Ingersoll Rand Interview Questions

Updated Aug 30, 2015

Sales Engineer Interview

Interview

I had got an interview by attending the career fair at my college. The next day I had an on campus interview with a sales manager and a representative from hr. The interview process was roughly 45 minutes and asked many questions relating to sales and human interaction. Both interviewers were great and very easy to talk to.

Interview Questions

• If your last employer could name one negative thing about you what would it be?   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in La Crosse, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Ingersoll Rand (La Crosse, WI) in August 2014.

Interview

The interview was a whole day affair from 8am to 3pm (and it even went a bit long). The meat of the interview happened in the morning after a tour from the hiring manager. There were 3 interviews, each was one hour and they were 2-on-1. Questions came from corporate forms and every question asked about specific experiences. This is the current trend in corporate hiring but they were pretty strict about not allowing hypothetical answers. Most questions began "Tell us about a time when you..." There were no highly technical questions or case studies. After the formal interviews I was taken to lunch in one of the executive dining rooms. This was with the hiring manager and the two people who would be my co-workers. The lunch was quite long but it allowed us to see if I fit in well with the team. The food was excellent! After lunch was a second more in-depth tour and a wrap-up discussion with the hiring manager. By the time I got to my car I was completely exhausted after being "on" for so long. No particular thing was difficult about the interview but the sum total of the day ranks this as one of the more difficult interviews I've been through.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you [insert something you haven't exactly done].   1 Answer

Negotiation

Offer came by phone followed by email late Friday. I was given a week deadline but recruiter wanted to talk early the following week. I decided over the weekend that I'd take it but was going to negotiate a bit. I asked for a little more money and an extra week of vacation and a slightly later start date (2 weeks later than they proposed). Recruiter said I needed to give him a dollar figure to take to the team, I asked for +5% salary, hoping for 3%, which is what they came back with. The surprising thing was that they cannot negotiate vacation. Everyone starts at 3 weeks regardless of level and experience. Postponed start date was not a problem. Also, note that their background checks can take up to 4 weeks and that has to clear before the relocation package gets authorized. Be sure to consider this when negotiating your start date if you are moving for this job.

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Ingersoll Rand in July 2014.

Interview

I e-mailed my resume to the hiring manager from an employee referral off LinkedIn. The hiring manager called me a few weeks later and we talked for about 15 minutes. He liked me and my skills so I applied formally through their job postings site. The 2nd interview lasted about 30 minutes to go into more depth about my technical expertise. Then, I had a 3rd interview with the director the day before they officially offered the position. That was more of a formality just to clear everything up before they made a commitment. Sometimes I wasn't sure where I stood in the process, but overall it was a good experience.

Interview Questions

• Something about Excel. Not that I didn't know it, but that they were looking for specific terms and it took a few tries before I got to what they were looking for.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They told me what the budget range was and I was ok with it. They gave me the higher end of the range, so I didn't even bother negotiating.

Inventory Control Interview

Anonymous Employee in Blue Ash, OH

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ingersoll Rand (Blue Ash, OH).

Interview

Interview was brief and painless. At the time, I didn't know that Steelcraft had a very bad reputation so the questions were easy to answer with no surprises. The hiring process did not take very long.

Negotiation

They were begging people to work for them. Negotiation phase was easy.

Pension Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Ingersoll Rand.

Interview

Used behavior based questions in a panel setting. Make sure you have questions prepared to ask panel and take your time answering questions. Be patient sometimes they are very slow making a decision.

Interview Questions

• Group panel, difficult to get feedback. Study and memorize how to answer these types of questions properly and adequately. Do your research   Answer Question

Service Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Ingersoll Rand.

Interview

Recruiter called based off of Linked In profile. Interview was with Regional Manager. Discussion focused on operations, P&L, and margin growth. No sales responsibilities or control. After interview, I got a call back to interview with branch manager and the other two division managers (sales and controls). Lots of questions regarding experiences, methods, prior successes, etc. After the group interview, there was another lunch and an offer. I didn't like the lack of sales control yet job success significantly restrained by sales.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle long time employees with low productivity and/or accuracy?   1 Answer

Not enough sales and/or sales input.

Pension Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Davidson, NC

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Ingersoll Rand (Davidson, NC) in May 2014.

Interview

Contacted by staffing agent asked exp related questions salary req. Phone interview with IR the next day. Received a call same day that IR would like to have a face to face interview. Meet with two managers, they asked me questions about my exp. and my system skills. No 3rd degree type questions, very easy interview I think. The next day I was offered the position. Process was pretty fast, I would say it too about a week.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Pay was neg. I received 1.00 let than what I asked for.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Davidson, NC

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Ingersoll Rand (Davidson, NC).

Interview

IR brings in a lot of contract help for certain projects, but then, let's go of full time PMs and dissolves global PMO department. Uncertain times in reorganization.

Interview Questions

• Managers & interview panel are 'forced' to ask questions from the targeted selection list. STAR format is imperative. Examples: Tell me about a time when your standard approach to problem solving didn’t produce the desired solution. What did you do? What was the outcome? What did you learn? Describe a time when you actively listened to the concerns of others and it changed your opinion. What did you learn? What did you do differently?   Answer Question

Reliability Engineer-mechanical Design Interview

Anonymous Employee in La Crosse, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Ingersoll Rand (La Crosse, WI).

Interview

Apply, brief HR phone interview mostly to line up a time for an initial phone interview with the hiring manager, in-person interview with hiring manager and people from the group you'll be working with most closely.

Interview Questions

• Mostly behavior based questions in the in-person interview so not too hard, most technical questions were asked by the hiring manager in the phone interview, but even then no rigorous technical questions.   1 Answer

OUTSIDE SALES Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Ingersoll Rand.

Interview

This was a very formal interview. The sales manager, general manager, and HR director were involved in the interview process. Presentation required for interview.

Interview Questions

• The questions asked during the interview were mainly behavioral-based questions, which can throw some interviewees off.   Answer Question