Indigo Books & Music Customer Experience Representative Interview Questions

Updated Aug 30, 2015

2.6

Customer Experience Representative Interview

Interview

Initially for a phone call to interview for a seasonal positron, and went in a couple of days later. It was a group interview with four of us. The questions were pretty conventional, but the manager did a good job keeping the mood light and engaging, and seemed to want to create a context where we could all look pour best. This did not turn out to be representative of other managers at this location, however.

Interview Questions

• describe an incident you've had in the past with a difficult customer, and how you resolved it.   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a book you've read in the last year. Don't give me a synopsis. Tell me why it was good and why I might like it.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. I was eventually kept on as a regular employee after the holidays. But their philosophy seemed to be to burn through CERs quickly because there are always more where those came from.

Other Interview Reviews for Indigo Books & Music

Customer Experience Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kingston, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Kingston, ON (Canada)) in August 2015.

Interview

The process followed the structure mentioned for several other applicants. First we had an icebreaking activity followed by three questions (you feel free to answer or not). Then a role play pretending you have to deal with an angry customer and then a team work activity in the store. The atmosphere was very relaxing and the store manager (who was watching the whole process) was very professional.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you brought joy to a customer life? Tell us about a time you didn't meet a deadline. Tell us about a bad day you had.   Answer Question

Customer Experience Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Vancouver, BC (Canada)).

Interview

Applied online then got a call about 3 weeks later and had a short phone interview (why do you want to work here, when was the last time you came into the store, availability etc). Was asked to come in for a group interview the following week, there were 4 other people there and we introduced ourselves and took turns going down the line to answer questions. The interviewers were nice and the other applicants were respectful and kind to each other

Interview Questions

• Describe a time that you brought joy to a person/customer's life   Answer Question
    • What was a difficult encounter you had with a customer and how did you resolve the issue?   Answer Question

Customer Experience Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in November 2014.

Interview

Indigo refers to their interviews as "Group Auditions" because you're in a room with multiple potential hires. The process was quite informal and easygoing which allowed people in the room to talk with each other and even make a few jokes while discussing our experiences. It was actually fun and little to no pressure.

Interview Questions

• We were asked to introduce everyone in the room to the person you were paired with and to talk about what you learned about them.   Answer Question

Customer Experience Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music.

Interview

Sent an application online and then got a small phone interview a week later. Asked why I wanted to work there, my availability, other standard questions and told me about the group auditions which were scheduled the next week. The group auditions were 5 people including myself. We were asked three questions and played a game that was a team building exercise. The game was to basically demonstrate how we all function in a team. Interview was roughly 45 min. Received my offer in two days. The audition was super relaxed. They were hiring 24 people for Xmas, so they even said at the end of the interview that we all had a pretty good chance of getting hired. For those that have auditions with worse odds, you have to stand out! (I'm super shy, so I know it's easier said than done) Take control of the group, be vocal, and just try not to be a wallflower. If you're naturally outgoing, it'll be a piece of cake.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you dealt with a customer who had an unreasonable demand. What did you do?   1 Answer
    • Tell us about a bad day you had.   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a time you didn't meet a deadline.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Minimum wage seasonal job, so no negotiation

Customer Experience Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saskatoon, SK (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Saskatoon, SK (Canada)) in May 2014.

Interview

The time that you apply to the time that you get hired is very quick and smooth sailing. However, the interview is a group/scenario interview and can get very long (mine was 45 minutes however I have been told then can take up to an hour). That seems very ridiculous for a minimum wage paying job.

Interview Questions

• Pick your favourite book, and pick something to pair with it... and explain why.   Answer Question

Customer Experience Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (London, ON (Canada)).

Interview

Applied online and had to complete a questionnaire, got a call a week later for an interview. Interviewed with one manager then had another the same day about 10 minutes later with the head manager. Got hired on the spot. They asked questions regarding your favourite books, company policies and the love of reading foundation. Do your research on the company!

Customer Experience Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in November 2013.

Interview

We first did a group interview, followed by another group interview, then another. Each time were asked a series of questions and asked to bundle products and tell the managers why we chose our specific items (this was during Christmas time). My manager at that time was mostly interested in whether or not you had the enthusiasm to get others excited about your choice and whether or not you could justify your decisions in an articulate manner. If you couldn't, you were out.

Interview Questions

• What does the Indigo brand name mean to you?   1 Answer

Customer Experience Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in October 2012.

Interview

Immediately after application, I submitted an online personality test. Around a week later, I received a call from the store inviting me to come in for an interview. The interview process was quite simple -- a laundry list of questions about challenges faced throughout previous jobs, how I would react to situations, etc. Most job-specific question asked was "what are you reading?"

Customer Experience Representative Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music in September 2012.

Interview

I applied to one location 2 months before they called me in. Got a first interview but there was a confusion between managers, so they weren't quite prepared to interview me but once we started, they were humorous, kind and seemingly non-judgemental. They called me in for a second interview with who would be the manager I would work under (kids manager). Also light conversation with a few questions about my favourite books and authors. Then the called me in for a third interview. This time, with the general manager. Same questions. After this interview, I thought, "What the heck, why not apply to another location? I'm bound to get one of them!" and so I applied to another. They responded within two days of my applying. One interview, and I had the job. The first location took a little over two weeks, after the third interview, to respond and by then I had already accepted the job at the other location.

Interview Questions

• Think of a book you enjoyed, and sell it to me.   1 Answer
    • Situational questions.   1 Answer