Imperial Oil

Updated Dec 6, 2014
Updated Dec 6, 2014

3.2

New Grad Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Imperial Oil in September 2011.

Applied online and was called for an interview after 2 weeks of deadline date. Interviewed by one person. Really nice and professional.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a small problem you caught before it turned into a huge problem?   View Answer

Facility Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at Imperial Oil in August 2013.

2 phone interview, conducted by HR, phone screen, each took 10 minutes. Scheduled for a month later with 3 technical, supervisory and manager interview sections; each took 1 hour at headquarter in Calgary.
    Mostly behavioral questions such as describe the situation, what you do, what was outcome.

Interview Questions
    • Manager interview was the hardest section, where the team supervisor said I can skip behavioral questions, and started to challenge with asking too many quick questions and describing the most unexpected things happened in the fields recently and asked about the recommended solutions.   Answer Question

New Graduate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Imperial Oil in October 2013.

First, you are called in for a behavioral interview at your home university. If you pass, you are asked to go to Calgary for a series of interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were mainly situation ones. Most of them started with give me an example when you:
      - had to deal with someone difficult in you team
      - had to communicate something technical to someone with a non-technical background, in writing
      - came up with a creative idea
      - solved a small problem before it became a big one

View Answers (2)

Engineering Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in St. John's, NL (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in St. John's, NL (Canada)

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Imperial Oil in June 2014.

The interview was mainly behavioural based. You have to give examples of the situation, how you solved it and the outcome. They also have questions about your past experience. They are not a lot of questions. I think there were at most 10-12 questions.

Interview Questions
    • What was the most challenging thing you have faced and why?   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Imperial Oil in February 2014.

Applied Online- Single 1 Hour interview on campus based on behavioural questions. Responses fit the STAR format. Classes and grades important.

Went through all the questions quickly and so continued the interview with a discussion of the company's culture, future goals and career paths.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me your key strengths and competencies that set you apart from other students.   Answer Question
    Company was very supportive in assisting with relocation.

Graduate EIT Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Imperial Oil.

1 - Campus job session
    2 - Online application
    3 - Interview notification throught the university career center
    4 - In-person interview, the interviewer is from the same city you applied from

Interview Questions
    • The interview is based up on behaviour questions, prepare as many as possible questions.   Answer Question

Technical Contact Engineering Student Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Imperial Oil.

I had an interview for a 4 month placement as a technical contact engineering student. The interview was one hour long. My interviewer was a chemical engineer who is a technical contact (I study chemical engineering). I had an overall good experience. The interview was very structured, my interviewer had a document with him with a list of questions and sections for comments and notes. The interview was broken up into different sections, such as teamwork and initiative.

Research Chemical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sarnia, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sarnia, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Imperial Oil in April 2010.

The interview consisted of a 45 minute presentation followed by 4 one-hour interviews with Engineering and Science department heads. It was followed by a short discussion with an HR representative (not actually part of the interview, just talk of benefits, etc). The department heads ask lots of behavioural questions taken from list of standard questions provided by corporate headquarters. A younger employee gives a very brief, quite insufficient tour, and is around to ask questions about Imperial Oil.

Interview Questions
    • What was a situation where you failed to achieve your stated goal?   Answer Question

Process Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Imperial Oil in October 2009.

The interview was behavioural based. It was only a 1hour interview that they use as a screening process. The interviewer informed that if I was to qualify for a second round, it would be for 3 hours on site.
    Questions were typical, how well you work in a team, how well are you able to manage conflict, what is your favourite/worst course, how well do you know the company, etc. etc.
    The important thing to remember is they expect you to answer using the STAR technique. Descripe the Situation or Task you had to perform, Action you took and what was the Results.

Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Imperial Oil in November 2010.

100% behaviour based questions. Difficult to get a read on the personality of the company. They offer a very competitive salary, but they want you to be very open about moving job locations throughout your career. The locations are also not for everyone....isolated and undesirable. They fly you out to the interview location and pay for all expenses which is nice. A dinner/lunch is also included with recent hires of the company. Overall, everyone I met was very nice but nobody seemed energetic or enthusiastic about their job. The people seemed boring which matched the style of the interviews. Nothing but standardized behaviour questions that don't allow you to showcase how you'd fit in with the culture of the company. I'm not even sure what the culture of the company is...

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you were faced with an ethical dilemma and how did you handle it?   Answer Question