Indigo Books & Music Interview Questions in Canada

Updated Aug 24, 2015

2.4

Customer Experience Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (West Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in August 2015.

Interview

I went to the job fair and then applied online when I got home. About a week later I got a phone from the store manager that I was invited to a group interview. The interview was super chill. They asked really simple questions like why should we choose you and common situational questions that might occur in the store. Just be positive and participate in the activities and you will most likely get accepted unless they see you as being incompetent. The best thing about this interview was that they only ask you to go to one group interview and then decide whether they want you or not. There's no more one on one interviews or anything else.

Interview Questions

• If the customer bought a book but found out that its ripped, what do you do?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation

Customer Experience Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kingston, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Kingston, ON (Canada)) in August 2015.

Interview

The process followed the structure mentioned for several other applicants. First we had an icebreaking activity followed by three questions (you feel free to answer or not). Then a role play pretending you have to deal with an angry customer and then a team work activity in the store. The atmosphere was very relaxing and the store manager (who was watching the whole process) was very professional.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you brought joy to a customer life? Tell us about a time you didn't meet a deadline. Tell us about a bad day you had.   Answer Question

CEM Interview

Anonymous Employee in Surrey, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Surrey, BC (Canada)).

Interview

Indigo uses an online "survey" at time of application. Designed to filter out those who might not be adaptable to using pressure selling. It appears that they are looking for people that will be easy to mold to the Indigo way of thinking, If you clear that, you are invited to a large group interview. This involves much role playing, Managers conducting this round up seem amused at putting candidates through silly games. Slightly humiliating,,,,all for a minimum wage position.

Customer Experience Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Vancouver, BC (Canada)).

Interview

Applied online then got a call about 3 weeks later and had a short phone interview (why do you want to work here, when was the last time you came into the store, availability etc). Was asked to come in for a group interview the following week, there were 4 other people there and we introduced ourselves and took turns going down the line to answer questions. The interviewers were nice and the other applicants were respectful and kind to each other

Interview Questions

• Describe a time that you brought joy to a person/customer's life   Answer Question
    • What was a difficult encounter you had with a customer and how did you resolve the issue?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music.

Interview

They seemed to be looking for someone who is detail-oriented and works independently. They valued technical experience over industry experience. I was invited back for a total of three interviews. The last one was with the VP Online, who also tested my French language abilities.

Interview Questions

• Which email marketing platforms have you worked with previously?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in November 2014.

Interview

Indigo refers to their interviews as "Group Auditions" because you're in a room with multiple potential hires. The process was quite informal and easygoing which allowed people in the room to talk with each other and even make a few jokes while discussing our experiences. It was actually fun and little to no pressure.

Interview Questions

• We were asked to introduce everyone in the room to the person you were paired with and to talk about what you learned about them.   Answer Question

Seasonal Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in November 2014.

Interview

It was a group interview with 3 other people, it went fairly quick and there were only 4-5 questions that were easy to answer if you were prepared for them. Just know your facts about the company and use examples for questions based on how your skills are applicable to the position and in what situation(s) did you show these skills.

Interview Questions

• What book should definitely be on my shelf? At what place have you received the best customer service?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Do your research and show your passion for books.

Customer Experience Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music.

Interview

Sent an application online and then got a small phone interview a week later. Asked why I wanted to work there, my availability, other standard questions and told me about the group auditions which were scheduled the next week. The group auditions were 5 people including myself. We were asked three questions and played a game that was a team building exercise. The game was to basically demonstrate how we all function in a team. Interview was roughly 45 min. Received my offer in two days. The audition was super relaxed. They were hiring 24 people for Xmas, so they even said at the end of the interview that we all had a pretty good chance of getting hired. For those that have auditions with worse odds, you have to stand out! (I'm super shy, so I know it's easier said than done) Take control of the group, be vocal, and just try not to be a wallflower. If you're naturally outgoing, it'll be a piece of cake.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you dealt with a customer who had an unreasonable demand. What did you do?   1 Answer
    • Tell us about a bad day you had.   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a time you didn't meet a deadline.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Minimum wage seasonal job, so no negotiation

Casual Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brampton, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Brampton, ON (Canada)) in October 2014.

Interview

It was thorough and interactive. The lady doing the interview was calm thus allowing me to relax. She was interested in what i had offer ad how i would impact on the company. The interview though not easy was a great interview and i learned a lot from it.

Interview Questions

• Why they should give the chance to work for them.   1 Answer

Tasker On Duty Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in September 2014.

Interview

The phone screening was brief with the usual interview related questions in relation to retail and customer service. I had a follow up interview on the same day which was was relax and casual. The questions were mainly about my experiences at Indigo and what type of work experience had in retail.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Indigo? When was the last time you'd visited?   Answer Question