Initiative

Average Difficulty
10 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Initiative.

Interview Details – Great Interview People were nice and accommodating.

Interview Question – What is Media Planning?   View Answer

Assistant Media Planner

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Initiative.

Interview Details – Knew someone working there and was in contact with them. They sent my resume to HR. HR took forever to reply to emails and was rushed during my initial interview with them, which wasn't really an actual interview with questions- it was an odd first impression that I got from that call... HR then set up Skype interviews with various teams (accounts). Within days, I heard back via phone as to which teams were interested. 1 true interview on Skype before getting hired.

Definitely ask about what a typical day is like especially to someone who is in the same role, challenges current employees have faced, and ask to be interviewed by everyone on the team so you can know who you'll be working with every day. Your first impression of them counts just as much as their first impression of you.

Interview Question – Just your typical questions about why you want to be in advertising and to explain some of your past work experience   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – If there are certain company-paid benefits in the package that you don't need, try to negotiate the difference to be put into your salary.

Very Easy Interview

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Initiative in September 2013.

Interview Details – Got in touch with a recruiter basic questions asking why a career in advertising, why media planning? What interest me about advertising? If I was good with numbers.

Interview Question – Why switching to advertising   Answer Question

Los Angeles, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Initiative in July 2013.

Interview Details – The interview process ended up taking a while. I applied through the San Francisco office, and ended up interviewing with the New York and Los Angeles offices. Sometimes it was a bit hard to get ahold of HR or they would forget to call me.

I interviewed with 2 different teams at the LA office over skype. I got the impression that everyone was intelligent, social and welcoming. Everybody wanted to be realistic of what the job entails and the expectations. The interviews were quite casual and were overall a good experience.

They extended an offer the next day after calling my references - great to hear back so quickly.

Interview Question – What song would describe your work ethic? (I'm assuming this isn't a standard question)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There isn't negotiation. They offer all assistants the same pay across the board.

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Initiative in October 2012.

Interview Details – I first had a phone interview that went very well. We ended up scheduling an in person interview a few days later. The day before my interview I got a call saying they had selected another candidate and that my interview was canceled.

Interview Question – Why media?   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Initiative.

Interview Details – Submitted my resume through a friend who works there, contacted by HR for an interview. Went into the office to meet with multiple team members. HR was very disorganized throughout the process and did not book a room for the interview, so it was done in the reception area which I felt was very unprofessional. I felt like the interview with the team went really well, but I never heard back from the company afterwards even after trying to contact them. The entire process did not make me want to work at Initiative and I am happy that I was able to secure a job at another agency.

Interview Question – Basic interview questions relating to prior job experiences and interest in media.   Answer Question

Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Initiative in September 2012.

Interview Details – I sent in my resume and heard back about a week later. Then was scheduled for an interview for the following week. The interview took just over an hour. I met with 3 different people who are all a part of a team. They were all very nice and made me feel comfortable. The office itself has a very fun vibe with basketball hoops and video game rooms.

Interview Question – What are three things you have disliked about a manager and 3 things you like about a previous manager.   Answer Question

Los Angeles, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Initiative in January 2012.

Interview Details – HR was unorganized. Did not confirm interview time/dates until the very last minute. Did not return phone calls/emails.

The media teams I interviewed with were much more professional. They were easy to talk to and I felt comfortable during the entire interview. I was not offered a position, but I think that was due to my lack of knowledge about the job. Do your researcch!

Interview Question – Why do you want to work in media?   Answer Question

Los Angeles, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Initiative in June 2011.

Interview Details – I submitted an inquiry email with my cover letter and resume. A few weeks later I was contacted by a recruiter from the Los Angeles office for the Assistant Media Planner position for the Best Western account. I did a phone interview with her a few days later, which went great. She scheduled a face-to-face interview with the Senior Media Planner and Account Director. I thought the interview went okay. They were very friendly. Afterwards, the recruiter came back in to let me know they had more interviews and they would make a decision by that Friday and she'd get back to me. Well, after two weeks of waiting (I didn't want to be pushy), I finally emailed the recruiter to see what was the status of the position. After another week, she finally replied and said that the position was on hold.

Interview Question – What do you do in your spare time that relates to this position?   Answer Question

New York, NY

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Initiative in June 2011.

Interview Details – Interviewing with HR was good. Then I had a group interview with the team I'd assist with. The minute I walk into the office the lady gives me a look. They didn't take me seriously as a candidate. I feel as if they already decided who to hire, but kept the interviews going to keep up with appearances. It was a waste of my time. Word of advice don't interview candidates if you already know who you want to hire!

Interviews for Top Jobs at Initiative

Worked for Initiative? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Initiative Assistant Media Planner interview questions and advice. All 10 interview reviews posted anonymously by Initiative employees and interview candidates.