Imperial College London PhD Student Interview Questions

Updated Jul 15, 2015

3.3

PhD Student Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Imperial College London.

Interview

Email exchange on motivation and exp, itw on site with supervisor and lab director, formal college application: transcript, references, cover letter describing a research project, TOEFL test.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Imperial College London

PhD Student Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Imperial College London.

Interview

I got two interviews, both by Skype. Nothing technical, they were just looking for an highly motivated candidate with some previous experience which were adaptable to the project. You can find the questions by googling it. The interviewers were super friendly

Interview Questions

Negotiation

no negotiation phase.

PhD Student Interview

Interview

Application was conducted via an unsolicited email to a potential supervisor. First barrier is usually having a first class degree from a top UK university to be eligible for EPSRC or CASE studentships. Interview dependant on group

PhD Student Interview

Interview

Send in CV and cover letter with academic references. Prepare for the interview and read a lot of literature. Answer the questions concisely and to-the-point. Be prepared to be asked about your long-term plans. Be confident and know you stuff.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 10 years?   1 Answer

PhD Student Interview

Interview

PhD Student studentship oil/gas numerical modelling Visual C++ rock fracture simulation total 56 candidates final round 6 candidates and there were four interviewers 1 from the company and 3 from the university final round 6 candidates and there were four interviewers 1 from the company and 3 from the university

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Imperial College London (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Attended a PhD programme studentship interview after application with a personal statement. Interview consists a panel of 4 people lasting around 30 min.

Interview Questions

• Try to be prepared they will challenge you on the knowledge of the field and justify your interests (depends on individual panel really)   Answer Question

PhD Student Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Imperial College London.

Interview

CV submission and skype interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Imperial College London (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Read recent papers by staff member which you get asked about in telephone interview. Prepare statement of intended research with bibliography. Fill in departmental application form with background and request two references from previous study.

Interview Questions

• More about background theory of staff member's papers. Why should we get funding for you?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Mainly about receiving scholarship to fund studies during PhD.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Imperial College London (London, England (UK)) in May 2009.

Interview

1to1 process. The most important is to convince the supervisor that you ll work with. The need to see both passion and skills. They asked me about my previous experience and courses. Where I can contribute into the research group. Why I want to do research. some personal questions and then more technical skills.

Interview Questions

• How can I use my skills to their current research and what makes me confident that I will be able to pass my PhD.   Answer Question

Negotiation

there is not any negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Imperial College London (London, England (UK)) in March 2008.

Interview

After application, a general panel interview was conducted. This consisted of a presentation on research experience, a small panel of interviewers who asked questions on my experience, my impressions of biological research and why I wanted to continue my academic career in Microbiology. The interview questions were fairly general and were mainly discussion starters. After having passed that initial interview I then picked a supervisor and went for a 1:1 interview with him. That was a much more relaxed affair having already been selected for a position in the faculty. The interview revolved around my experience and plans for the future and questions about the research topics I was most interested in. My advice for people going to interview would be to read all the papers published by the interview panel if you can get their names and also the supervisors of the various research topics you're interested in. Be candid about the research process as for the most part it's a dull affair, and also show that you've got the graft to stick it out for four years and can achieve something in the face of adversity.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to pursue a career in research?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I waited about two weeks before accepting the offer as I was waiting to see what other offers I might get in from other interviews. I would say that two weeks was about the maximum they were prepared to wait and they were in frequent contact to see if I had decided. I didn't impact my position in the slightest, however.