Imagination Technologies Interview Questions

Updated Aug 27, 2014

3.6

Applications Specialist Hardware Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kings Langley, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Imagination Technologies in January 2012.

Phone interview. Was asked about the company, their products and customers and projects I have done and any placements I had done.

Made a presentation of a project I had done.

Was sent questions about the project in my presentation, about digital electronics and some customer related questions.

Face-to-face interview with a manager and another employee. Was asked about answers I gave to the questions they sent, then grilled about more technical stuff to do with graphics. The interview was all technical!!

Interview Questions
    • How many points are there on the earth where you could travel one mile south, then one mile east, then one mile north and end up in the same spot you started?   View Answer

Test Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Imagination Technologies in July 2012.

I had applied for the role of Test Engineer in Imagination through a recruiter. It involved a preliminary C test to assess my skills. The test was very tricky. The set had total of 30 questions. The worst part being that it had allocated fixed 3 minutes per question with no chance to review it back just in case you finish the test before hand. I think the questions were taken direct from some aptitude test papers. So, solve a couple of online test papers to assist you.

I rate this as very difficult as the assessment is an absolute mismatch for the role of Test Engineer. Ironically, when the job specification says - Proficiency in C would be desired not mandatory.
    I have not yet received the result but I am sure I have not cleared it.

Interview Questions
    • Nature of questions was like - find error in code, fill in the blanks with the right statement, what is the output of the code, some questions on stdlib functions - stderr, strchr, one particular pbm on 3 dimensional array, ANSI C definition of - macro, string, #undef and lots of pointer examples   Answer Question

Leading Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kings Langley, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Imagination Technologies in September 2011.

Phone screen included questions on how to implement floating point arithmetic, clock-domain crossing, ASIC design workflow. I thought I failed, but got called back for an in-person interview. At the in-person interview, I was quizzed on FIFO block diagrams, power saving modes, clock-domain crossing, VHDL code mistakes, then Python syntax and shallow copy problems. Overall quite intimidating and again I thought I didn't do that great.

This was one of the few in-person interviews where I really felt that I was still being intensely interviewed, instead of either a casual dialogue or the company taking the opportunity to show you their facility, great corporate culture, and try to recruit you to join their company. At ImgTec it was more like a pressure cooker, and then 'let's walk through the desk area' and 'here's the door'. Definitely didn't get that warm feeling that they wanted me or thought I'd be a good fit.

Interview Questions
    • Explain how you would multiply together two floating point numbers. How many bits do you need to hold the result and what error conditions might occur?   Answer Question
    Was able to negotiate the salary up by 3k from 40k to 43k, primarily due to the limited data available on GlassDoor. All/most reviews stated that the payscale at IMG was below market conditions. Employment contract included a 2-month notice period which I unsuccessfully tried to get decreased to 1 month.

We're Committed to Protecting Our Community From Fraudulent Submissions That Might Affect Our Ratings and Reviews Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Makati City (Philippines)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Makati City (Philippines)

I applied through college or university. The process took 12 months - interviewed at Imagination Technologies in September 2008.

We review and approve every post before it appears on our site, Aggressive or discriminatory language
    Trade secrets or information protected by employer contracts Rants, venting, or obscenities
    Personal insults or defamatory attacks (by name, title, or association)Please read our Community Guidelines for more information about our review criteria.

Interview Questions
    • Please read our Community Guidelines for more information about our review criteria.   View Answer
    Aggressive or discriminatory language
    Trade secrets or information protected by employer contracts
    Content not relevant or helpful to our community.

Graduate Hardware Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kings Langley, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Imagination Technologies in June 2012.

[1] Imgtec had very good working relationship with my university. No 3rd party agency required, direct application to company made during Easter break.

[2] HR came back to me for a phone interview with the hiring manager.

[3] Phone Interview went well and was called in for a f2f interview.

[4] F2F interview started off with my presentation and then was asked 2 technical question followed by some technical details regarding the job role. It went OK for me.

[5] HR interview was held over the phone and was pretty ok.

[6] Got an offer within the next few days and have gladly accepted it.

Interview Questions
    • How many 4x4 bit multipliers are required for 8x8 bit binary multiplication?   View Answer
    • Why DFT figure is never 100% ?   View Answer
    • What affects gate-to-gate delay in state-of-the-art VLSI circuits?   View Answer
    • Describe some RTL design techniques for low power?   View Answer
    N/A

Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kings Langley, England (UK)

interviewed at Imagination Technologies in March 2010.

Interviewed in Kings Langley, East of England, England (United Kingdom) (Jun 2012 - took a day)

[2] HR came back to me for a phone interview with the hiring manager.

[3] Phone Interview went well and was called in for a f2f interview.

[5] HR interview was held over the phone and was pretty ok.

[6] Got an offer within the next few days and have gladly accepted it.

Graduate Hardware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kings Langley, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Imagination Technologies in December 2013.

1. CV uploaded and sent through their website.
    2. Telephone interview which was non-technical (They basically want to know that you are interested in the job and have some knowledge about the company & role), asked about final year project and general questions.
    3. 1.5hrs technical interview followed by 1hr HR interview

Both interview were tough but the interviewers were very relaxed and wellcoming which made it easier.

Basic Digital Question (Timing, Digital Design, Peripherals)

Interview Questions
    No negotiation needed, they offered what I asked for!

Graduate Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 7+ weeks - interviewed at Imagination Technologies.

At the very beginning, I was contacted by an international recruiting agency. They asked me if I was interested in job opportunities in the UK and some very simple technical questions concerning my experience. Then I was told to take an online assessment test on the C language. After four days the recruiter contacted me saying they wanted to do a phone interview. It was quite straightforward, questions about caches, virtual memory, GPU architecture. After approximately one week I received another call for an HR interview in which my motivation was tested. Questions like why would you like to work here, what are your weaknesses,.. Then, after approximately two weeks I was contacted for a face-to-face interview. I went to the Head Quarters, got everything payed by them. The f2f interview was very tough but nice. I had 4 steps, 3 technical with 3 different people and 1 with HR. The questions were to reverse a linked list in C, something related to the Linux filesystem, and several pieces of code in which I had to identify warning and errors.
    Then I waited for approximately 3 weeks and, finally, I was made an offer.

Interview Questions
    You can negotiate, I did it and went well.

Digital Design Leader Interview

Very technical interview, even if the position was for technical management. Three hours of technical questions on digital design, involving fifo architecture, fsm design, combinatorial logic design, hdl questions, asynchronous fifos sizing, and many others.
    It is advisable to refresh your memory on digital design technics, at HDL and gate level.
    A good read at Hennessy & Patterson is a good start.

Interview Questions
    • How to synchronize a signal crossing two clocks derived from the same PLL or same Oscillator.   View Answer

Graduate Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Wellington (New Zealand)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wellington (New Zealand)

I applied online - interviewed at Imagination Technologies.

A company standard online C test, even for an android developer position.
    Followed by a at least three hours long interview, including an 1 on N interview, technical tests (coding, database).
    Lastly, an additional interview with the HR in the UK. I didn't have this when I interviewed, so don't know what they ask.

Interview Questions
    Salary is somewhat negotiable. Company standard benefit really good, no need to negotiate.

Worked for Imagination Technologies? Contribute to the Community!