Imperial Oil Interview Questions

Updated Sep 30, 2014

3.3

New Graduate Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online – interviewed at Imperial Oil.

I have applied at the company website and got a call for an interview after 3 weeks. They asked me some general questions. This was all about behavioural questions. I answered confidently but did not get any reply from them

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Imperial Oil.

I got an opportunity through campus recruitment. Interview was pretty straight forward. All questions are based on behaviours. Most of questions are STAR format. The interview is for an hour long. An interviewer will write down your answers based on the information that you provide. The interviewer is not the one who makes a decision to be hired. HR department will decide based on your answer sheet.

Interview Questions
    • What was the most challenge task that you had to deal with when you had a strict deadline.   Answer Question

Engineer New Grad Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Imperial Oil.

A 45 minute interview on campus first, and then was asked to come to Calgary for three more 45 minute interviews. All questions were behaviour based - STAR format. The interviewers were very friendly, and I was matched with a "interview buddy" who took me to lunch and showed me around.

Interview Questions
    • Why did you pick your stream of engineering and how do you think it would help you in this position?   Answer Question

New Grad Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Imperial Oil in November 2013.

It was a behavioral interview.
    Give an example when you used creativity to solve a problem.
    Give an example of when you didn't achieve your objective.
    Tell about a time when you had to make an unpopular decision.
    Give an example of when you made a mistake or poor decision and how you handled it.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you sell an idea to a supervisor or teacher.   Answer Question

Management Trainee Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Imperial Oil in November 2013.

This was one of the most genuine and down to earth interviews I've ever had. I had a great connection with my interviewers. The questions were very standard behaviourals and they were being recorded down on a sheet with STAR method. My first round was held on campus and the questions actually asked a lot about school and academic work. I was very surprised when the interviewer actually referenced something I had written in my cover letter. The second round was on site in their Toronto office. It was very welcoming a series of three behavioural interviews very similar to the first round.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time when you were in an ethical dilemma and how did you deal with it   Answer Question

Business and Technical Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Imperial Oil.

Imperial Oil is a great company with great people. My interview was an hour long and consist of all behavioral questions. They are trying to get a sense of who you are and how you respond to situations, nothing tricky. Went through on-campus recruitment and was only 1 round for summer intern position.

New Graduate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Imperial Oil in October 2013.

First, you are called in for a behavioral interview at your home university. If you pass, you are asked to go to Calgary for a series of interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were mainly situation ones. Most of them started with give me an example when you:
      - had to deal with someone difficult in you team
      - had to communicate something technical to someone with a non-technical background, in writing
      - came up with a creative idea
      - solved a small problem before it became a big one
        View Answers (2)

New Grad Geology Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Imperial Oil in October 2013.

#1: online CV/credentials submission
    #2: 2-day workshop at Imperial Oil, flight, accommodation and expenses paid for by IO! The workshop was attended by ~30 other recruits, and there were 5 total workshops for the recruitment year. The workshop itself was very informative and fun. Lots of team work where you recruiters were interested to see how you worked as an individual, but also as part of a team.
    #3: had to give information and consent for background checks in advance of second interview day
    #4: second interview day on site (again, flight, accommodation etc paid for). This day consisted of several formal interviews. First a standard behavioral interview, then you have to give a technical presentation , then technical interview (real-life problem to assess your problem solving skills and how you think), then business interview. All four interviews last ~1 hour. At the end of the day two recruiters take you out for dinner with another interviewee.
    #5: if you're lucky, an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Several behavioral type questions that were new to me, but as long as you're quick thinking on your feet you should be fine.   Answer Question

Procurement Associate Interview

interviewed at Imperial Oil in October 2013.

Applied for the position through New Grad program. Had first round interview on campus. The second interview was conducted about three weeks later on site with three managers. Had lunch at KEG with a nice guy from the procurement department.

New Grad Geologist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Imperial Oil in October 2013.

The first step, after the online application, was a short course, that was held in Calgary. Based on the performance of the applicants on this short course they invited people for the second interview, that was based in the Calgary downtown office and took approximately 4 hours. It had 5 parts, a standard interview part with motivational and behavioral questions; a technical presentation (by the applicant); a one-to-one talk with a senior G&G manager; a technical interview, with exercises and related questions, and a lunch with geoscientist. Unfortunately I didn't have time to prepare for the first part, which greatly influenced my overall performance.

Interview Questions
    • - Describe a situation where something you did was unsuccessful/not as expected, you had to make changes, what did you do, and what was the result?
      - Have you had a situation where you found a small problem/mistake that could have grown into a bigger one
        Answer Question