Imperial Oil

Updated Dec 6, 2014
Updated Dec 6, 2014

3.2

Engineering Co-Op Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Imperial Oil.

Basic behavioural interview questions asked (conflict etc.) using the STAR approach. Looking for company culture fit, academic background, and extra-curricular experiences. Took approximately 45 minutes of Q & A. The interviewer was very patient and attentive. No technical questions were asked. The interviewer was an experienced engineer on the team I was working with. I was very excited to work for the company after hearing more from the interviewer.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a project in which you had to take charge and lead others.   Answer Question

Field Technician Co-op Student Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Imperial Oil in November 2010.

Applied online, interview was at career center at university, very long interview, behavioral questions, the interviewer was very casual. She was writing down all my answers. She also told me it is ok if I skip some questions we could go back to them at the end. Or you could say it was the same situation as another scenario.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were typical behavioral questions. but a lot of them   Answer Question

The location was too far and secluded.

Business Coop Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Imperial Oil in September 2014.

An hour long structured interview with two interviewers. Very friendly and made me feel relaxed. Focused on behavioural based questions. Interview occurred on campus. They provided their thoughts on the company and we're willing to answer my questions

Interview Questions
    Salary offered was great so I accepted

Territory Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Imperial Oil in November 2013.

I applied online (resume & cover letter) through my campus recruiting process. I graduated with an undergrad from the Ivey Business School. My first interview was on campus. After which, they assigned me a "buddy" a current employee at Imperial Oil who I could ask any questions to without having my stupidity get back to those interviewing me. The second interview was at their Toronto office. Two interviews with two different people. In between the two interviews, I spent the afternoon with 5 other candidates and our 2 buddies. They were also recruiting engineers and MBA students. After the interviews, we went to dinner and asked lots of questions. My second round interview was on Tuesday. I got a call on Friday offering me the job, so did my colleagues that were hired with me. Fast forward one year, I am now working at the company and I am now a buddy. I was under the impression all was confidential, but interviewers said if there were any "red flags", then I should tell them. I also want to add that the job they promised me (Territory Manager) was not the one I actually got. Instead any openings in those positions were taken up by my colleagues that were hired with me and veteran employees who wanted the Territory Manager Position. I basically got bumped and am now staying in the office. Imperial has a strong preference for engineers and MBAs, if you are a fresh business undergrad like me. Beware!

Interview Questions
    • All question were very straight forward. What did you do in your previous job? Mostly typical past behavioural type questions. Name a time you had to manage your time and what did you do? What was your favourite course and why? What was your least favourite course and why?   View Answer
    I did not negotiate, although I wanted to. They sent my offer to the address on my resume, which is a Toronto address. I was living in London for school at the time. By the time I got my offer, I had to just sign it and send it in.

Research Chemist Interview

Sent down to Sarnia, ON, where a 3 hour interview was conducted on site. Interviewed by 4 different people separately at 45 minutes each. Everyone was generally very pleasant.

Interview Questions
    • Can you tell me about a time where you had a difficult time with a coworker.   Answer Question

Geoscience Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Imperial Oil in June 2013.

There were two rounds of interview. First interview was general behavioral which took place at University of Calgary for me. After a month they get back to me with second round of interview which was a full day process. It was divided in three parts one hour each. First one was Behavioral, second one was with Manager with whom you will be working, third one was just a general chat with higher management. Interview process was nice, they also took me out for a lunch to a fancy place. All and all good experience.

Interview Questions
    • Whats your immigration status ? I am on work permit and they dont hire any one unless they canadian residency other than that interview was simple n straight.   Answer Question
    They gave me conditional offer to get Permanent residency in next few months. I am thankful to imperial for considering me for the position and giving me some time. But unfortunately my residency got delayed and offer was expired by the time I become permanent resident. But it was worth a shot. It was a great experience but if you are on workpermit in canada they wont hire you.

Engineering Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Imperial Oil in September 2014.

The questions are all behavioural type, one-on-one at my university campus. The interviewer was very friendly. The interviewer gave me a background screening package right after the interview. The offer process was very long. It took me more than 4 weeks to actually get the offer package from the day when they phoned me to tell me I got the offer.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you worked on a very hard project.   Answer Question
    Did not negotiate.

Cost and Estimating Engineer Junior Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Imperial Oil in November 2014.

I applied online and then got an interview at uni. That interview was all behavioral based questions. After that I received a phone call about two weeks later asking me to fly in for a second interview. The interview was pretty straight forward. At first you get an overview of the job and position. Then you see an engineer where they give you a mock case and you talk through what you think the cost estimates would be and what things you would have to include. Then you meet with another engineer and read a bunch of fake emails and have to prioritize them and state your reasons why you decided that way. Next you meet the big boss and just chat. The last person who interviews you is your boss and they ask basic behavioral questions. Then you go for lunch with some of the other group. Just had interview recently so not sure if I have the job or not yet!

Process Designer Interview

Standard behavioral interview on campus. Interviewer was very nice and felt more like a friendly conversation than an interview. Interview was around 40 minutes and asked questions with an expected answer presented in the STAR format. They are definately big on grades as well as leadership and ability to adapt and learn quickly.

Senior Procurement Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Imperial Oil in September 2011.

I had previous working experience with another affiliate of ExxonMobil Corporation which Imperial is also an affiliate of; thus, I already knew the company's culture and working philosophy. For that reason and considering I was being interviewed for a contract position, the interview process was very simple and it actually consisted of one phone interview with two people on the phone: my future supervisor and his boss.

Interview Questions
    • There were no real technical questions; the questions were more directed towards my previous procurement experience at that other affiliate of ExxonMobil Corporation.   Answer Question
    There was really no negotiation as the hourly rate offered was fair and competitive.