InsideTrack

www.insidetrack.com

InsideTrack Interview Questions

3.4

Success Coach Interview

Multiple steps including personality and basic skills testing, phone interview/s (live or automated), in person or in office interview/s including possibility of group interview/s or group interactions, manager interview possible, drug testing, background check, etc.

Student Coach Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied online – interviewed at InsideTrack.

This was to be a 5-6 step interview process. After applying online, I was contacted by e-mail and asked to schedule an automated interview by phone. That's right - a pre-recorded message asked questions and recorded the answers. I passed that step and then received a phone interview, not passed.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

interviewed at InsideTrack in December 2012.

Went through four rounds of the same interview and received a form letter in the mail. In my opinion, don't waste your time.

College Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied online – interviewed at InsideTrack in October 2012.

It was a weird concept. There was no person to person, face to face contact where I could "sell myself." Inside Track emailed me indicating myself as a possible candidate for the position. The email prompted me to call their automated phone system where I was interviewed by a computer. I was asked five questions and given three minutes to answer...after the tone...press pound when finished. It was so impersonal and a strange way to evaluate interviewee's. I found it odd talking to nobody and feel I did not come across as myself.

Interview Questions
    • I did not find the questions difficult and I was prepared, it was just a very foreign concept and gave me an uncomfortable feeling.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at InsideTrack in September 2012.

Long process but totally worth it! Response time with interviewing process varies based on need, know some who it took 3 weeks/1 month to six months.

Online app/Resume
    Auto phone interview
    Phone interview
    Personality survey (in depth!)
    Group Interview
    Individual interview
    Background/Drug test
    Campus Interview

Overall, the process is really for you to get to know the company better and them you. It is very competitive, but also constructs a sense of team work very early on. They are really transparent with their hiring process if you want more information and ask them while in it.

The process is not difficult but does take some time and they really work to understand if you'd fit. I loved the process as it brought out self-discovery and understanding.

Number 1 suggestion: be yourself. The process is VERY much to make sure the fit is right. Not a job to "just have". The hiring process, training, and job are intense, so it's important to keep the culture growing, which they have done amazingly well.

Interview Questions
    • Most unexpected was the auto phone interview. It covers basic info you'd be asked at any job interview, format is just unusual.   Answer Question
    You get your offer within a certain range depending on experience/need, so no negotiation.

Student Coach Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at InsideTrack in July 2012.

A few days after I applied online, the main recruiter for the position called me for a phone screen. Questions included: what do you know/understand of InsideTrack's mission? Why did you apply? I received an email saying he wanted to see me for the next round of interviews and to fill in an online strength assessment. The next interview was a group interview with about 10 people. It started with introductions then a presentation of the company. Then time for questions. Then a group activity where you had to determine the top qualities for the job. Then 2 student coaches came to do individual interviews. There were 2 interviews: one with three questions in 7 minutes: what do you think makes insidetrack successful? what are you looking for in a job? and tell me a time you overcome a challenge and how. The other interview is a 20 minute role play: 5 minute pretend conversation with student having issues. Then critique yourself: what did you do well? what could be improved? Then the recruiter gave me feedback. You also had to fill in an application with 5 questions: what time management techniques do you use? describe a time you had to give someone feedback. How was performance assessed in your previous jobs? ...Three days later I received an email saying I wasn't selected.

Interview Questions
    • Being given feedback after the role play to see how I would react.   View Answer

College Admissions Coach Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at InsideTrack in June 2012.

I submitted by application online, which was not difficult. I was contacted for a surprise phone interview several weeks later. The interviewer was friendly, but "cardboard"—that is, corporate, professional, without personality. I was asked the typical questions asked by corporate companies, "what do you know about this company", "what is your experience", etc. I didn't feel like I had the chance to show who I was as a person, the interview was stiff and suited for a more corporate type of position than I had expected.

