Imagination Technologies

53 candidate interviews

Digital Design Engineer Interview

Digital Design Engineer
Kings Langley, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Imagination Technologies.

Interview Details – 1h Telephone - motivations and CV review
1h On-site interview

Interview Question – Digital design questions, basically related to power reduction   Answer Question

Design Engineer Interview

3rd - Director and HR interview

Graduate Design Engineer Interview

Graduate Design Engineer

Interviewed at Imagination Technologies

Interview Details – First an online application, then a phone conversation, then in person. All were relaxed and the phone conversation and in person interviews were very much a two way process.

Interview Question – Make sure you know your basics.   Answer Question

Graduate Hardware Design Engineer (MIPS Team) Interview

Graduate Hardware Design Engineer (MIPS Team)
London, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Imagination Technologies.

Interview Details – 3 rounds of interviews:
A phone interview with an engineer, followed by a skype interview with the same person.
I was then invited to an on-site interview at London, Kings Langley (travel expenses reimbursed) where I met the person in charge of the MIPS team.
All interviews had technical questions, mostly on digital design and CPUs.

Interview Question – - Phone interview: Firstly, general questions on CV, projects, etc... Then, questions about logic and digital design: Setup/Hold time, pipelining, CPU, MIPS, ...
- Skype interview: Questions on different possible implementations of FIFOs, how to design a circuit generating a certain sequence of 4-bit numbers (the sequence was showed through skype)
- On site interview: Review of CV, design questions: design a system capable of detecting wether a disk is rotating clockwise or anti-clockwise. Questions about synchronizers. ...
  Answer Question

Graduate RTL Hardware Design Engineer Interview

Graduate RTL Hardware Design Engineer
Kings Langley, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Imagination Technologies in April 2013.

Interview Details – online application, telephone interview

Interview Question – question about architectures, questions based on cv, why you want to work for imagination.???   Answer Question

Senior Digital Designer Engineer Interview

Senior Digital Designer Engineer
Watford, East of England, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Imagination Technologies.

Interview Details – I had a technical job interview on site, Watford, for a Sr Digital Designer permanent role.
Just took a flight and I was there, full of expectations because I knew that was very interesting.
The interview well passed (even if the principal engineer spent all the time on its notebook, while another lead engineer was interviewing me), they wanted even to hire me (with a bad/inappropriate salary for my experience!), but some of the other Engineers, I met while I was waiting for my interview, were completely out of head, absolutely unacceptable even embarrassing.
Unacceptable to work in that kind of environment.
It seems some of them doesn't really like working with foreign Engineer.
Strange thing is that the HR doesn't know anything about those employees behavioural (or doesn't care?).

Interview Question – For my experience, the questions were easy   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Not at all the right place to work, if you like having around good people only !
Anyway, bad salary.

Test Engineer Interview

Test Engineer

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Imagination Technologies in February 2009.

Interview Details – The interview is quite casual. Some technical questions. The guy interviewed me was very friendly.

There is nothing heard from them for like a month after the interview. Somehow when I asked I was told that I have made into the final few candidates for manager to decide. And then it was another a month or so waiting, after which eventually I was notified (again after I asked) no been accepted.

Interview Question – Do you know how MP3 files are encoded?   View Answer

Soft Engineer Interview

Soft Engineer
Kings Langley, England (UK)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Imagination Technologies in December 2010.

Interview Details – The overall experience was positive and I learnt a lot of things about the work done at the company. It was my first interview and this experience was insightful.

Interview Question – What is #pragma   Answer Question

Driver Development Interview

Driver Development
Kings Langley, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Imagination Technologies in January 2010.

Interview Details – I applied online and got an email from HR about 1 week later asking if I'd be interested in interviewing for a slightly different position.

I was asked to take an online C programming test with 30 questions and a 2-minute limit for each one. Questions were all multiple choice and included things like:
  * What is the output of [short code snippet]
  * What does [obscure C library function] do
  * What is the difference between [type] and [type]
For some of the questions I needed to quickly google the answer - making the test seem slightly pointless.

After about a week the HR person emailed me to arrange a phone interview. I was interviewed by the manager of the team I'd be working on. The interview lasted about 20 minutes and seemed more like a friendly chat than an interview. Questions included:
  * Tell me about yourself
  * Tell me about the last project you worked on

He gave me a couple of minutes at the end of the interview to ask him questions, and seemed impressed that I had any at all (he said most candidates didn't).

We arranged a 1:1 interview for about 3 weeks later where I visited the HQ in Kings Langley. The receptionist asked for travel receipts when I arrived, and sent me a cheque later to reimburse me.

The interview was split into two sections - the first was a technical interview with the person I'd spoken to on the phone. The questions were typical algorithm questions you can find on any interview site. Some examples:
  * Write some C code to reverse a linked list
  * Write some C code to reverse the bits in a 32-bit unsigned integer
We also talked a little bit about my past projects and university course. This lasted for about 2 hours before the interviewer got his boss to come in to talk to me some more.

The second part of the interview was with the HR person. She gave me a powerpoint presentation with general information about the company, their products, and the benefits they give to employees. She also asked me a couple of fluffy questions like "Describe your strengths and weaknesses" and "Give an example of a problem you've faced and how you overcame it". I got the impression that nobody really paid attention to these answers though, as the first interviewer said he was going to make me an offer straight after this bit, before he'd even read my answers to the HR woman.

The offer was:
  * £24k, with salary reviews every 6 months (I'm an MEng graduate)
  * 20 days holiday, with 1 more for each year you work there up to 25.
  * £1k relocation bonus, that has to be paid back in full if you quit in the first 3 years.

Interview Question – The most unexpected question was "What modules at university did you dislike the most?"   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Kings Langley isn't the most exciting place in the world, I couldn't see myself being able to spend more than a couple of years there.

Also the salary and holiday was pretty low compared to other offers.

Developer Interview

Developer
Leeds, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Imagination Technologies in May 2010.

Interview Details – It all started with an e-mail by the HR manager asking to arrange a phone interview. The phone interviewer started asking me technical questions such as threads, static global variables, compiler optimisation and fundamental things about computer science and low level applications in general. That was followed by several personal questions. Not the general ones, they were specifically designed according to my CV and study background.

I got the feeling that I did not do very good, however, I received another e-mail from one member of the technical staff to invite me to an on-site interview. They were also interested in seeing some code of one of my old projects.

The interviewers were a group of 3. At first they asked me some personal questions and we had a very nice chat, with plenty of humor. Then there was a 3-page test that had to do with C. Questions started from the basic ones (pointers, pointer math, endiannes) and the last one was more advanced. Specifically, it was a small program and there were questions that had to with real time issues and others like "what would happen if such an incident occurred".

After that, I was given a tour of the building and I had the chance to meet employees and see how they work and what they do.

The last part was a small presentation of some code of mine, which lasted around 30 minutes.

During the whole process the atmosphere was very friendly and I really enjoyed talking to my interviewers. The test was also very interesting. I did not feel nervous at all, instead I was enjoying the conversation very much. The best part was the tour around their office.

All in all, the interview with them was a great experience that helped me a lot to improve myself and succeed in my second interview, that resulted in a job offer.

Interview Question – If you went back in time, carrying the knowledge gained from your current studies, would you do things differently?   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Imagination Technologies

Worked for Imagination Technologies? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Imagination Technologies interview questions and advice. All 53 interview reviews posted anonymously by Imagination Technologies employees and interview candidates.