Illumina

Updated Dec 13, 2014
Updated Dec 13, 2014

3.2

Optical Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Illumina.

First had a phone call where they asked three technical questions: One on DOE, another on the equation relating standard deviation and mean, and another on light spectrum. Then had a half-day interview process split into four different interviews. First interview: I was giving three general topics, had 10 mins to prepare presentation, and then 5 minutes to present. The topic I chose was "Culture of the Company." Second Interview: Technical interview where they asked about my research and work experience. Third Interview: I was given a list of 8 emails and asked to rate the importance of each, who I would talk to to get the tasks done, and how soon I should get each done. Last interview: With a team of 7 other interviewees, we were given a situation in which our plane crashed in the Amazon and we had to come up with a list of supplies and plan of action

Process Development Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Illumina in November 2014.

Quick phone call (no more than 30min). Asked basic questions like why I wanted to work there, what is an ideal team or manager... then basic statistical questions (mean, mode,average, standard deviation) and DNA questions (what is DNA, what form, what bonds,)

Interview Questions
    • How would you go about breaking the bonds between AT and CG   Answer Question

Associate Director Hardware Interview

Courteous interaction: you did not feel that you are being done a favor. Interviewers had a short notice, so they were not as prepared as they would have liked to be. There is enormous talent there, so the discussions even without preparation were great. The discussions gave a good idea about what was involved in the work, what were the goals and challenges.
    Unfortunate part was that the company did not back to me in time to consider them in my decision making. By the time they wanted to have a final interview to make the offer, I was already working at another San Diego company for about a week and a half.

Interview Questions
    • Relatively speaking, it was a little harder, not that the question itself was hard: Why are you leaving your present job / position   View Answer

Product Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Illumina in October 2014.

Applied online -- heard back about 2-4 weeks later for a phone interview. Phone interview lasted 45 minutes and included both behavioral and technical questions. Most questions focused on basic statistics and knowledge of DNA. For example, they asked about what average (mean) was, what standard deviation was, what a student t-test was. Then came the 'explain these to a 5 year old' questions. I was not ready for that. Explaining the concept of a mathematical average to a 5 year old is quite difficult when that question is completely unexpected.

Scientist Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Illumina.

NextBio group
    Phone interview with recruiter. Professional and friendly. Classic HR questions about how you manage stress, how collaborative you are.
    Phone interview with hiring manager. The manager had very poor phone reception, which was detrimental to the interview. She asked HR-type questions instead of anything scientific or technical: Are you collaborative? Are you a perfectionist?

Interview Questions
    • Which college did you go to? Where is it? Which country?
      So in which country did you grow up?

View Answer

Engineering Interview

Very friendly people who were willing to teach or answer questions. Interview process lasted about 3 weeks: initial HR screening, on-campus for 2 hours, and then wait until they notified. No second rounds.

Interview Questions
    • Some riddles, thinking questions where they wanted to understand your thought process.   Answer Question
    None

Senior Project Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Illumina.

Applied online and was contacted several weeks later by email for an on phone interview. Took about a week to schedule the phone interview. The interview lasted approx. 25 minutes and covered several technical and personal preference questions. Interview was very strait forward and most of the questions were expected. Interviewer was very responsive and confirmed correct answers to technical questions.

Staff Process Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Illumina in September 2014.

Process was basic and is as follows:
    1) Brief 20 min phone interview on basic technical aspects applying to the job (statistics Q's and basic DNA Q's)
    2) More in depth 1 hour phone interview with, again also entirely technical questions (one question on background/ previous experience, then back to the same type of questions as the first interview, this time requiring more explanation for answers and more in-depth knowledge of DNA and statistics.
    3) Should you complete the above interviews and they still have interest in you, you will be asked to come down to the company site for a half day- with more interviews (group and individual i was told-- did not make it to this point).

Interview Questions
    • As someone else has mentioned here, the question about reasons for an image being 1/2 focused 1/2 non-focused in a microscope... Multiple reasons and explanations were needed. Two or three left the interviewer asking "what else?"   Answer Question

Scientist I Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Illumina.

I was originally emailed, had a phone interview with the hiring manager then was invited in for a full day of interviews and a job talk. I met with each person on the team I'd be working with, and HR. They got back to me the same day that they didn't want me, which was good for future planning, but a little deflating that they made the decision that fast.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked how I would improve a certain enzyme of theirs and how I would evaluate its efficacy.   Answer Question

Lab Assistant III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Illumina.

Phone interview followed by an in person interview. Very professional, friendly and casual. Asked about: background. working history. one difficult situation (and how to solve), team dynamics, where you see yourself in the future. No technical questions. Interviewed with supervisor, manager and team leader.