Institute for Defense Analyses Interview Questions

Updated Jul 3, 2015

2.7

Economist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Institute for Defense Analyses.

Interview

met at annual conference

Interview Questions

• Why is your research any different from just comparing averages?   Answer Question

Security Guard Interview

Interview

The interviewers were the Lead Captain and the Physical Security Manager. They were very professional and courteous. It's a great place to work of you're a researcher if you're a PhD. Folks here tend to work for the company for extended periods. With many retiring.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

A letter arrives in mail, and you call the number provided.

Research Associate Interview

Interview

I applied online and was asked to come in for an interview about a month later. Everyone was very nice and professional by email. They flew me out and put me up in a hotel. I started with an HR interview, which was pretty basic and the HR person was nice and relaxed. I then had a panel interview. Most of the researchers were very nice, polite and asked good questions. One of the researchers was oddly aggressive and outright rude several times. He repeated questions that had already been asked and seemed very uninterested and annoyed. With the exception of this individual, I did find everyone to be professional and cordial, but it was a red flag and a few comments made by other interviewers along the way led me to suspect there are some tensions within the office. After the interview, I never heard from them again and accepted an offer somewhere else.

Interview Questions

• The interviewers asked standard interview questions. Nothing particularly difficult.   Answer Question

Multimedia and Conference Support Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Institute for Defense Analyses (Alexandria, VA) in November 2011.

Interview

first step was a phone interview describing the job and what the position entails. then basic questions on skills and knowledge. the second step was a callback for an interview with the supervisor and manager. that was pretty straightforward. all questions pertaining to my past skill set and why i would be a good fit. then if i passed them there was a third interview with the Division director. he pretty much reiterated what was asked the last interview.

Interview Questions

• it was pretty straight forward from what i could remember. nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Institute for Defense Analyses in June 2015.

Interview

Contacted by email about 2 weeks after submitting application. HR coordinated with me to set up half-day interview (ended up being 3-4 weeks later). Contacted by chair prior to in-person interview to hear more about the position over the phone. The company paid for all expenses to come to the interview and to stay overnight in order to be there in the morning. I met about 6 people individually, so there was not as much pressure as you get with a panel interview. Everyone was very friendly and informative about the culture and expectations as well as job duties and opportunities with the company. Received a phone call offer 1 week later.

Interview Questions

• Why this company? What experience do you have with data collection? Take me through a project you worked on [from start to finish]. What do you want to do in the future? Can you talk about [this theory from writing sample] and how it applies to [discussion item provided]?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Institute for Defense Analyses (Alexandria, VA) in March 2010.

Interview

The hiring process was much like most typical internship processes - throw your resume, cover letter, and transcript into a black hole and hope to hear back. Luckily for me I did hear back. The interview was about half an hour to forty five minutes and the PhD's interviewing me were very nice (seems like they're more brutal with Research Staff Member and Research Assistant candidates than Intern candidates). Week or two later I got the offer.

Research Staff Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Institute for Defense Analyses (Alexandria, VA) in May 2012.

Interview

The style of this interview followed those for faculty job interviews at research universities. A week after I applied I got an invitation for a full-day interview at the HQs in Alexandria. Everybody there was nice. The interview consisted of about 8 half-hour interviews with other research staff members, a one-hour presentation on my research work, and a lunch. All the interviewees were friendly and just wanted to learn about my research work, no hard questions or anything like that. The presentation atmosphere was a lot like colloquium style at universities.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Salary offered was generous.

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Institute for Defense Analyses (Alexandria, VA) in September 2010.

Interview

Met with a member of HR and then two Senior Analysts.

Interview Questions

• How would you conduct research? What would you use to help you with your research?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Institute for Defense Analyses in March 2013.

Interview

Applied for a PhD statistics internship based on the advertisement in Amstat News. They contacted me to setup a phone interview. Two statisticians interviewed me. No technical questions, just asked me some standard questions: Why I wanted to join, what was my research on, etc. Overall a very friendly conversation

Summer Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Institute for Defense Analyses.

Interview

Applied online, had a phone interview a few weeks later. Talked to two associates who were very informative. Completely behavioral with some project specific questions. Received an offer the next day.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation- summer job