Illinois Tool Works Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated May 2, 2014
28 interviews

2.9

Project Engineer Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Illinois Tool Works in June 2010.

Was offered the position after one interview with HR and one with the hiring manager. I had a good recommendation from a previous colleague who had gone to work at ITW.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions - it was a pretty routine run-of-the-mill interview with appropriate questions for an engineering position.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation but would negotiate if I were doing it again.

Manager Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Illinois Tool Works.

Interview went fine. Shop employees did not pass a simple smile test. Everyone looked away once eye contact as made. It was very strange and sad.

Interview Questions
    • All of the questions were pretty standard for the position; nothing stood out as difficult.   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Schaumburg, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL

I interviewed online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Illinois Tool Works in March 2013.

Call from the HR manager for and initial phone screen. Got invited for a round of interviews. A week late got invited a for a second round. One interviewer was unavailable and would get in touch a few fays later. I check in a week later and no response, two weeks later I called left voicemail with HR. 4 weeks after the second interview round get an email stating they hired an internal candidate

Customer Service Interview

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Illinois Tool Works.

Original interview process was, very good, but then ITW has very little influence on small units

no negotiation process

ELDP - Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Glenview, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glenview, IL

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Illinois Tool Works.

I applied online, received a call 2-3 weeks later and set up a phone interview the same day. Phone interview was 50% going over my resume and 50% making sure I was really interested in the position/company. Obviously the purpose of this program is to train up talent and retain it at ITW, so they're really looking for people serious about the position and who would want to stay at ITW.

About a week after the phone interview I got an email setting up an in-person interview. the actual interview happened in another ~2 weeks. It was a half-day interview; they rotate you between several groups of 1-2 interviewers from various divisions within ITW looking for a best fit. I was asked a lot of the same questions, which was kind of annoying. Have you ever dealt with a teammate who wasn't pulling their weight, how would you motivate them, how do you get to know the people you're supervising, etc etc. more focused on the leadership aspect than on engineering.

Got a call with an offer ~2 weeks after the final interview. Only had a week to accept.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unusual. They really tried to make it a conversation, so one thing I was asked was "would you rather have all information presented to you when given a project, or do your own research?" And then the interviewer and I just talked back and forth about this for about 5 minutes.

I applied for an engineering role but I was asked something like "what's the most effective way to sell a product/idea." stumbled my way through that answer!
        Answer Question
    I negotiated a slight increase in salary/starting bonus, but since they're hiring multiple people for the same program in various locations, I think they're trying to keep salaries roughly the same.

Intern Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Illinois Tool Works.

Was invited to on-campus interview event for summer internship opportunities. Not sure why I was invited, since they weren't looking for graduate students, so the interview was pretty much academic. Still, interviewers were polite and professional, mostly standard behavioral interview questions - assessing teamwork, leadership experience, ability to think outside the box, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Standard stuff - "Tell me about a time you solved a challenging problem," etc.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Very extensive process. Several phone and face to face interviews. Plan to be there 1/2 day each time.

Interview Questions
    • they go thru the resume asking for example of everything on there   Answer Question

Tax Intern Interview

They have two people interview you at once. The guy I interviewed with made me feel very comfortable. They ask mostly standard questions. You should research the company before the interview as they are a bigger company then you may think.

Human Resources Generalist Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Gallatin, TN
    Anonymous Employee in Gallatin, TN

I interviewed online - interviewed at Illinois Tool Works.

as long as you are prepared you will do well

because of pay

Tax Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Des Plaines, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Plaines, IL

I interviewed online - interviewed at Illinois Tool Works in November 2012.

If your prepared you will do just fine

Interview Questions

Worked for Illinois Tool Works? Contribute to the Community!