Illumina Interview Questions

Updated Apr 22, 2015

3.1

Interview

Was interviewed over the phone, the hiring manager asked about my experience related to the job requirements. Not much else they were interested in knowing. I think that they might have been looking for someone that was at a higher education level for the position, but this is only speculation. I'd recommend thoroughly reviewing on the companies current projects as much as you can.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Illumina.

Interview

The initial phone interview was quick and it was a little difficult to express everything in such a short amount of time. The recruiter was very friendly but spoke very quickly. It was a little overwhelming at times to process everything that was relayed over the phone.

Interview Questions

• How many people do you come into contact or keep in contact on a daily basis?   Answer Question
    • What made you decide to apply for a position with Illumina?   Answer Question
    • Which Illumina products have you been working with or used?   Answer Question
    • What compensation amount would you be comfortable accepting this position?   Answer Question

Accessioner Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Illumina.

Interview

I went through a preliminary interview and followed-up (as suggested) a few days after. I called and didn't get a response (which, happens.. I suppose). However, even after leaving a voice-mail, I never got a response--no e-mail, call back, nothing. Why ask me to call if to check on my application status by a certain day, if no one is going to reply?

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Illumina.

Interview

I applied online. Then I received an email to have a phone interview. A lady called without introducing herself and stated asking very detailed questions. They did not mention that the interview would be from very detailed and specific questions. She just would not give up, if I could not answer a question.

Interview Questions

• What programming languages do use? rate them.   Answer Question
    • how do you do variant analysis?   Answer Question
    • what is local alignment? what is global alignment? what are their differences? name the algorithms.   Answer Question
    • what is p-value? explain how you compute p-value?   Answer Question

Process Engineer Interview

Interview

Initial 20 minutes phone screen. Asked many questions listed by others. Asked behavioral questions such as ideal workplace, ideal manager, ideal work environment. Asked basic statistical questions about average, standard deviation. Asked about DNA structure, bonding, base pairs. Asked about my current position, why I'm interested in the company, why I applied for the role.

Interview Questions

• How would you break in the bonding of base pairs in DNA?   Answer Question

IAspire Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Illumina (San Diego, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

I submitted an online application, which was followed a couple weeks later by a half-hour phonescreen, which was followed a couple weeks later by a four-hour iAspire interview event on the Illumina campus. The event involved group problem solving activities, a formal interview, and a shotgun presentation on one of three provided prompts. Overall, it was a fairly extensive interview process for an internship, but all skills tested were pretty much tasks any candidate should be expected to be able to perform.

Interview Questions

• What was one time you had a creative solution to a problem?   Answer Question

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Illumina (San Diego, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Very interesting four hour assessment involving group activities, campus tour, networking session and a one on one technical interview. I really felt like they tried to understand my personality. I had a lot of fun, actually. It was a very well organized event that left me impressed with the company.

Staff Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Illumina in March 2015.

Interview

Applied online, contacted by HR person after about 10 days setting up a phone screening with one hiring manager. The phone interview was going over all the previous projects listed on my resume in details.

Interview Questions

• Only technical questions regarding the concepts and execution of every projects listed on resume   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Illumina in March 2015.

Interview

First selected for a phone screen.
    during the phone screen was asked some atypical questions. the onsite interview consisted of group challenges and uncommon activities that were quite fun. They replied within a week after the on-site interview letting me know that I had been rejected

Interview Questions

• in the phone screening: "if the time is 3:15 and you are looking at an analog clock, what hour is the big hand from the small hand?"   1 Answer

Scientist I Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Illumina.

Interview

I submitted the application through the company website, and I was contacted via email at the same day by a HR person and scheduled a phone chat immediately. The HR person was very friendly and asked me some regular behavior questions and scheduled another phone interview with a research manager for the research part. The skill questions were totally not related to the job description, and I was asked for many detail experiments and theories.

Interview Questions

• why do you choose illumina? Do you prefer teamwork or work independently? customer experience? How do you mentor your students? Leadship?   Answer Question