IXL Learning

101 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Software Engineer Intern

I applied online and interviewed at IXL Learning.

Interview Details – Phase 1 - Coding questions. There were two fairly basic Java coding questions on data structures and simple algorithms. One required implementing a hash table and the other required using a set to factor out duplicate strings.
Phase 2 - Phone interview. The phone interview had further technical questions about Java and data structures.

Interview Question – Display all nodes of a tree except the leftmost node.   Answer Question

Product Designer Interview

Product Designer

I applied through college or university and interviewed at IXL Learning.

Interview Details – I found the job off of our campus career center website. In a couple of days they had set up an interview on campus and I went to the career center for the interview. They asked several behavioral questions and then a brain teaser question at the end. The overall experience wasn't too bad.

Interview Question – They asked me a brain teaser about finding a prize in three different boxes. There were clues to figure out where the prize was.   View Answer

Product Manager Interview

Product Manager

Interviewed at IXL Learning

Interview Details – I met at a recruiter who was in the position I interviewed for at a job fair on Stanford's campus. I hadn't been specifically looking for a job or at the company, but she offered me an on campus interview the next day. After that, I was asked to answer some questions and do exercises, then I had a second round interview at the IXL office.

Interview Question – They asked me a lot of brain teasers. Some were easy, one was challenging   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Product Designer Interview

Product Designer

I applied through college or university and interviewed at IXL Learning.

Interview Details – Applied through a career fair and then had a campus interview. This in person interview as mainly about interest in the position and ended with a small fun brain teaser question. After this interview, it was followed by a online skills test.

Interview Question – There was no technical questions. Mainly behavioral.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer

Interviewed at IXL Learning

Interview Details – Contacted by IXL Learning after applying online. Had one phone interview, then a skills test, then another phone interview. Contacted a little while later indicating that I was not a good fit for the position. Thus ended my brief stint with IXL Learning, if you can call it a sting in the first place.

Interview Question – The interviews are usually a mix of technical and behavioral questions. Technical questions are related to data structures and algorithms, nothing too difficult. Logic questions are also asked which can be a bit challenging.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Software Engineer Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at IXL Learning in February 2014.

Interview Details – Submitted resume on campus career fair. First round is phone interview, including some concepts and algorithm questions. There was no actual coding, but you might want to draft on the paper. The second round was a java code test. I got the question via email and was asked to send back my answer in one week. It includes some interaction between Java and html and optimization based on a trivial solution. I sent it back and got the rejection several days later.

Interview Question – Not so hard. But the code test is open so you don't know what is the best   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Madison, WI

Interview Details – I met with the recruiter in the university career fair. The same person interviewed me the next day. He was very nice. He asked me a few questions about my resume. then a brain teaser that how do I find the number of cells tower in bay area. Then, two coding problems. The first one is how to know it the first character of a string is capital. The second one is how to know how many times a specific character appears in a string. I came up with solutions really fast. Then, he asked me if I can do optimization with the second problem.
The next interview has two take home java coding problems. I were asked to return the answer within three business days. The first asks how to determine two sets of strings are equivalent regardless of duplicates and orders. The second one asks how to improve two java methods that generate html codes. I finished the problems and got rejected right after I submitted my solutions.

Interview Question – Rewrite two java methods that generate html codes to make them better.   Answer Question

Product Analyst - Math Interview

Product Analyst - Math

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at IXL Learning in January 2014.

Interview Details – Saw IXL at a career fair at my university and got an interview on campus the next day (had to upload my resume to their website before then--the cover letter was optional). The interview itself was pretty laid back, and my interviewer and I hit it off really well personality-wise. There was a role play part, in which I had to explain what the domain of a function is to an 8th grader and a brain teaser (the jelly bean one everyone is referring to).

After less than a couple of weeks, I got an e-mail about scheduling a phone interview. Mine was with someone who was working for the same position I was applying for, and it turned out she had a math Ph.D. in the same field I work in. Well, unfortunately, a lot of math Ph.D.s are a little awkward, and this phone conversation suffered a bit for it--there were some of those awkward silences that other people have mentioned, although not that many. It didn't help that my interviewer wasn't a native speaker and spoke with a thick accent. There was another role play question, but this time I had to explain the concept of the limit of a sequence to someone in pre-calculus. I'm pretty good at this, but the phone interviewer wasn't really playing the part herself, so I subconsciously switched from talking to a pre-calc student to someone more mature. Eventually I was asked another brain teaser (expected, question posted below), which I answered correctly and was able to explain in detail. The idea was the same as the jelly bean problem and you solve it the same way.

I thought that since the phone interview was kind of awkward and my personality didn't jive with the phone interviewer's, I would get a rejection e-mail immediately. Instead I got instructions for a written assignment (to write solutions to sample math problems at the 3rd grade level & at the high school level, make suggestions for the website, how the problems might vary, what sort of options there should be available for these kinds of problems, etc.) to complete within a week. By this point in time, I didn't really want to work for this company anymore (recently learned that I can't move to CA for personal reasons) and so didn't spend much time on the assignment. I did submit it anyway and heard back less than three days later with the rejection letter--I appreciate their timeliness, and the letter was friendly enough.

Not sure what exactly about my application led to them ultimately rejecting me (I am one of the highest rated instructors at my university, not just in math, and have a decent amount of programming experience, so I certainly have the skill set they're looking for). If I had to guess, it would be because I didn't get along well enough with the interviewer, but I guess I don't really care what the reason was.

Interview Question – An "evil king" has to marry off his daughter and places her picture in one of three labeled boxes: Gold, Silver & Lead. Each box has an inscription. Gold: "The picture is inside this box." Silver: "The picture is not inside this box." Lead: "The picture isn't inside the gold box." Only one of the statements is true, and potential suitors have one shot at picking the correct box with the picture. Which box is it in?   View Answer

Software Engineering Interview

Software Engineering

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at IXL Learning in February 2014.

Interview Details – Got a campus interview on campus. Had to send my resume through our career center website. Had to wait for a week or so to find out that I could reserve an interview time on campus.

Interview Question – Given a string and a length n, how to do a word wrap where you need to insert a new line in the space character before at length n   Answer Question

Product Analyst Interview

Product Analyst

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at IXL Learning.

Interview Details – After emailing my application, I was contacted within a few days to set up a phone interview. Pretty standard questions were asked. Afterwards, I was later emailed with a skills test that I had a week to complete. The next step was an onsite interview. Within a week of the interview, I was contacted and offered a position.

Interview Question – the brainteasers where challenging and seemed like a waste of time   Answer Question