Imperial College London PhD Student Interview Questions

Updated Jul 29, 2015

3.2

PhD Student Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Imperial College London.

Interview

Email exchange on motivation and exp, itw on site with supervisor and lab director, formal college application: transcript, references, cover letter describing a research project, TOEFL test.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Imperial College London

PhD Student Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Imperial College London.

Interview

I got two interviews, both by Skype. Nothing technical, they were just looking for an highly motivated candidate with some previous experience which were adaptable to the project. You can find the questions by googling it. The interviewers were super friendly

Interview Questions

Negotiation

no negotiation phase.

PhD Student Interview

Interview

Application was conducted via an unsolicited email to a potential supervisor. First barrier is usually having a first class degree from a top UK university to be eligible for EPSRC or CASE studentships. Interview dependant on group

PhD Student Interview

Interview

Send in CV and cover letter with academic references. Prepare for the interview and read a lot of literature. Answer the questions concisely and to-the-point. Be prepared to be asked about your long-term plans. Be confident and know you stuff.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 10 years?   1 Answer

PhD Student Interview

Interview

PhD Student studentship oil/gas numerical modelling Visual C++ rock fracture simulation total 56 candidates final round 6 candidates and there were four interviewers 1 from the company and 3 from the university final round 6 candidates and there were four interviewers 1 from the company and 3 from the university

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Imperial College London (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Attended a PhD programme studentship interview after application with a personal statement. Interview consists a panel of 4 people lasting around 30 min.

Interview Questions

• Try to be prepared they will challenge you on the knowledge of the field and justify your interests (depends on individual panel really)   Answer Question

PhD Student Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Imperial College London.

Interview

CV submission and skype interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Imperial College London (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Read recent papers by staff member which you get asked about in telephone interview. Prepare statement of intended research with bibliography. Fill in departmental application form with background and request two references from previous study.

Interview Questions

• More about background theory of staff member's papers. Why should we get funding for you?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Mainly about receiving scholarship to fund studies during PhD.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Imperial College London (London, England (UK)) in January 2011.

Interview

I turned up and talked for a few hours with various PhD supervisors. We covered a range of subjects, mainly areas relevant to the research, discussing previous projects I had completed, subjects I studied during my Masters and, in one case, researchers we both knew at my previous University. It was pretty informal, seeing if we all got on well.

Interview Questions

• We discussed recent advances in GPU technology relevant to the research areas.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Imperial College London (London, England (UK)) in May 2009.

Interview

1to1 process. The most important is to convince the supervisor that you ll work with. The need to see both passion and skills. They asked me about my previous experience and courses. Where I can contribute into the research group. Why I want to do research. some personal questions and then more technical skills.

Interview Questions

• How can I use my skills to their current research and what makes me confident that I will be able to pass my PhD.   Answer Question

Negotiation

there is not any negotiation.