Imagination Technologies

53 candidate interviews

Leading Design Engineer Interview

Leading Design Engineer
Kings Langley, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Imagination Technologies in September 2011.

Interview Details – Phone screen included questions on how to implement floating point arithmetic, clock-domain crossing, ASIC design workflow. I thought I failed, but got called back for an in-person interview. At the in-person interview, I was quizzed on FIFO block diagrams, power saving modes, clock-domain crossing, VHDL code mistakes, then Python syntax and shallow copy problems. Overall quite intimidating and again I thought I didn't do that great.

This was one of the few in-person interviews where I really felt that I was still being intensely interviewed, instead of either a casual dialogue or the company taking the opportunity to show you their facility, great corporate culture, and try to recruit you to join their company. At ImgTec it was more like a pressure cooker, and then 'let's walk through the desk area' and 'here's the door'. Definitely didn't get that warm feeling that they wanted me or thought I'd be a good fit.

Interview Question – Explain how you would multiply together two floating point numbers. How many bits do you need to hold the result and what error conditions might occur?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Was able to negotiate the salary up by 3k from 40k to 43k, primarily due to the limited data available on GlassDoor. All/most reviews stated that the payscale at IMG was below market conditions. Employment contract included a 2-month notice period which I unsuccessfully tried to get decreased to 1 month.

Test Engineer Interview

Test Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Imagination Technologies in July 2012.

Interview Details – I had applied for the role of Test Engineer in Imagination through a recruiter. It involved a preliminary C test to assess my skills. The test was very tricky. The set had total of 30 questions. The worst part being that it had allocated fixed 3 minutes per question with no chance to review it back just in case you finish the test before hand. I think the questions were taken direct from some aptitude test papers. So, solve a couple of online test papers to assist you.

I rate this as very difficult as the assessment is an absolute mismatch for the role of Test Engineer. Ironically, when the job specification says - Proficiency in C would be desired not mandatory.
I have not yet received the result but I am sure I have not cleared it.

Interview Question – Nature of questions was like - find error in code, fill in the blanks with the right statement, what is the output of the code, some questions on stdlib functions - stderr, strchr, one particular pbm on 3 dimensional array, ANSI C definition of - macro, string, #undef and lots of pointer examples   Answer Question

Applications Specialist Hardware Interview

Applications Specialist Hardware
Kings Langley, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Imagination Technologies in January 2012.

Interview Details – Phone interview. Was asked about the company, their products and customers and projects I have done and any placements I had done.

Made a presentation of a project I had done.

Was sent questions about the project in my presentation, about digital electronics and some customer related questions.

Face-to-face interview with a manager and another employee. Was asked about answers I gave to the questions they sent, then grilled about more technical stuff to do with graphics. The interview was all technical!!

Interview Question – How many points are there on the earth where you could travel one mile south, then one mile east, then one mile north and end up in the same spot you started?   View Answer

Very Difficult Interview

We're Committed to Protecting Our Community From Fraudulent Submissions That Might Affect Our Ratings and Reviews Interview

Makati City (Philippines)

I applied through college or university and the process took 12 months - interviewed at Imagination Technologies in September 2008.

Interview Details – We review and approve every post before it appears on our site, Aggressive or discriminatory language
Trade secrets or information protected by employer contracts Rants, venting, or obscenities
Personal insults or defamatory attacks (by name, title, or association)Please read our Community Guidelines for more information about our review criteria.

Interview Question – Please read our Community Guidelines for more information about our review criteria.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Aggressive or discriminatory language
Trade secrets or information protected by employer contracts
Content not relevant or helpful to our community.

Graduate Communication Engineer Interview

Graduate Communication Engineer
Chepstow, Wales (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Imagination Technologies in February 2012.

Interview Details – I applied and 2 ago I got an invitation for f2f interview. The interview had many general questions like "Why you want to work with us" etc. The technical part was quite intense with questions related to DSP: poles zero diagram and analysis from Analogue to Digital.

Interview Question – The C test what quite tricky   Answer Question

Design Engineer Interview

Design Engineer
Bristol, England (UK)

I applied online - interviewed at Imagination Technologies in July 2012.

Interview Details – I had an online hardware test which had questions based on transistors and Basic digital logic. Then had a phone interview and it was all technical questions with no competency questions asked. Afterwards, I did the face-to-face interview and carried out all the tasks with described their operations as well as answeering all the follow up questions.

Interview Question – Design an XOR function using only NAND gates.   Answer Question

Video Codec Software Engineer Interview

Video Codec Software Engineer
Mumbai (India)

The process took a day - interviewed at Imagination Technologies.

Interview Details – The company was good.. The hiring process was comfortable. The interview if one is good with basics and the project is quite comfortable.. Else one can expect all worse things to happen.. Of course if cannot answer they do guide us to the answers.... The interviewers are friendly and dont depress you but you realise that you are nowhere in the league soon..

Interview Question – The question of where variables are stored when passed as arguments of a function, what is stack frame, basics of data structures, tricky questions in c like in what happens if printf is called without a character string with a null character, etc..   Answer Question

Design Engineer Interview

Design Engineer
Kings Langley, England (UK)

I interviewed at Imagination Technologies in March 2010.

Interview Details – Interviewed in Kings Langley, East of England, England (United Kingdom) (Jun 2012 - took a day)
[1] Imgtec had very good working relationship with my university. No 3rd party agency required, direct application to company made during Easter break.

[2] HR came back to me for a phone interview with the hiring manager.

[3] Phone Interview went well and was called in for a f2f interview.

[4] F2F interview started off with my presentation and then was asked 2 technical question followed by some technical details regarding the job role. It went OK for me.

[5] HR interview was held over the phone and was pretty ok.

[6] Got an offer within the next few days and have gladly accepted it.

Interview Question – wat is the easiest module u've done?   Answer Question

Graphics Driver Design Engineer Interview

Graphics Driver Design Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Imagination Technologies.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a recruiting agency about my application on their website.

Next, I had a phone interview with the recruiter of that agency followed by another phone interview with the recruiter at ImgTec, in which he detailed the position and my responsibilities.

Afterwards, I had to take a C test. It was slightly difficult, lots of trick questions.

In the final step, I had a face to face interview with two engineers at ImgTec HQ. The interview consisted of a questions related to 5 topics:
- OpenGL Specification
- 3D Graphics concepts
- 3D Math
- How computers work (Operating systems, hardware, etc..)
- C programming language.

I wasn't extended an offer since I was only familiar with OpenGL from a programmers perspective and they required someone who knew the specification in great detail as well.

Interview Question – There was question in the C test about jumps and goto's with different bracket levels. I can't recall the exact question, but it had to do with different scope levels and jumping between them. In those scope levels different variable were initialized and then question was what the output of a given variable would be.   Answer Question

Digital ASIC Design Engineer Interview

Digital ASIC Design Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Imagination Technologies.

Interview Details – The Hiring process consisted (for me) on three steps.
First step: the hiring manager called me for a generic phone interview. He asked me something about myself, about my past and current jobs and responsibilities.
The second step was a technical interview regarding VHDL. It was simple questions, like "How can you do a moltiplication with only adders (and things like that).
The last step was by skype.They asked me really technical questions (How can you realize a NAND port, etc.)

Interview Question – The skype interview was too technical and to ASIC-oriented. I work for 4 years. At the end of University I could answer it, now I forgot a lot...   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Imagination Technologies

Worked for Imagination Technologies? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Imagination Technologies interview questions and advice. All 53 interview reviews posted anonymously by Imagination Technologies employees and interview candidates.