Illumina

Average Difficulty
3 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Technical Applications Scientist

I applied online - interviewed at Illumina in May 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online. Got an email from HR after about 3 weeks to schedule a phone interview. Had about a 1/2 hour phone interview with HR, mostly covering general qualifications and company hiring and training procedures. Was told that they will determine if I get an interview with the hiring manager in a couple of weeks.

Interview Question – no difficult or unexpected questions   Answer Question

San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Illumina in August 2011.

Interview Details – I had a phone and two personal interviews. Most of all, they were looking for an excited person that fits in the team. The second interview was very hard with role-play and what would you do when and how. Also what expertise can you bring to the table. I was not sure if they liked my answers, but apparently I did good otherwise they would not have given me an offer. The people were VERY nice.

Interview Question – What would you do if a costumer calls and did everything like the protocol said and wants his money back?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate.

San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Illumina in July 2011.

Interview Details – Had an initial phone interview with HR that was pretty brief.

A few days later there was a phone interview with the manager of the department that included some technical questions and a role play of a customer service situation.

Lastly, there was a half day interview at the company that included 30 minute interviews with the head of the department, managers, and one person currently in the role.

A week later I received a call from the HR person thanking me for my time but that they chose another candidate for the position.

Overall, it was a pretty thorough process. They were good at explaining the role and asking questions very focused on the job in particular.

Interview Question – How would you go about solving a customer's problem?   Answer Question

Worked for Illumina? Contribute to the Community!