Interview Question

Research Associate Interview

If you were to get rid of one state in the US, which would

it be and why?
Tags:
accounting
Answer

Interview Answer

69 Answers

Please see our Community Guidelines or Terms of Service for more information.

Alaska & Hawaii because those states are off doing their own thing while the other states are connected and working together as a group. Teamwork is more important than working on a project alone.

Alan on Jan 17, 2013

Arizona. It does not follow any of the standard US timezones (Mountain Standard Time, but no Mountain Daylight Time for most of the state; except the Navajo Nation, which DOES observe both MST/MDT).

Very confusing when you are trying to deal with timezone-aware applications. Just get rid of it.

Hlorri on Jan 17, 2013

Texas. They want secession from the US.

Jay on Jan 17, 2013

Illinois.

Bob from Illinois on Jan 17, 2013

Obviously Vermont. It has the lowest GDP of all states at $25.91 billion/year.

Joe on Jan 17, 2013

Wyoming, because it actually doesn't exist. It was some kind of cartographer's joke that the name is there where it is. Think about it, do you actually know anyone or have you met anyone from Wyoming? Didn't think so.

Will on Jan 17, 2013

The state of confussion!

Anonymous on Jan 17, 2013

Please see our Community Guidelines or Terms of Service for more information.

The one in the name. Because getting rid of 'state' gives you the united s of america or USA.

Jh on Jan 17, 2013

Please see our Community Guidelines or Terms of Service for more information.

Vermont. The whole state should just be made into a giant national park.

jwo on Jan 18, 2013

Yeah, those Jersey folks never learned english, "pak the ca Joey"

Steve on Jan 18, 2013

I would choose California based on their economy alone. Their budget deficit is larger than New York, Ohio, Connecticut, Minnesota, and North Carolina combined. One you add Hollywood to the mix, it's a no brainer!

James G on Jan 18, 2013

Why would you want someone working here who had the arrogance to think that s/he alone should make that kind of decision? I would want a small team with relevant expertise, empowered by the highest authority possible, and with great relationships with those affected, to even define the criteria for making the decision before making it.

jake3_14 on Jan 18, 2013

I would not get rid of any states but I would rather combine 2 states in one. NJ and NY for example.

SH on Jan 19, 2013

I wouldn't get rid of any of the states because they all play a part in making this country great.

Lisa on Jan 19, 2013

"There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it……” Well, after perusing the majority of uncouth and acerbic replies, it is imperative for me to purchase a ticket to Venus (planet of love), ASAP!!! – Do I want the power “to destroy”? Absolutely NO! I shall stay and contribute my little grain of salt to keep every speck of Earth together (enough destruction already) and help “to build” again and again – Surely, I do not want to do it alone! – Shockingly, whilst glancing at the pond the inquiry below landed on my inquisitive mind: HAVE anyone thought for one brief moment that every single state of US ("United" States) have children, grandmas, grandpas, mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers (alive humans, just like you and me.) I am quite aware that most of us have been challenge/tested to the core. However, you must strain your solidest effort to have compassion for humans and the planet Earth.
My favourite reply was “The state of confusion” by Anonymous
“The world is divided about people who likes the sunset and those who don't!” Please stop the “confusion” (destroying is not the solution) and let’s enjoy the sunset “together”

Survivor on Jan 19, 2013

The state of dependency because everyone needs to find a way to play it forward

Bob on Jan 19, 2013

West Virginia, because it somewhat illegally tore itself away from Virginia during the Civil War. West Virginia was on the Union side, while Virgina was on the Confederacy side.

Mariana on Jan 19, 2013

Please see our Community Guidelines or Terms of Service for more information.

We could easily "get rid of one state" by merging the two most similar neighbouring states in terms of processes, governance, etc. Maybe Rhode Island and Connecticut. There are a number of implications to systems, structures, etc, but could be a decent cost cutting exercise if implemented properly. USA would then have 49 States and be more efficient.

Also, in response to some of the answers above, Puerto Rico is not a state, Hawaii and Alaska have financial and strategic importance (oil, location, etc), and Texas is a very resource rich state.

Steve on Jan 22, 2013

State of Franklin.
It's already come and gone, and no one really misses it.

Charles.. .. on Jan 22, 2013

California. I think my life would have liked there and work. I think that their life is dynamic, fast-paced, less pretentious, and impersonal commercial as well as in the northern states.

Radoslav D. Hristov on Jan 22, 2013

the state of depression

Jean d'Arc on Jan 22, 2013

New York!

