InsideTrack

20 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Coach Interview

Portland, OR

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at InsideTrack in April 2010.

Interview Details – Most people at InsideTrack would describe the interview and hiring process as long, multi-faceted and pretty grueling. The first interview is an automated voice that asks a question then lets you respond. Next, you get a phone interview with a recruiter. Then you are asked to come to the office for a group interview. From there, I've been told they invite one half back for an in-person 1:1 interview. Afterward, you get calls from several campus directors to see which team you might be a good fit for. They do a good job of keeping you engaged through the process by checking in with you to make sure you're still on board.

Interview Question – What makes you uniquely qualified for this position?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – At the time, I was inexperienced in negotiating my pay, so they told me over the phone what the offer was, and I accepted.

Student Coach Interview

Portland, OR

I applied online and interviewed at InsideTrack.

Interview Details – This was to be a 5-6 step interview process. After applying online, I was contacted by e-mail and asked to schedule an automated interview by phone. That's right - a pre-recorded message asked questions and recorded the answers. I passed that step and then received a phone interview, not passed.

Interview Question – None. The questions seemed fair and reasonable.   Answer Question

InsideTrack Coach Interview

Portland, OR

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at InsideTrack in May 2012.

Interview Details – Long, detailed, and organized. I loved the group interview and was really impressed with the other candidates. I knew it was a company I would love to work for based on the people and mission to work with students. The environment was formal and professional, but still fun. People seemed authentic and like they really cared about what they were doing. Felt more like a career opportunity than just a paycheck.

Interview Question – A lot of personality assessment and behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They give a range during the interview process and I was happy with the initial offer.

Nashville, TN

I interviewed at InsideTrack in December 2012.

Interview Details – Went through four rounds of the same interview and received a form letter in the mail. In my opinion, don't waste your time.

Interview Question – None.   Answer Question

College Advisor Interview

Portland, OR

I applied online - interviewed at InsideTrack in October 2012.

Interview Details – It was a weird concept. There was no person to person, face to face contact where I could "sell myself." Inside Track emailed me indicating myself as a possible candidate for the position. The email prompted me to call their automated phone system where I was interviewed by a computer. I was asked five questions and given three minutes to answer...after the tone...press pound when finished. It was so impersonal and a strange way to evaluate interviewee's. I found it odd talking to nobody and feel I did not come across as myself.

Interview Question – I did not find the questions difficult and I was prepared, it was just a very foreign concept and gave me an uncomfortable feeling.   Answer Question

Portland, OR

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at InsideTrack in September 2012.

Interview Details – Long process but totally worth it! Response time with interviewing process varies based on need, know some who it took 3 weeks/1 month to six months.

Online app/Resume
Auto phone interview
Phone interview
Personality survey (in depth!)
Group Interview
Individual interview
Background/Drug test
Campus Interview

Overall, the process is really for you to get to know the company better and them you. It is very competitive, but also constructs a sense of team work very early on. They are really transparent with their hiring process if you want more information and ask them while in it.

The process is not difficult but does take some time and they really work to understand if you'd fit. I loved the process as it brought out self-discovery and understanding.

Number 1 suggestion: be yourself. The process is VERY much to make sure the fit is right. Not a job to "just have". The hiring process, training, and job are intense, so it's important to keep the culture growing, which they have done amazingly well.

Interview Question – Most unexpected was the auto phone interview. It covers basic info you'd be asked at any job interview, format is just unusual.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – You get your offer within a certain range depending on experience/need, so no negotiation.

College Admissions Coach Interview

Portland, OR

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at InsideTrack in June 2012.

Interview Details – I submitted by application online, which was not difficult. I was contacted for a surprise phone interview several weeks later. The interviewer was friendly, but "cardboard"—that is, corporate, professional, without personality. I was asked the typical questions asked by corporate companies, "what do you know about this company", "what is your experience", etc. I didn't feel like I had the chance to show who I was as a person, the interview was stiff and suited for a more corporate type of position than I had expected.

Interview Question – The interviewer stated that "Inside Track is a very competitive business" and implied that passion for one's work and the students was not enough to succeed in this line of work, but that the real clients were the colleges and private firms. I was thrown off guard because I thought the position was all about coaching, and providing for the student's interests first, not the companies looking for numbers and "hard analytical proof" of success.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Senior Coach Interview

Senior Coach
Portland, OR

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at InsideTrack in November 2008.

Interview Details – InsideTrack had one hiring process for all new coaches, which was my original position. It consisted of 7 interviews; one group, then one on ones with HR and members of the lead team.

Interview Question – Role playing for the role I was to be in. A lead team member played the student and I coached them.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. I was told I would be qualified for a $6k raise after completing training, but the compensation structure was changed a few weeks later and I never received it, even though I was consistently in the top 10 producers of the company.

Student Coach Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at InsideTrack in July 2012.

Interview Details – A few days after I applied online, the main recruiter for the position called me for a phone screen. Questions included: what do you know/understand of InsideTrack's mission? Why did you apply? I received an email saying he wanted to see me for the next round of interviews and to fill in an online strength assessment. The next interview was a group interview with about 10 people. It started with introductions then a presentation of the company. Then time for questions. Then a group activity where you had to determine the top qualities for the job. Then 2 student coaches came to do individual interviews. There were 2 interviews: one with three questions in 7 minutes: what do you think makes insidetrack successful? what are you looking for in a job? and tell me a time you overcome a challenge and how. The other interview is a 20 minute role play: 5 minute pretend conversation with student having issues. Then critique yourself: what did you do well? what could be improved? Then the recruiter gave me feedback. You also had to fill in an application with 5 questions: what time management techniques do you use? describe a time you had to give someone feedback. How was performance assessed in your previous jobs? ...Three days later I received an email saying I wasn't selected.

Interview Question – Being given feedback after the role play to see how I would react.   View Answer

Portland, OR

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at InsideTrack in March 2011.

Interview Details – The most intense and simultaneously enjoyable interview process I've ever experienced. First there was a recorded, automated, phone interview, then a live phone interview, then a group interview with two one-on-one interviews in one day, then two more interviews and a job shadow. There was also a background check, drug test, personality test, basic skills test (math and reading comp if I remember correctly).

Interview Question – I don't remember specific questions, but we did do some role plays during the interview process.After the role play I was asked what i thought went well, and what I would do differently if I could start again.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate. The offer was laid out so well, with salary, paid time off for vacation, holidays, and sick leave, flexible spending accounts for medical, childcare, and commute, 401K, etc. I just said YES!

Interviews for Top Jobs at InsideTrack

Worked for InsideTrack? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at InsideTrack interview questions and advice. All 20 interview reviews posted anonymously by InsideTrack employees and interview candidates.