Institute for Defense Analyses Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Jun 11, 2014
11 interviews

2.6

Research Associate Interview

I applied online and was asked to come in for an interview about a month later. Everyone was very nice and professional by email. They flew me out and put me up in a hotel. I started with an HR interview, which was pretty basic and the HR person was nice and relaxed. I then had a panel interview. Most of the researchers were very nice, polite and asked good questions. One of the researchers was oddly aggressive and outright rude several times. He repeated questions that had already been asked and seemed very uninterested and annoyed. With the exception of this individual, I did find everyone to be professional and cordial, but it was a red flag and a few comments made by other interviewers along the way led me to suspect there are some tensions within the office. After the interview, I never heard from them again and accepted an offer somewhere else.

Interview Questions
    • The interviewers asked standard interview questions. Nothing particularly difficult.   Answer Question

Publications Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Alexandria, VA
    Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I interviewed online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Institute for Defense Analyses in October 2010.

I applied online in June or July and forgot about it; I got a phone call in October and set up an interview for the following week. The interview was with four people in four different rooms: first an HR rep discussing company benefits; then half an hour with a very nice lady with whom I would have been working daily had I gotten the job; then half an hour with the "administrative officer" of the department; and then about fifteen minutes with the department director (I don't think that person liked me). After I left the building, I never heard another word from them.

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Institute for Defense Analyses.

I got the interview through a personal contact. The interview consisted of multiple one on one interviews with staff members, a "job talk" (i.e. formal presentation of your research), a lunch, a panel discussion with multiple staff members asking you questions, and finally a meeting with the division director. I was at their campus for about 8 hours. Everyone is genuinely nice and extremely professional, but they clearly take HR decisions very seriously and will bore down into your strengths and weaknesses with a high degree of accuracy and candor. I personally think is admirable and reflects an organizational focus on getting the right kind of person, but some may find it intimidating. There was a particular focus on cultural fit and methodological tools. Be prepared to talk about your weaknesses. I received an informal offer a three weeks later and a formal one a week after that. In terms of timeframe, that's definitely slower than the private sector but far faster than government. All in all, a very fair and positive process, and I'm excited to be joining them.

Interview Questions
    • How would you feel about your work product only being consumed by a few people, as opposed to a wider audience?   Answer Question
    Very generous offer, and didn't feel the need to negotiate.

Multimedia and Conference Support Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Institute for Defense Analyses in November 2011.

first step was a phone interview describing the job and what the position entails. then basic questions on skills and knowledge. the second step was a callback for an interview with the supervisor and manager. that was pretty straightforward. all questions pertaining to my past skill set and why i would be a good fit.

then if i passed them there was a third interview with the Division director. he pretty much reiterated what was asked the last interview.

Interview Questions
    • it was pretty straight forward from what i could remember. nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Economist Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Institute for Defense Analyses.

met at annual conference

Interview Questions
    • Why is your research any different from just comparing averages?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

The process took a day - interviewed at Institute for Defense Analyses in May 2012.

The style of this interview followed those for faculty job interviews at research universities. A week after I applied I got an invitation for a full-day interview at the HQs in Alexandria. Everybody there was nice. The interview consisted of about 8 half-hour interviews with other research staff members, a one-hour presentation on my research work, and a lunch. All the interviewees were friendly and just wanted to learn about my research work, no hard questions or anything like that. The presentation atmosphere was a lot like colloquium style at universities.

Interview Questions
    Salary offered was generous.

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Institute for Defense Analyses in September 2010.

Met with a member of HR and then two Senior Analysts.

Interview Questions
    • How would you conduct research? What would you use to help you with your research?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Institute for Defense Analyses in March 2010.

The hiring process was much like most typical internship processes - throw your resume, cover letter, and transcript into a black hole and hope to hear back. Luckily for me I did hear back. The interview was about half an hour to forty five minutes and the PhD's interviewing me were very nice (seems like they're more brutal with Research Staff Member and Research Assistant candidates than Intern candidates). Week or two later I got the offer.

Anonymous Employee  in  Alexandria, VA
    Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Institute for Defense Analyses in February 2008.

I started with 30 minute on-campus interview following application through the university's career center. This interview was pretty standard and unremarkable.

The site interview followed a few weeks later. The day started with a meeting with an HR/recruiting staff member, and covered general background (mine and theirs) and benefits. The rest of the day was 6-7 short (about 30 minutes) one-on-one interviews with members of the research staff, a long lunch interview with the head of one of the divisions, and a seminar presenting some of my research to members of that division. The short interviews were so brief that I question their utility both to IDA and to myself, as little time was available for getting beyond the standard initial questions.

The staff were generally friendly and seemed like they would be good coworkers. However, the work they were doing in that division did not particularly interest me. Though I specified divisions of interest when I applied, I did not interview with any of those; I'm not sure how the process of circulating applications works, but this is the potential result.

The administrative details of my visit (including reimbursement) were carried out quickly and without fuss. The offer came through about 2-3 weeks later.

Interview Questions
    • Why don't you want to go to Wall Street and make more money?   Answer Question

Offer from a peer company in a research area that interested me more.

Research Staff Member Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at Institute for Defense Analyses in August 2010.

Interview process was an all-day affair, meeting with various members of the staff prior to meeting with the division director for the final phase discussion. The interviews ranged from the initial staff members who were involved directly in the area of the organization that I would be working with and that I had prior working relationships with due to other projects with my previous employer. The interviews then shifted to a number of staff members who were involved in other areas of research, but were examples of the various specialties doing work within the directorate. Each had a different avenue of questioning to see what my background was, what kind of work I was looking for and to provide details on what it was like to work for the organization from their perspective.
    Mid-day of the interview process was taken up by a presentation session where the applicant was to demonstrate briefing skills and analysis of a subject (chosen by the applicant with help from the sponsor.) Briefing was question and answer formatted around a slide presentation of the topic. Duration was about one hour.
    Final interview was with the division director and covered the aspects of working for the organization from a personal goals point of view. Interview was steered toward getting the point across that the organization was a fairly flat hierarchy of management, and based mainly on an academic atmosphere of operations. Candidates looking for upward mobility and advancement within the organization would be advised to look for another organization due to the strong possibility that working at IDA may not satisfy those desires and the hired person would eventually leave the organization for another more fitting to their career goals.

Interview Questions
    • Pre-brief: Put together a one-hour presentation on a topic of an analytical nature and brief a panel of 20-30 staff members.   Answer Question
    • Are you looking for opportunity for advancement and management of people here?   Answer Question

Worked for Institute for Defense Analyses? Contribute to the Community!