Oshin on Jan 22, 2013

The answer is still NONE.
Everyone deserves the chance to be a part of a society, that makes us a great nation. To choose any state only shows the potential hatred/bias that haunts us all. We chose to be who we are, yet it is the unified nation that will survive long after we are gone.
Chose a state and you don't get the job.

Raven on Jan 23, 2013

The interstates. Boring driving. We need to re-awaken our love of the tapestry of this nation on roads that actually go through towns.

Matthew on Jan 23, 2013

Coming from a person who has met people from all states I say New Jersey. Meanest people I ever met.

dewooded on Jan 23, 2013

The question is not saying you must get rid of a state. It is saying if you were to get rid of one then which and why. My response would be I would not get rid of any and cannot think of a good reason to do so.

Jim B. on Jan 23, 2013

Louisiana- they have HUGE cockroaches and other nasty critters!

Robert L. on Jan 23, 2013

I would rid Dell's state of current US revenue and would multiply the previously mentioned grossed US number earned infinitely to itself. Why? Wouldn't Dell desire a higher monetary state than they were in yesterday or even today?

KS in NYC on Jan 23, 2013

the UK - it is too far away and on a different continent

bart on Jan 24, 2013

Good Question and during an interview I would provide an answer to the question. Best part of my answer would be that whatever state I did choose it would be the correct one as there isn't a correct answer. The question (and most others) are intended to evaluate your thinking process, how one handles pressure and the unexpected, and as long as one has a logical thought out answer/explanation it will be the right one!
One of my favorite questions was "Of a Penquin, Tiger and Lamb, which animal would you be and why?"

Wayne on Jan 24, 2013

I would say Alaska sell it to Canada wipe of a bunch of debt the resources and land are still owned by American people and American companies just the taxes go to Canada and different laws take affect like gun control and health care and other regulations Canada takes good care of national parks we get a huge amount of money to pay off our deficit

Aaron on Jan 24, 2013

i want get some work as soon as posible...i have 2 children 20 and 18 years old...i need refugee...thx.....

tan tjoen shiah on Jan 24, 2013

Not at all., I love my country

sina on Jan 24, 2013

tnx 4 chalence

ernesto leonzon jr on Jan 24, 2013

Its florida....
you can find 'rid' embedded in 'florida'

alok kumar pandey on Jan 25, 2013

there is no state with the name 'ONE'

JIGNESH SANGHRAJKA on Jan 25, 2013

THANKS

RAHUL KUMAR on Jan 27, 2013

THANKS

RAHUL KUMAR on Jan 27, 2013

No one ... I do not have a severe heart ...

Yousif Ayoub Tobiya on Jan 28, 2013

No one ... I do not have a severe heart ...

Yousif Ayoub Tobiya on Jan 28, 2013

How will the state be disposed of? By violent destruction, expulsion, or sale to a foreign power? Or am I to suppose it never existed?

That is the correct answer, for you people that have to actually answer this question, you have to define "get rid of" which is ambiguous.

Then if they say "never existed" or "violent destruction", the correct answer is, and I say this compassionately, New Jersey. It would eliminate untold environmental, fashion, and television pollution. Put it out of its misery. And yes, I've lived there.

Enrique on Jan 28, 2013

i think ALASKA & HAWAI cz they dn't depnd upon anthr state,,,,,,,,,,,,

shivam on Jan 28, 2013

Anonymous on Feb 15, 2013

More than 1, as the question itself says that there are more than 1 (cows).

Raghunath on Feb 16, 2013

states and country is just like fingers and palm

sidharthankuttan on Feb 19, 2013

I would propose merging North and South Dakota into a single state.

The resulting state of Dakota would still be smaller in area than California, Texas, and Alaska, and smaller in population than about 30 other states.

mputerba on Mar 26, 2013

al ans are only my thing.

mr.milind j. jadhav on Apr 23, 2013

florida.....too hot now, and in 300 years will be underwater anyway..long term planning is a strength

bobatlehigh on Jun 19, 2013

I'd choose to combine North Dakota and South Dakota, and re-name it after myself. Ha, j/k. Of course it can be named Dakota or whatever the people vote on.

EstherDee on Jan 10, 2014

California because it is a pest hole of everything that is wrong with the USA, or Texas, because I live in Texas, we can go alone, and I have had enough of California ruining everything that is decent.

C Magnus on Jan 22, 2014

Add Answers or Comments

To comment on this, Sign In or Sign Up.