Imagination Technologies Interview Questions

Updated Jun 4, 2015

3.5

Hardware Design Engineer - Summer Placement Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kings Langley, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Imagination Technologies (Kings Langley, England (UK)) in March 2014.

Interview

Applied online, followed by a phone interview with basic technical questions, which led to a face to face interview on site

Graduate Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at Imagination Technologies.

Interview

At the very beginning, I was contacted by an international recruiting agency. They asked me if I was interested in job opportunities in the UK and some very simple technical questions concerning my experience. Then I was told to take an online assessment test on the C language. After four days the recruiter contacted me saying they wanted to do a phone interview. It was quite straightforward, questions about caches, virtual memory, GPU architecture. After approximately one week I received another call for an HR interview in which my motivation was tested. Questions like why would you like to work here, what are your weaknesses,.. Then, after approximately two weeks I was contacted for a face-to-face interview. I went to the Head Quarters, got everything payed by them. The f2f interview was very tough but nice. I had 4 steps, 3 technical with 3 different people and 1 with HR. The questions were to reverse a linked list in C, something related to the Linux filesystem, and several pieces of code in which I had to identify warning and errors.
    Then I waited for approximately 3 weeks and, finally, I was made an offer.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

You can negotiate, I did it and went well.

Hardware Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kings Langley, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Imagination Technologies (Kings Langley, England (UK)) in January 2014.

Interview

The interviewing process begun from a telephone interview, where basics about boolean algebra, registers setup and hold time, and questions about frequency limitations were asked. After this, a face-to-face interview was scheduled (the transportation expenses were paid by them).
    The face-to-face interview itself went well; the interviewer was a nice person, always kind and thoughtful. He asked to design a 4-bit circular shift using flip-flops, with "0001" pattern. After this, he asked to implement a state machine using those filp-flops... A second problem was to implement a state machine and identify the states for a road cross semaphores.
    Final problem was to find a solution for a spinning disk, where a rotation direction and speed is required to be known.
    The last part of the interview consisted of showing my personal projects and asking question about the job.

Interview Questions

• Implement a combination-logic circuit for the state machine.   1 Answer

Summer Internship - Software Development Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kings Langley, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Imagination Technologies (Kings Langley, England (UK)) in January 2014.

Interview

After applying in late December and completing an online C test I heard back from them within a month to arrange the interview. Along with the date of the interview they also informed me they would pay any expenses for travel etc. and promptly did upon arrival at reception. The whole interview took about an hour and 45 minutes, and comprised of two sections. The first was technical and was taken by 3 people. During this time they asked about university subjects and experiences as well as what I could bring to the table. They asked about experience with C and some detail on previous work before giving me a simple C question involving references to a memory location which using bitwise operations I was required to alter a specific bit in. This part of the interview took the majority of the time.
    The second part of the interview was with a very friendly man from HR, and involved many of the expected interview questions. What are your job interests, why do you want to work for this company etc.

Interview Questions

• Asked about specifics on projects completed years ago, which sadly, I could remember very little about.   Answer Question

Software Design Engineer (Video) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kings Langley, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Imagination Technologies (Kings Langley, England (UK)) in January 2014.

Interview

First you will do a phone call and then an online C test. It is annoying and does not proof any good knowledge of C, however managers know that (but still keep it because they're probably lazy to look for something better) and even if you fail it you can pass to the next step. Then you will be invited to a face to face interview, which is really easy.

Interview Questions

• Code to detect whether a string is a palindrome   1 Answer
    • Discuss in a whiteboard techniques how to store the status of a chess board (basically how to encode the information, how you would reduce redundancy, concepts of encoding/compression, etc.). There is no closed solution, they just want to see how you approach the problem.   1 Answer
    • Question about pthreads (just general knowledge)   1 Answer

Graduate Hardware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kings Langley, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Imagination Technologies (Kings Langley, England (UK)) in December 2013.

Interview

1. CV uploaded and sent through their website.
    2. Telephone interview which was non-technical (They basically want to know that you are interested in the job and have some knowledge about the company & role), asked about final year project and general questions.
    3. 1.5hrs technical interview followed by 1hr HR interview

Both interview were tough but the interviewers were very relaxed and wellcoming which made it easier.

Basic Digital Question (Timing, Digital Design, Peripherals)

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation needed, they offered what I asked for!

Application

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at Imagination Technologies.

Interview

Contacted by a recruitment agency that referred my details to Imagination. All communication from there on was through the agency, who would seem to relay my messages to the company in question. I was given a days notice for the telephone interview wherein they wanted to know my knowledge about the company with a technical follow-up, ending with questions about my CV. The technical part requires you to know about basic digital logic, some design problems, computer architechure and a unique design question.

Interview Questions

• A couple of the computer architecture questions threw me off.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Imagination Technologies in November 2013.

Interview

Got to appear for the Online C test through employee referral. It was followed by a telephonic interview (technical interview). The questions were mainly based on project work and C algorithms.

Interview Questions

• Linked List Algorithms: Finding duplicate, check if it is circular,
      Also, a lot of questions related to project work.

Answer Question

Graduate Hardware Design Engineer (MIPS Team) Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Imagination Technologies (London, England (UK)).

Interview

3 rounds of interviews:
    A phone interview with an engineer, followed by a skype interview with the same person.
    I was then invited to an on-site interview at London, Kings Langley (travel expenses reimbursed) where I met the person in charge of the MIPS team.
    All interviews had technical questions, mostly on digital design and CPUs.

Interview Questions

• - Phone interview: Firstly, general questions on CV, projects, etc... Then, questions about logic and digital design: Setup/Hold time, pipelining, CPU, MIPS, ...
      - Skype interview: Questions on different possible implementations of FIFOs, how to design a circuit generating a certain sequence of 4-bit numbers (the sequence was showed through skype)
      - On site interview: Review of CV, design questions: design a system capable of detecting wether a disk is rotating clockwise or anti-clockwise. Questions about synchronizers. ...

Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Imagination Technologies (Pune (India)) in October 2013.

Interview

Applied online and received confirmation call from HR. For software positions imagination always asks the candidate to take online C test. The test question difficulty changes as per your ability. If you answer correctly usually a difficult question will pop and vice versa. Cleared the test and was scheduled for a telephonic round. Telephonic round was a complete mess. The interviewer seemed to be the linux person and had absolutely no idea how to interview non-linux candidates. Lot of pauses during the interview as the guy struggled to create questions that can be asked. Considering the role & skill set desired the interview was quite partial (only Linux) and did not cover questions on all the topics mentioned. Rather it covered only hypothetical questions (perhaps faced by interviewer on the job) which didnt have single answer and required brain storming on the white board. Fairly poor interview process...

Interview Questions

• JD as mentioned

Role: A leading position working on cutting edge GPU firmware technologies. You would be involved in maintaining and development of GPU firmware and hardware abstraction layer (HAL), while leading a team to deliver features and fixes to customers. You would be single point contact for all HAL activities from the India design center.
      Background: As a part of PowerVR Graphics, you would be working with some of best teams distributed across various geographical locations. This will bring you in contact with current and future generations of GPU/3D hardware targeted at mobile phone and other embedded devices.
      Opportunity
      Working in Services (Platforms and Tools), you will have some or all of the following opportunities
      Coordinating with cross functional teams in different geographic locations.
      Working with Tier1 customers to deliver quality software
      Required Skills:
      Excellent C programming skills
      Firm grip on Data Structures and Algorithms
      Knowledge of assembly programming
      Familiarity with Operating System concepts
      Team leading experience
      Desired Skills:
      Understanding of micro kernel architectures
      Project planning and execution,