Interview Questions
    • The interviewer stated that "Inside Track is a very competitive business" and implied that passion for one's work and the students was not enough to succeed in this line of work, but that the real clients were the colleges and private firms. I was thrown off guard because I thought the position was all about coaching, and providing for the student's interests first, not the companies looking for numbers and "hard analytical proof" of success.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at InsideTrack in June 2012.

The interview process consisted of several different steps (in the following order):

Automated phone interview
    Personality test by email
    Follow-up 1 on 1 call with HR employee
    Group interview (with 1on1 role play)
    Final 1on1 interviews

This process took place over several days (roughly 10 days). The total time spent for the whole thing was ~5 hours.

Interview Questions

I declined the offer for a few reasons. The primary reason was that the starting salary is virtually the same for everyone; about $38k regardless of experience or education.

Secondary to that, I was greatly turned off by the interview process. For a $38k salary and a fairly easy job, the process was a bit excessive. In particular the group interview seemed unnecessary, as it was roughly 3 hours long and consisted mostly of listening to their HR team talk about the company and the job, all of which could be gleaned from the website.

InsideTrack Coach Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at InsideTrack in May 2012.

Long, detailed, and organized. I loved the group interview and was really impressed with the other candidates. I knew it was a company I would love to work for based on the people and mission to work with students. The environment was formal and professional, but still fun. People seemed authentic and like they really cared about what they were doing. Felt more like a career opportunity than just a paycheck.

Interview Questions
    • A lot of personality assessment and behavioral questions.   Answer Question
    They give a range during the interview process and I was happy with the initial offer.

University Coach Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

The process took a weekinterviewed at InsideTrack in May 2012.

After completing the online application and sending a cover letter, I was contacted by email a week later and informed that I had been selected to continue with the 7-part application/interview process. I was then instructed to follow the link in the email to continue the interview. This seemed strange but efficient to have had no contact with anyone given I'd been selected to continue in what was made out to be a seriously competitive position for pretty low wages. I clicked the link and was then instructed that I'd be getting a call soon with the next part of the interview. I expected to hear from a person but there was a voice recording prompting me to answer 5 questions concerning what I knew about the company and its mission, what I understood about the coaching role, how my past experience might qualify me for success in that role and how I'd dealt with any specific work challenge in my past. After 3 days, I received an actual signed email (by a real employee) telling me I'd been selected once again to continue with the next step, an online skills test and personality test which took about an hour to complete. 2 days passed and I received an email inviting me to join in one of the next 2 days of a group interview process at the company site, downtown Portland at the beautiful US Bank building. The group interview lasted 4 hours and included completing a written application, getting a rundown of the company profile, a group exercise testing your team-work abilities (Keep those sharp!) and 2 individual interviews: one in which we did a role play with me as coach and interviewee as student in mild crisis, not completing homework as promised the week before, adjusting to new childcare facility for his single-parented child,etc, etc, the challenges of staying focused, being accountable, and ultimately graduating from college while also making a living; the other interview was more serious and is worth preparing for. I was asked what 3 things make a good company and then if InsideTrack fit into those classifications, how I keep work separate from the rest of life, in what ways I think a coach is most beneficial to students, maybe a couple of other questions, and if I had any questions. The first of the individual interviews lasted 10 minutes and the second about 5. What the company doesn't tell you, and what was disappointing to me insofar as what the job looks like on the surface, is that the student coach is dealing with mostly non-traditional, distant-education students, not the high-school grads just entering college. When asked, they said 80-90% of the schools they work with are online schools. This job is a call-center job with a seemingly good work atmosphere, great views of the city and hard work for relatively low wages. But they're growing fast, and if you're willing to play the corporate game, there seems to be plenty of room for growth. Very concerned with metrics, cubicle work-place. I'd say the interview process is very competitive.

Interview Questions
    • What 3 qualities make a good company? Does InsideTrack fit into those categories and how?   Answer Question
    • Tell us about how you dealt with something you disagreed with in your professional history.   Answer Question