Ifbyphone

Updated Oct 22, 2014

2.9

Customer Success Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Ifbyphone in October 2014.

Responded to an online ad about customer success associate. Got a call back and discussed the position. Had an in person interview and the interview was terrible. Arrogant interviewees and asking me if I'd been on the website and what I thought about it and how I'd deal with this situation. Kept cutting me off, didn't allow me to finish my points. Felt like they were trying to sell me something.

Major Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

In person interview was set up prior to coming in. Met with two managers who asked three or four general questions "Tell us about your current sales process" "What do you know about ifbyphone" "Walk us through your resume".

By far the most unprofessional experience i've had in an interview; let me explain what i mean:
    - No eye contact between myself and the interviewer asking the questions
    - Looking at emails on cell phone during interview
    - Very non enthusiastic
    - Couldn't answer my questions about future goals of the business directly
    - No contact information given by either person for a typical follow up thank you email

If the interview I was in was a meeting with a client, I would have asked them if I was wasting their time, as i've never seen two people so disinterested in being there. I was so turned off after the interview so much that I didn't WANT to work there. Let alone here if they were going to be offering anything.

Applications Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Ifbyphone.

I was introduced to Ifbyphone through a recruiter and was mildly interested. A phone interview was setup quickly with an outside consultant, which seemed to go well but at this point I was still only mildly interested. I received an email a few days later asking me to schedule a phone interview with Phil, a manager for the technical side of the company. There was a problem with my phone the day of the scheduled interview and I had to reschedule, and I was very grateful that Phil was understanding and accommodating. It was about a week and a half before we were able to schedule a followup interview, and after that I became much more excited about the opportunity. I was asked to return for an in person interview later that week to meet with Phil in person as well as with two other team leads. This interview was much more technical than my phone interviews, but compared to other companies it wasn't too academic. I wasn't asked any theoretical questions or to define vocabulary, but was given some sample code and asked to just discuss it; what the code did, any concerns I had with it, and how I would change it if it was my code. After meeting with all three interviewers 1 on 1, I was getting ready to leave when the VP of Engineering asked if I would mind taking some time to speak with him as well. I agreed and had a brief interview with him where we discussed my background in more detail, and talked about potential compensation if I were hired. I was called back later that same day to setup a brief in person interview with the CEO later that week, and received an informal offer from the CEO and a written offer via email the next day.

Interview Questions
    • I was given a basic loop with a variety of return statements and boolean expressions and asked to explain the significance of each.   Answer Question

Major Account Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Ifbyphone.

A lot of Q/A about job and past experience. Walk around office. Meet with other management.

Interview Questions
    • Didnt feel like they really cared. Had the impression they brought in a lot of people.   Answer Question

Director of Infrastructure Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Ifbyphone in February 2014.

Chaotic at best.

I had applied through their own web site for the position and then followed up through linkedin . I received an email from Billy telling me they would like to schedule a phone conversation with their Senior Technical Recruiter. I spoke to Amy mid-day that day and had an excellent conversation.

The topic of compensation did come up and I explained that coming into the Chicago Market I did not know what was a "fair" wage and that we could revisit that if there was interest on both sides. That evening I received an email from Amy telling me "our EVP of Engineering would like to chat for 30 minutes on the phone to learn more about you". We scheduled a call for the following day.

I spent the rest of the night doing my research on the company, signing up for a developer account, getting familiar with the technology. I had read some negative reviews of the company but they were mostly from Sales positions and I could see this being a tough market play so I took the reviews with a grain of salt.

I was not overly impressed with the technology, but at least I'd be busy fixing and improving things.

The next morning I receive a very abrupt " we will not be moving forward with your candidacy at this time due to your salary requirements being well outside of our range". This email doesn't even come from anyone I'd been dealing with but through the JobVite site.

I followed up trying to make sense of it since how was I outside their range since I was quite clear I didn't have a range. It was further complicated by the fact there were two Amy's involved one an internal employee and one an outside contractor. NOTE to HR people, if you have two people with the same first name dealing with a candidate please make that evident.

It went downhill from there and all of the negative reviews started to make sense. Their technology seems to need a major overhaul and in the end I'm glad they passed on me.

Sales/Customer Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Ifbyphone.

I applied online for a Ruby dev position. 2 months later, I get a call for a phone screen. I went for an in-person interview and after a conversation with the interview, decide that I would be a better fit for the Sales/Customer Engineer position.

A week later, I interview with a Sales/Customer Engineer and the hiring manager. It goes well. A few days later, I meet the hiring manager's boss and the CEO. They grill me about my experience and consistently put me on the spot; it felt more like an interrogation than an interview. The same day, I receive a form e-mail saying that "they went in another direction".

Interview Questions
    • Know the company and it's product offerings inside out. You will be asked to "sell" and explain them.   Answer Question

Customer Success Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Ifbyphone in October 2013.

They wanted to know how much research I did on the company. They were very specific. But I have to say that I am personally less than impressed with the company for a variety of reasons. I passed on the opportunity because I have a good role already and Ifbyphone is an internet company that has been around for 10 years and yet from what I can tell they only do $20M-$25M in yearly sales volume. That is a growth company? After 10 years? Personally not buying the corporate Kool Aid and would be concerned about my own future at that dollar volume of revenue. They have a propaganda machine and no shortage of highly paid executives- but not enough to show for it. Plus, ten years is an eternity in this business climate and who knows about tomorrow?

Interview Questions
    • They wanted to know how much research I did on the company and the competition. They seemed very matter of fact- but not much personality involved on their part and it was all business. Would have been nice if they would have asked a few personal questions to show they actually do care!   View Answer

Product Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Ifbyphone in August 2013.

The interview process involved a total of 6 people across two phone interviews and two on-site interviews. The 1st phone interview was with the HR Mgr. The 2nd phone interview was the same day, a few hours later with another Product Consultant. The 1st on-site interview was three employees and the 2nd on-site was with the VP of Sales and the CEO.

Interview Questions
    • The only question that caught me off guard was, "How much time have you spent on our website?" Not much...I spent more time researching Ifbyphone's social media sites and watching videos about the company. Come prepared and know the website inside and out!   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Know about the company, read case studies about how they work with different customers as it does vary quite a bit.

Interview Questions
    • Just normal sales interview questions and how they would apply to this role.   Answer Question

Account Development Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Ifbyphone.

Contacted by recruiter - passed that round and then in the first face-to-face round, met with two different individuals in the sales side of the business. Went on to the next round was interviewed by VP of Sales. No offer but wouldn't be a company I'd work too long for anyway!