Imperial College London

Average Difficulty
8 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Imperial College London

Interview Details – Application was conducted via an unsolicited email to a potential supervisor. First barrier is usually having a first class degree from a top UK university to be eligible for EPSRC or CASE studentships. Interview dependant on group

Interview Question – n/a   Answer Question

Interviewed at Imperial College London

Interview Details – Send in CV and cover letter with academic references. Prepare for the interview and read a lot of literature. Answer the questions concisely and to-the-point. Be prepared to be asked about your long-term plans. Be confident and know you stuff.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in 10 years?   View Answer

Interviewed at Imperial College London

Interview Details – PhD Student studentship oil/gas numerical modelling Visual C++ rock fracture simulation

total 56 candidates
final round 6 candidates and there were four interviewers 1 from the company and 3 from the university

Interview Question – no unexpected question   Answer Question

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Imperial College London.

Interview Details – Attended a PhD programme studentship interview after application with a personal statement.
Interview consists a panel of 4 people lasting around 30 min.

Interview Question – Try to be prepared they will challenge you on the knowledge of the field and justify your interests (depends on individual panel really)   Answer Question

PhD Student

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Imperial College London.

Interview Details – CV submission and skype interview

London, England (UK)

I applied in-person and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Imperial College London in May 2009.

Interview Details – 1to1 process. The most important is to convince the supervisor that you ll work with. The need to see both passion and skills. They asked me about my previous experience and courses. Where I can contribute into the research group. Why I want to do research. some personal questions and then more technical skills.

Interview Question – How can I use my skills to their current research and what makes me confident that I will be able to pass my PhD.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – there is not any negotiation.

London, England (UK)

I applied through college or university and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Imperial College London.

Interview Details – Read recent papers by staff member which you get asked about in telephone interview. Prepare statement of intended research with bibliography. Fill in departmental application form with background and request two references from previous study.

Interview Question – More about background theory of staff member's papers. Why should we get funding for you?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Mainly about receiving scholarship to fund studies during PhD.

London, England (UK)

The process took 5 days - interviewed at Imperial College London in March 2008.

Interview Details – After application, a general panel interview was conducted. This consisted of a presentation on research experience, a small panel of interviewers who asked questions on my experience, my impressions of biological research and why I wanted to continue my academic career in Microbiology. The interview questions were fairly general and were mainly discussion starters. After having passed that initial interview I then picked a supervisor and went for a 1:1 interview with him. That was a much more relaxed affair having already been selected for a position in the faculty. The interview revolved around my experience and plans for the future and questions about the research topics I was most interested in.

My advice for people going to interview would be to read all the papers published by the interview panel if you can get their names and also the supervisors of the various research topics you're interested in. Be candid about the research process as for the most part it's a dull affair, and also show that you've got the graft to stick it out for four years and can achieve something in the face of adversity.

Interview Question – Why do you want to pursue a career in research?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I waited about two weeks before accepting the offer as I was waiting to see what other offers I might get in from other interviews. I would say that two weeks was about the maximum they were prepared to wait and they were in frequent contact to see if I had decided. I didn't impact my position in the slightest, however.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Imperial College London

Worked for Imperial College London? Contribute to the Community!