Imperial Oil Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jun 14, 2015

3.5

Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Imperial Oil in June 2015.

Interview

Had a campus interview with an Engineer. First asked about myself, then proceeded to ask me behavioral questions. Those included leadership, teamwork, etc. He was noting down the points as I spoke. In the end asked my for my strengths and asked if I had any questions.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Imperial Oil

Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Imperial Oil in February 2014.

Interview

Applied Online- Single 1 Hour interview on campus based on behavioural questions. Responses fit the STAR format. Classes and grades important.

Went through all the questions quickly and so continued the interview with a discussion of the company's culture, future goals and career paths.

Interview Questions

• Tell me your key strengths and competencies that set you apart from other students.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Company was very supportive in assisting with relocation.

Engineer Interview

Interview

Multiple interview process. One screener followed by on site interview.

Interview Questions

• Nothing really very straight forward behavioural questions   Answer Question

Negotiation

No neogotiation in acceptance of offer

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Imperial Oil (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in November 2011.

Interview

A first-round interview is conducted on campus. Once the decision is made to proceed. There will be a second-round interview. For this position, the second-round interview consists of three 1-hour long interviews with different members of the department (one from management, engineering, and controls). IOL flies you out to the office (Calgary) for the interviews and pays for your travels and board. The questions are behavioral based and can be challenging to offer different scenarios as supporting evidence, especially when you are ask so many questions over the 3-hour period.

Interview Questions

• Give me a example of a time you has to write technical documents for non-technical people.   Answer Question
    • Tell me a time you had to take a risk and it did not work out for you, what did you do?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Did not negotiate

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Imperial Oil (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in October 2011.

Interview

Interview consisted of a one on one session with a senior member of the company. Questions asked were mainly behavioral but the interview remained quite casual. Be prepared to answer the basic questions of give me a situation where you did X and Y happened.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a personal written accomplishment.   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Imperial Oil in November 2010.

Interview

100% behaviour based questions. Difficult to get a read on the personality of the company. They offer a very competitive salary, but they want you to be very open about moving job locations throughout your career. The locations are also not for everyone....isolated and undesirable. They fly you out to the interview location and pay for all expenses which is nice. A dinner/lunch is also included with recent hires of the company. Overall, everyone I met was very nice but nobody seemed energetic or enthusiastic about their job. The people seemed boring which matched the style of the interviews. Nothing but standardized behaviour questions that don't allow you to showcase how you'd fit in with the culture of the company. I'm not even sure what the culture of the company is...

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you were faced with an ethical dilemma and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Imperial Oil (Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in April 2008.

Interview

The interview was behavioral in nature . It consisted of situational questions . You must be knowing your past experiences and be able to explain them clearly in relation to the question asked . Make sure you use the STAR approach i.e Situation Task Action Result. The questions are general in nature and make sure that you do enough practice before applying.