Illumina

4.0

3 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Product Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Illumina in October 2014.

Applied online -- heard back about 2-4 weeks later for a phone interview. Phone interview lasted 45 minutes and included both behavioral and technical questions. Most questions focused on basic statistics and knowledge of DNA. For example, they asked about what average (mean) was, what standard deviation was, what a student t-test was. Then came the 'explain these to a 5 year old' questions. I was not ready for that. Explaining the concept of a mathematical average to a 5 year old is quite difficult when that question is completely unexpected.

Other Interview Reviews for Illumina

Product Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Illumina in May 2012.

I applied online and heard back after 3 months. I had a phone interview scheduled for the next day. I was told I would be speaking with the HR manager but I actually spoke to the hiring manager. I was asked about my experience, why it was relevant. I was quizzed on basis statistics (explain mean, median, mode, sd, variance, distributions); basic biology (bonds in DNA, basic structure and properties of DNA), troubleshooting (microscopy, applications), windows OS questions, quality assurance questions.

The interview was quite difficult. I was not quizzed on anything that was their job profile. I got a call back within a week that they were taking candidates with more industrial experience forward.

Interview Questions
    • If a program executed in seconds, what would you do to make it execute in millisecond.   Answer Question

Product Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Illumina.

Got a call from HR for a phone interview opportunity. Scheduled for about a week later.

A Hiring Manager called and asked some questions about previous experiences listed on the resume. Then began asking odd/basic level questions most likely to determine a fundamental understanding of the qualifications listed on resume; these questions were not very indicative of technical ability though and were very obviously picked or prepared from a list by HR.

Interview Questions
    • How would you explain what an average is to a 5 year old without using mathematical terminology?   Answer Question