IXL Learning

Updated Feb 20, 2015
Updated Feb 20, 2015

2.9

Product Designer Interview

I dropped my resume at the university career fair and was contacted for a half-hour interview roughly half a month later. The interview was fairly standard-- they were mostly interested in going over specific items on my resume. A week after the interview, I was given a list of questions; the purpose of them was presumably testing my "chops" as a product designer.

Interview Questions
    • Like everyone here is talking about, there is a brain teaser   Answer Question

Product Analyst (Mathematics) Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at IXL Learning in November 2014.

Thirty-minute on campus interview where I was asked to explain my research, work through a brain teaser, and explain math concepts for different age groups.

Heard back in a week and had to do a "homework" assignment, which was basically designing a math problem for the website.

Interview Questions
    • Explain my research, describe fractions to a 3rd grader, why I wanted to work at IXL.   Answer Question

Product Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at IXL Learning in October 2014.

Do NOT waste your time on IXL Learning. They have a pathetic habit of making people wait and they will not even be humble about it. Even though I had an offer, I decided this company was not what you expect in your career and its best to move on. Read on and see why. If you stick with me till the last line, I have a strong personal message for anyone who is looking for a job in any field at all.

IXL Learning was at my college campus recruiting event and back then I thought the negative experiences on Glassdoor were for the people that actually went through them and it wouldn't apply to me. Anyway 1 week after the recruiting event, I was reached out by the hiring team for an interview because they liked me for the product designer profile. Set up a phone interview 1 week later and answered the usual brainteaser and behavioral questions - pretty much smooth interview overall.

Now the madness begins at this point. Right after my phone interview, they asked me to complete an assignment with questions (listed in the interview questions section) but mainly to test my ability to design a feature for their system and include graphics or any form of explanation to justify those feature suggestions. I had 1 week to get back to them and then the wait began. I set out and finished it duly in 3 days after a lot of brainstorming and real interest in the role - emailed it to them, then was waiting patiently.

And Oh did they make me wait. And wait. And wait. For 8 weeks. I would email and even call the recruiter every week but I got the standard response that they were "still processing and reviewing my application". Lol really you need 8 WEEKS to review it? Clearly, you need a better cover up because you are interviewing or waiting on others to get back to you so you know whether you can toss me or still keep me involved. They finally reverted with an on-site interview proposal. Went there for a whole day, series of interviews. Interviews themselves were not bad and most of the people were friendly. Then came another long wait of 5 weeks which this time did not even affect me. They finally reverted with an offer with a lower salary number than seen on glassdoor and a legendary "we do not negotiate offers" to open up the salary discussion - clear attempts to low-ball me into accepting it.

Breaking down the process makes it quite clear I was second choice all the while but since they probably didn't hear from their first choice, I moved up the chain. It was so frustrating to be on the receiving end - 13+ weeks is not a joke when you are in your last semester and are thoroughly under pressure. And then they have the mindset to low-ball you after all this as if the offer is being made out of charity than a need at their organization.

The least IXL can do is be humble, courteous and less robotic about it? I mean are you kidding me? Is this really your strategy for attracting top talent? What does this go to say about the company and your life once you actually start working? Sure they made all the high profile suggestions that they are the "quintessential silicon valley start up with a great environment" and a plethora of more reasons to join them but the thing about fake people and fake talk is it can be easily discovered based on actions.

I chose another company where the experience was much better, the people were much more courteous and responsive, and the team actually cares for other members and not the fake, for-show only kind of care. IXL may have started off well and I'm sure there are still good people there but I unfortunately did not see any of them or their actions during my experience.

I recommend you do not waste on your on IXL or this role - much better companies out there for you to chase down who will actually respect you and not treat you as a beggar and blast you out.

