Illumina

59 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Engineer Interview

San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Illumina.

Interview Details – Submitted application online. Months went by. Got a call, phone interview with potential supervisor and co-worker.

Interview Question – How would you handle a difficult co-worker.   Answer Question

Process Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Illumina.

Interview Details – Had 3 short interviews, one of them included technical questions about statistics and relatively basic biological concepts.

Interview Question – Why should we not hire you?   Answer Question

Scientist I Interview

La Jolla, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Illumina.

Interview Details – I has a phone interview with the hiring manager who asked a series of "typical" interview questions (e.g. "How do you handle difficult situations, give an example of your leadership skills, etc"). This lasted about 1/2 hour. 3 weeks or so later I was invited to give a talk about my previous work and was interviewed by 5 or so people in the group that I would be working in. The interview process was very positive for me. People asked good questions and were very friendly.

Interview Question – I honestly do not remember any question being difficult or unexpected. The only think that I can think of is how would you handle working with a difficult individual. I feel that the questions were relatively standard.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I asked for more but was denied.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Marketing Director Interview

I applied in-person and interviewed at Illumina.

Interview Details – Huge emphasis on interviewing with multiple people so that you can get to meet the entire team. HR has a take it or leave it attitude to compensation negotiation. Job descriptions are pretty loose and may not reflect the full scope of the job being hired for.

Interview Question – How much travel are you willing to do?   Answer Question

Field Service Engineer Interview

Field Service Engineer

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Illumina in October 2013.

Interview Details – I was first called by a supervisor, ~35 min phone interview, on a Tuesday. It was a very technical interview, it was difficult and I wasn't necessarily prepared for that. I was then contacted by a recruiter, that Friday, who spoke about the company, benefits, and said that I would hear by the middle of the next week no matter what the decision was. Finally, I had an 1 hour phone interview with a Sr HR manager, the following Monday, who asked technical and behavioral questions. He asked a lot of questions that he said afterwards there was no right answer and he didn't expect one. I still haven't heard back (a week later) and I haven't sent an inquiry email yet either.

Interview Questions

• Rank in the order of importance and state why: Administrative/documentation abilities, technical ability, customer management   Answer Question
  • What would you do if you had 3 jobs on the same day of the same importance?
    -How would you prioritize?
      View Answer
  • What's the engineering behind our instruments?   Answer Question

Development Engineer II Interview

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Illumina.

Interview Details – 2 rounds of phone interview. In person interview with 6 people including HR and senior manager, hiring manager and senior engineers

Interview Question – In an FPGA how would you move data bus from one clock domain to another   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Not much to negotiate. HR was very strong headed and threaten to rescind the offer

Customer Support Interview

San Diego, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Illumina in April 2012.

Interview Details – Applied on line and was contacted by HR for a phone interview with hiring manager. I felt I was not sufficiently prepared to answer the questions asked. I would suggest preparing for as many questions with answer ready as possible. I have listed 4 of the questions that I remembered being asked so that others maybe prepared with answers for these at least.

Interview Questions

• 1. How would you tell a customer there is nothing wrong with the machine and it is their sample that is the problem?   View Answer
  • 2. What career advancement do you see in this position? Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question
  • 3. What was the worst and best customer support you have received?   Answer Question
  • 4. Would you be bored with repetitive questions from customers?   Answer Question

Process Engineer Interview

Interviewed at Illumina

Interview Details – Phone Interview - An hour long phone interview. Discussed statistics and some chemistry such as DNA, DNA bonding, etc.

Interview Question – Lots of stat questions like "What is a null hypothesis? What does an ANOVA test do?" etc.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Illumina in May 2013.

Interview Details – I applied through Illumina's career portal. Got called back 2 weeks later and had phone interviews with HR and the hiring manager. Subsequent interviews were held on site with HR, hiring manager and supervisor. The onsite interviews were about 30 minutes per person and conducted separately. HR did an excellent job of explaining the future goals of the company and how each department functioned towards achieving this goal.

Interview Question – Question regarding Illumina cloud apps. It was difficult because I did not know too much about them given it's novelty.   Answer Question

Research Associate I Interview

San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Illumina in April 2010.

Interview Details – Had a phone interview set up with Illumina after Biogen Idec was closing down. HR set up a phone interview time/date. Never called back...

Interview Question – no questions, not even a phone call   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Illumina

Worked for Illumina? Contribute to the Community!

Illumina Videos

Illumina – Why Work for Us?

What we do at Illumina may seem complicated, but our vision is simple. "To advance human health by unlocking the power of the genome." Innovative Technologies: At Illumina, our goal is to apply innovative sequencing… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Illumina interview questions and advice. All 59 interview reviews posted anonymously by Illumina employees and interview candidates.