IXL Learning Interview Questions

Updated Oct 14, 2014
Updated Oct 14, 2014

2.8

Marketing Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at IXL Learning in July 2014.

Applied to this position through Jobvite. Conducted a phone interview were I was asked fairly standard questions, such as describe your experience, tell me more about yourself. Also had the chance to ask several questions.

After the phone interview, I received 5 questions to fill out over the next 4-5 days, which were essentially samples of how would you write copy for IXL Learning.

Product Analyst - Science Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Foster City, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Foster City, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at IXL Learning in June 2014.

I applied to the Product Analyst position online without knowing anyone at the company and got notification that I'd be having a phone interview within about a week of my application.

The phone interview had all the standard questions (Why IXL?, etc) in addition to a brain teaser. I was also asked to describe my PhD research as I would to a kid in 4th Grade. I was notified at the end of the phone call that I'd be advancing to the next round, the skills test.

They emailed me the skills test with a few questions for me to answer at home over the space of a week. The questions were, apparently, a fairly good representation of the type of work you'd be doing for the company in this position. I did my best but was a little unsure about how I'd done, but it must have been good enough because within a few days I was notified that I would be advancing to the on-site interview round.

The onsite interview lasted about 2 hours. I met with 3 different people; a math product analyst, a science product analyst and a director. You are just left in one room the whole time while the interviewers come to you, but they give you some puzzles and reading material about the company to keep you entertained while you're waiting. The two product analysts were very heavy on skills questions, very similar to the take-home skills test but you are expected to answer on the spot. You're given an example of a problem that might appear on the website then asked how you would vary difficulty on this problem, what other types of questions you might ask and how you'd make it more engaging. The director asked more typical interview questions about past conflicts/resolutions at work, why I want to work at that company, what experience makes me the ideal candidate, etc.

In the end, I was left feeling unsure how I'd done but didn't feel like I'd said anything too stupid. I didn't get an offer so I don't have any useful advice about what they may be looking for.

Product Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at IXL Learning.

The interview process was very straightforward and fair. The interviews were conducted by phone and I was given opportunities to ask questions. It seemed like there was a fairly set script for the interview process.

Interview Questions
    • The second interview involved questions relating to a work sample. The interviewer was very good and very prepared, it was obvious that they looked extremely closely at the materials I submitted. The questions were very direct and probing. It was a challenging interview that caught me off-guard with the depth of their critique. I expected a bit more "getting to know you," from a second interview since they had gone through my qualifications very closely in the first interview. I thought this would give me more insight into who and how I would be working. Instead it was a more academic assessment of my skills. It also felt as if this were a scripted interaction and this was a bit awkward as the conversation did not flow as well and as easily as it could have if there were not specific items that were being worked through.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at IXL Learning.

After giving a recruiter my resume at a career fair at my university, they sent me an e-mail about two weeks later with a short coding skills test and gave me three days to complete it. After I sent it back, they got back to me within two days to set up a phone interview. I spoke to one of their engineers, who ran me through 3-4 verbal coding challenges (i.e. "How would you program this", with my answers coming as a hybrid of overall strategy and pseudocode). After I answered his questions, he asked briefly about the projects I had listed on my resume, then he asked if I had any questions for him about IXL. I answered all the coding questions and thought I did relatively well, but I got a final e-mail three days later informing me I was not going to receive an offer.

Interview Questions
    • How would you select a random number between 1 and 100? I thought it was straightforward but he was unsatisfied with my answer.   Answer Question

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at IXL Learning in May 2014.

Found this job posting on LinkedIn and submitted my application through the the website. I was contacted the next day by a recruiter regarding a phone interview for next steps. The interviewer gave me an overview of the company, its value, and the company culture. She also gave me an overview of the recruiting coordinator role and asked me a couple of questions regarding my experience, why IXL and why this position would be a good fit for me. After the phone call, I was given a job test to complete within a week and that they would get back to me soon. After submitting the job test, the recruiting team got back to me regarding a second phone interview. The second phone interview was similar to the first, where the interviewer asked me questions regarding my recent work experience and work style.

After a couple of days, I was invited to an on-site interview. I came onsite and met with the same recruiter that I spoke on the phone with for my first phone interview. She talked about what makes IXL unique and gave me a quick tour of the office. The company had recently expanded, so they are now currently occupying both the 4th floor and the 6th floor. I met with the recruiting team, the recruiting manager, and the executive vice president. During my interview, I got to learn more about the company and its employees and how everyone was extremely passionate in what they were doing here at IXL. After the interview, they told me they would let me know within a week if I'd gotten the job. I received the offer letter 3 days later.

The whole interview process and hiring process was also very efficient and I was able to start soon after completing the interview process.

Interview Questions
    • Typical interview questions. Interview focused on relevant experience and work style. Be prepared to provide examples to demonstrate wok style.   Answer Question

Renewal Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at IXL Learning.

Hiring process took some time with approximately 2 weeks in between each step. First was a phone interview with a member of the department. If you get to the next level, they will schedule an in-person interview at their San Mateo HQ with a panel/group of people in that department. Each interviewer is allotted 30-45 mins each to interview you. One was conversational and the other two were semi-formal but not rigid like other interviews.

Applied for this position but ended being considered for another position which was good and bad. I was told I may be considered for another position but did not get into specifics until I received the actual offer. I was given two days to respond to their offer letter, which was rather fast in my opinion.

Interview Questions

Salary offer was WAY too low for standard cost of living in the Bay area

Product Analyst (Science) Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at IXL Learning.

Applied online. Was contacted by recruiting team a day later asking for cover letter. Sent that over and then had a phone interview with a product analyst. Questions were about resume, suggestions for improving website and the jellybean brainteaser. Next was the written assignment round that asks you to write explanations for science problems. There were also some questions about problem generators. I was given a week to complete that assignment. I thought I did very well on it, but heard back from the recruiting team a couple of days after submission saying they decided to not proceed.

Interview Questions
    • Written assignment - What are the rules for a problem generator   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied online – interviewed at IXL Learning.

Phase 1 - Coding questions. There were two fairly basic Java coding questions on data structures and simple algorithms. One required implementing a hash table and the other required using a set to factor out duplicate strings.
    Phase 2 - Phone interview. The phone interview had further technical questions about Java and data structures.

Product Designer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at IXL Learning.

I found the job off of our campus career center website. In a couple of days they had set up an interview on campus and I went to the career center for the interview. They asked several behavioral questions and then a brain teaser question at the end. The overall experience wasn't too bad.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me a brain teaser about finding a prize in three different boxes. There were clues to figure out where the prize was.   View Answer

Product Manager Interview

I met at a recruiter who was in the position I interviewed for at a job fair on Stanford's campus. I hadn't been specifically looking for a job or at the company, but she offered me an on campus interview the next day. After that, I was asked to answer some questions and do exercises, then I had a second round interview at the IXL office.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me a lot of brain teasers. Some were easy, one was challenging   Answer Question