told I would hear back within 1 week. Then, I waited and waited and waited. I contacted the recruiter every week, each time she said that there were no new updates to share. Then, 4 weeks after my on-site interview, I was finally given a brief email saying that I did not get the job (with a few typos in the mix, as well..). They need to show that they value their candidates' time. Telling me that I will hear within a week and then making me wait a month is really unprofessional. I would rather have gotten a firm no much earlier in the process than wait a month, being unsure of whether or not I will receive an offer. Please speed the process along for future candidates.

Interview Questions

• They asked a brain teaser.... Yes. An education company asked a brain teaser. I decided to ignore this irony for the purposes of the interview.   Answer Question

Regional Sales Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at IXL Learning in April 2015.

Interview

Had a good phone interview with the inside recruiter. They ask a lot of questions probing, including the salary and who else are you interviewing with as well as the why are you interested in IXL Learning? Also had a face to face meeting with management there too. Good initial followup, they gave plenty of information on the company and benefits. They clearly explained the position and what the reason was for the opening. They mentioned they want employees that are passionate about the company and products. I can respect that, it is an excellent value to have for employees.

After the interview in person which went well, it became obvious why they were not interested. It is about age, given I was older than everyone I interviewed with despite being highy qualified. The only response was a cold no thanks email after the inteviews. Had all the qualifications they wanted.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at IXL Learning in April 2015.

Interview

The hiring manager seemed over excited immediately and I was offered a phone interview within a few days of applying online. I had a 30 minute phone interview with someone in the position I was applying for and we had a great rapport. I was then sent a homework assignment that they told me would be similar to what I would be doing in the position. I completed it within the timeframe they wanted, even though it was during finals. A few weeks later I received notification that I was no longer being considered.

Curriculum Designer Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at IXL Learning.

Interview

The interview process was over a month long. I completed the homework assignment pretty quickly, but did not hear back for another week. The hiring manager acted rushed, robotic and asked no questions about my background and focused only on brain teaser questions. I have to admit that It was a disappointing experience overall.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at IXL Learning.

Interview

Applied over the internet and had a phone interview a few weeks later.

Having used the company's products over many years, I was excited to learn more about them and this position in particular. After the interview was over, however, I was left with an extremely negative impression of their hiring processes and of the company itself. The interviewer was disorganized and unprepared, and halfway through the interview she realized that she hadn't bothered to clarify which position she was interviewing me for--and then she mentioned another position that I hadn't applied for. To make things worse, the job description she gave me halfway through the interview was only tangentially related to the posted position I'd applied for. The majority of her questions were unrelated either to my past experience or to the job position.

The interview would have been a complete waste of my time except, I suppose, for the practice answering the standard "tell me about yourself" and "why do you want to work here" questions. Oh! And the brain teasers. When I said that I'd read about the jelly bean one online, the interviewer spent a good five minutes trying to figure out another one to ask me. I could hear frantic keyboarding and paper shuffling in the background, so I was prepared for something tricky, but then it was just the rope bridge teaser that I'd also seen online.

All in all, an extremely unproductive process that seems unlikely to result in well-matched hires for the company. Whatever their decision regarding my application may be, I have no desire to move forward with this company.