Idea Couture Interview Questions

Updated Oct 29, 2014

3.3

Interviews for Top Jobs at Idea Couture

US Interview

Similar to another candidate's experience. Went through and had great interviews with members of the team but then had a very weird experience with a partner. The partner down played the job essentially saying it was stupid and it was my job in the interview to show I was indeed dumb enough to want it. Not a typical interview and socially awkward. If the partners and CEO are off it might say something about the company as a whole since they embody the vision of the company.

Strategist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Idea Couture in March 2014.

The first one was a general one on the phone and the second interview was at their office. This consisted of two interviews 1 regular case and 1 written case. Case interview was pretty typical - maybe fewer numbers than a typical case. The written case was tough, they give you an hour (or so) to prepare it and then you basically have to present a series of power point slides and there were some difficult economics problems and some tricky insights and my knowledge of the industry.

Interview Questions
    • Interview Question – How do you frame a problem and the example was where would Apple find growth and why? The second one was relating to Netflix and what is the right strategy for them.   View Answer
    Professional and I've met three people before the last one which was the CEO. Very tough questions from him and they weren't easy at all. I realized he was not expecting me to have the answers. Just see how I respond to them.

Graphic Designer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Idea Couture.

It was the most truly bizzare and unprofessional interview I've ever had.

Saw a post for the job, yet the post said no attachments.
    A bit of a pickle, given that as an "innovation firm" a lot of qualifying case studies would be confidential. Sent links to public work and CV with the message that if they wanted more relevant case study examples they should email me and I would send it through.
    Got an interview -- the first question was "why didn't you attach a CV and portfolio to your application"?
    From the HR person! Wow.
    The senior designer I met with in conjunction was also defensive and odd, calling me flat-out "overqualified" during the interview, and that I would "be bored there."
    Which seems a bit different than what their manifesto for growth is? And their leading edge innovation design? If I'm over-qualified then, boy howdy, I must be on the bleeding edge of something.

Needless to say, I didn't expect much after that, until 2 days later I got a call to meet the CEO for a second interview!

In this interview, as opposed to being told I was over-qualified, I was told that I would have to be retrained for at least 6 months to just "understand" the entirely new way that the firm looks at design. Yet, could not even describe a project they'd competed in this space besides to gesture to a few brands.

When asked about their relationship to the competitors in the space -- say, IDEO, Frog, Fjord, Gravity, Lunar, Smart Design, etc... "Oh, they are JUST design firms. We are something far more advanced."

The CEO gave me a long look, and I knew in that moment I had been deigned too stupid to work at Idea Couture.

I took a job with one of their lowly competitors.

Senior Strategist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Idea Couture.

It was a bit unusual. I met first with someone who said she was from HR, but was really just the receptionist. Then I met with a couple other strategists who were very bright, but very junior. Then I met with the CEO, who wore sunglasses indoors. It was very creepy and he seemed to be leering at me.

Interview Questions
    I was only offered a contract position.

Web Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Idea Couture in February 2012.

applied on LinkedIn, got an e-mail fairly quickly. Setup an in-person interview at their Wellington St. address in Toronto. I was interviewed by 2 employees. I used the Idea Couture website to prepare for the interview, which was useful.

Perceptions of people/workplace: the people seemed nice enough, although I thought they shuttled me in and out of the interview rather hastily. I recommend NOT asking for any tea when they offer it to you. It wasn't until toward the end of my interview that I finally received it (lol)... ultimately, I feel as if they wasted my time a little bit because it turns out they were looking for someone with substantial experience as a Project Manager when it was clear from my resume that I didn't have that.