Imperial Oil

3.3

31 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Cost and Estimating Engineer Junior Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Imperial Oil in November 2014.

I applied online and then got an interview at uni. That interview was all behavioral based questions. After that I received a phone call about two weeks later asking me to fly in for a second interview. The interview was pretty straight forward. At first you get an overview of the job and position. Then you see an engineer where they give you a mock case and you talk through what you think the cost estimates would be and what things you would have to include. Then you meet with another engineer and read a bunch of fake emails and have to prioritize them and state your reasons why you decided that way. Next you meet the big boss and just chat. The last person who interviews you is your boss and they ask basic behavioral questions. Then you go for lunch with some of the other group. Just had interview recently so not sure if I have the job or not yet!

Business Coop Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Imperial Oil in September 2014.

An hour long structured interview with two interviewers. Very friendly and made me feel relaxed. Focused on behavioural based questions. Interview occurred on campus. They provided their thoughts on the company and we're willing to answer my questions

Interview Questions
    Salary offered was great so I accepted

Upstream Engineer - Campus Hire Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Imperial Oil.

The hiring process begins with an online application where your resume and cover letter are submitted. in approximately 2 weeks Imperial Oil gets back to you about a first round interview. The initial screening seems to look for strong grades and previous oil and gas experience (through co-op terms/internships). THe 1st interview is on school campus and lasts approximately 45 minutes. If you get past this you are invited to Calgary for three 2nd round interviews with the group that you would potentially join. The interviews are all behavioural in nature.

Summer Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online – interviewed at Imperial Oil.

One on campus interview with a manager. All behavioural questions that were very straight forward.

Interview Questions
    • None. They were all typical behavioural interview questions. Nothing technical or from left field.   Answer Question

Maintenance Reliability (Coop Student) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Imperial Oil in February 2014.

One interview, they flew me from Toronto to Calgary for the interview, Mostly using the STAR technique looking for full page answers, interviewer was the supervisor himself and one HR guy, mostly typical questions like A situation where you took initiative / innovation, What is your biggest accomplishment?, Tell me a time when you had to adapt to changing conditions, What did you like least about working at your previous job?, what are your favorite courses?

Interview Questions
    • "What maintenance and reliability activities have you done in past?"   View Answer

Summer Accounting Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Applied online through company website in Jan, About 2 weeks later, I was notified with an interview offer. The interview took place on campus and lasted for one hour. It was an one on one interview and the interviewer was very nice. She had a list of questions to ask. Candy and water were available.

Sales Operations Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Imperial Oil.

Interview was composed of a series of behavioral questions. It was done in a conversational setting in an attempt understand if my skills and experiences are relevant to position. I found the overall process to be very professional and fair.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions. They were precise questions pushing me to draw from my previous professional and academic experience to relate to the position.   Answer Question

New Graduate Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online – interviewed at Imperial Oil.

I have applied at the company website and got a call for an interview after 3 weeks. They asked me some general questions. This was all about behavioural questions. I answered confidently but did not get any reply from them

New Grad Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Imperial Oil in November 2013.

It was a behavioral interview.
    Give an example when you used creativity to solve a problem.
    Give an example of when you didn't achieve your objective.
    Tell about a time when you had to make an unpopular decision.
    Give an example of when you made a mistake or poor decision and how you handled it.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you sell an idea to a supervisor or teacher.   Answer Question

New Grad Geology Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Imperial Oil in October 2013.

#1: online CV/credentials submission
    #2: 2-day workshop at Imperial Oil, flight, accommodation and expenses paid for by IO! The workshop was attended by ~30 other recruits, and there were 5 total workshops for the recruitment year. The workshop itself was very informative and fun. Lots of team work where you recruiters were interested to see how you worked as an individual, but also as part of a team.
    #3: had to give information and consent for background checks in advance of second interview day
    #4: second interview day on site (again, flight, accommodation etc paid for). This day consisted of several formal interviews. First a standard behavioral interview, then you have to give a technical presentation , then technical interview (real-life problem to assess your problem solving skills and how you think), then business interview. All four interviews last ~1 hour. At the end of the day two recruiters take you out for dinner with another interviewee.
    #5: if you're lucky, an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Several behavioral type questions that were new to me, but as long as you're quick thinking on your feet you should be fine.   Answer Question