Institute for Defense Analyses Interview Questions

Updated Apr 17, 2015

2.6

Ra Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Institute for Defense Analyses (Alexandria, VA) in April 2015.

Interview

My interview process seemed rather quick. I was contacted within two weeks of submitting my application online for a phone interview, and scheduled an on-site interview a week after that. The on-site interview process was enjoyable with a blend of meetings with human resources and senior research staff personnel. I gave a talk (~45-60 mins) on previous work for the group of people who would have input on application. Everyone was very friendly and cordial.

Interview Questions

• Do you consider yourself a creative person? Provide an example illustrating your answer.   Answer Question

Research Staff Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Institute for Defense Analyses (Alexandria, VA) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied online to a variety of Research Staff Member positions at IDA over several months. Some seemed like better fits than others based on the job description, but I figured that there was no harm in applying. I then got an e-mail about setting up a phone interview for a position for which I had applied roughly a month before.

The phone interview lasted a little over an hour, and was very interesting and enjoyable. The interviewer was incredibly friendly and it was clear that he really enjoyed his job. He described in broad strokes the kind of work this particular division performed, and how it fit into the larger Pentagon structure. He then asked me about my work and interests. I got an e-mail about three weeks later inviting me for an on-site interview. It would be an all-day interview, and I would have to give a ~40 minute presentations (total 1 hour with questions) on my research. The e-mail was very detailed about what I could expect, and also had very helpful instructions on what they were looking for in a presentation. This was encouraging, as it was clear they were not trying to trick me, and wanted to see me at my best.

They flew me out and put me up in a very nice hotel just a few minutes’ walk from the building. After arriving I met with an HR representative, then two research staff members one after the other, and then gave my talk. Next came lunch at a nearby restaurant with a few of the people who had seen my talk, then I met with a panel of four people, then another one on one interview, and then finally an interview with the division director.

Everyone was extremely friendly and welcoming - it’s hard to overemphasize this. I was very impressed with not only how nice they were to me, but how well they got along with each other, most notably during my talk, at lunch, and in the panel interview. These interactions with larger groups were very illuminating about what I could expect if I accepted a job there. The individual interviews were also instructive, and I learned a lot about the kind of work I would be expected to do, which sounded both interesting and challenging. It was easy to see that everyone enjoyed their work.

The presentation was actually quite enjoyable. The atmosphere was casual, and people asked questions during the talk as well as at the end. I was impressed with the caliber of the questions. I was given the impression that the presentation was a very important part of the interview, and that it went a long way toward getting me a job offer. I was never asked any hostile or openly adversarial questions in the interviews or in my presentation.

Nearly everyone mentioned the strength of the work/life balance at IDA, which various acquaintances of mine there have confirmed. The benefits and salary are competitive. Many of the people I met with had worked there for 10 or 20 years, some even longer. They made it clear that IDA is a very flat organization, and that if I wanted rapid promotion and managerial roles I should look elsewhere.

Overall, it was an exhausting day, but I was able to form a very strong and positive impression of the place.

Security Guard Interview

Interview

The interviewers were the Lead Captain and the Physical Security Manager. They were very professional and courteous. It's a great place to work of you're a researcher if you're a PhD. Folks here tend to work for the company for extended periods. With many retiring.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

A letter arrives in mail, and you call the number provided.

Research Associate Interview

Interview

I applied online and was asked to come in for an interview about a month later. Everyone was very nice and professional by email. They flew me out and put me up in a hotel. I started with an HR interview, which was pretty basic and the HR person was nice and relaxed. I then had a panel interview. Most of the researchers were very nice, polite and asked good questions. One of the researchers was oddly aggressive and outright rude several times. He repeated questions that had already been asked and seemed very uninterested and annoyed. With the exception of this individual, I did find everyone to be professional and cordial, but it was a red flag and a few comments made by other interviewers along the way led me to suspect there are some tensions within the office. After the interview, I never heard from them again and accepted an offer somewhere else.

Interview Questions

• The interviewers asked standard interview questions. Nothing particularly difficult.   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Institute for Defense Analyses (Alexandria, VA).

Interview

I got the interview through a personal contact. The interview consisted of multiple one on one interviews with staff members, a "job talk" (i.e. formal presentation of your research), a lunch, a panel discussion with multiple staff members asking you questions, and finally a meeting with the division director. I was at their campus for about 8 hours. Everyone is genuinely nice and extremely professional, but they clearly take HR decisions very seriously and will bore down into your strengths and weaknesses with a high degree of accuracy and candor. I personally think is admirable and reflects an organizational focus on getting the right kind of person, but some may find it intimidating. There was a particular focus on cultural fit and methodological tools. Be prepared to talk about your weaknesses. I received an informal offer a three weeks later and a formal one a week after that. In terms of timeframe, that's definitely slower than the private sector but far faster than government. All in all, a very fair and positive process, and I'm excited to be joining them.

Interview Questions

• How would you feel about your work product only being consumed by a few people, as opposed to a wider audience?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Very generous offer, and didn't feel the need to negotiate.

Economist Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Institute for Defense Analyses.

Interview

met at annual conference

Interview Questions

• Why is your research any different from just comparing averages?   Answer Question

Research Staff Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at Institute for Defense Analyses (Alexandria, VA) in May 2012.

Interview

The style of this interview followed those for faculty job interviews at research universities. A week after I applied I got an invitation for a full-day interview at the HQs in Alexandria. Everybody there was nice. The interview consisted of about 8 half-hour interviews with other research staff members, a one-hour presentation on my research work, and a lunch. All the interviewees were friendly and just wanted to learn about my research work, no hard questions or anything like that. The presentation atmosphere was a lot like colloquium style at universities.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Salary offered was generous.

Multimedia and Conference Support Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Institute for Defense Analyses (Alexandria, VA) in November 2011.

Interview

first step was a phone interview describing the job and what the position entails. then basic questions on skills and knowledge. the second step was a callback for an interview with the supervisor and manager. that was pretty straightforward. all questions pertaining to my past skill set and why i would be a good fit.

then if i passed them there was a third interview with the Division director. he pretty much reiterated what was asked the last interview.

Interview Questions

• it was pretty straight forward from what i could remember. nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Multimedia and Conference Support Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Institute for Defense Analyses (Alexandria, VA) in November 2011.

Interview

pretty straight forward. Had a phone interview first, which consisted of basic questions of about the position and my experience. then came in for a in person interview with the supervisor, manager and division director. again, basic questions about experience and why i wanted to work there. nothign out of the ordinary

Interview Questions

• what are some of the technologies you have worked on in the past?   Answer Question

Publications Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Institute for Defense Analyses (Alexandria, VA) in October 2010.

Interview

I applied online in June or July and forgot about it; I got a phone call in October and set up an interview for the following week. The interview was with four people in four different rooms: first an HR rep discussing company benefits; then half an hour with a very nice lady with whom I would have been working daily had I gotten the job; then half an hour with the "administrative officer" of the department; and then about fifteen minutes with the department director (I don't think that person liked me). After I left the building, I never heard another word from them.