Interview Question

Interview

If Google decided to charge g-mail users, how would you

recommend implementing this? Would it be sustainable and what would be the advantages and disadvantages?
Tags:
behavioral
Answer

Interview Answer

10 Answers

This post has been removed.
Please see our Community Guidelines or Terms of Service for more information.

I believe it would no make sense. The business model of google is a two side platform, so they don't charge users , because they are the base of information . They charge companies though online advertisement products and other products . As many users for free they have more companies would have interest to work with google and pay for the advertisement products.

Luana on Mar 22, 2014

Since it's a Google Interview question, we've got to give an answer, even if a paying Gmail doesn't make sense since the business model is on advertising. I would go for a freemium model with an enhanced functionalities+ awesome interface Gmail client, working offline, unlimited space (1To for instance). Target would be 5% customer base of 1billion =50millions paying customers Fee : $2 /month Revenues = $1.2b /year

OlivierSeres on May 21, 2014

The first thing Gmail users will want to know is WHY...all of a sudden...Gmail is not FREE?? And Google should expect to cause a panic in the minds of their customers. Because, if "I have to pay for Gmail...that must mean that soon, everything on the internet will follow suit." In this regard, I hold that charging money to access and utilize Gmail is not a sustainable business concept. In fact, the feeling of betrayal within the hearts and minds of Google's customers is THE most significant disadvantage. However, if it MUST be so that Google charges users to access and utilize new and existing Gmail accounts; well, quite candidly, the greatest advantage would be a significantly positive impact on profitability. Considering, of course, that some new "breakthrough" is implemented into Gmail (first as an Upgrade option for paid service, then standardized across the board for all users). The said "breakthrough" created by Google, in this example, would most certainly demand a marketing campaign centered around coaching the global public on HOW and WHY Google is changing the way we all think about email. Wow! -- The "WOW" factor created in the hearts and minds of Google and Gmail customers will need to be embedded, repeated, delivered in as unique a way as you wish your customers to identify Google with innovation--changing the world...not changing my bank account!! Thus, the decision to charge Gmail users should take into account the emotions of all Google customers, and all Internet users. And the families that will be affected by this net deficit to multiple family members, simultaneously, all paying for email service; and the take-home pay of those family members that will be stretched further than it already is, to include paying for ONE (or 2, 3, 4...) MORE fixed cost every month.

J. Nichols on Jul 16, 2014

supportgmails.com is an independent online computer support service provider. Support may be available from original manufacturer, often free. The brand names, trademarks, Logos, Company names used in the site belongs to their respective owners and here used for only reference. we disclaim any ownership or endowment by any third party products.

24*7 Gmail tech support 1-888-959-6787 (Toll Free)| Gmail Online Support | G mail live help on Jan 2, 2015

With there being so many free email providers gmail would have to start by offering something signifigant that noboody else is/has. Exclusives. Such as if paying for gmail meant that I could get remote assistance with minor computer issues. You could use this feature so many times per subscription? Maybe thats just silly though...

Anonymous on Feb 5, 2015

Incentives

Anonymous on Feb 17, 2015

I would start by understanding if you want to give both the options i.e. Free + Paid users. Then, I would want to understand what the reason for moving to Paid option is. Then I would go on to identify what the loss in number of users and ad consumers would be as a consequence. With that I would then identify what would be the ideal pricing point. Now, I will try to analyze what the risks are of the following: 1. Loss of free users to the competition 2. Loss of data 3. Loss of potential ad consumers and thus lesser ad revenue

Anonymous on Apr 9, 2015

C Free

Anonymous on May 27, 2015

Always

Anonymous on May 27, 2015

Add Answers or Comments

To comment on this, Sign In or Sign Up.