Insitu Interview Questions

Updated Sep 28, 2014
Updated Sep 28, 2014

2.8

Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Insitu.

Phone screen with the hiring manager followed by a panel interview with six people including team members and HR. The questions focused on the applicant providing examples of various skills/situations from one's work history. None of the questions were not unusual or unexpected. The interview process is very condensed, so have your key questions ready. history.

Procurement Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bingen, WA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Insitu in April 2014.

The interview process is pretty standard for the industry. I received an email stating intent to conduct the first interview via phone. My first interview was with HR. They discussed the position, the location (HUGE part of working there), briefly touched on benefits, and discussed a few questions pertaining to behavior and experience.

At the conclusion of the first interview, I was told that she would like to schedule the second phone interview. The second interview was a telephone interview with two direct report managers. They were excellent, friendly, encouraging, and asked very good questions. It seemed that their questions were pretty standard deck (google top 20 interview questions and you won't be shocked), with a few tweaks for the position and industry (CPSR, FAR, contracting, negotiations, etc.). Both managers took turns asking the questions, and often times subsequent dialogue happened.

At the end of the second interview, I was thanked and some cordial exchanges were given. It was about 2 weeks later that I was invited for an on-site interview. They fly you into Portland and have you stay in Hood River. One word: AMAZING.

The third interview was a rather long ordeal. It started with a panel of leads/peers. I believe it was supposed to be 3-4 people, but I ended up with 2. The team seemed excellent with a great grasp of the industry, the job, the future of the company, and a breadth of experience. The questions were more experience based. Things like "Describe a time...." It felt like it was a repeat of the phone interview with the managers. It was definitely more of a dialogue, as the panel and I exchanged war stories. They definitely made it feel less like a grilling and more like a conversation among peers.

After the peer interview, the two managers that I interviewed with on the phone and a representative from HR conducted the final interview. This was an excellent chance to air out concerns, reinforce the realities of the job, and further explore the experience and opportunities of both myself and the company. The managers seemed to be very professional, but with an air of compassion. Like your uncle being your baseball/softball coach. They smiled a lot, asked very professional and direct questions, and are clearly the right guys for the job. There was a lot of conversation about the future of the company (if you are reading this, then you are likely aware of their history from garage to global), the evolution of the job, and the potential challenges one would face entering the company right now. For the most part, the list of questions all 3 were reading were typical interview questions (again, if you are researching the interview process and this company, you are probably prepared for the questions), but what sets this team apart is the conversation between the "Tell me about a time's" and the "Please describe's". It is obvious the interviewers were excellent negotiators by the amount of information they get between questions.

Be prepared to ask good questions. The team, from the first interview to the after-communication is very open and have a wealth of knowledge. They have a very good grasp of the community, the living, the company, the industry, the job, and the requirements.

Interview Questions
    • "Describe a time when you purposely broke a rule." For a job position that is pretty cut and dry on following Public Law (TINA, FAR, etc.), this was a very unexpected and difficult question to answer. Remember to be as honest as you can, but provide a rationale, lesson learned, and path forward.   Answer Question

The pay was very competitive. The benefits are pretty amazing (iChoose is a BRILLIANT plan). The vacation/holiday are pretty standard. The company seems excellent. The product is cutting edge. The ability to be a vehicle of change is great. The long term career potential looked excellent. Even the seclusion and wind of the Columbia River Gorge was alluring. Unfortunately, a lateral move was not worth relocating my entire family for. Educational assistance was a big hitter for me too. Their offer negotiations took quite some time, but they were definitely flexible (to a point). I would absolutely take a job in the future with the company, with a few modified personal variables.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hood River, OR

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Insitu in July 2012.

The style of interviewing is by panel. The first hour was spent being interviewed by 3 managers, then the 2nd hour was by 4 project managers. They didn't follow the behavioral style interview, but more technical and process type questions. The Hood River area is a small community and they seemed to be quite concerned about my reasons for wanting to move, whether I would commit to stay. At the end there was an HR representative that showed up 15+ minutes late who went over the benefits at Insitu. I was told that they would make a decision by the end of the week. I waited a month and had to send repeated emails to HR to find out whether they had made a decision.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me to list 5 things that a project manager should/must track. What personality category did I fit in; wanting to be liked or to be feared? (sounded like a trick question.) What was my main skill that I used to run a project?   View Answer

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hood River, OR

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Insitu in April 2012.

I found the position through a head hunter's posting online. I emailed the head hunter and sent my resume. I had about a one hour phone interview with the hiring manager at Insitu. I did not hear anything back for several weeks. Eventually, after a hiring freeze was lifted, I was invited for an onsite interview. The onsite interview was about 3.5 hours long. I interviewed with 7 different people at Insitu. Questions were easy and mainly consisted of explaining my background. Very few behavioral questions were asked. I thought I did very well during the interview and was expecting an offer.

