Independent Capital Management Interview Questions

Updated Feb 26, 2015

2.0

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Independent Capital Management.

Interview

very straightforward and generic. It's about whom you can bring as clients. During the group presentation session, although the speaker was trying to make it sound like one would not need cold-calling to be successful, it was pretty obvious down the line that you would need to make a lot of cold calling in order to be competitive in the field.

Interview Questions

Independent Capital Management Response

Apr 30, 2015CMO, VP

ICM does not teach our reps to make cold calls. Our new reps will be taught to use referrals

Management Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Independent Capital Management (San Diego, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Excellent learning experience about the financial services industry. They explained why it is important to educate prospects about time value of money and other financial concepts. I learned many new ideas about running a successful practice.

Interview Questions

• What is your area most challenging for you: phone, closing, referrals?   1 Answer

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Independent Capital Management.

Interview

Straightforward, mostly a group presentation. First and second interviews were about two hours long. Expected more one on one, but the process was nice regardless. Pay structure was *throughly* detailed, no questions about who gets how much after second interview.

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Independent Capital Management.

Interview

The process was quick and direct and got straight to the details without wasting weeks filled with interviews and 3rd, 4th, 5th interviews. They were informative about what to expect and what could be expected from you once hired.

Interview Questions

• The industry is highly regulated so expect personal questions.   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Independent Capital Management.

Interview

They called me in for the initial interview which was a group interview at first. The manager goes over what their company is about, what licenses you need in order to work for them, and the pay system. Then, I went to a different room to have my one-on-one interview where the manager asked me more about my experiences.

Interview Questions

• Just the generic interview questions. Also, if I am comfortable with cold calling.   Answer Question

I did not feel that it was for me.

Financial Services Specialist/Management Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

The process took a weekinterviewed at Independent Capital Management (San Diego, CA) in December 2014.

Interview

1st, we had a group of people listen to an overview of the company and then 1x1 taken aside to be asked 2-3 questions about our background and interest in the company based on what i heard in the group presentation. I was asked to return the next day for a 2nd interview w/ my references and written application. the 2nd interview was a Q&A session with 3 candidates and the hiring manager. He spent a lot of time on the pay structure (commissions). Then i was called aside to have a short meeting individually with the hiring manager. Kevin Yoneda asked me if I had a good support system because I could realistically expect to receive a paycheck after 2 months and needed to be able to focus on studying for the various exams to get licensed. $395 to pay for licensing to be reimbursed after 6 months. He said I'd know by the end of the day whether or not I'd get an offer. Sure enough, 4 hours later, I got a call with a job offer.

Interview Questions

• Do I have a good support system at home?   1 Answer

Negotiation

none. it's a commission sales position. cold calling is optional if you don't want to involve your family/friends. better than unemployment. at least i'm learning something new. great potential for the right person.

Financial Services Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Independent Capital Management (San Diego, CA).

Interview

Went in expecting an individual interview just to be brought into a group "seminar" in which they sold the company instead of listening to us sell ourselves. It was extremely odd. At the end, they asked each person a couple questions individually and passed us to the next round (the individual interview). The individual interview was also extremely simple- the question that made me question everything was when they asked us who we would sell our services to. They basically want to use our personal contacts which I am not willing to do.

Training does not seem strong, do not pay during training, expect you to live off nothing & have to give money for licenses up front. Also, selling to our personal contacts.

Financial Services Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ontario, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Independent Capital Management (Ontario, CA).

Interview

Got an invitation from the career fair, showed up to the interview. There was a group interview with 6 people. First of all, we had to fill a form. After that, we had an one-hour presentation about how the company worked. Plus 1-2 mins for and individual interview. 2-3 questions and you are free to go.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Independent Capital Management in November 2014.

Interview

NOTE: This is for the San Diego office, but from what I've heard this type of process is consistent throughout all their offices

Initially, I submitted an application online via my university's career center. After I didn't hear back for a week or so I called to check in on my application. Right away they responded with "Can I schedule an interview?" which was alarming, but nonetheless what I was trying to achieve.

A week later I traveled down to the SD office for my interview, what I found was a (very) small conference room full of 12-15 of us where they basically pitched us the company and why we should want to work for them. This caught me off-guard, as many times when a company is selling you their company instead of the other way around, it's a red flag. Eventually they pulled us each into a private office where they conducted their "first round interviews." Here they asked us 2 questions, and 2 questions only, which are listed below.

I decided not to pursue the second round interview because I got a weird vibe from this company. It just seemed like they were shotgun hiring, and eventually keeping the strong and letting the weak fall off. Just wasn't what I was looking for.

Interview Questions

• How do you see yourself fitting at ICM?   1 Answer
    • Why do you want to be an financial advisor?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Independent Capital Management in August 2014.

Interview

I found out about the job from the career center at my University. After sending them my Resume they seem interested and set up an interview.
    The interview process consisted of two rounds of interviews. The first day started with a group interview in which they explained what they did. They then split us up and conducted individual interviews. They mostly seemed focused on whether I had a group of potential clients I could bring in immediately. They let me know right away that they wanted me to come back for the second round.
    The second interview started with another group interview. This one was focused on going over the pay structure. They then split us up again and allowed us to ask any questions.

I was offered the job 2 days later.

Their primary concern throughout the process seemed to be my ability to target my friends and family as new customers. This company is really set up as a MLM company. There is nothing inherently wrong with that, just know what you're getting into. If you are looking for a salaried position and income security this is not the company for you. If you feel confident in your sales abilities, already have a large base of potential customers, and believe you can get the to give you referrals then ICM is worth considering.