Imagination Technologies Interview Questions

Updated Oct 29, 2014

3.6

Leading Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kings Langley, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Imagination Technologies in September 2011.

Phone screen included questions on how to implement floating point arithmetic, clock-domain crossing, ASIC design workflow. I thought I failed, but got called back for an in-person interview. At the in-person interview, I was quizzed on FIFO block diagrams, power saving modes, clock-domain crossing, VHDL code mistakes, then Python syntax and shallow copy problems. Overall quite intimidating and again I thought I didn't do that great.

This was one of the few in-person interviews where I really felt that I was still being intensely interviewed, instead of either a casual dialogue or the company taking the opportunity to show you their facility, great corporate culture, and try to recruit you to join their company. At ImgTec it was more like a pressure cooker, and then 'let's walk through the desk area' and 'here's the door'. Definitely didn't get that warm feeling that they wanted me or thought I'd be a good fit.

Interview Questions
    • Explain how you would multiply together two floating point numbers. How many bits do you need to hold the result and what error conditions might occur?   Answer Question
    Was able to negotiate the salary up by 3k from 40k to 43k, primarily due to the limited data available on GlassDoor. All/most reviews stated that the payscale at IMG was below market conditions. Employment contract included a 2-month notice period which I unsuccessfully tried to get decreased to 1 month.

Test Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Imagination Technologies in July 2012.

I had applied for the role of Test Engineer in Imagination through a recruiter. It involved a preliminary C test to assess my skills. The test was very tricky. The set had total of 30 questions. The worst part being that it had allocated fixed 3 minutes per question with no chance to review it back just in case you finish the test before hand. I think the questions were taken direct from some aptitude test papers. So, solve a couple of online test papers to assist you.

I rate this as very difficult as the assessment is an absolute mismatch for the role of Test Engineer. Ironically, when the job specification says - Proficiency in C would be desired not mandatory.
    I have not yet received the result but I am sure I have not cleared it.

Interview Questions
    • Nature of questions was like - find error in code, fill in the blanks with the right statement, what is the output of the code, some questions on stdlib functions - stderr, strchr, one particular pbm on 3 dimensional array, ANSI C definition of - macro, string, #undef and lots of pointer examples   Answer Question

Applications Specialist Hardware Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kings Langley, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Imagination Technologies in January 2012.

Phone interview. Was asked about the company, their products and customers and projects I have done and any placements I had done.

Made a presentation of a project I had done.

Was sent questions about the project in my presentation, about digital electronics and some customer related questions.

Face-to-face interview with a manager and another employee. Was asked about answers I gave to the questions they sent, then grilled about more technical stuff to do with graphics. The interview was all technical!!

Interview Questions
    • How many points are there on the earth where you could travel one mile south, then one mile east, then one mile north and end up in the same spot you started?   View Answer

Video Software Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kings Langley, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Imagination Technologies in September 2013.

I was initially contacted by a recruitment agency, who after an initial talk sent me a set of online tests which I passed, I had a phone interview afterwards with the leader which I also passed, and a few days later I went to their offices for the final interview. I thought it was a very interesting place, the interviewers were extremely knowledgeable.

Interview Questions
    • Went really deep on a discussion of how to store state of a chess board, adding technical requirements along the way   Answer Question

Principal Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kings Langley, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Imagination Technologies in May 2012.

Telephone Interview, Face-to-face for technical, followed by HR interview. Depending upon whether you're going for hardware or software positions in some cases you've to do online tests. Questions will range from computer architecture to Digital Systems Design, Verification to software based. This is assuming you're applying for a technical engineer role.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing specific, expect to be quizzed on technical ground well.   Answer Question
    Good.

Hardware Design Engineer (Summer Placement) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kings Langley, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Imagination Technologies in April 2014.

Applied online via their website. After around two weeks they emailed me and arranged a phone interview which comprised of questions such as why did you choose Imagination, what have you studied at university, a little bit about MIPS architecture and questions regarding pipelining, interrupts and a linked-lists in C.

A few days after they arranged a Face-to-Face interview with me at their HQ. This comprised of more difficult questions, particularly those at the low-level, things like designing counters in logic, creating a NAND only XOR etc. Just make sure you can do a little Boolean algebra.

They're not looking for people who can answer every question perfectly, they're looking for those who think about it and make an attempt regardless rather than those who just say "I can't do it" or "I don't know how".

Interview Questions
    • Given some binary sequence implement it in logic and then minify it using Boolean algebra/ Karnaugh maps etc   View Answer
    Salary was specified in the interview. It's fixed for internships.

Embedded Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Imagination Technologies.

Online Application- CV and 2 questions (Why the company and why you)
    Telephonic Interview- Pretty technical. All basics about programming language. No questions about the company.

Graduate Design Engineer Interview

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at Imagination Technologies.

Contacted by a recruitment agency that referred my details to Imagination. All communication from there on was through the agency, who would seem to relay my messages to the company in question. I was given a days notice for the telephone interview wherein they wanted to know my knowledge about the company with a technical follow-up, ending with questions about my CV. The technical part requires you to know about basic digital logic, some design problems, computer architechure and a unique design question.

Interview Questions
    • A couple of the computer architecture questions threw me off.   Answer Question

Graduate Hardware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kings Langley, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Imagination Technologies in December 2013.

1. CV uploaded and sent through their website.
    2. Telephone interview which was non-technical (They basically want to know that you are interested in the job and have some knowledge about the company & role), asked about final year project and general questions.
    3. 1.5hrs technical interview followed by 1hr HR interview

Both interview were tough but the interviewers were very relaxed and wellcoming which made it easier.

Basic Digital Question (Timing, Digital Design, Peripherals)

Interview Questions
    No negotiation needed, they offered what I asked for!

Summer Internship - Software Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kings Langley, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Imagination Technologies in January 2014.

After applying in late December and completing an online C test I heard back from them within a month to arrange the interview. Along with the date of the interview they also informed me they would pay any expenses for travel etc. and promptly did upon arrival at reception. The whole interview took about an hour and 45 minutes, and comprised of two sections. The first was technical and was taken by 3 people. During this time they asked about university subjects and experiences as well as what I could bring to the table. They asked about experience with C and some detail on previous work before giving me a simple C question involving references to a memory location which using bitwise operations I was required to alter a specific bit in. This part of the interview took the majority of the time.
    The second part of the interview was with a very friendly man from HR, and involved many of the expected interview questions. What are your job interests, why do you want to work for this company etc.

Interview Questions
    • Asked about specifics on projects completed years ago, which sadly, I could remember very little about.   Answer Question