Lastly, if anyone here is still reading this, thank you for sticking with my review.
    If you are still looking for a job, I wish you all the luck and good wishes. I went through a lot to get my dream job - more than 40 companies and over 200 applications before I finally landed my dream. I'm sure you will but all it takes is some perseverance and strong will. I realize in hindsight that the process also made me tougher mentally and brought on a never-say-die mindset. Please be strong and believe in yourself - enjoy the pain of waiting and interviewing with random companies and still waiting more - it WILL be worth it the day you realize how much stronger it made you and also when you actually land your dream job. If I could do it all over again, I would.

Interview Questions
    • This standard brain teaster one was asked to me during my phone interview: You have three jars of beans, one of type A, one of type B, and one mixed. The labels are all inaccurate. How many times would you require to taste and from which jars in order to successfully switch to the right label.

Assignment questions were what features or improvements would you suggest to IXL, design a feature that IXL should implement in its system with reasons - 1 week to complete this assignment - should take between 3 hours to 2 days depending on how familiar you are with their website and system overall.

Many spot/quickfire questions during the on-site interview and series of interviews with panels and individual folks - all based on either your background or the product designer role but nothing to worry about really.

Answer Question

Product Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at IXL Learning.

Contacted me less than a week after I submitted a resume and cover letter online (one annoying thing is it inputs your resume into a textbox rather than saving the PDF, which kills any nice formatting you might have). Scheduled 15-30 minute phone interview with someone doing the same job I was applying for, rather than a future boss.

Interview Questions
    • How would you improve our website/product? (Difficult because I was applying to their science team and they don't have any science questions released online yet, just math and language arts)   Answer Question

Product Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Stanford, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Stanford, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at IXL Learning in October 2014.

Left my resume with them at the Stanford job fair this September. Had a 30-minute interview as one of many stanford candidated for the job. Was asked about my education, previous work experience (which I didn't have), why I want to work for them (please come prepared for that question, they want to know you did your homework and looked at their website!) and so on. Had a short brain teaser about jelly beans - not too difficult, just think out loud slowly and you're OK.

Interview Questions
    • Choose any general subject of your field and explain it to young children in 50 words.   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at IXL Learning in October 2014.

Applied through my university's career website. Was quickly contacted about doing a programming assignment. 3 java questions, nothing too hard. After 2 weeks was contacted to set up a phone interview with a developer. He was quite awkward on the phone. Asked me 2 coding questions and 1 brain teaser. I thought the coding questions were pretty silly and the brain teaser was easy. I messed up one of the coding questions though because the answer was a lot more obvious than I had anticipated. After that, I was declined. I was pretty surprised considering I did moderately well in the interview and expressed a lot of interest in the company. Guess they are looking for interviewers who get 100% right, or the interviewer I had was just a total jerk.

Interview Questions
    • write a function that prints a random prime number, 1-100   View Answer

Product Analyst - Science Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at IXL Learning in October 2014.

Interviewed during campus recruiting. Interview only lasted 30 minutes and seemed rushed. Recruiters were very friendly and kind but Interviewer was awkward and inexperienced. I wasn't surprised by the question content but thrown off by how uninterested the interviewer appeared.

Interview Questions
    • Demonstrate how you would teach a science concept of your choice to a third grader.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at IXL Learning.

1st interview was composed of two coding questions and two brain teasers. Then I was asked to complete a series of programming activities in Java on my own time within 2 days. Finally I had 2nd interview with a program manager that only was composed of programming questions. The questions are of average difficulty, but they like to ask you to solve things in really inefficient ways to throw you off. By the end of the 2nd interview, the interviewer had clearly stopped paying attention and I caught her off guard when I said I was finished.

Interview Questions
    • When you accept an interview, you agree to not release the details of their interview questions.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Was contacted by one of the recruiter. She scheduled me next week with the interview. They were very polite and nice. When I was stuck, they gave me some hint as well. The whole process took about two weeks. Interview questions were not hard and nothing unexpected but I didn't do well because I was not prepared.

Software Engineer Interview

Had 3 phone interviews and then invited to onsite interview. The process went pretty well. Very nice HR and efficient communication.

Typical Software engineer interview question. Get yourselves familiar with DS and Algo before interview. And some brain teasers!!