Indigo Books & Music Interview Questions

Updated Apr 16, 2015

2.4

Customer Experience Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Vancouver, BC (Canada)).

Interview

Applied online then got a call about 3 weeks later and had a short phone interview (why do you want to work here, when was the last time you came into the store, availability etc). Was asked to come in for a group interview the following week, there were 4 other people there and we introduced ourselves and took turns going down the line to answer questions. The interviewers were nice and the other applicants were respectful and kind to each other

Interview Questions

• Describe a time that you brought joy to a person/customer's life   Answer Question
    • What was a difficult encounter you had with a customer and how did you resolve the issue?   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in May 2014.

Interview

The online survey is the hardest to pass. If you can pass that, you'll get your call back. The in person interview comes down to who you are as a person- they hire to fit the experience they want customers to have.

Tasker On Duty Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in September 2014.

Interview

The phone screening was brief with the usual interview related questions in relation to retail and customer service. I had a follow up interview on the same day which was was relax and casual. The questions were mainly about my experiences at Indigo and what type of work experience had in retail.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Indigo?

When was the last time you'd visited?

Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Indigo Books & Music.

Interview

They seemed to be looking for someone who is detail-oriented and works independently. They valued technical experience over industry experience. I was invited back for a total of three interviews. The last one was with the VP Online, who also tested my French language abilities.

Interview Questions

• Which email marketing platforms have you worked with previously?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in November 2014.

Interview

Indigo refers to their interviews as "Group Auditions" because you're in a room with multiple potential hires. The process was quite informal and easygoing which allowed people in the room to talk with each other and even make a few jokes while discussing our experiences. It was actually fun and little to no pressure.

Interview Questions

• We were asked to introduce everyone in the room to the person you were paired with and to talk about what you learned about them.   Answer Question

Seasonal Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in November 2014.

Interview

It was a group interview with 3 other people, it went fairly quick and there were only 4-5 questions that were easy to answer if you were prepared for them. Just know your facts about the company and use examples for questions based on how your skills are applicable to the position and in what situation(s) did you show these skills.

Interview Questions

• What book should definitely be on my shelf?
      At what place have you received the best customer service?

Answer Question

Negotiation

Do your research and show your passion for books.

Customer Experience Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Indigo Books & Music.

Interview

Sent an application online and then got a small phone interview a week later. Asked why I wanted to work there, my availability, other standard questions and told me about the group auditions which were scheduled the next week. The group auditions were 5 people including myself. We were asked three questions and played a game that was a team building exercise. The game was to basically demonstrate how we all function in a team. Interview was roughly 45 min. Received my offer in two days. The audition was super relaxed. They were hiring 24 people for Xmas, so they even said at the end of the interview that we all had a pretty good chance of getting hired. For those that have auditions with worse odds, you have to stand out! (I'm super shy, so I know it's easier said than done) Take control of the group, be vocal, and just try not to be a wallflower. If you're naturally outgoing, it'll be a piece of cake.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you dealt with a customer who had an unreasonable demand. What did you do?   1 Answer
    • Tell us about a bad day you had.   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a time you didn't meet a deadline.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Minimum wage seasonal job, so no negotiation

Marketing Email Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Indigo Books & Music.

Interview

It was fairly easy. It was very casual. It was not intimidating at all. Probably one of the easiest interview I've ever experienced. It wasn't a full time job, it was a contract to hire job.

Digital Marketing Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in July 2014.

Interview

Initial communication took place over e-mail with hiring recruiter who did not e-mail professionally. After organizing a phone interview, the phone conversation lasted for a maximum of 6 minutes. Next step was an in person interview with the Digital Marketing Director a week later. The Director was very closed minded and unapproachable making the interview uneasy and uncomfortable. The interview process is taking 6 weeks or more. Next step is a presentation of a project given to you after the in person interview. Questions asked were above the expectations of the position being interviewed for.

Interview Questions

• They asked for the keyword that drove your latest campaign and then entered it into Google to see if your webpage appeared.   Answer Question

CER- Permenant Part-time Interview

Application

The process took a weekinterviewed at Indigo Books & Music.

Interview

Applied for the position online and heard a response within a week. Was asked to come in for a group audition. 40+ applicants were divided into groups and asked to participate in 3 activities, being reviewed by different department managers and the GM. The whole process lasted almost 2 hours and involved a team activity, a questions section and than role playing. You need to have an outgoing personality and really speak up as you are competing for the position. It was an enjoyable experience and different from the typical, tense one on one sections.

Interview Questions

• The usual, tell me about a time when you had to handle a difficult situation in the work place. What was it and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation