Institute of Reading Development

Average Difficulty
16 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Enrollment Coordinator

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Institute of Reading Development.

Interview Details – Two phone interviews. Basic interview process. Prepare for questions in the format of "What would you do, or How would you handle...." The interviewers where very professional, and very nice. Also prepare for a role play. It's pretty easy just follow the script and close every time.

Interview Question – What would you do questions.   Answer Question

South San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Institute of Reading Development in April 2014.

Interview Details – I had two interviews. The first involved questions about the materials they asked us to read prior to the interview - I'm assuming it was to be sure we followed the directions and read the materials. The second was a bit strange, the questions they asked were a bit odd such as "what did you learn from the feedback from the initial interview" or "how would you respond to a parent that said they needed to talk to their husband before making a decision". I have been in sales most of my life - I had no idea how to answer this question because I didn't yet know anything about the various programs they offered or the flow of the call. I must have done ok - I got the job.

Interview Question – "How would you respond to a parent that said they needed to review their summer schedule before making a commitment to the reading program"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation phase. They are very upfront with their pay structure - guaranteed hourly or commission - whichever is higher.

Summer Reading Teacher Interview

Summer Reading Teacher

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Institute of Reading Development in May 2013.

Interview Details – A few days after submitting my essay and job application I received an email inviting to to setup a time to do a phone interview. The phone interview asked about my experience with kids, reading, and involved some role-playing. A day later I as invited to set up a second phone interview. The second interview was more or less them telling me more details of he job and trying to assessment my commitment. At the end of this interview I was offered a job.

Interview Question – They will ask you to roleplay a situation involving a student and parent who seem to be struggling. If you have worked with kids it shouldn't be hard but it is a little awkward.   Answer Question

Summer Reading Teacher Interview

Summer Reading Teacher

I applied online and interviewed at Institute of Reading Development.

Interview Details – The hiring process involves an on-line application with short answer questions, as well as 1-2 phone interviews.The interviews primarily focus on your relationship with books, and they are trying to find out if you will be capable of being warm and direct when teaching and when communicating with parents and students.

Very Easy Interview

Seasonal Enrollment Coordinator Interview

Seasonal Enrollment Coordinator
Port Huron, MI

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Institute of Reading Development in April 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and they sent me an email the following day becasue they could see I was very highly qualified. They had me set an interview and "prepare" for the interview, which was a long study of their company and it's methods. They have a one sided interview, do not let you ask them questions - it is all done to divert you form the fact that you will work when they want and be paid minimum wage, for a short stint unless you become one of their top agents, in which you will still make minimum wage.

Interview Question – This is a statement, not a question... They do not give you one moment in the one hour interview to ask them questions... you'll want to be sure to understand their (lack of) pay, "seasonal" status, lack of job security, etc.   View Answer

Reading Teacher Interview

Reading Teacher

Interviewed at Institute of Reading Development

Interview Details – Great experience! Very transparent and supportive in regards to what they expected.

Interview Question – Situational questions were difficult...such as "What would you do if...?"   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Teacher

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Institute of Reading Development.

Interview Details – I was contacted shortly after submitting my application. The phone interview was mainly situational: What would you do in XYZ situations. I think they are mainly looking for people who are confident enough to lead a classroom of kindergarteners to adults, but also receptive to critical feedback during their 3-week introductory course on how to be a teacher.

Interview Question – What would you do if a student were being disruptive in the classroom.   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Teacher

Interviewed at Institute of Reading Development

Interview Details – There are two phone interviews. The first one is a screening process to see if you are the right fit. The second is to confirm the first call.

Interview Question – What is your fondest memory in relation to reading?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Institute of Reading Development in February 2013.

Interview Details – The application process itself is easy enough. Simply email your resume, fill out a basic questionnaire, and wait. There was a lot of urgency in the advertisement I found for the company, that these positions were needed immediately, and that it was not a high-pressure sales position but more of a customer service position. The next step in the process is a phone call from the company, in which they review the exact same information that's on the questionnaire you've already filled out, with the same kind of employment history and personal background information you find on the average application form, be it online or in person. Once the Q&A is finished, you're given two different websites to go to, with "homework" to complete - print out a few different pages from these websites, listen to some audio files, watch a couple of videos - before your next phone call. The next person to call reviews the information from the previous call, and from the questionnaire, and then gets into specifics about performance in past jobs. Then you're asked if you reviewed the material, and whether you have or not, if you have the daily outline in front of you. The person on the phone will then go through the entirety of the "homework" assignment, with the only discernible purpose being to determine if you actually read the material or not. You will then be told that you have the choice of a morning shift, evening shift, or split shift, but that during the training only a morning shift is available. You'll also be told, again, that the position is not high pressure sales, but more of a commissioned customer service, and that you will have all the support you need to get questions answered, etc, and that the training process is intensive, all inclusive, and lasts two weeks. You're then either given the offer or told that someone will contact you once management has had a chance to review the application.

Interview Question – Nothing out of the ordinary. You'll be asked something along the lines of "When was the last time you had to deal with a difficult or upset customer, and how did you handle it?" Once you answer, they'll ask you more specific questions, based upon that answer.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There are no negotiations. You're told what the pay is, what the commission is, and that's it. The only freedom you have is in determining if you'd like to be part time, full time, or more than part time - and if you choose anything other than full or overtime, you'll be told there's not actually any need for you and the offer will be rescinded.

Novato, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Institute of Reading Development in March 2013.

Interview Details – Easy. They want to hear you know how to sell.

Interview Question – What is the difference between sales and customer service?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – None. Minimum wage and then 3 -6 % commission.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Institute of Reading Development

Worked for Institute of Reading Development? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Institute of Reading Development interview questions and advice. All 16 interview reviews posted anonymously by Institute of Reading Development employees and interview candidates.