Indigo Books & Music Interview Questions

Updated Aug 30, 2015

2.4

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music.

Interview

Applied for the position online and heard a response within a week. Was asked to come in for a group audition. 40+ applicants were divided into groups and asked to participate in 3 activities, being reviewed by different department managers and the GM. The whole process lasted almost 2 hours and involved a team activity, a questions section and than role playing. You need to have an outgoing personality and really speak up as you are competing for the position. It was an enjoyable experience and different from the typical, tense one on one sections.

Interview Questions

• The usual, tell me about a time when you had to handle a difficult situation in the work place. What was it and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation

Interview

Initially for a phone call to interview for a seasonal positron, and went in a couple of days later. It was a group interview with four of us. The questions were pretty conventional, but the manager did a good job keeping the mood light and engaging, and seemed to want to create a context where we could all look pour best. This did not turn out to be representative of other managers at this location, however.

Interview Questions

• describe an incident you've had in the past with a difficult customer, and how you resolved it.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a book you've read in the last year. Don't give me a synopsis. Tell me why it was good and why I might like it.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. I was eventually kept on as a regular employee after the holidays. But their philosophy seemed to be to burn through CERs quickly because there are always more where those came from.

Customer Experience Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kingston, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Kingston, ON (Canada)) in August 2015.

Interview

The process followed the structure mentioned for several other applicants. First we had an icebreaking activity followed by three questions (you feel free to answer or not). Then a role play pretending you have to deal with an angry customer and then a team work activity in the store. The atmosphere was very relaxing and the store manager (who was watching the whole process) was very professional.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you brought joy to a customer life? Tell us about a time you didn't meet a deadline. Tell us about a bad day you had.   Answer Question

Customer Experience Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in West Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (West Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in August 2015.

Interview

I went to the job fair and then applied online when I got home. About a week later I got a phone from the store manager that I was invited to a group interview. The interview was super chill. They asked really simple questions like why should we choose you and common situational questions that might occur in the store. Just be positive and participate in the activities and you will most likely get accepted unless they see you as being incompetent. The best thing about this interview was that they only ask you to go to one group interview and then decide whether they want you or not. There's no more one on one interviews or anything else.

Interview Questions

• If the customer bought a book but found out that its ripped, what do you do?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation

CEM Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Surrey, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Surrey, BC (Canada)).

Interview

Indigo uses an online "survey" at time of application. Designed to filter out those who might not be adaptable to using pressure selling. It appears that they are looking for people that will be easy to mold to the Indigo way of thinking, If you clear that, you are invited to a large group interview. This involves much role playing, Managers conducting this round up seem amused at putting candidates through silly games. Slightly humiliating,,,,all for a minimum wage position.

Customer Experience Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Vancouver, BC (Canada)).

Interview

Applied online then got a call about 3 weeks later and had a short phone interview (why do you want to work here, when was the last time you came into the store, availability etc). Was asked to come in for a group interview the following week, there were 4 other people there and we introduced ourselves and took turns going down the line to answer questions. The interviewers were nice and the other applicants were respectful and kind to each other

Interview Questions

• Describe a time that you brought joy to a person/customer's life   Answer Question
    • What was a difficult encounter you had with a customer and how did you resolve the issue?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music.

Interview

They seemed to be looking for someone who is detail-oriented and works independently. They valued technical experience over industry experience. I was invited back for a total of three interviews. The last one was with the VP Online, who also tested my French language abilities.

Interview Questions

• Which email marketing platforms have you worked with previously?   1 Answer

Customer Experience Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in November 2014.

Interview

Indigo refers to their interviews as "Group Auditions" because you're in a room with multiple potential hires. The process was quite informal and easygoing which allowed people in the room to talk with each other and even make a few jokes while discussing our experiences. It was actually fun and little to no pressure.

Interview Questions

• We were asked to introduce everyone in the room to the person you were paired with and to talk about what you learned about them.   Answer Question

Seasonal Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in November 2014.

Interview

It was a group interview with 3 other people, it went fairly quick and there were only 4-5 questions that were easy to answer if you were prepared for them. Just know your facts about the company and use examples for questions based on how your skills are applicable to the position and in what situation(s) did you show these skills.

Interview Questions

• What book should definitely be on my shelf? At what place have you received the best customer service?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Do your research and show your passion for books.

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music.

Interview

Sent an application online and then got a small phone interview a week later. Asked why I wanted to work there, my availability, other standard questions and told me about the group auditions which were scheduled the next week. The group auditions were 5 people including myself. We were asked three questions and played a game that was a team building exercise. The game was to basically demonstrate how we all function in a team. Interview was roughly 45 min. Received my offer in two days. The audition was super relaxed. They were hiring 24 people for Xmas, so they even said at the end of the interview that we all had a pretty good chance of getting hired. For those that have auditions with worse odds, you have to stand out! (I'm super shy, so I know it's easier said than done) Take control of the group, be vocal, and just try not to be a wallflower. If you're naturally outgoing, it'll be a piece of cake.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you dealt with a customer who had an unreasonable demand. What did you do?   1 Answer
    • Tell us about a bad day you had.   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a time you didn't meet a deadline.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Minimum wage seasonal job, so no negotiation