Indigo Books & Music

Updated Jan 24, 2015

2.4

Digital Marketing Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Indigo Books & Music in July 2014.

Initial communication took place over e-mail with hiring recruiter who did not e-mail professionally. After organizing a phone interview, the phone conversation lasted for a maximum of 6 minutes. Next step was an in person interview with the Digital Marketing Director a week later. The Director was very closed minded and unapproachable making the interview uneasy and uncomfortable. The interview process is taking 6 weeks or more. Next step is a presentation of a project given to you after the in person interview. Questions asked were above the expectations of the position being interviewed for.

Interview Questions
    • They asked for the keyword that drove your latest campaign and then entered it into Google to see if your webpage appeared.   Answer Question

Seasonal Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Indigo Books & Music in November 2014.

It was a group interview with 3 other people, it went fairly quick and there were only 4-5 questions that were easy to answer if you were prepared for them. Just know your facts about the company and use examples for questions based on how your skills are applicable to the position and in what situation(s) did you show these skills.

Interview Questions
    • What book should definitely be on my shelf?
      At what place have you received the best customer service?

Answer Question
    Do your research and show your passion for books.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Indigo Books & Music in October 2012.

Immediately after application, I submitted an online personality test. Around a week later, I received a call from the store inviting me to come in for an interview. The interview process was quite simple -- a laundry list of questions about challenges faced throughout previous jobs, how I would react to situations, etc. Most job-specific question asked was "what are you reading?"

Customer Experience Representative Interview

The process took a weekinterviewed at Indigo Books & Music in April 2009.

The interview was relatively easy to setup and arrange. It was a one on one interview with the store's customer experience manager. The questions were fairly run of the mill for a customer service job. The only question that stood out:
    What is a policy that you disagreed with and why?

Interview Questions
    • What is a policy that you have disagreed with in the past and why?   View Answer

Visual Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Indigo Books & Music in August 2009.

The process took 2 interviews from Indigo and 1 interview from the recruiter.

Interview Questions

I have never had to wear a uniform (sort of) I was expected to wear a vest every day.
    No thanks

Customer Experience Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milton, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milton, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Indigo Books & Music in July 2012.

I got called for an interview about 3 days after I applied. Keep in mind I applied to work in the kid section. Today was the day I did my interview. The questions were very simple and most of their questions are based on community involvement. For example, I'm in the drama club so she asked me questions such as "what is the most difficult part about acting?" I'm supposed to hear from them in 5 days. If I get the job, there is going to be a 3 hour orientation which is like a tour of the place, how the system works etc. Then they are going to ask for your SIN number, void check etc. Give you your uniform..and your hired!

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever had to deal with someone who was being difficult and how did you manage to solve that persons problem?   View Answer
    • Tell me about yourself   View Answer
    • What will you be doing in the next 6 months?   View Answers (2)
    • Have you ever had a situation where someone else was effecting your productivity?   View Answers (2)
    • Have you ever realized that you did something wrong? If so, what were the steps you took to fix it?   View Answers (2)
    They ended up hiring me on the spot. The !ndigo I visited was very flexible with hours they took from 5 hours a week to 30 hours a week depending on your preferences. They also have seasonal positions for before and during Christmas (September to January) and 70% of the people who worked in seasonal receive permanent positions

Customer Experience Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Indigo Books & Music.

Applied online and had to do a questionnaire. Few days later, I got an email telling me to book my own interview appointment on a website. Had to wait about a week before it showed the available times for me to schedule myself.

Overall, it was a very average interview. Interview process was pretty lengthy for a part time job. Was around 40 minutes for first interview, and 20 minutes for second interview.

They first will go through your resume, such as having you describe your work experience, why you chose your school program, etc. Next they will do some warm up interview questions, such as what you know about Indigo and why you want to work there. Lastly, the longest part, will be a series of behavioral questions.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time when you made a mistake and what steps did you take to correct it?   Answer Question
    • Tell me a time when you helped do something that was not your responsibility.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about your worst customer service.   Answer Question
    • Tell me a time when you went above and beyond.   Answer Question
    • What do you know about the job position you applied to?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Indigo Books & Music in April 2012.

Replied to posting re: opening on Indigo website. Applied to 7 positions and was selected for an introductory interview at 2. Interviewed in a group of 3 and was told they were interviewing roughly 100 candidates, so a second round of interviews would be necessary.

I gave a strong interview and was given a second interview with another manager, and then offered a position on the spot. It was 7 days from application to interview, and 3 days from interview to official written offer/signed agreement, and then another 3 weeks until my first shift.

Interview Questions
    • What is the last book you read? Describe it to me as if you were trying to sell it to me.   View Answer
    No negotiation possible since HQ has a standard procedure.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Indigo Books & Music in August 2008.

I was called the same day I dropped my resume off at their store. Was asked to come for an interview the very next day. Interview was about 20 minutes long with the Manager and Assistant Manager, and was outside of the store where it wasn't as busy. They were polite and made me feel comfortable. They hired me on the spot.

Interview Questions
    • Asked what my worst customer experience was and how I handled an unhappy customer.   Answer Question
    Always ask to be paid more than minimum wage, especially if you have more experience in the book or customer service industry.

Customer Experience Representative Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Indigo Books & Music in September 2012.

I applied to one location 2 months before they called me in. Got a first interview but there was a confusion between managers, so they weren't quite prepared to interview me but once we started, they were humorous, kind and seemingly non-judgemental.

They called me in for a second interview with who would be the manager I would work under (kids manager). Also light conversation with a few questions about my favourite books and authors.

Then the called me in for a third interview. This time, with the general manager. Same questions.

After this interview, I thought, "What the heck, why not apply to another location? I'm bound to get one of them!" and so I applied to another. They responded within two days of my applying. One interview, and I had the job.
    The first location took a little over two weeks, after the third interview, to respond and by then I had already accepted the job at the other location.