Indigo Books & Music Interview Questions

Updated Aug 30, 2015

2.4

Interview

Initially for a phone call to interview for a seasonal positron, and went in a couple of days later. It was a group interview with four of us. The questions were pretty conventional, but the manager did a good job keeping the mood light and engaging, and seemed to want to create a context where we could all look pour best. This did not turn out to be representative of other managers at this location, however.

Interview Questions

• describe an incident you've had in the past with a difficult customer, and how you resolved it.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a book you've read in the last year. Don't give me a synopsis. Tell me why it was good and why I might like it.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. I was eventually kept on as a regular employee after the holidays. But their philosophy seemed to be to burn through CERs quickly because there are always more where those came from.

Customer Experience Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in November 2013.

Interview

We first did a group interview, followed by another group interview, then another. Each time were asked a series of questions and asked to bundle products and tell the managers why we chose our specific items (this was during Christmas time). My manager at that time was mostly interested in whether or not you had the enthusiasm to get others excited about your choice and whether or not you could justify your decisions in an articulate manner. If you couldn't, you were out.

Interview Questions

• What does the Indigo brand name mean to you?   1 Answer

Customer Experience Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kingston, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Kingston, ON (Canada)) in August 2015.

Interview

The process followed the structure mentioned for several other applicants. First we had an icebreaking activity followed by three questions (you feel free to answer or not). Then a role play pretending you have to deal with an angry customer and then a team work activity in the store. The atmosphere was very relaxing and the store manager (who was watching the whole process) was very professional.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you brought joy to a customer life? Tell us about a time you didn't meet a deadline. Tell us about a bad day you had.   Answer Question

Customer Experience Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saskatoon, SK (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Saskatoon, SK (Canada)) in May 2014.

Interview

The time that you apply to the time that you get hired is very quick and smooth sailing. However, the interview is a group/scenario interview and can get very long (mine was 45 minutes however I have been told then can take up to an hour). That seems very ridiculous for a minimum wage paying job.

Interview Questions

• Pick your favourite book, and pick something to pair with it... and explain why.   Answer Question

Customer Experience Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in West Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (West Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in August 2015.

Interview

I went to the job fair and then applied online when I got home. About a week later I got a phone from the store manager that I was invited to a group interview. The interview was super chill. They asked really simple questions like why should we choose you and common situational questions that might occur in the store. Just be positive and participate in the activities and you will most likely get accepted unless they see you as being incompetent. The best thing about this interview was that they only ask you to go to one group interview and then decide whether they want you or not. There's no more one on one interviews or anything else.

Interview Questions

• If the customer bought a book but found out that its ripped, what do you do?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation

CEM Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Surrey, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Surrey, BC (Canada)).

Interview

Indigo uses an online "survey" at time of application. Designed to filter out those who might not be adaptable to using pressure selling. It appears that they are looking for people that will be easy to mold to the Indigo way of thinking, If you clear that, you are invited to a large group interview. This involves much role playing, Managers conducting this round up seem amused at putting candidates through silly games. Slightly humiliating,,,,all for a minimum wage position.

Casual Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brampton, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Brampton, ON (Canada)) in October 2014.

Interview

It was thorough and interactive. The lady doing the interview was calm thus allowing me to relax. She was interested in what i had offer ad how i would impact on the company. The interview though not easy was a great interview and i learned a lot from it.

Interview Questions

• Why they should give the chance to work for them.   1 Answer

Customer Experience Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in October 2011.

Interview

Clear and concise. The group interview provided a general expectation of the company for the season and afterwards. Having a group setting made the process more enjoyable. Having to do fake role-playing scenarios felt uncomfortable though.

Interview Questions

• What type of books do I read?   1 Answer

Customer Experience Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Vancouver, BC (Canada)).

Interview

Applied online then got a call about 3 weeks later and had a short phone interview (why do you want to work here, when was the last time you came into the store, availability etc). Was asked to come in for a group interview the following week, there were 4 other people there and we introduced ourselves and took turns going down the line to answer questions. The interviewers were nice and the other applicants were respectful and kind to each other

Interview Questions

• Describe a time that you brought joy to a person/customer's life   Answer Question
    • What was a difficult encounter you had with a customer and how did you resolve the issue?   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in May 2014.

Interview

The online survey is the hardest to pass. If you can pass that, you'll get your call back. The in person interview comes down to who you are as a person- they hire to fit the experience they want customers to have.