In-N-Out Burger

Updated Dec 16, 2014
Updated Dec 16, 2014

2.4

Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at In-N-Out Burger.

A new store opened in my town. Thousands of people were interviewed during a one week period. The interviews were held in the banquet hall of a nearby hotel. The hall was divided into three different sections. I had three interviews on the spot. The first, you walk in and sit at a table. The second, you enter a new room, where you are interviewed by another manager. The third, you are interviewed by a panel of three people, store manager, supervisor etc.

Interview Questions
    • The most important thing is to be very friendly and smile. Smiles and friendliness are extremely important to this company. There were no difficult questions.   Answer Question

Store Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at In-N-Out Burger in June 2014.

If you want an interview, the regional specialist said that you needed to apply online, but you will only get an interview if you go into the store and introduce yourself to the manager. They won't offer you an interview otherwise; my case was rather rare. He said you need to be persistent and bug the manager until they give you an interview. Also, having references from someone working there helps a lot.

I applied online and about 3 weeks later got an email inviting me to a group interview at 8:30 AM the following Saturday. There were 28 people that showed up in all. We were interviewed by the regional specialist. He said that if we were hired, we would train for 3 months at the store that we applied at, then would be transfered to a new location that was opening soon, which was a surprise. Then he took us outside in groups of 6 or 8, where he asked one question to each individual person, then one question open to the group. At the end of that, to the candidates that he didn't like, he said thank you and if you don't hear back from us in a few days, then the position has been filled. After they left, we went back inside and waited for him to interview the rest of the candidates. Then, 12 people were left and we all went outside and he asked group questions that anyone could answer. He talked a lot about what is value, how would you handle a situation if.., then when we were done he took our names down and gave us a time to come to a 1 on 1 interview the next day. He gave that interview to 10 out of the 12 people.

Interview Questions
    • The first round was to basically weed out people. He just wanted to see that you had good body language, know how to answer questions (don't go on tangents or speak just to say something) and SMILE. Questions I remember are: "Give an example of how you had to persuade someone?" "What makes you happy?" "What do you enjoy doing most at work or school?" "What is one quality that you could change about yourself to make you a better leader?" "What is a time that you have received feedback?" "Give an example of a stressful situation that you have been in." "Give an example of you having been a leader."

The second phase was more of a conversation. He wanted to know what it meant to value something, good qualities of a leader, what would you do if you needed to make sure that there weren't any, say, cigarette burns on the trash can lid.

Answer Question

Associate Level V Interview

Completed an online application, received an invitation to an interview the day after. It was a walk-in, group interview, sat with 3 other applicants. Typical STAR questions, "Tell me about a time when..." questions. The interviewer threw the question in the air to see who would answer it first.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you were shown or you provided excellent customer service.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at In-N-Out Burger in June 2014.

Had my friend refer me and I got my interview the next day. It was a two round interview that were two days apart. One with the shift manager and the second with the store manager.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

I applied online and received a phone call 2-3 weeks later. I was given a time to come in to the restaurant. When I came in, I asked one of the associates to let the manager know I was there. I then took a seat and waited. The associate I had talked to earlier came by and told me that sometimes they make you wait. I guess they want to see how dedicated you are. About 20 minutes after the scheduled time, the manager and assistant manager came out. We sat in a booth for the interview, and I was asked pretty standard questions, "Tell me about yourself", etc. They said they needed to hire several employees. I guess by the middle of June all their employees (college kids) have left town and they need new people to work. The managers seemed nice enough.

Interview Questions
    • If offered a job, how long do you plan to work here?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Maria, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Maria, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at In-N-Out Burger in May 2014.

I applied online and took in my resume the next day. A few employees referred me. The next day I received a call and was asked to come in for an interview that day. The first interview went really well. My interviewer was super nice and made me feel comfortable. Her questions covered my work experience, school (favorite classes in high school), college class schedule, personal qualities, customer service, and how I deal with angry customers. I was then invited to come back for a second interview, and this is where things got messed up. I was initially told Monday, but then she asked if Tuesday would work. I said yes and I wrote down the time and day, which was Tuesday at 3:00. Later that day I turned down an interview from another company who wanted me to come at the exact same time, which could not be changed. I decided to pursue In-N-Out.

I come in on Tuesday, and the first thing I hear is "you were the guy who was supposed to come yesterday." I did not want to argue, so I did not explain myself. I just said I was told today at 3:00. Employees on their break were looking over at me and laughing when I took a seat, so I was pretty thrown off for the interview. It felt like a casual conversation. I was asked about specific classes I was taking, to tell her about myself, and was not asked why I chose In-N-Out, about customer service, or about my work experience. At the end she said I would hear from her in a few days, but I didn't. It was just an unfortunate mix-up.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult, but the one I struggled the most with was, "tell me about yourself."   Answer Question

Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at In-N-Out Burger in May 2014.

Applied online on a Sunday, got a call on Wednesday for an interview the next day. Wore a white polo with some jeans, got there about 15 minutes early. The cashier had me write my name down and told me to sit at a table and he'd come to me. So about 5-10 minutes later, this young looking guy comes out and the first thing he asks is tell me about yourself. Then he asked questions about my availability, extra curricular activities, my best trait, my worst trait, why I want to work there etc. it took about 10 minutes at most. He told me he wanted to see me hired so he set me up for an interview with the store manager on Monday. So on Monday, I come in with the same polo and now some khakis, reading for this interview. It's set for 4:45 but I get tree at 4:30. I tell the cashier and sit at a table and no one has come out by 5:30, so I ask some worker whose mopping the floor. She tells the manager and 5 minutes later he comes out and apologizes and says that there was a shift change and the cashier forgot to tell him. So he has me sit outside with him and asks me about the same stuff except he also asked me about what characteristic I would bring to in n out, how I used my communication skills to work as a team, etc. my answers were alright but not as great as they could have been(maybe since I got bored from the wait). So by the end, when he asked if I had questions, I asked him how he got to his position, if it's hard to learn the ropes, and what the next step is from here. He told me that he has other interviews over the course of this week and the next so he'll call by the end of next week to tell me where I'm at. I don't really expect a call since there's more qualified people(I'm a 16 year old junior), but I might so oh well.

Interview Questions
    • What's your beat trait?   View Answer
    • On the flip side, if you had a magic wand and could is something about yourself, what would it be?(it was actually worded like this)   View Answer

Cashier Interview

I did the online application got called 3 days later with a interview. Did one interview with a girl she was really nice. The first interview I got asked why I wanted to work their. Where I see myself in a couple of years. My work experience. After that I was set up with a second interview with the store manager. The store manager basically asked me the same questions but a few new ones like my goals in life but he also did ask why I wanted to work their. At the end of the second interview he told me that if he didn't call by 6 PM that the position was filled. When he said that I knew I didn't get the job. Nice people though.

Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at In-N-Out Burger in April 2014.

Apply online, then go to the location on the specified day (from the website) and wait to be interviewed. Standard behavioral questions are asked; tell me about a time...; what would you do if....; etc. Tell about previous job history and future goals.

Level I Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Temecula, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Temecula, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at In-N-Out Burger.

Ask to give your resume to the manager, you might have to wait a while for him/her to be available (especially during a rush, come around 4/430). If you are in high school and have good grades attach a transcript to your resume. The first interview is with the 2nd or 3rd manager and the last interview is with the store manager. All the questions are pretty basic, want to know how long you can commit for, if you want to grow in the company, your work ethic, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Not very hard questions at all, I think the most difficult was "What is a difficult situation you have been in and how did you over come it?"   Answer Question
    No, it is pretty structured. You start with cleaning the dining room and work your way up.