Imperial Oil Interview Questions

Updated Sep 15, 2014
Updated Sep 15, 2014

3.3

New Grad Geoscientist Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Imperial Oil.

Applied via university, 1st round of interview was held on campus focusing on behavioural questions and your resume in October. 2nd round of interview was held two weeks later that includes a presentation, behavioural interviews and meeting the manager.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really in particular, typical behaviourla quesiton   Answer Question

Field Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Imperial Oil.

Interviewer was nice and polite. All questions were Situation, Task, Action, and Result but you only had to answer a certain number and could pass questions.

Sales Operations Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Imperial Oil.

Interview was composed of a series of behavioral questions. It was done in a conversational setting in an attempt understand if my skills and experiences are relevant to position. I found the overall process to be very professional and fair.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions. They were precise questions pushing me to draw from my previous professional and academic experience to relate to the position.   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Graduate Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Imperial Oil.

I was interviewed for the Graduate Mech Engineer position at a refinery. The person interviewing me an Engineer, who told me that he had volunteered himself to do the interviews.

The entire process went for an hour. I was asked the following;
    Why did I want to work at Imperial?
    What were my strengths and weaknesses?
    What aspects did I not like about my previous jobs/internships?
    A time when I went beyond what was required in the course at University?
    A time when I had to present a technical document to a non-technical audience?
    A time when I wrote a non-technical document for a general audience?

Interview Questions
    • Time when I worked difficult person; how did I deal with it?   Answer Question

New Graduate Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online - interviewed at Imperial Oil.

I have applied at the company website and got a call for an interview after 3 weeks. They asked me some general questions. This was all about behavioural questions. I answered confidently but did not get any reply from them

Intern Interview

I got an opportunity through campus recruitment. Interview was pretty straight forward. All questions are based on behaviours. Most of questions are STAR format. The interview is for an hour long. An interviewer will write down your answers based on the information that you provide. The interviewer is not the one who makes a decision to be hired. HR department will decide based on your answer sheet.

Interview Questions
    • What was the most challenge task that you had to deal with when you had a strict deadline.   Answer Question

Engineer New Grad Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Imperial Oil.

A 45 minute interview on campus first, and then was asked to come to Calgary for three more 45 minute interviews. All questions were behaviour based - STAR format. The interviewers were very friendly, and I was matched with a "interview buddy" who took me to lunch and showed me around.

Interview Questions
    • Why did you pick your stream of engineering and how do you think it would help you in this position?   Answer Question

New Grad Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Imperial Oil in November 2013.

It was a behavioral interview.
    Give an example when you used creativity to solve a problem.
    Give an example of when you didn't achieve your objective.
    Tell about a time when you had to make an unpopular decision.
    Give an example of when you made a mistake or poor decision and how you handled it.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you sell an idea to a supervisor or teacher.   Answer Question

New Grad Engineer Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Imperial Oil in September 2011.

Applied online and was called for an interview after 2 weeks of deadline date. Interviewed by one person. Really nice and professional.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a small problem you caught before it turned into a huge problem?   View Answer

New Graduate Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Imperial Oil in October 2013.

First, you are called in for a behavioral interview at your home university. If you pass, you are asked to go to Calgary for a series of interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were mainly situation ones. Most of them started with give me an example when you:
      - had to deal with someone difficult in you team
      - had to communicate something technical to someone with a non-technical background, in writing
      - came up with a creative idea
      - solved a small problem before it became a big one
        View Answers (2)