Indigo Books & Music
www.chapters.indigo.ca Toronto, Canada 5000+ Employees

Indigo Books & Music Customer Experience Representative Interview Questions & Reviews

Getting the Interview

Average Difficulty
9 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Indigo Books & Music in October 2012.

Interview Details – Immediately after application, I submitted an online personality test. Around a week later, I received a call from the store inviting me to come in for an interview. The interview process was quite simple -- a laundry list of questions about challenges faced throughout previous jobs, how I would react to situations, etc. Most job-specific question asked was "what are you reading?"

Interview Question – "How have you handled team conflicts in the past?"   Answer Question

London, ON (Canada)

I applied online and interviewed at Indigo Books & Music.

Interview Details – Applied online and had to complete a questionnaire, got a call a week later for an interview. Interviewed with one manager then had another the same day about 10 minutes later with the head manager. Got hired on the spot. They asked questions regarding your favourite books, company policies and the love of reading foundation. Do your research on the company!

Interview Question – Tell me about the Love of Reading Foundation.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Milton, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Indigo Books & Music in August 2012.

Interview Details – Terrible interview process. They sent my acceptance e-mail to the wrong person. Someone with my last name in Brazil. Thank God this man tracked me down on Facebook and sent me the e-mail. Otherwise, I wouldn't have gotten the job.

Interview Question – 1. What do you know about this company?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation I was only 15 so I took whatever they offered

Customer Experience Representative

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Indigo Books & Music in September 2012.

Interview Details – I applied to one location 2 months before they called me in. Got a first interview but there was a confusion between managers, so they weren't quite prepared to interview me but once we started, they were humorous, kind and seemingly non-judgemental.

They called me in for a second interview with who would be the manager I would work under (kids manager). Also light conversation with a few questions about my favourite books and authors.

Then the called me in for a third interview. This time, with the general manager. Same questions.

After this interview, I thought, "What the heck, why not apply to another location? I'm bound to get one of them!" and so I applied to another. They responded within two days of my applying. One interview, and I had the job.
The first location took a little over two weeks, after the third interview, to respond and by then I had already accepted the job at the other location.

Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Indigo Books & Music in August 2008.

Interview Details – I was called the same day I dropped my resume off at their store. Was asked to come for an interview the very next day. Interview was about 20 minutes long with the Manager and Assistant Manager, and was outside of the store where it wasn't as busy. They were polite and made me feel comfortable. They hired me on the spot.

Interview Question – Asked what my worst customer experience was and how I handled an unhappy customer.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Always ask to be paid more than minimum wage, especially if you have more experience in the book or customer service industry.

Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Indigo Books & Music in April 2012.

Interview Details – Replied to posting re: opening on Indigo website. Applied to 7 positions and was selected for an introductory interview at 2. Interviewed in a group of 3 and was told they were interviewing roughly 100 candidates, so a second round of interviews would be necessary.

I gave a strong interview and was given a second interview with another manager, and then offered a position on the spot. It was 7 days from application to interview, and 3 days from interview to official written offer/signed agreement, and then another 3 weeks until my first shift.

Interview Question – What is the last book you read? Describe it to me as if you were trying to sell it to me.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation possible since HQ has a standard procedure.

Customer Experience Representative

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Indigo Books & Music.

Interview Details – Applied online and had to do a questionnaire. Few days later, I got an email telling me to book my own interview appointment on a website. Had to wait about a week before it showed the available times for me to schedule myself.

Overall, it was a very average interview. Interview process was pretty lengthy for a part time job. Was around 40 minutes for first interview, and 20 minutes for second interview.

They first will go through your resume, such as having you describe your work experience, why you chose your school program, etc. Next they will do some warm up interview questions, such as what you know about Indigo and why you want to work there. Lastly, the longest part, will be a series of behavioral questions.

Milton, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Indigo Books & Music in July 2012.

Interview Details – I got called for an interview about 3 days after I applied. Keep in mind I applied to work in the kid section. Today was the day I did my interview. The questions were very simple and most of their questions are based on community involvement. For example, I'm in the drama club so she asked me questions such as "what is the most difficult part about acting?" I'm supposed to hear from them in 5 days. If I get the job, there is going to be a 3 hour orientation which is like a tour of the place, how the system works etc. Then they are going to ask for your SIN number, void check etc. Give you your uniform..and your hired!

Interview Questions

• Have you ever had to deal with someone who was being difficult and how did you manage to solve that persons problem?   View Answer
  • Tell me about yourself   View Answer
  • What will you be doing in the next 6 months?   View Answers (2)
  • Have you ever had a situation where someone else was effecting your productivity?   View Answers (2)
  • Have you ever realized that you did something wrong? If so, what were the steps you took to fix it?   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – They ended up hiring me on the spot. The !ndigo I visited was very flexible with hours they took from 5 hours a week to 30 hours a week depending on your preferences. They also have seasonal positions for before and during Christmas (September to January) and 70% of the people who worked in seasonal receive permanent positions

Customer Experience Representative

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Indigo Books & Music in April 2009.

Interview Details – The interview was relatively easy to setup and arrange. It was a one on one interview with the store's customer experience manager. The questions were fairly run of the mill for a customer service job. The only question that stood out:
What is a policy that you disagreed with and why?

Interview Question – What is a policy that you have disagreed with in the past and why?   View Answer

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Indigo Books & Music? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Indigo Books & Music Customer Experience Representative interview questions and advice. All 9 interview reviews posted anonymously by Indigo Books & Music employees and interview candidates.