Intel Corporation Hardware Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jun 20, 2015

3.2

Anonymous Employee in Fort Collins, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Intel Corporation (Fort Collins, CO) in April 2015.

Interview

1 phone interview. Mainly about my resume. on site interview with 5 different managers plus behavioural interview. Asked about verilog, synthesis, layout, computer architecture. Delay and power consumption. Different methodology for layout. Timing analysis. RC delay, charge sharing. questions about SRAM. Different components of sram. Verilog to layout using synopsis or cadence.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Intel Corporation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Collins, CO

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Intel Corporation (Fort Collins, CO) in March 2015.

Interview

Went through three interviews: one on university campus, a phone interview, then on site. The on site interview was broken into five major sections each with a different engineer: computer architecture, logic, validation, software, and general personality questions. Individual questions were simple and straight forward, but the interview covered a very wide breadth of topics.

Interview Questions

• Create a test plan for a simple ALU where operands are stored on a stack.   Answer Question
    • How do you synchronize a signal between two clock domains?   Answer Question
    • Design a spice rack for the blind.   Answer Question

Hardware Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Intel Corporation.

Interview

He asked mainly about CMOS basics, Gate tunneling, different types of power dissipation and ways to eliminate, 5 stages of pipeline, Cache Memories, SRAM & DRAM, Verification topics, System Verilog, UVM, DDR2, power area & performance optimization techniques, Physical Design such as Floorplanning, power planning, clock networks.

He asked little about my projects.

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Intel Corporation (Portland, OR) in February 2015.

Interview

Phone call for some general question. On site interview with 4 different people. First person try to make a comfortable interview atmosphere in a small meeting area. Second and third person interview me in a some room with some technique questions. Last one had a lunch interview.

Anonymous Employee in Gainesville, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Intel Corporation (Gainesville, FL) in July 2013.

Interview

Hiring Manager sent an email asking my availability. Job description was for configuring CAD tools according to requirements. He went over my resume, especially projects related to VLSI. He wanted to know if I was familiar with the whole process flow of design. Was also interested in knowing my knowledge of fabrication and asked questions based on how to reduce capacitance in interconnects (use a dielectric with low relative permittivity). Also asked a simple algorithmic question related to an IF condition. Anyway, he staged another two rounds of interview over call, this time with his team for them to assess. The first group asked questions about basics of circuit design, like what are the advantages of using CMOS design and the necessity of both NMOS and PMOS. They also ventured to ask what parallel computing is all about (since that's on my resume). Asked me how I could use MPI to optimize Cadence (weird?). Asked if I minded doing a more software based job. The next team asked more relevant questions. Question on what will be the delay if there is a resistance and a capacitance at the output of an inverter. Also a question on body biasing. Asked if I knew PERL scripting. Asked if I knew SKILL (apparently that's the language they use to optimize their CAD tools). Asked how I would go about implementing a design process (schematic, simulation, floorplanning, layout etc.). Asked if I knew UNIX (basics). Asked what is grep for.

Interview Questions

• Fabrication related, something about the interconnect process that I can't seem to remember.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Intel Corporation (Phoenix, AZ) in December 2012.

Interview

Contacted by the group Manager by email. Was asked if I was available for a phone screen and given some days/dates as time slots to choose from. I replied back with my availability. Never received a call even after emailing to confirm.

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Intel Corporation (Portland, OR) in May 2012.

Interview

Apply on April?and get interview at the end of May, Intel CCDO group.

Interview Questions

• 10.VIA, CONTACT's function in layout
      11.what is cache?and its tradeoff
      12 what's the concept of page in memory
      13.what is virtual memory
      14.what is cache replacement policy?
      15.do you know any script language? I said I know perl.Then some following questions about regular expression
      16.what is stack
      17.what is recursive
      18.what is array
      19.what is hash table?what' the difference of it and array?
      20.what is RISC & CISC?what is intel using now?
      21.what is pipeline?intel uses how many stage?
      22.do you anything about PLL, what's that for?

1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Intel Corporation (Portland, OR) in December 2011.

Interview

The interviewer/manager called me the day before to ask if I was interested in interviewing for a HW design position. This position was an entry-level/college grad position with Intel UMG to get Intel chips into phones. Questions were mostly about hardware not overly difficult but you definitely need to know your IA and embedded systems basics. I personally got very nervous to the point that I couldn't remember some of the most rudimentary things. The guy understood that I was nervous and was very nice and gave me feedback on what he thought of my answers.

Interview Questions

• when you open your computer, what are the parts that you see. Describe their functionality and how they all work together.   Answer Question
    • What are the differences and similarities between phone and computer hardware.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hillsboro, OR

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Intel Corporation (Hillsboro, OR) in November 2011.

Interview

Went to a tech talk by the company when they were at our career fair. A very short overview of the comany followed by a more in depth view of the presenter's group and its relationship to products. A phone interview followed that, and then a day long on-site interview.

Interview Questions

• What was the biggest technical problem I overcame during my coursework and what made it challenging.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hillsboro, OR

Application

The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Intel Corporation (Hillsboro, OR) in February 2011.

Interview

I had a phone interview and was asked basics of comp arch. Then i was called for onsite and i had 7 rounds of technical interview in comp arch, verification of ASIC, logic design, circuits etc

Interview Questions

• Design a digital logic for LRU algorithm.
      Divide clock divide by 13 circuit