Indigo Books & Music

Updated Dec 2, 2014

2.5

11 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Indigo Books & Music in November 2014.

Indigo refers to their interviews as "Group Auditions" because you're in a room with multiple potential hires. The process was quite informal and easygoing which allowed people in the room to talk with each other and even make a few jokes while discussing our experiences. It was actually fun and little to no pressure.

Interview Questions
  • We were asked to introduce everyone in the room to the person you were paired with and to talk about what you learned about them.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Indigo Books & Music

Customer Experience Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Indigo Books & Music.

Sent an application online and then got a small phone interview a week later. Asked why I wanted to work there, my availability, other standard questions and told me about the group auditions which were scheduled the next week. The group auditions were 5 people including myself. We were asked three questions and played a game that was a team building exercise. The game was to basically demonstrate how we all function in a team. Interview was roughly 45 min. Received my offer in two days. The audition was super relaxed. They were hiring 24 people for Xmas, so they even said at the end of the interview that we all had a pretty good chance of getting hired. For those that have auditions with worse odds, you have to stand out! (I'm super shy, so I know it's easier said than done) Take control of the group, be vocal, and just try not to be a wallflower. If you're naturally outgoing, it'll be a piece of cake.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time you dealt with a customer who had an unreasonable demand. What did you do?   View Answer
    • Tell us about a bad day you had.   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a time you didn't meet a deadline.   Answer Question
    Minimum wage seasonal job, so no negotiation

Customer Experience Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, ON (Canada)

I applied online – interviewed at Indigo Books & Music.

Applied online and had to complete a questionnaire, got a call a week later for an interview. Interviewed with one manager then had another the same day about 10 minutes later with the head manager. Got hired on the spot. They asked questions regarding your favourite books, company policies and the love of reading foundation. Do your research on the company!

Customer Experience Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Indigo Books & Music in October 2012.

Immediately after application, I submitted an online personality test. Around a week later, I received a call from the store inviting me to come in for an interview. The interview process was quite simple -- a laundry list of questions about challenges faced throughout previous jobs, how I would react to situations, etc. Most job-specific question asked was "what are you reading?"

Customer Experience Representative Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Indigo Books & Music in September 2012.

I applied to one location 2 months before they called me in. Got a first interview but there was a confusion between managers, so they weren't quite prepared to interview me but once we started, they were humorous, kind and seemingly non-judgemental.

They called me in for a second interview with who would be the manager I would work under (kids manager). Also light conversation with a few questions about my favourite books and authors.

Then the called me in for a third interview. This time, with the general manager. Same questions.

After this interview, I thought, "What the heck, why not apply to another location? I'm bound to get one of them!" and so I applied to another. They responded within two days of my applying. One interview, and I had the job.
    The first location took a little over two weeks, after the third interview, to respond and by then I had already accepted the job at the other location.

Customer Experience Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Indigo Books & Music.

Applied online and had to do a questionnaire. Few days later, I got an email telling me to book my own interview appointment on a website. Had to wait about a week before it showed the available times for me to schedule myself.

Overall, it was a very average interview. Interview process was pretty lengthy for a part time job. Was around 40 minutes for first interview, and 20 minutes for second interview.

They first will go through your resume, such as having you describe your work experience, why you chose your school program, etc. Next they will do some warm up interview questions, such as what you know about Indigo and why you want to work there. Lastly, the longest part, will be a series of behavioral questions.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time when you made a mistake and what steps did you take to correct it?   Answer Question
    • Tell me a time when you helped do something that was not your responsibility.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about your worst customer service.   Answer Question
    • Tell me a time when you went above and beyond.   Answer Question
    • What do you know about the job position you applied to?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milton, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Indigo Books & Music in August 2012.

Terrible interview process. They sent my acceptance e-mail to the wrong person. Someone with my last name in Brazil. Thank God this man tracked me down on Facebook and sent me the e-mail. Otherwise, I wouldn't have gotten the job.

Interview Questions
    • 1. What do you know about this company?   View Answer
    There was no negotiation I was only 15 so I took whatever they offered

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milton, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Indigo Books & Music in July 2012.

I got called for an interview about 3 days after I applied. Keep in mind I applied to work in the kid section. Today was the day I did my interview. The questions were very simple and most of their questions are based on community involvement. For example, I'm in the drama club so she asked me questions such as "what is the most difficult part about acting?" I'm supposed to hear from them in 5 days. If I get the job, there is going to be a 3 hour orientation which is like a tour of the place, how the system works etc. Then they are going to ask for your SIN number, void check etc. Give you your uniform..and your hired!

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever had to deal with someone who was being difficult and how did you manage to solve that persons problem?   View Answer
    • Tell me about yourself   View Answer
    • What will you be doing in the next 6 months?   View Answers (2)
    • Have you ever had a situation where someone else was effecting your productivity?   View Answers (2)
    • Have you ever realized that you did something wrong? If so, what were the steps you took to fix it?   View Answers (2)
    They ended up hiring me on the spot. The !ndigo I visited was very flexible with hours they took from 5 hours a week to 30 hours a week depending on your preferences. They also have seasonal positions for before and during Christmas (September to January) and 70% of the people who worked in seasonal receive permanent positions

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Indigo Books & Music in April 2012.

Replied to posting re: opening on Indigo website. Applied to 7 positions and was selected for an introductory interview at 2. Interviewed in a group of 3 and was told they were interviewing roughly 100 candidates, so a second round of interviews would be necessary.

I gave a strong interview and was given a second interview with another manager, and then offered a position on the spot. It was 7 days from application to interview, and 3 days from interview to official written offer/signed agreement, and then another 3 weeks until my first shift.

Interview Questions
    • What is the last book you read? Describe it to me as if you were trying to sell it to me.   View Answer
    No negotiation possible since HQ has a standard procedure.

Customer Experience Representative Interview

The process took a weekinterviewed at Indigo Books & Music in April 2009.

The interview was relatively easy to setup and arrange. It was a one on one interview with the store's customer experience manager. The questions were fairly run of the mill for a customer service job. The only question that stood out:
    What is a policy that you disagreed with and why?

Interview Questions
    • What is a policy that you have disagreed with in the past and why?   View Answer