Ingersoll-Rand

Ingersoll-Rand Interview Questions

Updated Nov 20, 2014
Updated Nov 20, 2014

Human Resources Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Ingersoll-Rand.

I submitted my resume onto a university job board and to IR. They scheduled an interview with me for the following week. They called and emailed me 6 weeks later saying I did not get the internship.

Good: it was a positive experience with friendly and fair recruiters.
    Bad: It took them 6 weeks to let me know the outcome.

Director Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Ingersoll-Rand.

Was contacted after submitting resume and fast-tracked for a day-long series of one-on-one interviews. At the end of the interview day, both the hiring manager and recruiter said the process would move to the next phase and they would arrange logistics as I was recruited from out of town. However, a week later, HR left a voicemail simply stating they were going to look elsewhere. It took several attempts before HR replied to my request for a more informational explanation as to the change in response. Despite the odd finish to the interview process, it seems like a good company with dedicated employees.

Interview Questions
    • One interviewees worked directly from an interviewing worksheet, while the others used the time for conversation and dialogue.   Answer Question

Administrative Position Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Ingersoll-Rand.

Recruiter was unprofessional. Never sent me a description of the position (expected me to look it up) and was difficult to schedule an interview with. He didn't even bother to tell me the location of the job which was in a different state. I was also well overqualified for opening. The recruiter never got back to me. because it was obvious he picked up on his mistakes.

Interview Questions
    • Does your current position include administrative duties?   Answer Question

Sales Engineer Interview

I had got an interview by attending the career fair at my college. The next day I had an on campus interview with a sales manager and a representative from hr. The interview process was roughly 45 minutes and asked many questions relating to sales and human interaction. Both interviewers were great and very easy to talk to.

Interview Questions
    • If your last employer could name one negative thing about you what would it be?   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Crosse, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Crosse, WI

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Ingersoll-Rand in August 2014.

The interview was a whole day affair from 8am to 3pm (and it even went a bit long). The meat of the interview happened in the morning after a tour from the hiring manager. There were 3 interviews, each was one hour and they were 2-on-1. Questions came from corporate forms and every question asked about specific experiences. This is the current trend in corporate hiring but they were pretty strict about not allowing hypothetical answers. Most questions began "Tell us about a time when you..." There were no highly technical questions or case studies.

After the formal interviews I was taken to lunch in one of the executive dining rooms. This was with the hiring manager and the two people who would be my co-workers. The lunch was quite long but it allowed us to see if I fit in well with the team. The food was excellent!

After lunch was a second more in-depth tour and a wrap-up discussion with the hiring manager. By the time I got to my car I was completely exhausted after being "on" for so long. No particular thing was difficult about the interview but the sum total of the day ranks this as one of the more difficult interviews I've been through.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time when you [insert something you haven't exactly done].   View Answer
    Offer came by phone followed by email late Friday. I was given a week deadline but recruiter wanted to talk early the following week. I decided over the weekend that I'd take it but was going to negotiate a bit. I asked for a little more money and an extra week of vacation and a slightly later start date (2 weeks later than they proposed). Recruiter said I needed to give him a dollar figure to take to the team, I asked for +5% salary, hoping for 3%, which is what they came back with. The surprising thing was that they cannot negotiate vacation. Everyone starts at 3 weeks regardless of level and experience. Postponed start date was not a problem.

Also, note that their background checks can take up to 4 weeks and that has to clear before the relocation package gets authorized. Be sure to consider this when negotiating your start date if you are moving for this job.

Commodity Specialist Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Ingersoll-Rand in July 2014.

I e-mailed my resume to the hiring manager from an employee referral off LinkedIn. The hiring manager called me a few weeks later and we talked for about 15 minutes. He liked me and my skills so I applied formally through their job postings site. The 2nd interview lasted about 30 minutes to go into more depth about my technical expertise. Then, I had a 3rd interview with the director the day before they officially offered the position. That was more of a formality just to clear everything up before they made a commitment. Sometimes I wasn't sure where I stood in the process, but overall it was a good experience.

Interview Questions
    • Something about Excel. Not that I didn't know it, but that they were looking for specific terms and it took a few tries before I got to what they were looking for.   Answer Question
    They told me what the budget range was and I was ok with it. They gave me the higher end of the range, so I didn't even bother negotiating.

Inventory Control Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Blue Ash, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Blue Ash, OH

I applied online – interviewed at Ingersoll-Rand.

Interview was brief and painless. At the time, I didn't know that Steelcraft had a very bad reputation so the questions were easy to answer with no surprises. The hiring process did not take very long.

They were begging people to work for them. Negotiation phase was easy.

Pension Analyst Interview

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at Ingersoll-Rand.

Used behavior based questions in a panel setting. Make sure you have questions prepared to ask panel and take your time answering questions. Be patient sometimes they are very slow making a decision.

Interview Questions
    • Group panel, difficult to get feedback. Study and memorize how to answer these types of questions properly and adequately. Do your research   Answer Question

Service Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Ingersoll-Rand.

Recruiter called based off of Linked In profile. Interview was with Regional Manager. Discussion focused on operations, P&L, and margin growth. No sales responsibilities or control. After interview, I got a call back to interview with branch manager and the other two division managers (sales and controls). Lots of questions regarding experiences, methods, prior successes, etc. After the group interview, there was another lunch and an offer. I didn't like the lack of sales control yet job success significantly restrained by sales.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle long time employees with low productivity and/or accuracy?   View Answer

Not enough sales and/or sales input.

Pension Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Davidson, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Davidson, NC

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Ingersoll-Rand in May 2014.

Contacted by staffing agent asked exp related questions salary req. Phone interview with IR the next day. Received a call same day that IR would like to have a face to face interview. Meet with two managers, they asked me questions about my exp. and my system skills. No 3rd degree type questions, very easy interview I think. The next day I was offered the position. Process was pretty fast, I would say it too about a week.

Interview Questions
    Pay was neg. I received 1.00 let than what I asked for.