Imperial Oil Interview Questions

Updated Oct 24, 2014
Updated Oct 24, 2014

3.3

New Grad Engineer Interview

First interview is on campus for one hour, mainly behavioural based questions. Need to use STAR format to answer for around 10 to 12 questions. Interviewer was very friendly that created a relaxed atmosphere.

Engineering Co-Op Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Imperial Oil in May 2014.

I applied through their online career section, got an interview email within three weeks, The interviewer was very friendly. The whole interview was based on behavioral questions, STAR (Situation, Task, Action, Result) technique. Prepare as many questions as possible and a mock interview is recommended before the actual interview

New Grad Geologist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Imperial Oil in October 2013.

The first step, after the online application, was a short course, that was held in Calgary. Based on the performance of the applicants on this short course they invited people for the second interview, that was based in the Calgary downtown office and took approximately 4 hours. It had 5 parts, a standard interview part with motivational and behavioral questions; a technical presentation (by the applicant); a one-to-one talk with a senior G&G manager; a technical interview, with exercises and related questions, and a lunch with geoscientist. Unfortunately I didn't have time to prepare for the first part, which greatly influenced my overall performance.

Interview Questions
    • - Describe a situation where something you did was unsuccessful/not as expected, you had to make changes, what did you do, and what was the result?
      - Have you had a situation where you found a small problem/mistake that could have grown into a bigger one
        Answer Question

Engineering Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Imperial Oil in February 2014.

Applied Online- Single 1 Hour interview on campus based on behavioural questions. Responses fit the STAR format. Classes and grades important.

Went through all the questions quickly and so continued the interview with a discussion of the company's culture, future goals and career paths.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me your key strengths and competencies that set you apart from other students.   Answer Question
    Company was very supportive in assisting with relocation.

Management Trainee Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Imperial Oil in November 2013.

This was one of the most genuine and down to earth interviews I've ever had. I had a great connection with my interviewers. The questions were very standard behaviourals and they were being recorded down on a sheet with STAR method. My first round was held on campus and the questions actually asked a lot about school and academic work. I was very surprised when the interviewer actually referenced something I had written in my cover letter. The second round was on site in their Toronto office. It was very welcoming a series of three behavioural interviews very similar to the first round.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time when you were in an ethical dilemma and how did you deal with it   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Imperial Oil.

I received an email for an interview about 3-4 weeks after applying to the position online.

The interview was 1:1 located at my University campus and lasted for about an hour. The questions were all behavioural. The interviewer was an employee working at a different project. However, he was very knowledgeable and friendly.

I had a great time in this interview as the interviewer was very friendly and easy going. Right away he set a relaxed atmosphere.

I have only positive things to say in my interview experience.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you had to go beyond the call of duty?   Answer Question

Continuous Improvement- Co-op Student Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Imperial Oil in June 2014.

Applied through their website. Interview at co-op office. Behavioral interview. And the interview gets you the job.Have good marks and good application. This gets you the interview. And the interview gets you the job.

Mechanical Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Imperial Oil in October 2010.

For Campus Recruitment:
    One first round of interview is conducted at the school, if successful three second round interviews are conducted at one of their locations. All interviews are behavior based. If you have a decent range of past experiences (work and/or school) you should not have any issues answering the questions.

Interview Questions
    • N/A - all questions are similar behavior based questions   Answer Question
    Didn't seem very negotiable, not that it was required (compensation is excellent).

Procurement Associate Interview

interviewed at Imperial Oil in October 2013.

Applied for the position through New Grad program. Had first round interview on campus. The second interview was conducted about three weeks later on site with three managers. Had lunch at KEG with a nice guy from the procurement department.

Mock Interviews Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Imperial Oil.

I participated in Mock interviews to prepare the company for on campus recruiting. Questions for interviews are all behavior based in nature. Such as "tell me about a time..." The interviewers were very good, and took notes throughout the interview. Some questions may be difficult for a new graduate to answer as they seemed experience based.