Imagination Technologies Interview Questions

Updated Aug 23, 2015

3.5

Graduate Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wellington (New Zealand)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Imagination Technologies (Wellington (New Zealand)).

Interview

A company standard online C test, even for an android developer position. Followed by a at least three hours long interview, including an 1 on N interview, technical tests (coding, database). Lastly, an additional interview with the HR in the UK. I didn't have this when I interviewed, so don't know what they ask.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Salary is somewhat negotiable. Company standard benefit really good, no need to negotiate.

Software Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kings Langley, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Imagination Technologies (Kings Langley, England (UK)) in May 2014.

Interview

1. Phone screening - easy and pleasant, took maybe 15 minutes? 2. C++ online test - fairly difficult and unnecessarily detailed (nobody cares about many of the details asked, they don't matter in real life situations) 3. In person interview - fairly easy and very pleasant. They are really great folks! All travel covered by the company.

Interview Questions

• Several questions about c++ coding - 5 minutes for each question max, about an hour in total. E.g: 1. piece of code - show what is wrong and why? 2. another piece of code - what does it do? 3. small task to solve.   Answer Question

Hardware Design Engineer (Summer Placement) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kings Langley, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Imagination Technologies (Kings Langley, England (UK)) in April 2014.

Interview

Applied online via their website. After around two weeks they emailed me and arranged a phone interview which comprised of questions such as why did you choose Imagination, what have you studied at university, a little bit about MIPS architecture and questions regarding pipelining, interrupts and a linked-lists in C. A few days after they arranged a Face-to-Face interview with me at their HQ. This comprised of more difficult questions, particularly those at the low-level, things like designing counters in logic, creating a NAND only XOR etc. Just make sure you can do a little Boolean algebra. They're not looking for people who can answer every question perfectly, they're looking for those who think about it and make an attempt regardless rather than those who just say "I can't do it" or "I don't know how".

Interview Questions

• Given some binary sequence implement it in logic and then minify it using Boolean algebra/ Karnaugh maps etc   1 Answer

Negotiation

Salary was specified in the interview. It's fixed for internships.

Digital Design Leader Interview

Interview

Very technical interview, even if the position was for technical management. Three hours of technical questions on digital design, involving fifo architecture, fsm design, combinatorial logic design, hdl questions, asynchronous fifos sizing, and many others. It is advisable to refresh your memory on digital design technics, at HDL and gate level. A good read at Hennessy & Patterson is a good start.

Interview Questions

• How to synchronize a signal crossing two clocks derived from the same PLL or same Oscillator.   1 Answer

Hardware Design Engineer - Summer Placement Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kings Langley, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Imagination Technologies (Kings Langley, England (UK)) in March 2014.

Interview

Applied online, followed by a phone interview with basic technical questions, which led to a face to face interview on site

Graduate Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at Imagination Technologies.

Interview

At the very beginning, I was contacted by an international recruiting agency. They asked me if I was interested in job opportunities in the UK and some very simple technical questions concerning my experience. Then I was told to take an online assessment test on the C language. After four days the recruiter contacted me saying they wanted to do a phone interview. It was quite straightforward, questions about caches, virtual memory, GPU architecture. After approximately one week I received another call for an HR interview in which my motivation was tested. Questions like why would you like to work here, what are your weaknesses,.. Then, after approximately two weeks I was contacted for a face-to-face interview. I went to the Head Quarters, got everything payed by them. The f2f interview was very tough but nice. I had 4 steps, 3 technical with 3 different people and 1 with HR. The questions were to reverse a linked list in C, something related to the Linux filesystem, and several pieces of code in which I had to identify warning and errors. Then I waited for approximately 3 weeks and, finally, I was made an offer.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

You can negotiate, I did it and went well.

Hardware Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kings Langley, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Imagination Technologies (Kings Langley, England (UK)) in January 2014.

Interview

The interviewing process begun from a telephone interview, where basics about boolean algebra, registers setup and hold time, and questions about frequency limitations were asked. After this, a face-to-face interview was scheduled (the transportation expenses were paid by them). The face-to-face interview itself went well; the interviewer was a nice person, always kind and thoughtful. He asked to design a 4-bit circular shift using flip-flops, with "0001" pattern. After this, he asked to implement a state machine using those filp-flops... A second problem was to implement a state machine and identify the states for a road cross semaphores. Final problem was to find a solution for a spinning disk, where a rotation direction and speed is required to be known. The last part of the interview consisted of showing my personal projects and asking question about the job.

Interview Questions

• Implement a combination-logic circuit for the state machine.   1 Answer

Summer Internship - Software Development Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kings Langley, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Imagination Technologies (Kings Langley, England (UK)) in January 2014.

Interview

After applying in late December and completing an online C test I heard back from them within a month to arrange the interview. Along with the date of the interview they also informed me they would pay any expenses for travel etc. and promptly did upon arrival at reception. The whole interview took about an hour and 45 minutes, and comprised of two sections. The first was technical and was taken by 3 people. During this time they asked about university subjects and experiences as well as what I could bring to the table. They asked about experience with C and some detail on previous work before giving me a simple C question involving references to a memory location which using bitwise operations I was required to alter a specific bit in. This part of the interview took the majority of the time. The second part of the interview was with a very friendly man from HR, and involved many of the expected interview questions. What are your job interests, why do you want to work for this company etc.

Interview Questions

• Asked about specifics on projects completed years ago, which sadly, I could remember very little about.   Answer Question

Software Design Engineer (Video) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kings Langley, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Imagination Technologies (Kings Langley, England (UK)) in January 2014.

Interview

First you will do a phone call and then an online C test. It is annoying and does not proof any good knowledge of C, however managers know that (but still keep it because they're probably lazy to look for something better) and even if you fail it you can pass to the next step. Then you will be invited to a face to face interview, which is really easy.

Interview Questions

• Code to detect whether a string is a palindrome   1 Answer
    • Discuss in a whiteboard techniques how to store the status of a chess board (basically how to encode the information, how you would reduce redundancy, concepts of encoding/compression, etc.). There is no closed solution, they just want to see how you approach the problem.   1 Answer
    • Question about pthreads (just general knowledge)   1 Answer

Graduate Hardware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kings Langley, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Imagination Technologies (Kings Langley, England (UK)) in December 2013.

Interview

1. CV uploaded and sent through their website. 2. Telephone interview which was non-technical (They basically want to know that you are interested in the job and have some knowledge about the company & role), asked about final year project and general questions. 3. 1.5hrs technical interview followed by 1hr HR interview Both interview were tough but the interviewers were very relaxed and wellcoming which made it easier. Basic Digital Question (Timing, Digital Design, Peripherals)

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation needed, they offered what I asked for!