Imperial Oil

69 candidate interviews

Construction Manager Interview

Construction Manager
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Imperial Oil in September 2012.

Interview Details – Full day interview process involving both current managers and functional manager. The downfall was having to participate in a luncheon with the other 3 gentlemen that were there for an interview as well. Awkward.

Interview Question – What do you know about Paraffinic Froth Treatment?.....?!?!?...   Answer Question

Engineering Co-Op Interview

Engineering Co-Op

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Imperial Oil.

Interview Details – Purely behavioral and situational questions. Nothing too difficult and rather standard questions such as tell us about an experience where you showed initiative. The interviewer did not have much knowledge about the position being applied for and the salary could not be discussed either.

Interview Question – What is your proudest achievement academically?   Answer Question

Mechanical Intern Interview

Mechanical Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Imperial Oil.

Interview Details – Applied through college website. Got a face to face interview which lasted one hour. Very structured interview as the interviewer asked questiones from a booklet and filled it in each I answered. Sometimes there was awkward silence as I waited for him to finish filling the blanks. Overall, it was pretty serious.

Interview Question – Name a course you liked the least and why?   Answer Question

New Grad Geology Interview

New Grad Geology
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Imperial Oil in October 2013.

Interview Details – #1: online CV/credentials submission
#2: 2-day workshop at Imperial Oil, flight, accommodation and expenses paid for by IO! The workshop was attended by ~30 other recruits, and there were 5 total workshops for the recruitment year. The workshop itself was very informative and fun. Lots of team work where you recruiters were interested to see how you worked as an individual, but also as part of a team.
#3: had to give information and consent for background checks in advance of second interview day
#4: second interview day on site (again, flight, accommodation etc paid for). This day consisted of several formal interviews. First a standard behavioral interview, then you have to give a technical presentation , then technical interview (real-life problem to assess your problem solving skills and how you think), then business interview. All four interviews last ~1 hour. At the end of the day two recruiters take you out for dinner with another interviewee.
#5: if you're lucky, an offer.

Interview Question – Several behavioral type questions that were new to me, but as long as you're quick thinking on your feet you should be fine.   Answer Question

Engineering Co-Op Interview

Engineering Co-Op
St. John's, NL (Canada)

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Imperial Oil in June 2014.

Interview Details – The interview was mainly behavioural based. You have to give examples of the situation, how you solved it and the outcome. They also have questions about your past experience. They are not a lot of questions. I think there were at most 10-12 questions.

Interview Question – What was the most challenging thing you have faced and why?   Answer Question

Upstream Engineer - Campus Hire Interview

Upstream Engineer - Campus Hire
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Imperial Oil.

Interview Details – The hiring process begins with an online application where your resume and cover letter are submitted. in approximately 2 weeks Imperial Oil gets back to you about a first round interview. The initial screening seems to look for strong grades and previous oil and gas experience (through co-op terms/internships). THe 1st interview is on school campus and lasts approximately 45 minutes. If you get past this you are invited to Calgary for three 2nd round interviews with the group that you would potentially join. The interviews are all behavioural in nature.

Interview Question – Which written assignment are you proudest of?   Answer Question

Technical Contact Engineering Student Interview

Technical Contact Engineering Student

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Imperial Oil.

Interview Details – I had an interview for a 4 month placement as a technical contact engineering student. The interview was one hour long. My interviewer was a chemical engineer who is a technical contact (I study chemical engineering). I had an overall good experience. The interview was very structured, my interviewer had a document with him with a list of questions and sections for comments and notes. The interview was broken up into different sections, such as teamwork and initiative.

Interview Question – - What type of work do you like the least?   Answer Question

Graduate EIT Interview

Graduate EIT

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Imperial Oil.

Interview Details – 1 - Campus job session
2 - Online application
3 - Interview notification throught the university career center
4 - In-person interview, the interviewer is from the same city you applied from

Interview Question – The interview is based up on behaviour questions, prepare as many as possible questions.   Answer Question

Retail Project Coordinator (Summer Student) Interview

Retail Project Coordinator (Summer Student)
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Imperial Oil in February 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and the entire process took around 3 weeks. Very straightforward interview. Was located at their office in Toronto, a one on one with the supervisor for about an hour. All questions were behavioural, interviewer made the setting very comfortable.

Interview Question – What is your favourite/least favourite course at school?   Answer Question

Maintenance Reliability (Coop Student) Interview

Maintenance Reliability (Coop Student)
Calgary, AB (Canada)

Interview Details – One interview, they flew me from Toronto to Calgary for the interview, Mostly using the STAR technique looking for full page answers, interviewer was the supervisor himself and one HR guy, mostly typical questions like A situation where you took initiative / innovation, What is your biggest accomplishment?, Tell me a time when you had to adapt to changing conditions, What did you like least about working at your previous job?, what are your favorite courses?

Interview Question – "What maintenance and reliability activities have you done in past?"   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Imperial Oil

Worked for Imperial Oil? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Imperial Oil interview questions and advice. All 69 interview reviews posted anonymously by Imperial Oil employees and interview candidates.