Institut Pasteur Interview Questions in Paris

Updated Apr 25, 2015

Postdoctoral Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paris (France)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Institut Pasteur (Paris (France)).

Interview

I interviewed for the position in early 2014. The process entailed giving a talk about my past research (i.e. experience), lunch with prospective PI and time to meet prospective lab mates. I did not meet with an HR representative or head of units. Although I was offered the position during the interview, nothing official (offer letter) outlining my salary, benefits, holidays etc was provided. Furthermore, prior to my arrival, nor during the interview, was I given official documents outlining these details (i.e. in the job posting, on the website, or Employee Handbook). I was made officially aware of the details of my employment after i unofficially accepted the position with the PI. After that, Institute Pasteur sent me a very brief one page "offer" letter (with gross annual salary, start date, contract length, and some legal jargon). I signed this offer letter to officially accept the job. No other official employment details were provided before my first day on the job.

For travel, Institute Pasteur covered the costs. However, I was required to personally book and pay for the flight and hotel. After returning to the USA, i had to snail mail Pasteur the flight and hotel receipts and provided personal banking information for the wire transfer to get reimbursed. From booking and payment to reimbursement to took approx. 5 months.

Institute Pasteur did cover the costs for two nights in Europe because of the distance i had to travel. This gave me a little time to see the city.

Overall the interview process was as expected for a Postdoc position except the lack of employment specifics such as salary, benefits, time off etc. either before the interview or during. This prevented adequate information to accept the job or negotiate details of my contract during the interview. In fact, I wasnt made aware of my employment details until my first day on the job, not due to the lack of trying.

Interview Questions

• Basic scientific knowledge questions, and personal status questions (i.e. age, dependents, marital status, country of origin).   1 Answer

Postdoctoral Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paris (France)

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Institut Pasteur (Paris (France)) in November 2013.

Interview

A postdoc position was available in the lab where I am working now. My Project Investigator asked my former PhD supervisor if I would be interested, because the project was a continuing of my PhD thesis. After a phone meeting followed few months later by a visit of his lab, I accepted the position. A common research project has been send and accepted by some funding calls, ending the process of hiring.

Interview Questions

• As the project more or less continues that of my PhD thesis. Question were the background and the state of the art associated to the pathogenesis of the studied virus.   Answer Question

(Translated from English)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Institut Pasteur (Paris (France)) in September 2012.

Interview

J'ai passé un entretien individuel avec le chef d'équipe après avoir posté ma candidature en ligne contenant mon CV et une lettre de motivation. Deux jours plus tard j'ai reçu une réponse positive et le processus avec les RH a duré trois semaines.

I had a 1:1 interview with the team leader after my online application where i sent my resume and a motivation letter, after 2 days I got the answer which was positive and the process with HR took 3 weeks.

Interview Questions

• La question la plus difficile concernait mes capacités à réaliser une tâche que je n'avais jamais faite auparavant en un temps limité.   the most difficult question concerned my abilities to do some task that I have never done before in a short time.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Je n'ai pas pu négocier l'offre ; pour les étudiants postdoctoraux les salaires sont déjà décidés et il n'y a pas de négociation.

(Translated from English)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Institut Pasteur (Paris (France)) in September 2009.

Interview

J'ai visité plusieurs laboratoires dans mon domaine et parlé avec les patrons de mon parcours et de mes objectifs. On a parlé d'éventuels projets, du laboratoire et de son équipement, de l'institut, des bénéfices, du coût de la vie dans cet endroit, du rapport travail/coût de la vie. Je me suis servi de cela pour choisir un laboratoire et faire une demande de financement. C'était plus une cession de recrutement qu'un entretien.

Visited several laboratories in my field and spoke with the directors about my background and lab goals. Discussed possible projects, lab environment, lab equipment, institute environment, benefits, cost of living in surrounding area, work/life balance. Used this to select lab and apply for funding. It was as much a recruitment as an interview.

Interview Questions

• Spécificité au domaine d'expertise, non applicable.   Specific to area of expertise, not applicable.   Answer Question

Negotiation

J'ai demandé des financements, je les ai reçus, j'ai juste eu à négocié sur la date de début.

Boursier Postdoctoral Interview

Anonymous Employee in Paris (France)

(Translated from English)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Institut Pasteur (Paris (France)) in April 2009.

Interview

Premier échange par e-mail, après un déplacement depuis mon pays d'origine à Paris pour faire une prestation et un entretien ; après, un mois à gérer les papiers entre le Portugal et la France

Initial comunication by e-mail, after one displacement from my coutry of origin to paris to do a prensation and an interview; after one month to deal with the bureaucracy between Portugal and France.

Interview Questions

• Ce n'était pas particulièrement difficile, c'était plutôt une conversation   there was not a particular dificult, it was more a conversation   Answer Question