Imperial Oil

Updated Dec 6, 2014
Updated Dec 6, 2014

3.2

Engineering Co-Op Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Imperial Oil.

Basic behavioural interview questions asked (conflict etc.) using the STAR approach. Looking for company culture fit, academic background, and extra-curricular experiences. Took approximately 45 minutes of Q & A. The interviewer was very patient and attentive. No technical questions were asked. The interviewer was an experienced engineer on the team I was working with. I was very excited to work for the company after hearing more from the interviewer.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a project in which you had to take charge and lead others.   Answer Question

Research Chemist Interview

Sent down to Sarnia, ON, where a 3 hour interview was conducted on site. Interviewed by 4 different people separately at 45 minutes each. Everyone was generally very pleasant.

Interview Questions
    • Can you tell me about a time where you had a difficult time with a coworker.   Answer Question

Cost and Estimating Engineer Junior Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Imperial Oil in November 2014.

I applied online and then got an interview at uni. That interview was all behavioral based questions. After that I received a phone call about two weeks later asking me to fly in for a second interview. The interview was pretty straight forward. At first you get an overview of the job and position. Then you see an engineer where they give you a mock case and you talk through what you think the cost estimates would be and what things you would have to include. Then you meet with another engineer and read a bunch of fake emails and have to prioritize them and state your reasons why you decided that way. Next you meet the big boss and just chat. The last person who interviews you is your boss and they ask basic behavioral questions. Then you go for lunch with some of the other group. Just had interview recently so not sure if I have the job or not yet!

Process Designer Interview

Standard behavioral interview on campus. Interviewer was very nice and felt more like a friendly conversation than an interview. Interview was around 40 minutes and asked questions with an expected answer presented in the STAR format. They are definately big on grades as well as leadership and ability to adapt and learn quickly.

New Grad Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Campus (Philippines)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Campus (Philippines)

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Imperial Oil.

On Campus, behaviour based that lasts 45 mins, interviewer is extremely friendly. At end of the interview, an open question will be asked about your strength that has not been mentioned before

New Grad Engineer Interview

First interview is on campus for one hour, mainly behavioural based questions. Need to use STAR format to answer for around 10 to 12 questions. Interviewer was very friendly that created a relaxed atmosphere.

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Imperial Oil.

I received an email for an interview about 3-4 weeks after applying to the position online.

The interview was 1:1 located at my University campus and lasted for about an hour. The questions were all behavioural. The interviewer was an employee working at a different project. However, he was very knowledgeable and friendly.

I had a great time in this interview as the interviewer was very friendly and easy going. Right away he set a relaxed atmosphere.

I have only positive things to say in my interview experience.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you had to go beyond the call of duty?   Answer Question

Engineering Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Imperial Oil in September 2014.

The questions are all behavioural type, one-on-one at my university campus. The interviewer was very friendly. The interviewer gave me a background screening package right after the interview. The offer process was very long. It took me more than 4 weeks to actually get the offer package from the day when they phoned me to tell me I got the offer.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you worked on a very hard project.   Answer Question
    Did not negotiate.

Business Coop Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Imperial Oil in September 2014.

An hour long structured interview with two interviewers. Very friendly and made me feel relaxed. Focused on behavioural based questions. Interview occurred on campus. They provided their thoughts on the company and we're willing to answer my questions

Interview Questions
    Salary offered was great so I accepted

Mock Interviews Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Imperial Oil.

I participated in Mock interviews to prepare the company for on campus recruiting. Questions for interviews are all behavior based in nature. Such as "tell me about a time..." The interviewers were very good, and took notes throughout the interview. Some questions may be difficult for a new graduate to answer as they seemed experience based.