Illumina Interview Questions

Updated Oct 23, 2014
Updated Oct 23, 2014

3.1

Associate Director Hardware Interview

Courteous interaction: you did not feel that you are being done a favor. Interviewers had a short notice, so they were not as prepared as they would have liked to be. There is enormous talent there, so the discussions even without preparation were great. The discussions gave a good idea about what was involved in the work, what were the goals and challenges.
    Unfortunate part was that the company did not back to me in time to consider them in my decision making. By the time they wanted to have a final interview to make the offer, I was already working at another San Diego company for about a week and a half.

Interview Questions
    • Relatively speaking, it was a little harder, not that the question itself was hard: Why are you leaving your present job / position   View Answer

Scientist Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Illumina.

NextBio group
    Phone interview with recruiter. Professional and friendly. Classic HR questions about how you manage stress, how collaborative you are.
    Phone interview with hiring manager. The manager had very poor phone reception, which was detrimental to the interview. She asked HR-type questions instead of anything scientific or technical: Are you collaborative? Are you a perfectionist?

Interview Questions
    • Which college did you go to? Where is it? Which country?
      So in which country did you grow up?
        View Answer

Engineering Interview

Very friendly people who were willing to teach or answer questions. Interview process lasted about 3 weeks: initial HR screening, on-campus for 2 hours, and then wait until they notified. No second rounds.

Interview Questions
    • Some riddles, thinking questions where they wanted to understand your thought process.   Answer Question
    None

Senior Project Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Illumina.

Applied online and was contacted several weeks later by email for an on phone interview. Took about a week to schedule the phone interview. The interview lasted approx. 25 minutes and covered several technical and personal preference questions. Interview was very strait forward and most of the questions were expected. Interviewer was very responsive and confirmed correct answers to technical questions.

Staff Process Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Illumina in September 2014.

Process was basic and is as follows:
    1) Brief 20 min phone interview on basic technical aspects applying to the job (statistics Q's and basic DNA Q's)
    2) More in depth 1 hour phone interview with, again also entirely technical questions (one question on background/ previous experience, then back to the same type of questions as the first interview, this time requiring more explanation for answers and more in-depth knowledge of DNA and statistics.
    3) Should you complete the above interviews and they still have interest in you, you will be asked to come down to the company site for a half day- with more interviews (group and individual i was told-- did not make it to this point).

Interview Questions
    • As someone else has mentioned here, the question about reasons for an image being 1/2 focused 1/2 non-focused in a microscope... Multiple reasons and explanations were needed. Two or three left the interviewer asking "what else?"   Answer Question

Scientist I Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Illumina.

I was originally emailed, had a phone interview with the hiring manager then was invited in for a full day of interviews and a job talk. I met with each person on the team I'd be working with, and HR. They got back to me the same day that they didn't want me, which was good for future planning, but a little deflating that they made the decision that fast.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked how I would improve a certain enzyme of theirs and how I would evaluate its efficacy.   Answer Question

Lab Assistant III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Illumina.

Phone interview followed by an in person interview. Very professional, friendly and casual. Asked about: background. working history. one difficult situation (and how to solve), team dynamics, where you see yourself in the future. No technical questions. Interviewed with supervisor, manager and team leader.

Senior Process Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Illumina in August 2014.

Hiring process: They are selective. Two rounds of phone interview, 1st with HR recruiter and 2nd with hiring manager. Followed by on site interview (5-6 people), 1:1 interview.

Questions: Stats questions, average, St Deviation, median, mode. Explain average to a 5 year old kid. Explain DNA structure. Other standard behavioral questions.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time, when others thought it was difficult to work with you.   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

I applied online – interviewed at Illumina in August 2014.

Got two phone calls. one from the recruiting mana.ger who was very nice and asked very soft easy questions. One later from the hiring manager asked lots of hard questions, had a pretty rude overall demeaner

Senior Product Development Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Illumina in July 2014.

About three weeks after applying online, I got a 30 minute phone interview. They asked many behavior questions, e.g., why do you want to work here. Also, a couple of basic DNA and statistics questions. One week after the interview, they turned me down.