Bloomberg L.P.

www.bloomberg.com
  www.bloomberg.com

Interview Question

Financial Software Developer Intern Interview New York, NY

If you have all the companies that are traded, and live

inputs are coming of which company is being traded and what is the volume, how do you maintain the data, so that you can carry out operation of giving the top 10 most traded companies by volume of shares most efficiently.
Tags:
technical, algorithm
Answer

Interview Answer

2 Answers

I juggled between Hash Map and Max Heap. I said Max Heap, since I can take out top 10 companies in a jiffy with a Max Heap. But then he asked you will need to find a company everytime there is a trade, which will take quite some time in Heap. He pointed out that in real world scenario, number of trades happening, and hence searching of the company and updating it, will be many times more than finding top 10. Which bought me to HashMap. Updations can happen in Real time, while finding top 10 can be done in O(n) or O(nlog(n)) time.
Even that wasn't optimal obviously. The interviewer was very nice and friendly type guy. He stressed that at every trade, at most, only 1 company will change in my top 10. This hit me and got me to the correct answer that we keep all actual data in HashMap, but also maintain a MinHeap of 10 most traded company.

Interview Candidate on Apr 14, 2013

What about you maintain a binary search tree. With every insert you insert the company name and the volume of shares traded for it.

My basic node for the tree would then be

Node
key -- company name
value -- volume
leftNode
rightNode
}

So at every new insert I will keep on inserting in the tree.
And at the time of final retrieval , I can run the following code until the count of global count reaches 10.

traversal(Node a)
 if(a!=null)
   traverse(a.getRightNode());
   System.out.println(a.getKey()+a.getValue());
   traverse(a.getLeftNode());
}

What are your views on this solution ?

Sameer Sawla on Nov 26, 2013

Add Answers or Comments

To comment on this, Sign In or Sign Up.