IXL Learning Interview Questions

Updated Sep 15, 2014
Updated Sep 15, 2014

2.8

Product Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at IXL Learning.

The interview process was very straightforward and fair. The interviews were conducted by phone and I was given opportunities to ask questions. It seemed like there was a fairly set script for the interview process.

Interview Questions
    • The second interview involved questions relating to a work sample. The interviewer was very good and very prepared, it was obvious that they looked extremely closely at the materials I submitted. The questions were very direct and probing. It was a challenging interview that caught me off-guard with the depth of their critique. I expected a bit more "getting to know you," from a second interview since they had gone through my qualifications very closely in the first interview. I thought this would give me more insight into who and how I would be working. Instead it was a more academic assessment of my skills. It also felt as if this were a scripted interaction and this was a bit awkward as the conversation did not flow as well and as easily as it could have if there were not specific items that were being worked through.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at IXL Learning.

After giving a recruiter my resume at a career fair at my university, they sent me an e-mail about two weeks later with a short coding skills test and gave me three days to complete it. After I sent it back, they got back to me within two days to set up a phone interview. I spoke to one of their engineers, who ran me through 3-4 verbal coding challenges (i.e. "How would you program this", with my answers coming as a hybrid of overall strategy and pseudocode). After I answered his questions, he asked briefly about the projects I had listed on my resume, then he asked if I had any questions for him about IXL. I answered all the coding questions and thought I did relatively well, but I got a final e-mail three days later informing me I was not going to receive an offer.

Interview Questions
    • How would you select a random number between 1 and 100? I thought it was straightforward but he was unsatisfied with my answer.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at IXL Learning in April 2014.

Met the first hire for the science product team at a campus career fair -- he was super friendly and excited about the product, and seemed enthusiastic about my background in science (will be graduating soon with 2 Masters degrees in science disciplines). I gave him my resume there, and a hiring manager from IXL contacted me within a few days to sign up for an interview slot during their on-campus recruiting the next week. The interview was only 30 min long, and was with a software engineer who had been at IXL for about 5 years. He only asked a few questions: a bit about my background and why I was interested in the position, what I thought about the IXL website, and to explain a scientific concept to a 3rd grader. I felt pretty good about the interview overall, and a few days later got an email with the written assignment, which I had 1 week to complete. Now waiting to hear back about that.

Interview Questions
    • I had heard there would be a brain teaser, but I ended up answering 3! (not sure if we just had a lot of extra time, or what). I feel like I shouldn't reveal what the brainteasers were, though...suffice it to say they were pretty fun to figure out!   Answer Question

Renewal Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Mateo, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at IXL Learning.

Hiring process took some time with approximately 2 weeks in between each step. First was a phone interview with a member of the department. If you get to the next level, they will schedule an in-person interview at their San Mateo HQ with a panel/group of people in that department. Each interviewer is allotted 30-45 mins each to interview you. One was conversational and the other two were semi-formal but not rigid like other interviews.

Applied for this position but ended being considered for another position which was good and bad. I was told I may be considered for another position but did not get into specifics until I received the actual offer. I was given two days to respond to their offer letter, which was rather fast in my opinion.

Interview Questions

Salary offer was WAY too low for standard cost of living in the Bay area

Product Analyst (Science) Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at IXL Learning.

Applied online. Was contacted by recruiting team a day later asking for cover letter. Sent that over and then had a phone interview with a product analyst. Questions were about resume, suggestions for improving website and the jellybean brainteaser. Next was the written assignment round that asks you to write explanations for science problems. There were also some questions about problem generators. I was given a week to complete that assignment. I thought I did very well on it, but heard back from the recruiting team a couple of days after submission saying they decided to not proceed.

Interview Questions
    • Written assignment - What are the rules for a problem generator   Answer Question

Product Analyst (Science) Interview

I applied online - interviewed at IXL Learning in March 2014.

I applied online and got an email request for a phone screen. The interviewer was also a product analyst for Math. Nothing out of the ordinary. In general, I got the feeling that he didn't really care about the interview and was just going through the motions. I asked about the next step in the process, He told me I will hear from them in a week. The whole interview was less than 30 mins. I got an email response in a couple of days.

Interview Questions
    • He asked what I thought about their site and had me give a sample teaching a science subject to a 4th grader. After that, he asked if I had any questions.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied online - interviewed at IXL Learning.

Phase 1 - Coding questions. There were two fairly basic Java coding questions on data structures and simple algorithms. One required implementing a hash table and the other required using a set to factor out duplicate strings.
    Phase 2 - Phone interview. The phone interview had further technical questions about Java and data structures.

Product Designer Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at IXL Learning.

I found the job off of our campus career center website. In a couple of days they had set up an interview on campus and I went to the career center for the interview. They asked several behavioral questions and then a brain teaser question at the end. The overall experience wasn't too bad.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me a brain teaser about finding a prize in three different boxes. There were clues to figure out where the prize was.   View Answer

Product Manager Interview

I met at a recruiter who was in the position I interviewed for at a job fair on Stanford's campus. I hadn't been specifically looking for a job or at the company, but she offered me an on campus interview the next day. After that, I was asked to answer some questions and do exercises, then I had a second round interview at the IXL office.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me a lot of brain teasers. Some were easy, one was challenging   Answer Question

Product Designer Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at IXL Learning.

Applied through a career fair and then had a campus interview. This in person interview as mainly about interest in the position and ended with a small fun brain teaser question. After this interview, it was followed by a online skills test.