I found it curious that they flew me across the country to interview in a conference room for 3.5 hours without showing me around the office, facilities or anything. It gave me a bad impression, I felt like they were just going through the motions and were not serious about finding someone for the position.

Additionally, the HR representative I talked with said Insitu has the best benefits she has ever seen. Insitu's benefits, while okay, are not nearly the best I have ever seen.

Interview Questions

After about a week and a half after the interview, the head hunter called me and said Insitu was wondering if I would be interested in a contract position with no relocation. It was commented that I would need "some time to get up to speed" and that after being on contract a few months maybe they would hire me in full-time. I found this curious because I felt my background matched very well with the position and I would be able to bring in an expertise that they were lacking. They also knew that I currently have a good job with decent benefits so I do not think they were serious about hiring me. In summary, I was excited about the opportunity to interview at Insitu and see their facility and product. However, I feel like my time was wasted and they were not serious about this position. I think they are struggling to grow right now considering the current defense budget constraints and cannot provide adequate offers to bring in new talent.

Intern Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hood River, OR

The process took a dayinterviewed at Insitu in December 2011.

The interview was just basically a run down of your scholastic experience and projects.

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hood River, OR

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Insitu in September 2011.

Seems disorganized. Hiring manager was young and inexperienced. I went through a pre-screen process and was then invited to a site interview. I think the hiring manager missed several key details on my resume and application that should have filtered me out, instead I wasted time traveling across the country interviewing for a position below my qualifications. Ultimately I was not offered a position.

Mechanical Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bingen, WA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Insitu in July 2011.

I got a call about 2 months before the fall internship period to schedule an interview. The interview panel consisted of 5 individuals: my future mentor if accepted, 2 people from their team (in my case the mechanical engineering subgroup), financial manager head and HR representative. Very nice group of people who make you feel at ease. Interview lasted about an hour. It took forever for them to get back to me, finally calling with the acceptance notification around 2 weeks before the internship started, but it was all worth it. Living expenses are heavily discounted and the compensation was fantastic. Overall a top quality place to work as an intern: they really bring you into the team and make you a part of everything they do.

Interview Questions
    • If you encountered a problem while working on a project in a team environment, how would you approach the solution?   Answer Question
    Hourly wage is based on academic year standing (ie junior, senior ect.). Guideline on whether or not that is dependent on years spent in a 4 year college or equivalent credits is blurred, you can argue for whatever is most to your advantage.

Pilot Instructor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bingen, WA

The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Insitu in January 2011.

Was interviewed for a UAS pilot instructor position in January 2011. After conducting one phone interview with two individuals, I was asked to phone interview a second time with a panel of my potential peers. Both phone calls took 1.5 hours each. After the second phone interview, I was told that someone would be contacting me in a week, two at the max. After 4 weeks, I called and called and called, and no one would return my calls. I emailed, and nothing. I continued to interview for other positons, and after 4 months, I get a call saying how they "loved me" and that they are working on getting me an offer. OK, sounds great. After another month of trying to contact someone for info, and getting no return calls or emails, I took another job somewhere else. After 5 more weeks, I get a call asking for me to come up and do a personal interview with a possible job offer! I declined and they were offended that I would not accept their invitation. Now, they have called me again, asking me to interview for a different position. I did interview for this different position. After the interview, I was told that HR would get back with me, but don't expect it to be quickly. "We have issues with our HR department" is what I was told. OK. If you know your HR dept is messed up, don't tell a potential employee that!! I called them to see where I am in the process, and its been 3 weeks, and no return calls. Nice.....

Interview Questions
    • Why would you want to work for Insitu?   View Answer

Due to their lack of getting back to me and not letting me know my status required me to accept a position elsewhere.

International Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bingen, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Insitu in November 2010.

While Insitu has a great product, there was little respect in the post-interview process.
    Interviewed for a half hour with a rep from HR, and 1.5 hours (it was supposed to take one hour) with two employees from the department. Everyone I spoke with was very personable and friendly.

I was told I would be contacted within a week, or perhaps a week longer. After a week and a half I called to ensure they had received my email with additional materials, but did not receive an email or phone response.

After two and a half weeks, contacted the other individual from the second interview, who told me that they were having "internal difficulties," and that she did not know what was going on. She told me to contact HR. I am assuming she knew the position had been filled, but shirked from the responsibility from telling me.

A half hour after I contacted the HR rep, he told me the position had been filled.

I guess they had filled the position but forgot to tell me.

Very disrespectful for a hopelessly job seeker would have otherwise spent that time seeking other positions. While I have interviewed for other positions in the past, this was by far the worst experience.

Interview Questions
    • What were your grades in quantitative classes?   Answer Question
    • Someone wants us to develop a product. Run a business case on this.   Answer Question

Financial Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bingen, WA

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Insitu in July 2009.

general questions about background... nothing special or technical.
    Basically if you got to face to face interview, you were hired.

Interview Questions
    I said what I wanted and got it.