Imperial Oil

Relevance Date Difficulty

Construction Manager Interview

Construction Manager
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Imperial Oil in September 2012.

Interview Details – Full day interview process involving both current managers and functional manager. The downfall was having to participate in a luncheon with the other 3 gentlemen that were there for an interview as well. Awkward.

Interview Question – What do you know about Paraffinic Froth Treatment?.....?!?!?...   Answer Question

New Grad Geology Interview

New Grad Geology
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Imperial Oil in October 2013.

Interview Details – #1: online CV/credentials submission
#2: 2-day workshop at Imperial Oil, flight, accommodation and expenses paid for by IO! The workshop was attended by ~30 other recruits, and there were 5 total workshops for the recruitment year. The workshop itself was very informative and fun. Lots of team work where you recruiters were interested to see how you worked as an individual, but also as part of a team.
#3: had to give information and consent for background checks in advance of second interview day
#4: second interview day on site (again, flight, accommodation etc paid for). This day consisted of several formal interviews. First a standard behavioral interview, then you have to give a technical presentation , then technical interview (real-life problem to assess your problem solving skills and how you think), then business interview. All four interviews last ~1 hour. At the end of the day two recruiters take you out for dinner with another interviewee.
#5: if you're lucky, an offer.

Interview Question – Several behavioral type questions that were new to me, but as long as you're quick thinking on your feet you should be fine.   Answer Question

Upstream Engineer - Campus Hire Interview

Upstream Engineer - Campus Hire
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Imperial Oil.

Interview Details – The hiring process begins with an online application where your resume and cover letter are submitted. in approximately 2 weeks Imperial Oil gets back to you about a first round interview. The initial screening seems to look for strong grades and previous oil and gas experience (through co-op terms/internships). THe 1st interview is on school campus and lasts approximately 45 minutes. If you get past this you are invited to Calgary for three 2nd round interviews with the group that you would potentially join. The interviews are all behavioural in nature.

Interview Question – Which written assignment are you proudest of?   Answer Question

Maintenance Reliability (Coop Student) Interview

Maintenance Reliability (Coop Student)
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Imperial Oil in February 2014.

Interview Details – One interview, they flew me from Toronto to Calgary for the interview, Mostly using the STAR technique looking for full page answers, interviewer was the supervisor himself and one HR guy, mostly typical questions like A situation where you took initiative / innovation, What is your biggest accomplishment?, Tell me a time when you had to adapt to changing conditions, What did you like least about working at your previous job?, what are your favorite courses?

Interview Question – "What maintenance and reliability activities have you done in past?"   View Answer

Summer Student Interview

Summer Student
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online and interviewed at Imperial Oil.

Interview Details – One on campus interview with a manager. All behavioural questions that were very straight forward.

Interview Question – None. They were all typical behavioural interview questions. Nothing technical or from left field.   Answer Question

Summer Accounting Analyst Interview

Summer Accounting Analyst
Calgary, AB (Canada)

Interview Details – Applied online through company website in Jan, About 2 weeks later, I was notified with an interview offer. The interview took place on campus and lasted for one hour. It was an one on one interview and the interviewer was very nice. She had a list of questions to ask. Candy and water were available.

Interview Question – All behavioral based questions   Answer Question

Sales Operations Support Interview

Sales Operations Support
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Imperial Oil.

Interview Details – Interview was composed of a series of behavioral questions. It was done in a conversational setting in an attempt understand if my skills and experiences are relevant to position. I found the overall process to be very professional and fair.

Interview Question – There were no difficult questions. They were precise questions pushing me to draw from my previous professional and academic experience to relate to the position.   Answer Question

New Graduate Mechanical Engineer Interview

New Graduate Mechanical Engineer
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online and interviewed at Imperial Oil.

Interview Details – I have applied at the company website and got a call for an interview after 3 weeks. They asked me some general questions. This was all about behavioural questions. I answered confidently but did not get any reply from them

Interview Question – How did you overcome stress?   Answer Question

New Grad Engineer Interview

New Grad Engineer
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Imperial Oil in November 2013.

Interview Details – It was a behavioral interview.
Give an example when you used creativity to solve a problem.
Give an example of when you didn't achieve your objective.
Tell about a time when you had to make an unpopular decision.
Give an example of when you made a mistake or poor decision and how you handled it.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you sell an idea to a supervisor or teacher.   Answer Question

Facility Engineer Interview

Facility Engineer
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 7+ weeks - interviewed at Imperial Oil in August 2013.

Interview Details – 2 phone interview, conducted by HR, phone screen, each took 10 minutes. Scheduled for a month later with 3 technical, supervisory and manager interview sections; each took 1 hour at headquarter in Calgary.
Mostly behavioral questions such as describe the situation, what you do, what was outcome.

Interview Question – Manager interview was the hardest section, where the team supervisor said I can skip behavioral questions, and started to challenge with asking too many quick questions and describing the most unexpected things happened in the fields recently and asked about the recommended solutions.   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Imperial Oil? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Imperial Oil interview questions and advice in Calgary, AB. All 26 interview reviews posted anonymously by Imperial Oil employees and interview candidates.