Imperial College London

Updated Jan 29, 2015
Updated Jan 29, 2015

2.8

Research Associate Interview

Interview was a smooth process. I was offered the job straight from studying at Imperial College. Staff were very friendly and polite. It was a great and very professional process overall.

MSC Environmental Technology Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Imperial College London in May 2013.

Most of the questions had to do with my previous studies, talking about my interests and if I had any specialization in environmental issues during my studies. I was checked if I was speaking English language well enough, being a non-UK student. The interviewer was really calm and made me feel confident from the beginning of the interview.

Interview Questions
    • "Being a physist how will you manage to make ends meet with environmental studies?"   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Imperial College London.

No interview process is required. You just have to send an e-mail to the professor with whom you are interested to undertake a research project with. You then just discuss your interests and motivation. For Imperial students the process is a lot easier.

Undergraduate Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Imperial College London in April 2014.

I emailed one of the UROP listings my department had publicized. That placement was already taken by the time I had gotten to it but the academic I emailed pointed me towards other academics in the same area. So I emailed another one and set a meeting. We had a chat over why I wanted to do a UROP, my academic results and my research interests. Then he gave me a research paper to read and understand, and 2 weeks later asked me to explain it as a sort of test.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were particularly hard or stood out. Most of it was just explaining the research paper and talking about my interest.   Answer Question

MSC Petroleum Geoscience Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Imperial College London.

Applied online, got invited to the Open Day which is where everyone gets a short interview. Interview lasted no more than 15mins (one-on-one) and consisted of extremely standard interview questions. There were about 100 students from Universities all over the UK, specially those that focus on Petroleum Geology such as Aberdeen, RHUL, Manchester etc.

The students are split into two groups. First group consists of a select few students (most of whom already have conditional offers before the interviews). These students get a short 10min panel interview where 15-20 industry folks (BP, Shell, BG Group, Centrica etc) ask questions. If successful, they receive a full or partial scholarship.

The second group, i.e the rest of the students, get interviewed by their potential lecturers, one-on-one. There are about 8 lecturers in 8 rooms and you'll get assigned to one randomly earlier in the morning.

Interview Questions
    • What makes you stand out from everyone else here today?   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Kensington, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Kensington, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Imperial College London in May 2010.

After applying online I was informed by HR that I have been shortlisted and a date for the interview was set. The interview was attended by the head of the department and the line manager, and started with a 10 minute presentation of a previous project of my choosing. I felt that the interviewers had prepared quite thoroughly for the presentation: each having a set of questions at the ready that seemed to be aimed at seeing how deeply I understood the subject matter, could apply this knowledge to different applications in a new field, or to see if I could continue a presentation if being interrupted repeatedly.

I was then given the opportunity to ask questions about the project and the work environment which all were answered in depth and frankly.

I was then given a sample problem: how would you select a correct contrast agent for a particular application, what image artifacts would you expect to encounter and what could you do to resolve them? I had no experience with contrast agents, however, the question evolved into a discussion where I was able to ask the interviewers for details that helped me better understand the technical challenges involved.

The last part of the interview were then standard HR questions: Do you feel this is the right project for you and you are right for the project? Why?

All in all this was a well prepared interview and felt more like an intellectual exchange than a high pressure interview process.

I was informed about the outcome of the interview on the same day.

Interview Questions
    • The technical question about selecting contrast agents and resolving imaging artifacts.   Answer Question

PhD Student Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Imperial College London.

I got two interviews, both by Skype. Nothing technical, they were just looking for an highly motivated candidate with some previous experience which were adaptable to the project. You can find the questions by googling it. The interviewers were super friendly

no negotiation phase.

Undergraduate Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Imperial College London in December 2013.

First apply through UCAS, i think this is the only way you can do it if you just graduated from college. some COURSES might have interviews, like Chemical Engineering, medicine, the others just requires you to do REALLY REALLY WELL in your A level. I applied for Mathematics, and the offer was A*A*AA similarly from Chemical engineering. Make sure you have good predicted grades as well.

Research Assistant Interview

I was invited for a 20-minute panel interview.

Interview Questions
    • Would you accept this job if offered? What's your A-Level?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Imperial College London in March 2014.

The key point is to build up your real interest in the position, do the research on the position and project itself.

Regular online application.
    Interview notice after two weeks.
    Two weeks interview preparation time.

20mins presentation on my own work.
    5-10 mins presentation on how do I think I fit the position.

I made this job offer because of the second well-prepared presentation.

Interview Questions
    • Most of questions were based on the nature of the research work.

Any experience of team-work.
      Availability.
      Visa.

Answer Question
    No negotiation. My first ever job offer, I have been more than grateful.