Institute of Reading Development

Updated Sep 23, 2014
Updated Sep 23, 2014

2.8

Enrollment Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Institute of Reading Development.

Several interviews to go through. Be prepared to work with initial scripts and role playing. The interviewers were very patient and kind. They coached and encouraged but, they are looking for a certain level of ability. If you have a background in sales or education this would be a good fit. During the training, it might feel like you'll never get it because there is so much information but, when you actually start taking calls, it all comes together.

Interview Questions
    • In role playing, overcoming objections can catch you off guard.   Answer Question
    There isn't much negotiation. Pay rates are pretty set but the ability to make money is in your hands based on how well you handle customers, work ethic, and professionalism. Bonuses are given and are very equitable. You are covered by hourly pay for training and hourly supplement pay if sales are slow.

Enrollment Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Institute of Reading Development.

Two phone interviews. Basic interview process. Prepare for questions in the format of "What would you do, or How would you handle...." The interviewers where very professional, and very nice. Also prepare for a role play. It's pretty easy just follow the script and close every time.

Summer Reading Teacher Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Institute of Reading Development.

The hiring process involves an on-line application with short answer questions, as well as 1-2 phone interviews.The interviews primarily focus on your relationship with books, and they are trying to find out if you will be capable of being warm and direct when teaching and when communicating with parents and students.

Seasonal Enrollment Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Port Huron, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Port Huron, MI

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Institute of Reading Development in April 2014.

I applied online and they sent me an email the following day becasue they could see I was very highly qualified. They had me set an interview and "prepare" for the interview, which was a long study of their company and it's methods. They have a one sided interview, do not let you ask them questions - it is all done to divert you form the fact that you will work when they want and be paid minimum wage, for a short stint unless you become one of their top agents, in which you will still make minimum wage.

Interview Questions
    • This is a statement, not a question... They do not give you one moment in the one hour interview to ask them questions... you'll want to be sure to understand their (lack of) pay, "seasonal" status, lack of job security, etc.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Institute of Reading Development in April 2014.

I had two interviews. The first involved questions about the materials they asked us to read prior to the interview - I'm assuming it was to be sure we followed the directions and read the materials. The second was a bit strange, the questions they asked were a bit odd such as "what did you learn from the feedback from the initial interview" or "how would you respond to a parent that said they needed to talk to their husband before making a decision". I have been in sales most of my life - I had no idea how to answer this question because I didn't yet know anything about the various programs they offered or the flow of the call. I must have done ok - I got the job.

Interview Questions
    • "How would you respond to a parent that said they needed to review their summer schedule before making a commitment to the reading program"   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation phase. They are very upfront with their pay structure - guaranteed hourly or commission - whichever is higher.

Reading Teacher Interview

Great experience! Very transparent and supportive in regards to what they expected.

Interview Questions
    • Situational questions were difficult...such as "What would you do if...?"   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Institute of Reading Development.

I was contacted shortly after submitting my application. The phone interview was mainly situational: What would you do in XYZ situations. I think they are mainly looking for people who are confident enough to lead a classroom of kindergarteners to adults, but also receptive to critical feedback during their 3-week introductory course on how to be a teacher.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if a student were being disruptive in the classroom.   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

There are two phone interviews. The first one is a screening process to see if you are the right fit. The second is to confirm the first call.

Summer Reading Teacher Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Institute of Reading Development in May 2013.

A few days after submitting my essay and job application I received an email inviting to to setup a time to do a phone interview. The phone interview asked about my experience with kids, reading, and involved some role-playing. A day later I as invited to set up a second phone interview. The second interview was more or less them telling me more details of he job and trying to assessment my commitment. At the end of this interview I was offered a job.

Interview Questions
    • They will ask you to roleplay a situation involving a student and parent who seem to be struggling. If you have worked with kids it shouldn't be hard but it is a little awkward.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Novato, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Novato, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Institute of Reading Development in March 2013.

Easy. They want to hear you know how to sell.

Interview Questions
    • What is the difference between sales and customer service?   View Answer
    None. Minimum wage and then 3 -6 % commission.