Illumina Interview Questions

Updated Jun 30, 2015

3.1

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Illumina.

Interview

I applied this position online and got an email from Human Resources Department a few weeks after application. The first interview was a phone interview with the recruiter. And I did not get the second turn.

Technical Support Interview

Interview

Phone interview with the recruiter. Mostly based on the resume. A self intro first. A few questions regarding some details. Was asked if you have questions for them. But most of my questions regarding the details of the job remained unanswered. No follow up.

Interview Questions

• Why you want to apply for this position   1 Answer

Equipment Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Illumina in June 2015.

Interview

Had a brief phone interview with a recruiter that lasted about 20 minutes. Interviewer didn't really ask me behavioral questions, but more about my prior work and projects. Because the interviewer works as a recruiter, he did not ask me any science-based questions. Most of the time was him telling me about the company. He got back to me the next day after the interview and told me to formally apply on their company website. Overall it was a pleasant experience.

Interview Questions

• What do you think about Illumina?
      Tell me about your previous project and your role.

Answer Question

Marketing Programs Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Illumina (San Diego, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

After almost 3 weeks, I was able to be in touch with Illumina's Talent Acquisition team, which went well. For about 3 days, I corresponded with the Talent Acquisition team. They coordinated the process smoothly and responded quickly with the information I needed to get through the next process which was the telephone interview/screening with the hiring manager.

The 30 minute telephone interview with the hiring manager didn't go so well. This could be due to a number of factors on my end and along with the hiring manager. The last time I interviewed for a position was 9 months previous to this interview and I felt I was well prepared for this screening. I won't go into anymore details with what might be an issue in my end and rather will focus on what could have been better with the hiring manager for this position.

I felt the hiring manager failed to even look through my resume or acknowledge she received it due to the hiring manager's actions: 1.) Asked about what my salary requirements were when I previously asked about with Ilumina's Talent Acquisition team. 2.) Not once did the hiring manager ask about any details on my resume but rather asked a very open ended and broad question which he/she then proceeded to fish for details that finally related to the job requirements

The telephone interview was difficult not because of the questions but due to the hiring manager's responses and energy. The hiring manager seemed rushed from the start to finish and rather frustrated when I wasn't producing answers he/she was satisfied with. I was not asked any behavioral questions. I got a rejection email about 2.5 weeks later. I sent out a thank you email to the hiring manager with no response back.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Illumina.

Interview

The initial phone interview was quick and it was a little difficult to express everything in such a short amount of time. The recruiter was very friendly but spoke very quickly. It was a little overwhelming at times to process everything that was relayed over the phone.

Interview Questions

• How many people do you come into contact or keep in contact on a daily basis?   Answer Question
    • What made you decide to apply for a position with Illumina?   Answer Question
    • Which Illumina products have you been working with or used?   Answer Question
    • What compensation amount would you be comfortable accepting this position?   Answer Question

Senior Manager, Talent Acquisition Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Illumina (San Diego, TX) in May 2015.

Interview

I completed a phone interview with the recruiter and she asked basic qualifying questions. We spent about 5 minutes and then she set me up to interview with the Human Resources Department. They are really not a very upfront and honest group of Talent Acquisition Professionals as they mislead me about the salary and they never called back when they said they would. I found the candidate experience horrible.

Interview Questions

• Describe your management style?   1 Answer

Research Associate II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Illumina (San Diego, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

Got a referral and interviewed 2 days after. The interview lasted 2 hours and I met with three separate people. I went through questions about myself and talked about my previous work and how I approached different problems. After the interview my references were checked and I had an offer a week later.

Interview Questions

• What was your favorite class?
      Tell me how you troubleshooted an assay?
      Walk me through an experiment you performed.
      Why do you want to work at Illumina?

Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Illumina in May 2015.

Interview

I had a great time talking with the interviewer. She was a member of the team I would be working on so she was very helpful in answering any questions I might have had. She also

C# Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Illumina (San Diego, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

The company did a good job before the interview; supplied me with directions and a list of people who were going to interview me. The interview process, however, left much to be desired: everything was rushed and I never had enough time to answer questions and make a good impression. They weren't even nice enough to let me know how everything went.

Interview Questions

Interview

Was interviewed over the phone, the hiring manager asked about my experience related to the job requirements. Not much else they were interested in knowing. I think that they might have been looking for someone that was at a higher education level for the position, but this is only speculation. I'd recommend thoroughly reviewing on the companies current projects as much as you can.