Independent Capital Management

Updated Dec 15, 2014
Updated Dec 15, 2014

1.9

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Independent Capital Management.

They called me in for the initial interview which was a group interview at first. The manager goes over what their company is about, what licenses you need in order to work for them, and the pay system. Then, I went to a different room to have my one-on-one interview where the manager asked me more about my experiences.

Interview Questions
    • Just the generic interview questions. Also, if I am comfortable with cold calling.   Answer Question

I did not feel that it was for me.

Financial Services Specialist/Management Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

The process took a weekinterviewed at Independent Capital Management in December 2014.

1st, we had a group of people listen to an overview of the company and then 1x1 taken aside to be asked 2-3 questions about our background and interest in the company based on what i heard in the group presentation. I was asked to return the next day for a 2nd interview w/ my references and written application. the 2nd interview was a Q&A session with 3 candidates and the hiring manager. He spent a lot of time on the pay structure (commissions). Then i was called aside to have a short meeting individually with the hiring manager. Kevin Yoneda asked me if I had a good support system because I could realistically expect to receive a paycheck after 2 months and needed to be able to focus on studying for the various exams to get licensed. $395 to pay for licensing to be reimbursed after 6 months. He said I'd know by the end of the day whether or not I'd get an offer. Sure enough, 4 hours later, I got a call with a job offer.

Interview Questions
    • Do I have a good support system at home?   View Answer
    none. it's a commission sales position. cold calling is optional if you don't want to involve your family/friends. better than unemployment. at least i'm learning something new. great potential for the right person.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Independent Capital Management.

Went in expecting an individual interview just to be brought into a group "seminar" in which they sold the company instead of listening to us sell ourselves. It was extremely odd. At the end, they asked each person a couple questions individually and passed us to the next round (the individual interview). The individual interview was also extremely simple- the question that made me question everything was when they asked us who we would sell our services to. They basically want to use our personal contacts which I am not willing to do.

Training does not seem strong, do not pay during training, expect you to live off nothing & have to give money for licenses up front. Also, selling to our personal contacts.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ontario, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ontario, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Independent Capital Management.

Got an invitation from the career fair, showed up to the interview. There was a group interview with 6 people. First of all, we had to fill a form. After that, we had an one-hour presentation about how the company worked. Plus 1-2 mins for and individual interview. 2-3 questions and you are free to go.

Financial Services Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Independent Capital Management in August 2014.

I found out about the job from the career center at my University. After sending them my Resume they seem interested and set up an interview.
    The interview process consisted of two rounds of interviews. The first day started with a group interview in which they explained what they did. They then split us up and conducted individual interviews. They mostly seemed focused on whether I had a group of potential clients I could bring in immediately. They let me know right away that they wanted me to come back for the second round.
    The second interview started with another group interview. This one was focused on going over the pay structure. They then split us up again and allowed us to ask any questions.

I was offered the job 2 days later.

Their primary concern throughout the process seemed to be my ability to target my friends and family as new customers. This company is really set up as a MLM company. There is nothing inherently wrong with that, just know what you're getting into. If you are looking for a salaried position and income security this is not the company for you. If you feel confident in your sales abilities, already have a large base of potential customers, and believe you can get the to give you referrals then ICM is worth considering.

Financial Advisor/Management Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Independent Capital Management in July 2014.

It's true what most people say about the company on glassdoor. It's basically a cattle call, anyone who submits a resume will be called back for an "interview". The first interview is a group interview and a manager will give a presentation for an hour trying to convince the job seekers that it's an ideal position that make a lot of money potentially blah blah blah it's reverse psychology the way they phrase things. Bottom line: for the first few months YOU ARE NOT PAID FOR TRAINING plus YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR YOUR OWN LICENSING (they claim that's they'll reimburse you for the license "if" they offer you a job later"). So pretty much if you stick around to take their months of classes and pay for your license but they decide not to offer you a job then you're pretty much screwed with wasting all that time and you have a license for no reason. Also, the company should not be pitching the job to the people who interview, it should be the interviewee selling themselves to the interviewer. They ask you who you'll sell to first and who you know, because that's who you'll be badgering with calls. If you eventually get hired it's commission-based. All the people who came for the interview were recent grads because those kids are the ones who don't know any better to look out for red flags.Most people apply because it looks easy and attractive to get a job title of "Financial Advisor" or "Financial Manager" but it's just a fancy schmancy word for sales associate. After the group interview, each person will have a chance for an individual interview. When I had my personal interview the guy said he liked me right away and asked me to come back the following day, I said I would go just to be nice but I never showed up.The personal interview did not even ask me anything about myself, they just asked one question "Why do you think the job would be a good fit for you?". The building that they were located in San Diego was also nice, but the catch is you probably won't even work in the office because it's teeny tiny. It's the size of a closet so you'll probably have to work from another location.The people at the company were friendly though, at least that's a plus.

Interview Questions
    • They only asked one question because they spent the whole hour trying to convince (beg) people to work for them.   Answer Question

It's pretty much a scam. You don't get paid for training, plus you have to pay for your license. You get paid by commission months later if you're lucky enough to make a sale. If don't sell anything you're screwed.

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Independent Capital Management.

You enter the building and once you state that you are there for an interview, the receptionist leads you to a conference room. You sit according to the order that you arrive so I suggest you arrive fairly early - roughly 30 minutes earlier should be fine. The first part is not really an interview its more of a presentation with about 8-10 other people where you are introduced to the company and some of its offered services.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beverly Hills, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Independent Capital Management in April 2014.

Applied online, 2 Interviews, Cattle call
    Their presentation is too simplistic and I just didn't feel comfortable.
    Distinct lack of professionalism in the hiring process though: I clearly stated in my resume that I was an international students but they waited until the end of the second interview to tell me that they don't sponsor.
    ZERO investment in their future employees: you have to pay for all the licences fees. If you really wanna work with them you have to accept some sacrifices which I don't think is worth it, mostly for people who don't believe in you and who just want their commission on the deals you get with your clients.
    I do not recommend at all

Interview Questions
    • Why ICM ?
      What would be your first clients ? (Because if you don't have any we can't stop here)

View Answer

Financial Advisor/Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beverly Hills, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Independent Capital Management.

The first interview is a group interview. This gives us a chance to meet you face to face to see if you'd be a good fit for us as well as to give you a chance to determine whether or not you see a career for yourself here.

The second interview is one on one and lasts about 2 hours. You learn a little bit more about how compensation works and you really get a chance to ask questions about ICM.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Torrance, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Torrance, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Independent Capital Management in December 2013.

One interview. Lasted over an hour was a really thought provoking interview. If you are going into this field I was suggest interviewing here just to see what is out there.