Independent Producers of America

Very Easy Interview

Insurance Agent Interview

Insurance Agent
Atlanta, GA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Independent Producers of America in February 2012.

Interview Details – Company has extremely high turnover (no published data, but I would guess ~ 80% based on my experience thus far). 100% commission (no base pay). Agents also pay for their own marketing material with a few exceptions. Company monitors Monster.com for new resumes, then call & invite 10-15 people to a group presentation (every single week). 1 hour later, people interested in a one on one interview are asked to remain, the rest are excused. 2 day Boot Camp training and one day travelling with a manager. Weekly Sales meeting that includes 2 hrs of specific topic training. You are taught to build a book of business by Cold Calling small business owners and handing out 20+ brochures per day. There are referral leads, some warm (recent inquiry by prospect), but most are 12 months old on the anniversary that the prospect was looking for quotes in the past (thought being that their renewal period is here and they probably received a rate hike notice from current carrier.... creating pain and an opportunity for you as a competing agent).

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation - 100% commission.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Representative Interview

Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Independent Producers of America in March 2012.

Interview Details – My initial underdstanding of the company was based on reveiwing the company web site and introduction video after receiving a email from one of their representatives. An interview was requested on a certain date and time. I sent a follow up email to the representive to confirm but didn't recieve a reply. I called to confirm but there seemed to be some confusion due to what seemed to be a understaffed swicthboard operator and appointment scheduler who told me some of their representatives could make appointments on their own. A interview was set. I went to the interview. The interview only lasted a hour which was enough time for me to get a better understanding of the position. The interview itself was very informative. The postition was explained and my questions were answered and expanded on to give me a better perspective. The interviewer was very forth comming and honest. The office was nice. The work cultrue of those few I met at the office I can give no feedback on other than they seemed focusd on their work but polite. The interview was only interrupted once.

Interview Question – Do you have the resources to get you by untill you can make a commission sell?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – There were three reasons I decline. First, as a insurance sales person (a position I wasn't aware I was interviewing for) you have to pay for a license to the state which is around $300.00 in order to sell life/heath insurance. The second reason was that it was explained to me that the trainning period lasted usually a minimum of a couple of weeks to two months for which there was no compensation. The last reason was that pay was commission based.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Independent Producers of America? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Independent Producers of America interview questions and advice. All interview reviews posted anonymously by Independent Producers of America employees and interview candidates.