Ingersoll Rand Interview Questions

Updated Mar 11, 2015
Updated Mar 11, 2015

Engineering Sales Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Ingersoll Rand.

A lot of behavioral questions as well as questions based off my resume. Asking for elaboration and how I could apply it to the internship. Mostly behavioral questions, teamwork type stuff..

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever been on a team and someone was not pulling there weight? How did you handle it   Answer Question

ADP Program Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Ingersoll Rand.

The interview consisted of a one-on-one interview with an HR rep. The interview lasted about 30 min and was conducted using the STAR method. The HR rep was very professional and easy to talk to. I enjoyed meeting with her and learning about the organization.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Ingersoll Rand.

I had an atypical interview process. I was interviewed by an alum from my university (behavioral). After a couple of weeks, I was contacted by an Operations Manager for an additional interview for Trane. After completing that, I was interviewed once more by two Systems Engineers at the manufacturing plant.

The overall process was surprisingly lengthy (not typical for IR based on colleagues' experiences) but very pleasant. HR is very helpful and will do their best to answer all our questions. The nature of the questions were behavioral for the most part aside from later interviews with future supervisor that probed more deeply into the type of employee that I would become in order to find a fit between you and the company.

Technical questions were not a part of the process, but they do want to find out what experiences you have in order to prepare you for a job in operations (tooling, theory, lean manufacturing, etc).

Awesome company to work for!

Engineering Co-Op Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Ingersoll Rand in February 2015.

A phone interview that consisted of only STAR related questions on past projects and classes. The interviewer was from university relations and very pleasant to talk to. This was the first of a series of phone interviews in their recruiting process. The interview was only about a half hour long.

Commodity Specialist Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Ingersoll Rand.

Process took 3 months. This is typical for IR, although I wish it wasn't. Onboarding was pretty quick though. They got me in place and work commenced immediately. I was hired going into the busy contract negotiation season, so that was a factor.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me of a time when you convinced management to make a change   Answer Question
    Did not negotiate base salary, but rather more vacation time for first year. Ongoing salary raises are standard, so I valued time off more.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Ingersoll Rand in January 2015.

I got an interview offer through a career fair at my college. The interview itself was mostly based on behavior based questions and the structure was pretty relaxed. The interview was about an hour long and very open ended even questions presented. The person conducting the interview worked with you if you got stuck and had follow up question to keep the conversation going fluidly.

Interview Questions
    • What was one error that you encountered and how did you react to it.   Answer Question

Accounting Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Ingersoll Rand in November 2014.

Phone interview, panel interview then individual interview, it was exhausting, scary uncomfortable. The panel that interviewed me was unfriendly and seemed cold. When you pull up to the building there is a guard there, make sure your interview lets them know you are coming.

Interview Questions
    • What will the most difficult thing for you to learn if you are hired?   View Answer

Human Resources Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Ingersoll Rand.

I submitted my resume onto a university job board and to IR. They scheduled an interview with me for the following week. They called and emailed me 6 weeks later saying I did not get the internship.

Good: it was a positive experience with friendly and fair recruiters.
    Bad: It took them 6 weeks to let me know the outcome.

Director Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Ingersoll Rand.

Was contacted after submitting resume and fast-tracked for a day-long series of one-on-one interviews. At the end of the interview day, both the hiring manager and recruiter said the process would move to the next phase and they would arrange logistics as I was recruited from out of town. However, a week later, HR left a voicemail simply stating they were going to look elsewhere. It took several attempts before HR replied to my request for a more informational explanation as to the change in response. Despite the odd finish to the interview process, it seems like a good company with dedicated employees.

Interview Questions
    • One interviewees worked directly from an interviewing worksheet, while the others used the time for conversation and dialogue.   Answer Question

Administrative Position Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Ingersoll Rand.

Recruiter was unprofessional. Never sent me a description of the position (expected me to look it up) and was difficult to schedule an interview with. He didn't even bother to tell me the location of the job which was in a different state. I was also well overqualified for opening. The recruiter never got back to me. because it was obvious he picked up on his mistakes.

Interview Questions
    • Does your current position include administrative duties?   Answer Question