Illinois Tool Works

Updated Nov 17, 2014

2.8

Engineering Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glenview, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Illinois Tool Works.

Interview with 5 different Engineers from the company lasting about 2 hours. Questions included experience, hobbies, and some basic engineering problems. All said and done was about a two week period waiting for an answer, in which I was required to complete a drug screen and submit infor for credit/background checks. Pretty normal job process - some challenging questions.

Interview Questions
    • Was told to draw an expanded (3D) view of a (2D) drawing.   Answer Question

Emerging Markets Leadership Development Program Interview

On site interview was behavioral and the questions were pretty straight forward. You get 3 interviews, an hour each. Most questions dealt with talking about your resume and situational scenarios.

Tax Interview

Behavior questions, easy questions. Applied online, got phone-call from managers. Usually two interviewers. Prepare using the questions from MBA interview will be helpful. It took me two weeks to hear back from HR department. Then run the drug tests and background check.

Tax Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Illinois Tool Works.

One and done interview. Employees are friendly and enjoyable to be around. Unique Tax experience, depending on area put into. Some people were a little different, but overall enjoyed the company. Now I am just meeting the required word count count count count count count count count count count count count count count count.

Interview Questions

I prefer to live in the Southern U.S.

Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Illinois Tool Works.

Interview went fine. Shop employees did not pass a simple smile test. Everyone looked away once eye contact as made. It was very strange and sad.

Interview Questions
    • All of the questions were pretty standard for the position; nothing stood out as difficult.   Answer Question

Customer Service Interview

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Illinois Tool Works.

Original interview process was, very good, but then ITW has very little influence on small units

no negotiation process

ELDP - Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glenview, IL

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Illinois Tool Works.

I applied online, received a call 2-3 weeks later and set up a phone interview the same day. Phone interview was 50% going over my resume and 50% making sure I was really interested in the position/company. Obviously the purpose of this program is to train up talent and retain it at ITW, so they're really looking for people serious about the position and who would want to stay at ITW.

About a week after the phone interview I got an email setting up an in-person interview. the actual interview happened in another ~2 weeks. It was a half-day interview; they rotate you between several groups of 1-2 interviewers from various divisions within ITW looking for a best fit. I was asked a lot of the same questions, which was kind of annoying. Have you ever dealt with a teammate who wasn't pulling their weight, how would you motivate them, how do you get to know the people you're supervising, etc etc. more focused on the leadership aspect than on engineering.

Got a call with an offer ~2 weeks after the final interview. Only had a week to accept.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unusual. They really tried to make it a conversation, so one thing I was asked was "would you rather have all information presented to you when given a project, or do your own research?" And then the interviewer and I just talked back and forth about this for about 5 minutes.

I applied for an engineering role but I was asked something like "what's the most effective way to sell a product/idea." stumbled my way through that answer!

Answer Question
    I negotiated a slight increase in salary/starting bonus, but since they're hiring multiple people for the same program in various locations, I think they're trying to keep salaries roughly the same.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Illinois Tool Works.

Was invited to on-campus interview event for summer internship opportunities. Not sure why I was invited, since they weren't looking for graduate students, so the interview was pretty much academic. Still, interviewers were polite and professional, mostly standard behavioral interview questions - assessing teamwork, leadership experience, ability to think outside the box, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Standard stuff - "Tell me about a time you solved a challenging problem," etc.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Illinois Tool Works.

Very extensive process. Several phone and face to face interviews. Plan to be there 1/2 day each time.

Interview Questions
    • they go thru the resume asking for example of everything on there   Answer Question

Tax Intern Interview

They have two people interview you at once. The guy I interviewed with made me feel very comfortable. They ask mostly standard questions. You should research the company before the interview as they are a bigger company then you may think.