Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai

Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai Interview Questions

Updated Apr 3, 2015

2.2

Administrative Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai.

Interview

First, I had a brief phone interview with the manager. Two weeks later, I had an in-person interview with the manager who interviewed me over the phone as well as met with other members of the administrative staff, including the director. Then I was invited back for a second round interview the following week to meet with some faculty members.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself.
      How do you handle stress?
      Where do you see yourself in five years?
      What extracurriculars are you involved in?

Answer Question

Research Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai.

Interview

I approached a principal investigator directly, via email, asking about available positions. First I had a phone interview then a second interview in person. During the first interview, the PI asked about my goals and a time frame for the internship. He also briefly want over skills and experience listed in my resume. The second interview had more in-depth questions about my skills and experience. Then he explained the project I would help with before I was taken on a tour of the labs and introduced to other researchers.

Interview Questions

Interview

I applied it through Mount Sinai career portal. After a week I was invited for interview which was for 2hours after 2 months I was given decision. But attending the interview is worth while as I learned a lot from it.

Interview Questions

• Interview was based on my experience and projects I worked on   Answer Question

Bioinformatician Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai.

Interview

Interview process: multiple phone interviews that took somewhere from 10 minutes to more than an hour, submission of skill test project which took several hours to complete and a half-day of in person interviews including a research presentation. I was interviewed by some really nice people, it would have been nice to get the offer but I had a positive experience regardless.

Data Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai.

Interview

I was an intern with the same PI so the actual interview process was very relaxed. I already went through a 8 month interview as an intern.

Postdoctoral Research Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai (New York, NY) in December 2013.

Interview

They reached me when i was working in another insititute and offered me this positiona with the opportunity of becoming a professor in their institute, and i had an easy interview. i was exactly what they were looking for

Interview Questions

• can you please join my group and manage it?   1 Answer

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai.

Interview

A short phone interview. Then I got an offer

Graduate Student Interview

Interview

After submitting my application, they invited me to interview at the school for a day. The interviews were about 45 min each in the morning, then we toured the school and attended a faculty luncheon for the rest of the day. Everyone -- faculty, students -- was so warm and welcoming.

Administrative Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai.

Interview

Met with department HR manager and the department Administrator.

Interview Questions

• "Tell me about yourself'. This can be a make or break point in the interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was not given a chance to negotiate.

Software Engineer/Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai (New York, NY) in March 2013.

Interview

Initial contact was done via email. I was invited to the first interview. I talked to four people, all of them were knowledgeable and pleasant. They explained their challenges and environment, seemed like a great place to work potentially. My experience seemed like a perfect fit for the position.

In a few days I was called back to talk to the Director. When I arrived I was told that before the director I need to talk to a manager of NeuroCore lab. He told me that I was supposed to talk to him the first day but he was out. This gentleman was asking me some very basic questions, sometimes repeating questions he already asked. Overall, I got a negative impression. Then he took me to the Director of the Institute, entered the room and stayed. The Director seemed out of it: didn't know who I am or what position I'm being interviewed for. He asked the gentlemen I just talked to help him ask me relevant questions... and he proceeded to ask me the same basic question again. Then he told me if I would consider taking part-time or consulting arrangement (I was initially told this was a full-time position). I told them that depending on the benefits and compensation I would consider.

I was called back the third time and asked to participate in a technical meeting. I was glad to see the job from up close. After the meeting talked to the manager of NeuroCore lab again. He told me that they changed job description and now it's a part-time only. At this point I lost all interest, considering that I wouldn't be getting any medical benefits for my family. Then he tried to low-ball me on the salary (trust me, ridiculous offer) and I told him this is not the offer I'm looking for. He asked me what I'm looking for and I told him. That was Thursday, he said they need a few days to decide. On Monday I got an email that stated that I'm too expensive and they don't have the budget.

All in all, I liked the place and seemed like an interesting place to work, but interaction with the NeuroCore Lab manager (he'd be my direct boss) was off-putting and I'm relieved that I didn't end up in this situation.

Interview Questions

• Changing position description during the interview process from full-time to part-time.   Answer Question