Innovative Interfaces, Inc

Relevance Date Difficulty

Technical Writer Interview

Technical Writer
Emeryville, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at Innovative Interfaces, Inc in March 2010.

Interview Details – The hiring process took forever. I was used to a fairly quick process: from start to finish the process took five weeks or less. It took took months for III to contact me after my interview!

Interview Question – Do you know UNIX?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They lowballed me and when I commented that the offer was the bottom of the quoted range, the HR person said, "this isn't a senior position". I asked her what that had to do with the quoted range for the offered position?

Customer Sales Interview

Customer Sales

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Innovative Interfaces, Inc in February 2011.

Interview Details – Initial phone interview by HR to screen me as a candidate. Second phone interview with the VP of Sales. Third interview was in-person with the manager. Fourth interview was a panel interview at corporate HQ with the President, CFO, CTO, VP of Sales, VP of Development and manager.

Interview Questions

• When I did the phone interview with the VP of Sales, she asked me if I was okay with traveling, since I have kids. The way she asked the question made it obvious that work/life balance wasn't something she supported.   View Answer
  • I asked the VP of Sales if the person who previously worked in the sales territory for which I was interviewing was still with the company and if that person hit their sales quota when they worked in the territory.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was offered a base salary, plus commission. The base salary was lower than the industry average but when I mentioned that to the hiring manager she said "It's not negotiable so don't even try."

User Interface Engineer Interview

User Interface Engineer
Emeryville, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Innovative Interfaces, Inc in May 2012.

Interview Details – After an initial phone screen, I was called in about a week later for a 2PM face to face interview with 2 of the technicians on the team. I had the impression that neither of them had done a great deal of interviewing before and therefore were not completely at ease with the situation, but they were friendly and offered a good amount of detailed information about their work. And they asked me a few general questions about my background, but interestingly, not a single technical question. Then the very next day I received a brief boiler-plate email that I had been removed from consideration. So given that they had not asked me many questions and had not seemed particularly interested in learning more about what I could do, I have the feeling their goal was mainly just to judge whether or not I 'fit in', whatever that meant (and hopefully the quick negative decision was not for reasons that would be considered discriminatory but unfortunately there is that possibility).

Interview Question – Describe a project that was interesting.   Answer Question

Systems Librarian Interview

Systems Librarian
Emeryville, CA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Innovative Interfaces, Inc in January 2007.

Interview Details – This was a fairly easy interview. A HR intern contacted me to do an initial phone screen. I said enough keywords to trigger the little alarm in his head that said, "Bring him in for a live interview."

The live interview consisted of a written test (to test my basic UNIX knowledge). I spent about an hour chatting with the manager about the position, my background, and my prior exposure to Innovative's software. It turned out we knew some of the same people in the industry, which made the time pass a bit more quickly.

Once it was done I met the director of the department and the VP. Slow business day? Standard procedure? I never found out. It was a nice treat to meet the levels above me, and convinced me to take teh job.

Interview Questions

Worked for Innovative Interfaces, Inc? Contribute to the Community!