Imperial Oil

5 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Engineer

Interviewed at Imperial Oil

Interview Details – Multiple interview process. One screener followed by on site interview.

Interview Question – Nothing really very straight forward behavioural questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No neogotiation in acceptance of offer

Engineering Interview

Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Imperial Oil in November 2011.

Interview Details – A first-round interview is conducted on campus. Once the decision is made to proceed. There will be a second-round interview. For this position, the second-round interview consists of three 1-hour long interviews with different members of the department (one from management, engineering, and controls). IOL flies you out to the office (Calgary) for the interviews and pays for your travels and board. The questions are behavioral based and can be challenging to offer different scenarios as supporting evidence, especially when you are ask so many questions over the 3-hour period.

Interview Questions

• Give me a example of a time you has to write technical documents for non-technical people.   Answer Question
  • Tell me a time you had to take a risk and it did not work out for you, what did you do?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Did not negotiate

Engineer
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Imperial Oil in October 2011.

Interview Details – Interview consisted of a one on one session with a senior member of the company. Questions asked were mainly behavioral but the interview remained quite casual. Be prepared to answer the basic questions of give me a situation where you did X and Y happened.

Interview Question – Give me an example of a personal written accomplishment.   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Imperial Oil in November 2010.

Interview Details – 100% behaviour based questions. Difficult to get a read on the personality of the company. They offer a very competitive salary, but they want you to be very open about moving job locations throughout your career. The locations are also not for everyone....isolated and undesirable. They fly you out to the interview location and pay for all expenses which is nice. A dinner/lunch is also included with recent hires of the company. Overall, everyone I met was very nice but nobody seemed energetic or enthusiastic about their job. The people seemed boring which matched the style of the interviews. Nothing but standardized behaviour questions that don't allow you to showcase how you'd fit in with the culture of the company. I'm not even sure what the culture of the company is...

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you were faced with an ethical dilemma and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Imperial Oil in April 2008.

Interview Details – The interview was behavioral in nature . It consisted of situational questions . You must be knowing your past experiences and be able to explain them clearly in relation to the question asked . Make sure you use the STAR approach i.e Situation Task Action Result. The questions are general in nature and make sure that you do enough practice before applying.

Interview Questions

Interviews for Top Jobs at Imperial Oil

Worked for Imperial Oil? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Imperial Oil Engineer interview questions and advice. All 5 interview reviews posted anonymously by Imperial Oil employees and interview candidates.