Imperial Oil

71 candidate interviews

Very Difficult Interview

New Grad Engineer Interview

New Grad Engineer

I applied online - interviewed at Imperial Oil in September 2011.

Interview Details – Applied online and was called for an interview after 2 weeks of deadline date. Interviewed by one person. Really nice and professional.

Interview Question – Tell me about a small problem you caught before it turned into a huge problem?   View Answer

Facility Engineer Interview

Facility Engineer
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 7+ weeks - interviewed at Imperial Oil in August 2013.

Interview Details – 2 phone interview, conducted by HR, phone screen, each took 10 minutes. Scheduled for a month later with 3 technical, supervisory and manager interview sections; each took 1 hour at headquarter in Calgary.
Mostly behavioral questions such as describe the situation, what you do, what was outcome.

Interview Question – Manager interview was the hardest section, where the team supervisor said I can skip behavioral questions, and started to challenge with asking too many quick questions and describing the most unexpected things happened in the fields recently and asked about the recommended solutions.   Answer Question

New Graduate Interview

New Graduate

I applied online - interviewed at Imperial Oil in October 2013.

Interview Details – First, you are called in for a behavioral interview at your home university. If you pass, you are asked to go to Calgary for a series of interviews.

Interview Question – Questions were mainly situation ones. Most of them started with give me an example when you:
- had to deal with someone difficult in you team
- had to communicate something technical to someone with a non-technical background, in writing
- came up with a creative idea
- solved a small problem before it became a big one
  View Answers (2)

Engineering Co-Op Interview

Engineering Co-Op
St. John's, NL (Canada)

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Imperial Oil in June 2014.

Interview Details – The interview was mainly behavioural based. You have to give examples of the situation, how you solved it and the outcome. They also have questions about your past experience. They are not a lot of questions. I think there were at most 10-12 questions.

Interview Question – What was the most challenging thing you have faced and why?   Answer Question

Graduate EIT Interview

Graduate EIT

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Imperial Oil.

Interview Details – 1 - Campus job session
2 - Online application
3 - Interview notification throught the university career center
4 - In-person interview, the interviewer is from the same city you applied from

Interview Question – The interview is based up on behaviour questions, prepare as many as possible questions.   Answer Question

Technical Contact Engineering Student Interview

Technical Contact Engineering Student

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Imperial Oil.

Interview Details – I had an interview for a 4 month placement as a technical contact engineering student. The interview was one hour long. My interviewer was a chemical engineer who is a technical contact (I study chemical engineering). I had an overall good experience. The interview was very structured, my interviewer had a document with him with a list of questions and sections for comments and notes. The interview was broken up into different sections, such as teamwork and initiative.

Interview Question – - What type of work do you like the least?   Answer Question

Research Chemical Engineer Interview

Research Chemical Engineer
Sarnia, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Imperial Oil in April 2010.

Interview Details – The interview consisted of a 45 minute presentation followed by 4 one-hour interviews with Engineering and Science department heads. It was followed by a short discussion with an HR representative (not actually part of the interview, just talk of benefits, etc). The department heads ask lots of behavioural questions taken from list of standard questions provided by corporate headquarters. A younger employee gives a very brief, quite insufficient tour, and is around to ask questions about Imperial Oil.

Interview Question – What was a situation where you failed to achieve your stated goal?   Answer Question

Process Engineer Interview

Process Engineer

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Imperial Oil in October 2009.

Interview Details – The interview was behavioural based. It was only a 1hour interview that they use as a screening process. The interviewer informed that if I was to qualify for a second round, it would be for 3 hours on site.
Questions were typical, how well you work in a team, how well are you able to manage conflict, what is your favourite/worst course, how well do you know the company, etc. etc.
The important thing to remember is they expect you to answer using the STAR technique. Descripe the Situation or Task you had to perform, Action you took and what was the Results.

Interview Question – How did you deal with a difficult team member?   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Imperial Oil in November 2010.

Interview Details – 100% behaviour based questions. Difficult to get a read on the personality of the company. They offer a very competitive salary, but they want you to be very open about moving job locations throughout your career. The locations are also not for everyone....isolated and undesirable. They fly you out to the interview location and pay for all expenses which is nice. A dinner/lunch is also included with recent hires of the company. Overall, everyone I met was very nice but nobody seemed energetic or enthusiastic about their job. The people seemed boring which matched the style of the interviews. Nothing but standardized behaviour questions that don't allow you to showcase how you'd fit in with the culture of the company. I'm not even sure what the culture of the company is...

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you were faced with an ethical dilemma and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Engineering
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Imperial Oil in November 2011.

Interview Details – A first-round interview is conducted on campus. Once the decision is made to proceed. There will be a second-round interview. For this position, the second-round interview consists of three 1-hour long interviews with different members of the department (one from management, engineering, and controls). IOL flies you out to the office (Calgary) for the interviews and pays for your travels and board. The questions are behavioral based and can be challenging to offer different scenarios as supporting evidence, especially when you are ask so many questions over the 3-hour period.

Interview Questions

• Give me a example of a time you has to write technical documents for non-technical people.   Answer Question
  • Tell me a time you had to take a risk and it did not work out for you, what did you do?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Did not negotiate

Worked for Imperial Oil? Contribute to the Community!