InsideTrack Student Coach Interview Questions

3.8

5 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied online - interviewed at InsideTrack.

This was to be a 5-6 step interview process. After applying online, I was contacted by e-mail and asked to schedule an automated interview by phone. That's right - a pre-recorded message asked questions and recorded the answers. I passed that step and then received a phone interview, not passed.

Other Interview Reviews for InsideTrack

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at InsideTrack in July 2012.

A few days after I applied online, the main recruiter for the position called me for a phone screen. Questions included: what do you know/understand of InsideTrack's mission? Why did you apply? I received an email saying he wanted to see me for the next round of interviews and to fill in an online strength assessment. The next interview was a group interview with about 10 people. It started with introductions then a presentation of the company. Then time for questions. Then a group activity where you had to determine the top qualities for the job. Then 2 student coaches came to do individual interviews. There were 2 interviews: one with three questions in 7 minutes: what do you think makes insidetrack successful? what are you looking for in a job? and tell me a time you overcome a challenge and how. The other interview is a 20 minute role play: 5 minute pretend conversation with student having issues. Then critique yourself: what did you do well? what could be improved? Then the recruiter gave me feedback. You also had to fill in an application with 5 questions: what time management techniques do you use? describe a time you had to give someone feedback. How was performance assessed in your previous jobs? ...Three days later I received an email saying I wasn't selected.

Interview Questions
    • Being given feedback after the role play to see how I would react.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at InsideTrack in June 2011.

Started with a phone interview with some one in HR. That took about 20 minutes. After that I was invited to participate in a group interview, but they didn't really ask questions. We did a teamwork-type exercise in small groups and then we were asked to give each other feedback. After the group interview, we each did one-on-one coaching sessions with an HR rep. Basically, this is a roleplay as to what the actual job is like. The next round is another, longer roleplay with a different HR rep coupled with a brief conventional interview with a senior manager. Finally, I interviewed with my future campus director--my understanding is three people got to that step.

Interview Questions
    • What would you tell a student who lost his/her home is considering dropping out of college as a result?   View Answer
    They offered me $1000 more than I asked for, so I shut up and took it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at InsideTrack in April 2011.

Very detailed interview; phone screen, group interview, 1 on 1, second round more in depth, job shadow, campus fit interview, background check including drug screen.
    They take time to make sure you understand a lot about the company and get all your questions answered the deeper you get in the process.

Their starting salary is defined early.

Student Coach Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at InsideTrack.

I filled in the online application, attaching my resume and cover letter - also stated who my internal referral was. Two days later I received a phonecall wanting to set up a phone interview (my internal referral had been asked to submit a reference the day after I'd applied online). I had a 20 min phone interview the next day which included asking me why I wanted to work for the company, what I thought the job of a coach was, and what of my professional experience would make me a good coach. At the end of the interview I was invited to come to the headquarters for a group interview. I then was emailed a link to take an online personality/skills test.
    5 days later I attended a group interview with 7 people total. There was a presentation by the two recruiters about the company, then we split into two groups and did an activity. We had to come up with the 5 top traits of a good student coach.
    Afterwards we had individual interviews for 10 min. each. One was a 2 minute roleplay - difficult student situation - failing class, didn't turn in a paper because kids were dropped off at the house by the ex wife unexpectedly. 2nd interview was questions about what I thought made a good company - traits and there were a couple other questions I forgot.
    While this was going on, we filled in a paper application with questions about how we manage time, when did you have to give difficult feedback to someone.

About 30 min. after I left the building I received a call asking me to come in for an individual interview the next morning.

The next morning I met with both a recruiter as well as a campus director. The 20 min interview with the recruiter was basically just trying to get to know me better. "What do you think will be the most challenging thing for you as a coach?" "how would you define failure?"
    The interview with the campus director was a 10 min. roleplay. The key to the roleplay is to ask leading questions... not ones which require a yes or a no only. Share your own experience if you think it'll help the 'student' to understand you more.

I heard back a week later that I was going to interview with 2 campus directors by phone. And my references were contacted. I was asked to do a drug test. Two days after that interview I was offered the job.

Interview Questions
    • The roleplays are difficult. Don't give up if the student is difficult, keep going, keep asking questions, keep making them talk. Empathy is very important.   Answer Question
    They are up front about the starting salary range. I got what I asked for.

Worked for InsideTrack? Contribute to the Community!