Impact Networking

2.3

6 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waukegan, IL
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waukegan, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Impact Networking in February 2011.

I found Impact Networking at Purdue University's Spring Career Fair. I attended an informational session first, then had an interview the next day, at Purdue. The first interview I didn't do too much preparing, other than a little company research and reviewing my notes from the info session. A little less than a week later I got invited back for a second round interview at the corporate headquarters in Waukegan, IL. I was so excited, I reviewed two interview books I had recently picked up, did a lot of research and practice, and also contacted one of the managers who had first interviewed me for some helpful tips for the second interview. I must have worked for three days straight going over tough questions, and also thinking of good questions to ask in return. There was a Technology show a few days before my interview I decided to attend to get a better idea of all the different services etc., where I ended up meeting most of the sales reps from the Waukegan office, and also the Sales Manager (who was going to be interviewing me). Even though I didn't know everything, I felt like this sounded like a really cool company that I definitely wanted to work for. Anyways, went to the interview a few days later, it ended up being really easy, probably for a couple reasons (I spent so much time preparing, and also I had already met my interviewee, so it wasn't so scary), and I ended up liking Impact even more. The final step of the interview process was a Ride Day - where I shadowed one of the other sales reps for a whole day, and got some actual hands on experience out in the field working with customers. I loved it! I got the job, and have been so happy here ever since.

Interview Questions
I didn't do too much negotiating, since this was my first job out of college, but everything seemed pretty generous for my position, with endless opportunities. I wouldn't really recommend negotiating too much if you're fresh out of school, but there's a lot of room for rapid growth and promotion, as long as you put in the work! TAKE THE JOB!

Other Interview Reviews for Impact Networking

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Impact Networking in January 2011.

Recruiter: I was first contacted by a recruiter who had pulled my resume off of my college career site. She expressed interest in pursuing me as a candidate, so I agreed to a 1:1 interview

1:1 Interview: The interview went really well. I was able to have all of my questions answered while I was in the interview as well. The branch manager was a very likable individual who was very easy to get along with. To my knowledge, he answered all of my questions upfront and truthfully.

Day in the office: As a sales consultant with Impact, the workload is intense. I'm not saying it isn't possible, but for that pay, you really should be doing something else. A day in the office consists of making cold calls... all day! By the way, the office is your region, which mean, you go building to building knocking on doors and annoying receptionists.

The interview was fine and the day in the office was also fine. The fact is, I just didn't feel like you were fully compensated on the amount of work that you would be doing.

Interview Questions

The main reason that I applied was for a few different reasons.

One thing that Impact does to get candidates in for an interview is, the offer a base salary with no cap on commission. This sounds impressive but there is definitely some fine print.

I was offered a salary of 29K. The way this works is that you have a specific quota to make for the month. They say that you are guaranteed 29K but the fact is, if you don't make your quota, you pay for the lack of what you didn't make in your quota to Impact. There is no guaranteed salary...

Also, Impact holds no liability. If for some reason you make a sale and the company you sell to decides to stop paying after 3 months, Impact does not give you the money you made for your sale... even if you took the time developing the plan for the company. You just put in a ton of hours to get nothing. If they don't get money, you don't get money... makes since, but where did your 3 months go for setting up that deal?

I will say that Impact had a pretty good benefit package but nothing out of this world.

Work load that is expected from consultants:
    - 800 cold calls per month (500 phone calls, 300 calls by walking into the business)
    - 5 demos per month (bring company into the office and present a demo to them

In conclusion, Impact has a young culture and their employees seem to enjoy what they are doing. From my point of view, you have the opportunity to really develop your area and make some good money. However, 800 cold calls is absolutely outrageous. It may be for some people, just not me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Impact Networking in November 2010.

They came to do on-campus interviews at my University, which is where I first met the Recruiter. Next, I was invited an Open House of sorts, where I met a few of the employees, and other candidates. After that, I had a 1-on-1 interview with the Hiring Manager which was super basic, generic questions about sales, handling objections, and all of that other stuff. They were extremely misleading about what the company focuses on (copiers). There were promises of huge commission checks and high-margin software sales, when in fact, it's just guys selling copiers for a living.

The last part of the interview is a "Shadow Day," where you basically just follow a salesperson around and watch them cold call. If you are still interested after this (most aren't), the job is yours. The base salary is about $28k, and don't expect to make more than $2-3k TOPS in commission your first year. Also, since turnover is so high, every territory has been cheery-picked by the guys who have been there for a few years. The accounts that are left have also already been ruined by poor salespeople in the past.

If you look at the average tenure there, it's not good. In fact, their most successful reps have been leaving the industry, since it's shrinking pretty quickly. If you do take the job, begin looking for an exit as soon as possible, and stick around for at least a year if you can. However, more likely than not, you'll be shown the door after a couple of months.

Interview Questions
    • All of the questions were very predictable and read off of a form.   Answer Question
    The turnover is very high, so they hire large groups of new salespeople very often. Since this is the case, there is really no room for negotiation. Also, they only hire people fresh out of college who have no leverage.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Impact Networking in September 2010.

Very informal. invited to to do a job shadow. Seemed kinda shady. Company is mysterious.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Impact Networking in May 2010.

They came to my campus and it was a very informal interview and I made it to the second round in Chicago. The second round was basically just me asking questions about the process and was also pretty informal. The third round was a job shadow where I followed one of the employees around. If you can make it through that with out complaining you'll pretty much get an offer. They take anyone but will fire you in a second too.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Impact Networking in January 2009.

There were emails that went back and forth in the beginning. Then a face to face interview. Then a day of job shadowing. Next I was hired all in about a week's time. You will know if this job is for you after the job shadow if you are still interested after the first interview.

none