Imperial College London Interview Questions & Reviews

29 interviews

2.9

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Imperial College London in May 2008.

I applied for the position in response to advertisement in a popular research group email. I had to submit a 2 page research statement in addition to the college application and CV. A 1 hr phone interview was conducted including a presentation over the phone. An offer was made in few weeks.

Interview Questions
    • Some questions depend on research work. Some general questions such as describe your strengths and weaknesses were also asked.   Answer Question
    Relocation.

Research Assistant Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at Imperial College London in January 2009.

The interview took place in the professors' office. It took several hours, focusing on specific technical questions related to the potential project to do. Talked about the previous experience, projects, courses taken, coding ability, understanding about the industry...

Interview Questions
    • Tell me your understanding about the difference between ad hoc networks and mesh networks?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 6 months - interviewed at Imperial College London.

Read recent papers by staff member which you get asked about in telephone interview. Prepare statement of intended research with bibliography. Fill in departmental application form with background and request two references from previous study.

Interview Questions
    • More about background theory of staff member's papers. Why should we get funding for you?   Answer Question
    Mainly about receiving scholarship to fund studies during PhD.

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I interviewed online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Imperial College London in March 2012.

Application submitted online then interview. No negotiation possible on starting salary as it is fixed for everyone

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I interviewed in-person. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Imperial College London in May 2009.

1to1 process. The most important is to convince the supervisor that you ll work with. The need to see both passion and skills. They asked me about my previous experience and courses. Where I can contribute into the research group. Why I want to do research. some personal questions and then more technical skills.

Interview Questions
    • How can I use my skills to their current research and what makes me confident that I will be able to pass my PhD.   Answer Question
    there is not any negotiation.

Junior Researcher Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Imperial College London.

It was great and organised. I had 2 interviews, informal and formal.

Interview Questions
    • Are you able to work independently and what do u expect from ur line manager   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

The process took 5 days - interviewed at Imperial College London in March 2008.

After application, a general panel interview was conducted. This consisted of a presentation on research experience, a small panel of interviewers who asked questions on my experience, my impressions of biological research and why I wanted to continue my academic career in Microbiology. The interview questions were fairly general and were mainly discussion starters. After having passed that initial interview I then picked a supervisor and went for a 1:1 interview with him. That was a much more relaxed affair having already been selected for a position in the faculty. The interview revolved around my experience and plans for the future and questions about the research topics I was most interested in.

My advice for people going to interview would be to read all the papers published by the interview panel if you can get their names and also the supervisors of the various research topics you're interested in. Be candid about the research process as for the most part it's a dull affair, and also show that you've got the graft to stick it out for four years and can achieve something in the face of adversity.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to pursue a career in research?   View Answer
    I waited about two weeks before accepting the offer as I was waiting to see what other offers I might get in from other interviews. I would say that two weeks was about the maximum they were prepared to wait and they were in frequent contact to see if I had decided. I didn't impact my position in the slightest, however.

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Imperial College London in October 2008.

30-60 minutes presentation on my previous research work and research interests. After that discussion about my future plans, the requirements of the possition. One professor and several PhD students and other RAs from the research group attended my presentation. Overall, very friendly environment and very good experience. At the end I went for lunch with the porfessor for further discussions.

Interview Questions
    • What are your future research plans - are you intending to continue your previous research directions or you are willing to start something new?   Answer Question
    • How much did you contribute in your previous publications?   Answer Question
    In accademia, it all comes to your supervisor. Other people are very relaxed and other very strict with their post-docs and phd students. In my case, they offered to even pay my broadband in case I want to work from home some days.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Imperial College London in May 2011.

Helpful and informative initial contact.
    Was given a good range of background materials.
    Encouraging office staff on the day.
    Questions by interview panel were within expectations.
    Not offered the job but post interview feedback was direct and helpful.

Petroleum Engineer Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Imperial College London in August 2011.

this consist of a phone interview with the company. It took 1 hour. Competency questions were asked and the CV was used to ask most of the questions. It was a one-on-one interview.

Interview Questions

Worked for Imperial College London? Contribute to the Community!