Independent Capital Management Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 21, 2014
19 interviews

1.9

Financial Services Specialist Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Independent Capital Management in August 2014.

I found out about the job from the career center at my University. After sending them my Resume they seem interested and set up an interview.
    The interview process consisted of two rounds of interviews. The first day started with a group interview in which they explained what they did. They then split us up and conducted individual interviews. They mostly seemed focused on whether I had a group of potential clients I could bring in immediately. They let me know right away that they wanted me to come back for the second round.
    The second interview started with another group interview. This one was focused on going over the pay structure. They then split us up again and allowed us to ask any questions.

I was offered the job 2 days later.

Their primary concern throughout the process seemed to be my ability to target my friends and family as new customers. This company is really set up as a MLM company. There is nothing inherently wrong with that, just know what you're getting into. If you are looking for a salaried position and income security this is not the company for you. If you feel confident in your sales abilities, already have a large base of potential customers, and believe you can get the to give you referrals then ICM is worth considering.

Anonymous Employee  in  Beverly Hills, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Beverly Hills, CA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Independent Capital Management in April 2014.

Applied online, 2 Interviews, Cattle call
    Their presentation is too simplistic and I just didn't feel comfortable.
    Distinct lack of professionalism in the hiring process though: I clearly stated in my resume that I was an international students but they waited until the end of the second interview to tell me that they don't sponsor.
    ZERO investment in their future employees: you have to pay for all the licences fees. If you really wanna work with them you have to accept some sacrifices which I don't think is worth it, mostly for people who don't believe in you and who just want their commission on the deals you get with your clients.
    I do not recommend at all

Interview Questions
    • Why ICM ?
      What would be your first clients ? (Because if you don't have any we can't stop here)
        View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Torrance, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Torrance, CA

I interviewed online - interviewed at Independent Capital Management in December 2013.

One interview. Lasted over an hour was a really thought provoking interview. If you are going into this field I was suggest interviewing here just to see what is out there.

Financial Advisor Interview

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at Independent Capital Management.

You enter the building and once you state that you are there for an interview, the receptionist leads you to a conference room. You sit according to the order that you arrive so I suggest you arrive fairly early - roughly 30 minutes earlier should be fine. The first part is not really an interview its more of a presentation with about 8-10 other people where you are introduced to the company and some of its offered services.

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Beverly Hills, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beverly Hills, CA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Independent Capital Management in August 2013.

ICM works like a rotating door. They give lots of people a chance to prove themselves and hold interviews for new hires twice a week. This can be a positive or a negative.

They call you in with a group of 5-10 people and tell you the very basics of how the job works. They ask things like 'wouldn't you want to make $10,000 in an hour just by talking to someone?' and while that is possible, it isn't probable until you get some more experience. They give you some more rah-rah pep-talk and then pull people out for 'individual interviews' at this point they have already decided who they are inviting back and are pulling people out one at a time to let them know if they are invited back.

If you are invited back you will sit through another group 'interview' where you learn about licensing etc. before you are again pulled out for individual 'interviews'. They will ask you some questions like 'who will you be able to talk to about helping them with investments' before delivering their verdict.

The interview isn't about what you know. It really just isn't. It is about your personality. They are looking for bright, bubbly people to help explain investing to others.

Training consists of getting licensed for insurance and variable products before giving you a script and sending you out to meet with clients. This process takes anywhere from 6 weeks to 4 months depending on your ability to pass the licensing exams.

Once you are in the field, you will have experts brought in several times a month to explain what product they represent and try and help you sell more of that product. This is how you will learn about products other than mutual funds and life insurance.

**they may mention a 'salary base' option during the interview process but the necessary qualifications to get the salary base are difficult and will not be offered unless you ask your hiring manager for the salary option. This will lower your commission from 40% to 20%. That being said, I highly recommend people start with the salary base, despite the difficulty maintaining it. In the beginning you want to focus on referrals and meeting clients rather than actually opening accounts so having some money coming in will make a world of difference.

**another caveat is your ability to pass a thorough background and credit check. This isn't ICM's doing, this is required by FINRA (the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority) for all licensed employees.

Interview Questions
    • They will ask about who you are able to meet with day one. They are just trying to assess your natural market and the probability that you will know enough people to have a comfortable start.   View Answer
    No negotiation. They brought a contract and you sign. I read all the paperwork which made the process take far longer than had been allotted. I don't think they expect you to read it all but READ ALL THE PAPERWORK. Nothing nefarious is waiting for you, but there are there are technical details you will want to know later.

Financial Advisor/Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Beverly Hills, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beverly Hills, CA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Independent Capital Management.

The first interview is a group interview. This gives us a chance to meet you face to face to see if you'd be a good fit for us as well as to give you a chance to determine whether or not you see a career for yourself here.

The second interview is one on one and lasts about 2 hours. You learn a little bit more about how compensation works and you really get a chance to ask questions about ICM.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I interviewed online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Independent Capital Management in July 2013.

Hiring process consisted of 1 group interview that was consistent other firms that I had interviewed with, it offered an overview and of the industry and what makes them different. They talked a lot about the benefits of being independent agent so that you can do what is right for your client.

Interview Questions
    • The second interview which was a one on one interview; reviewed training bonuses, compensation options, and licensing process. I was asked why I thought I would be good in this industry and what would be my biggest hurdles.   View Answer
    N/A

ENTRY Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Independent Capital Management.

Group interview. Cattle Call.

Financial Advisor/Representative Interview

They start off by contacting you for an interview then you come in and there is this group of other people and the manager gives a presentation. After that they give you a one on one interview. Then if they like you, then you'll get a call back. The second interview was a bit longer, basic questions. The barely looked at my resume. Then I went home and got an offer.

I have to point that I accepted then declined because of the constant waiting and paying them to work. It should be the other way around. After several 3 months I still wasn't working and ultimately withdrew.

Interview Questions
    • As a full time student how will you balance work and school?   Answer Question

Financial Services Specialist Interview

Applied for the job through Indeed and received an email the next day to schedule an interview. It was a group interview; majority of time we listened to a presentation on the company (which i found to be interesting and informative) and at the end you are taken aside for brief individual interviews. Overall, i thought the people were very nice and the environment was one to foster learning and improvement

Interview Questions

Worked for Independent Capital Management? Contribute to the Community!